Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Traxis posted:

RIP to the Cubs, although I am glad that Cody won't have an opportunity to punish the Dodgers in the playoffs. Look at the brightside, Cubs fans, now you have 13 weeks of Bears football to look forward to.

you fiend!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Traxis posted:

RIP to the Cubs, although I am glad that Cody won't have an opportunity to punish the Dodgers in the playoffs. Look at the brightside, Cubs fans, now you have 13 weeks of Bears football to look forward to.

Rocky Wirtz is dead, no one is left from the 2010 team, and Bedard looks really good. Blackhawks baby hail satan

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Traxis posted:

Not a Bears fan :smuggo:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bregor posted:

Not a Bears fan :smuggo:

Don't think anyone is a bears fan anymore, just a giant gaper's block

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Intruder posted:

Hard to believe the fans didn't want to fill the seats after the team traded off pretty much any player who made any money

Aledmys loving Diaz was the highest paid player this year

e: oh sorry he was #2 by half a million, Trevor May was the highest paid

traded off any player who made any money, then doubled the average ticket price and laid off half of the event staff at the start of the season and halved it AGAIN on Labor Day weekend. On top of the continued yearly tradition of intentional neglect of stadium upkeep (including but not limited to possums nesting in the visitor's broadcast booth). [Fisher would probably post armed guards to shoot fans down before they make it through the turnstiles to count as paid attendance except he'd actually have the pay them.] Generally an all-out attempt to discourage people from coming and failing that make sure they have as miserable a time as possible while there. And then turning around and calling it "lack of support".

Plus a second straight year of the A's token all-star having to make their own travel arrangements to the game/bum a plane ticket off another team's all-star contingent because Fisher won't even pay for that (or for Stomper to join the Parade of Mascots, for that matter).

And he stands to be rewarded for being such a failure as a businessman by getting a new stadium deal in Las Vegas and then flipping the team.

EDIT: Jeurys Familia was the closer at the start of the season and I forget what happened to him but I remember I joked at one point after he actually recorded a Save that he would get DFAed as punishment for it and I can't be sure that didn't actually happen.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
if John Fisher is doing bad things with the A's then why does Rob Manfred so consistently say good things about him when asked? :smug:

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
As disappointing as the Mariners season ended they still won 88 and got nothing from Ty, Geno, and ended up playing Mike Ford a lot because they had no better options.

If they can make 4-5 player additions over the offseason they should be well poised to take a step next year. Or if Julio just hits like he can all season long instead of waiting until June.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

posted in the wrong thread

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 3, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

As disappointing as the Mariners season ended they still won 88 and got nothing from Ty, Geno, and ended up playing Mike Ford a lot because they had no better options.

If they can make 4-5 player additions over the offseason they should be well poised to take a step next year. Or if Julio just hits like he can all season long instead of waiting until June.

On a serious note this should be a wake-up call to Mariners management. You can’t half rear end the offseason like you did in ‘22 - more teams will pass you by.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Kirios posted:

On a serious note this should be a wake-up call to Mariners management. You can’t half rear end the offseason like you did in ‘22 - more teams will pass you by.

I expect them to probably have a disappointing off-season from the standpoint of names or big additions.

Really they need to replace Teoscar in the field, add at least 1 super utility/play every day kind of bat in the infield, and replace both of their primary bench options (Moore looks done and Haggerty was never anything special).

Backup C might be an issue too since Tom Murphy is now made of glass and is also getting into his 30's.

Those players will all be available and they have a strong enough farm to go out and get someone if they really want them, but I think it's going to look a lot like last off-season but more.

Penisaurus Sex fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 3, 2023

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Willson Contreras turned out to be the Cardinals best hitter and Jordan Walker was raking to end the season. Things aren't all bad I guess

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
David Ross benched Seiya Suzuki for like 3 days cause he was completely lost at the plate and it fixed him.

Prior to benching on August 4th: .249/.328/.389 .717 OPS

Post August 4th: .348/.406/.657 1.063 OPS

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Sometimes a reset to clear your head is what you need

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Bregor posted:

When they finally get the E i am going to write a massive effortpost on what a fuckin waste this season was.

I have begun this endeavor and I'm not sure if I'm pleasantly surprised or melting down

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Mike_V posted:

Willson Contreras turned out to be the Cardinals best hitter and Jordan Walker was raking to end the season. Things aren't all bad I guess

Yeah Jordan really impressed me, over September especially. Like I said upthread Contreras actually ended up pulling himself up and I hope they are able to figure out a way to move forward with him that doesn’t involve another public bitchslapping.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Welcome Rays. You never really were in the playoffs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

to be fair to the rays, I don't think their don't ever pay anyone except this one guy plan works if that one guy is likely going to jail

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Aww yeah time to get the playoff losers set list

Miz Kriss posted:

:rip: PLAYOFF LOSERS :rip:

• October 4, 2023
    The Tampa Bay Rays lose the Wild Card Series 0-2

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The Toronto Blue Jays

Most people will say that the 2023 Blue Jays season ended on October 4, but it actually ended on May 25. It was the final game of a stretch of 11 games against the AL East. The Blue Jays went 2-9 in that span falling from third to fifth in the division. It was the defining stretch of the season which proved the Jays did not have what it took to compete. Everything which followed was just a slow, prolonged death.

What killed them was an incredible drop on offensive production across the board. While their pitching and defense was greatly improved, it was not good enough to completely shut down opposing lineups with much frequency. On the other hand, the Blue Jays lineups were frequently shut down, limited to a handful of hits, or they killed their own rallies with groundouts and strikeouts. It's not a coincidence that the Blue Jays second and final grand slam of the season was on May 23 - and that one came off of a position player. That's an active streak of 113 games without a grand slam, and that is not because they have not had the bases loaded during that time - they have, they simply have rarely had much consistent production from bases loaded situations.

It's actually a shame that the Blue Jays made the playoffs at all, because they had absolutely no business being there. They were truly painful to watch. I actually think that the 2021 team which missed the playoffs by one game was a much better team. It was definitely less frustrating to watch. I'm sure there are other people who are willing to put more effort and time into a post-mortem, but I don't want to spend more time on this.

They sucked, and clearly have not learned any lessons this year at all. They will continue to suck.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 12, 2023

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I admire the pessimism before the Blue Jays are actually eliminated

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol have you watched this team, they are actually already eliminated

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I see you are unfamiliar with the 2023 Toronto Blue Jays. So I posted about 40 minutes before they were officially eliminated. Big whoop. I at least waited until midway through the elimination game before calling the season done, unlike a certain unnamed fan of a team which *checks notes* won their division and got a bye.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 5, 2023

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

John Schneider, Guillermo Martinez and Dave Hudgens are baseball terrorists and they have killed my love of the Blue Jays.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Here lie the Blue Jays they never scored

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

John Schneider, Guillermo Martinez and Dave Hudgens are baseball terrorists and they have killed my love of the Blue Jays.

It starts with Shapiro and Atkins

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Did I miss something? Why was Davis Schneider left on the bench? Is he injured? How the hell do you leave off a man hitting .276/.404/.603 on a team that can't hit? I know the Kikuchi decision will be the one magnified more, but this one is inexplicable to me.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Pungry posted:

Did I miss something? Why was Davis Schneider left on the bench? Is he injured? How the hell do you leave off a man hitting .276/.404/.603 on a team that can't hit? I know the Kikuchi decision will be the one magnified more, but this one is inexplicable to me.

his bat was ice cold in september

either the game plan came out for him league-wide or martinez and hudgens ruined him

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Pungry posted:

Because he spent the last few weeks showing that he couldn't hit either. There wasn't a magic bullet, the team as a whole simply underperforms.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

the only guys hitting in august were guys called up from the bisons. that's how bad the jays were at hitting

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Funny you should say that..

Miz Kriss posted:

:rip: PLAYOFF LOSERS :rip:

• October 4, 2023
    The Tampa Bay Rays lose the Wild Card Series 0-2
    The Toronto Blue Jays lose the Wild Card Series 0-2

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
AL East: Dogshit garbage.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MrMidnight posted:

Welcome Rays. You never really were in the playoffs

At least I don't have to hear the national commentator making fun of nobody showing up to a postseason game at 3PM on a Wednesday anymore

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

mcmagic posted:

AL East: Dogshit garbage.

It was a hilariously pathetic showing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It was a hilariously pathetic showing

The Orioles will be next.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Happy the Jays lost playing like poo poo and wasting elite pitching the same way they did all year. If Rogers cared about anything other than the bottom line they'd fire these fools who put all their eggs in one basket but I'm sure they'll run it back and Sportsnet/Pravda will run a million stories about how a team that batted Kevin Keirmeyer at 7 is actually ready to break out.
Also congrats on being the only team in history that was built on defense and pitching but somehow forgot how to run the bases and score more than 1 run. Frauds.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Even if Eddie Rogers decided to can Shapiro and co, he'd immediately hire Kenny Williams sooooooo

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Add Brewers to the pile

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

one last time for posterity . the jays either have insanely hot bats and 0 bullpen or a decent bullpen and 2 homers over 8 games and theres no inbetween. only when the goat gets his flowers will his curse lift

Paper Lion posted:

the blue jays will never win anything ever again until they retire #37 and steib gets into the hof, until then theyre as cursed as the cubs were

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I’m not updating the loser list until all of tonight’s games have concluded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Yeah Jordan really impressed me, over September especially. Like I said upthread Contreras actually ended up pulling himself up and I hope they are able to figure out a way to move forward with him that doesn’t involve another public bitchslapping.

Maybe his knees will start hurting and his body makes his choice for him. I would like the Cardinals to let Herrera get some regular ABs next year