Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Does anyone know of a Safari extension or something that will either fix or replace the Youtube search? I did a search a few minutes ago, and the “For You” section was full of videos of people getting murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

SaintFu posted:

Does anyone know of a Safari extension or something that will either fix or replace the Youtube search? I did a search a few minutes ago, and the “For You” section was full of videos of people getting murdered.

That never happens for me could I ask what you searched?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Grassy Knowles posted:

That never happens for me could I ask what you searched?

“Joe fisher midnight burger"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Quick interface question. When docking my MBP I have 3 external monitors in a row with the MBP open under the middle of the three; so a T shape. Is there a way to have the dock appear in the middle screen that has the MBP positioned under it?

I'd ideally like for the screen that has focus to pull up the dock when Opt + CMD + D is pressed instead of it just popping up where ever I last moused to the bottom, but as best I can tell that's not OOTB functionality.

Also CMD + Tab doesn't appear to pull up minimized apps, is that the intended design? I don't really understand why it would bother to list one if it doesn't actually do anything should you select it.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Do you have a VPN or something installed that appears as a virtual network interface?
Nope, nothing like that. The closest thing I have is LuLu (simple firewall) but it seems to happen even when that's disabled.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SaintFu posted:

Go into your Youtube search history and remove whatever triggered those suggestions
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57711?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

FCKGW posted:

Go into your Youtube search history and remove whatever triggered those suggestions
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57711?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

Yeah, I did that a few days ago so that I would stop seeing another video that it kept recommending.

Anyway, I’m trying UnTrap, which seems to be working.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

BobHoward posted:

How to run it: make a plain text file, paste the script into it, then use 'chmod +x' on the script to make it executable. You can now run it just like it's a regular command line program.

It has built in help, just run it without any arguments and it will print it out. The default option is to do nothing beyond printing a list of the dupes found. If you pass the appropriate switch argument listed in the help, it will delete them too. I didn't write anything for rename, so that option doesn't exist.

Thanks again for providing the script and the background! I finally got around to experimenting a bit with it and wow, did it provide a lot of dupes (with no deletion instructions).

I originally assumed that the script was just checking filenames, but since it's comparing the hash, is it safe to assume that if the filename AND the hash matches, they can be safely deleted and only one of them would be preserved?

I spot checked a file and it was duplicated twice and it was indeed the same photograph. It'd take me ages to manually canvas these individually.

e: Not that I would likely be able to tell, but I do have the entire data set backed up in another location and the one I'm working with is separate, so can always restore the original dataset if necessary.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 1, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

SaintFu posted:

Yeah, I did that a few days ago so that I would stop seeing another video that it kept recommending.

Anyway, I’m trying UnTrap, which seems to be working.

So uhhhh are you the only person on the device….?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
That’s a very valid question, OP.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Taima posted:

So uhhhh are you the only person on the device….?

Yes, I’m the only person using this device. I think it’s just YouTube being terrible.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

TraderStav posted:

Thanks again for providing the script and the background! I finally got around to experimenting a bit with it and wow, did it provide a lot of dupes (with no deletion instructions).

I originally assumed that the script was just checking filenames, but since it's comparing the hash, is it safe to assume that if the filename AND the hash matches, they can be safely deleted and only one of them would be preserved?

Yes. The script doesn't care about filenames unless you pass it the "-same" switch, which forces it to only compare files with the same name. Even then it's doing file content comparisons - it doesn't ever declare files as duplicates based on filename alone.

It does two comparison passes. The algorithm is that the first pass hashes the first few kilobytes of every file, then compares all the hashes to generate a list of dupe candidates. The second pass is full-length rechecks of the dupe candidates, and it doesn't use hashing, it's a direct comparison.

If you look at the printed output, files in the left hand column are those which will get deleted if you pass the "-d" switch. You can influence the script's choice of what to delete by passing it two or more directories to scan. It always checks all files in all directories you tell it to look at, but when dupes are found, if one resides somewhere under the first directory, it'll prioritize that one as the one to delete.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

BobHoward posted:

Yes. The script doesn't care about filenames unless you pass it the "-same" switch, which forces it to only compare files with the same name. Even then it's doing file content comparisons - it doesn't ever declare files as duplicates based on filename alone.

It does two comparison passes. The algorithm is that the first pass hashes the first few kilobytes of every file, then compares all the hashes to generate a list of dupe candidates. The second pass is full-length rechecks of the dupe candidates, and it doesn't use hashing, it's a direct comparison.

If you look at the printed output, files in the left hand column are those which will get deleted if you pass the "-d" switch. You can influence the script's choice of what to delete by passing it two or more directories to scan. It always checks all files in all directories you tell it to look at, but when dupes are found, if one resides somewhere under the first directory, it'll prioritize that one as the one to delete.

Interesting, believe I have followed you in that it's properly detecting duplicates based on the content of the file. Since I'm indifferent on which duplicates to delete, I think I will go through with the -d switch and work to merge all the folders into a single folder. Then painstakingly organizing from there.

Thank you!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

L O L

Clearly I did something wrong, added -d at the end and boom, everything but the directories was deleted. Everything

Command was ./FindDupes.pl /Users/username/GoogleTakeout -d

Clearly I misunderstood how this was going to work. I would have thought it was going to flag every duplicate file and delete those, leaving one version of each.

Directory structure

\GoogleTakeout
\GoogleTakeout\Takeout
\GoogleTakeout\Takeout\Google Photos
\GoogleTakeout\Takeout\Google Photos\[Album Name or Year of photo]
\GoogleTakeout\Takeout 2
\GoogleTakeout\Takeout ...

and so on.

Copying over the backup from my server now. Will attempt again in the morning.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SaintFu posted:

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in the room in which you use your Mac?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

TraderStav posted:

L O L

Clearly I did something wrong, added -d at the end and boom, everything but the directories was deleted. Everything

Command was ./FindDupes.pl /Users/username/GoogleTakeout -d

Clearly I misunderstood how this was going to work. I would have thought it was going to flag every duplicate file and delete those, leaving one version of each.

No, you understood the directions correctly, that's the way it's intended to work. I apologize for this result! I wrote the script years ago and there may be some difference in modern Perl behavior that's responsible for this. (I also haven't run it in many many years, so that would be why I didn't see this bug.)

I'll let you know ITT if I figure out the problem, but in the meantime, don't try using the delete option again, it'll probably just do the same thing.

EDIT: gently caress. Confirmed that it's a Stupid Perl Thing. Fixed version of the script:

https://pastebin.com/GeKv7NG6

hey me from about 10 years ago: There's a reason why you switched to Python for poo poo like this later in life, why the gently caress didn't you switch earlier

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 2, 2023

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My work MacBook has started holding on to the Bluetooth connection to my headphones even when it's not playing audio. This is particularly annoying since the headphones are multi-point, so I used to be able to pause music on the laptop or leave a meeting and resume something on my phone. Now (I think since the 13.6 update) I have to disconnect the laptop from the headphones in order to hear anything from my phone. Is this some known issue? Is there a fix?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Does using iCloud storage do weird nonsense to your local filesystems like it does for Onedrive on Windows? I don't appear to have a Desktop directory anymore. The only one on the computer is now in the iCloud directory and appears to function as you'd expect the local one to.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

To those folks who'd be interested, OpenCore Legacy Patcher v.1.0.0 has been released..

OCLP 1.0.0 will allow many older Macs to run with Sonoma 14.0, including many of the just-cut-off 2016 and 2017 Macs.

The only big caveat with OCLP 1.0.0 is that there is no T1 support, which means stuff that needs the cryptographic framework like Touch ID, Apple Pay, and Apple ID login won't work.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 2, 2023

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Warbird posted:

Does using iCloud storage do weird nonsense to your local filesystems like it does for Onedrive on Windows? I don't appear to have a Desktop directory anymore. The only one on the computer is now in the iCloud directory and appears to function as you'd expect the local one to.

You probably have synchronization enabled for those folders. You can disable it in System Settings > Applet ID > iCloud Drive. Looks like Desktop and Documents is what they offer for this right now, not individually either, all or nothing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

BobHoward posted:

No, you understood the directions correctly, that's the way it's intended to work. I apologize for this result! I wrote the script years ago and there may be some difference in modern Perl behavior that's responsible for this. (I also haven't run it in many many years, so that would be why I didn't see this bug.)

I'll let you know ITT if I figure out the problem, but in the meantime, don't try using the delete option again, it'll probably just do the same thing.

EDIT: gently caress. Confirmed that it's a Stupid Perl Thing. Fixed version of the script:

https://pastebin.com/GeKv7NG6

hey me from about 10 years ago: There's a reason why you switched to Python for poo poo like this later in life, why the gently caress didn't you switch earlier

Awesome, thanks for updating the script! I'm in the process of restoring the files and will try this script out instead. Had the genius idea (why didn't I think of doing it earlier) of just running this script right on my UnRaid machine instead of transferring back to my MBP that lacks the space for two sets of the data. Nothing like a 500GB tarball sitting there

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

To those folks who'd be interested, OpenCore Legacy Patcher v.1.0.0 has been released..

OCLP 1.0.0 will allow many older Macs to run with Sonoma 14.0, including many of the just-cut-off 2016 and 2017 Macs.

The only big caveat with OCLP 1.0.0 is that there is no T1 support, which means stuff that needs the cryptographic framework like Touch ID, Apple Pay, and Apple ID login won't work.

Wait didn't Apple Pay work with Macs without a T chip on supported releases of macOS? I know my 2015 iMac does on macOS 12.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait didn't Apple Pay work with Macs without a T chip on supported releases of macOS? I know my 2015 iMac does on macOS 12.

Yeah but I’m guessing newer macOS versions assume/rely on the existence of the chip since they are only officially supported on hardware that has the chip.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just upgraded a TrashCan from Monterey up to Sonoma, runs great but need to address the desktop, it's all white for some reason.. YouTube previews not showing in Safari..

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Just upgraded a TrashCan from Monterey up to Sonoma, runs great but need to address the desktop, it's all white for some reason.. YouTube previews not showing in Safari..

Ty for your service. I will wait with mine. Did you see my post about trashcan ram? I assume yours is already maxed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, looks like I did it the wrong way which was to enable OCLP boot then reboot and run the in-place updater.. needed to create a USB install stick, patch it with OCLP and boot / run the Sonoma installer off the stick

Evidently OCLP needs to slipstream some patches into various system resources on the install image..

Some people say they get away with the updater but it doesn't work for me..

Edit: yup that did the trick, though I just did an install over the borked previous Sonoma. Everything (so far) works including snazzy desktop / wallpaper, though I have yet to test DRM'ed video..

the acid test will be WiFi and Internet Sharing which I need to work for some other outdated equipment..

BTW if anyone is looking for TrashCans be wary if you find one with a D300; Apple shipped a lot of units with defective D300s, they did have a repair extension devoted to that but I doubt they got all of them.. some people just shrugged it off if they weren't doing anything graphic intensive

I found if I ran something like GLviewer I could get artifacts pretty easily after about 10-15 minutes of testing something intensive like Boxing King or whatever..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 3, 2023

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Awesome, thanks for updating the script! I'm in the process of restoring the files and will try this script out instead. Had the genius idea (why didn't I think of doing it earlier) of just running this script right on my UnRaid machine instead of transferring back to my MBP that lacks the space for two sets of the data. Nothing like a 500GB tarball sitting there

No problem on the update, I had to do it for my own peace of mind. It was a 1-line bug too, so not hard to fix.

Perl has this thing where referencing an array either returns its length or treats it as an array access. Which one you get is implicit based on the context of how you're using the array. The rules on this context-dependent behavior apparently changed between when I wrote the script and now.

So, on the line where I intended to check the size of an array containing the list of duplicates for a file, instead it started checking for the existence of that array. The array always existed, even when zero length (no duplicates), which meant the "if" always evaluated true, which meant the script unconditionally deleted all files regardless of duplicate count.

The fix was simple: just explicitly force scalar context, as I should have in the first place. (Or, as mentioned, past me should have written the thing in a more sane scripting language than Perl.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Ty for your service. I will wait with mine. Did you see my post about trashcan ram? I assume yours is already maxed.

Well, I am a poor so unless the RAM price drops to ridiculous levels I'll stick to the 16 GB I found already installed as it lay in the dumpster

Definitely wait if you're doing mission critical stuff cause 14.1 beta does NOT work well with OCLP

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

As someone who has inherited a codebase with a lot of Perl: yechhh

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Last Chance posted:

As someone who has inherited a codebase with a lot of Perl: yechhh

it's a real perl of a language that's for sure

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

OCLP 1.0.1 has been out for a while, been testing on a trash can and a mini 2012, seems to work ok with a few niggling issues

Sonoma feels decent on the trash can, the screensavers leverage a lot of the screen blitting oomph of the D300/500/700s

BTW, Apple has this system utility that works on any Mac that can run at least Ventura / Sonoma that can revive / restore a T2 / Apple Silicoid machine.. works well to wipe the machine clean to factory settings.

Revive just reflashes the system firmware and / or iBridge firmware; restore reflashes all the firmware plus wipes the internal SSD and copies a ready-to-boot OS image to it.

Basically you do a revive if you want to preserve user data, restore is when you wanna the scorched earth route of burning everything away, like after a malware incursion or you want to give the Mac to someone without giving up the data.

You do have to be able to boot into DFU mode to use it but it seems foolproof past that.

The utility will download an bootable OS image OTA directly to the Mac being serviced via a USB-C cable; strange that in this instance they specifically disallow using a TB3 cable.

But what's nice is that you can use an Intel 2018 Mini to reflash an Apple Silicoid, they even allow the use of a USB-A to USB-C cable to do the download.

Once the image is downloaded and verified by the utility, you can reboot the Mac and it'll go straight to the multi language OS greeting, no waiting around or double booting for the system to finish installing itself; it's been loaded with a prebuilt image. Presumably they use a similar process to load OSes onto laptops at the factory.

That OS will be the latest supported OS for that model of Mac; Ventura if it's 2020 or older, Sonoma if it's newer.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 12, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there a way to get rid of this stupid gray rectangle I get around the screen when I click on my desktop?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yes.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

actionjackson posted:

is there a way to get rid of this stupid gray rectangle I get around the screen when I click on my desktop?

In Ventura:

System Settings > Desktop and Dock > Shortcuts > scroll down to Show Desktop and set both options to "-"

In Sonoma:

System Settings > Desktop & Dock > scroll down to Desktop & Stage Manager > click wallpaper to reveal desktop > Only in Stage Manager (not Always which is the annoying default)

System Settings in Sonoma still a horror show of where to move options to where no one would ever guess, at least the search function makes up a little bit for it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

In Ventura:

System Settings > Desktop and Dock > Shortcuts > scroll down to Show Desktop and set both options to "-"

In Sonoma:

System Settings > Desktop & Dock > scroll down to Desktop & Stage Manager > click wallpaper to reveal desktop > Only in Stage Manager (not Always which is the annoying default)

System Settings in Sonoma still a horror show of where to move options to where no one would ever guess, at least the search function makes up a little bit for it.

cool thx!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are macOS settings stored in the cloud somehow so when I get a new Mac or fresh install the OS I can retrieve all my settings from a previous install?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Are macOS settings stored in the cloud somehow so when I get a new Mac or fresh install the OS I can retrieve all my settings from a previous install?

If you have access to your old Mac there’s a painless migration you can do during system setup. It’s so easy my mother did it without help last week.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I don't know that this is a specific Mac thing but I'm on a Mac so I figured I would ask here. Every once in awhile I make videos for my podcast, made up of clips from whatever TV show we're watching and set to a song we commission about the show/cast. So far, I've been using VLC to open the ripped episodes that are on my server, skim around until I find a scene, then use this ffmpeg command to pull the clip out:

code:
ffmpeg -ss 00:13:29  -i "/Volumes/share/Videos/TV Shows/tvshow.mkv" -t 00:00:05 -c:v copy -tag:v avc1 -c:a pcm_s24le -f mov -movflags +faststart "~nameofclip.mp4"
I'll skim a bunch of episodes, make a bunch of clips, then drag those into FCP so I can edit them together into something that people hopefully watch. I'm about to start a new video this week, so I figured I would ask if there's a better/easier/cleaner way to do this?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Don't know about “better” or “cleaner”, but lossless cut certainly qualifies as “easier”, possibly with a side of subler to deal with adding a separate audio track on top.

…but honestly, if you've gotten that far in understanding ffmpeg, it's such primal and core tool that everything else mostly ends up being a UI layer to do something you can do faster by typing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Tippis posted:

Don't know about “better” or “cleaner”, but lossless cut certainly qualifies as “easier”, possibly with a side of subler to deal with adding a separate audio track on top.

…but honestly, if you've gotten that far in understanding ffmpeg, it's such primal and core tool that everything else mostly ends up being a UI layer to do something you can do faster by typing.

I'll take a look at lossless cut, thanks. Fortunately I'm using FCP to disconnect the audio from the clips so I don't need to worry about that (although I only like to use clips where folks aren't talking and those are a pain in the rear end to find in normal tv shows).