Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

bij posted:

Be careful with raccoons, they're intelligent friends but Baylisascaris procyonis is a bad time.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some brutal UFO stuff? I want spooky unpleasantness.

I watched Hellier as background noise but goddamn season 2 lost the loving plot. I'm down with UFO stuff but S2 rolled into offering libations to fae folk and I was done. I don't want to be a dick about whatever investment anyone has in fairies etc. but loving christ it got lame.

Someone didn't eat their valleé this morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Houle posted:

I feel that if Christian fundamentalists are in control of the Pentagon, that should be looked in deeper considering the full quill peeps keep preparing for the end of days. There's something very terrifying when you mix religion and war implements. I don't want a Comstock, or a full quiver type behind the button.

Is that how Handmaid's Tale ends? Aliens come down and tell us to cut it out?

....okay I see why aliens are a religion. It fits the same inner child psychology of needing a parental figure watching over.

It's a problem that isn't talked about, especially in the air force. There have been multiple scandals around it over the past few decades. Several at the Air Force Academy forcing cadets to adopt fundamentalist views and if you want to get promoted to Major or further in the Air Force it's basically a requirement. Some quick googling and you will find some news articles about it going back a ways.

It's definitely just a coincidence the Air Force is the branch most hostile to the subject.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

taste atlas rated the 100 best breads in the world

https://www.tasteatlas.com/best-rated-breads-in-the-world

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

last night i dreamt i saw the most incredible black triangle footage ever. Taken by a surveying aircraft flying over a river, you could see the triangle below come into view (tubes and cylinders visible on top) and fire rockets to propel itself as though weightless. In the dream I had twice ordered a rare copy of the book about the incident, but it was stolen both times, the second time apparently out of my house. The dream ended with me searching the internet to see if anyone else's copy of the book had been stolen-- clearly the men in black working overtime.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rickshaw posted:

last night i dreamt i saw the most incredible black triangle footage ever. Taken by a surveying aircraft flying over a river, you could see the triangle below come into view (tubes and cylinders visible on top) and fire rockets to propel itself as though weightless. In the dream I had twice ordered a rare copy of the book about the incident, but it was stolen both times, the second time apparently out of my house. The dream ended with me searching the internet to see if anyone else's copy of the book had been stolen-- clearly the men in black working overtime.

This is rad, like a work stress dream but with a bird theme

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

D-Pad posted:

It's a problem that isn't talked about, especially in the air force. There have been multiple scandals around it over the past few decades. Several at the Air Force Academy forcing cadets to adopt fundamentalist views and if you want to get promoted to Major or further in the Air Force it's basically a requirement. Some quick googling and you will find some news articles about it going back a ways.

It's definitely just a coincidence the Air Force is the branch most hostile to the subject.

I did not want to believe you could be right so I did indeed Google it

https://www.newsweek.com/christian-fundamentalists-us-armed-forces-national-security-threat-613428
https://www.salon.com/2014/09/17/air_forces_mind_boggling_violation_members_forced_to_swear_religious_allegiance/

From the Newsweek link:

quote:

The U.S. military has long been seeded with radical Christian fundamentalists—sometimes called Christian Dominionists or Christian Reconstructionists—who believe a "Warrior Jesus" has their backs while they fight against Islam. They believe they are establishing a "Kingdom of God" on earth, starting with the United States, and are predictably anti-LGBT and unfriendly to females among their ranks.
And the Salon one:

quote:

If this is a guaranteed loser, why do it? The answer lies in a culture of Dominionism rampant in the armed services. The Wikipedia definition of this is helpful here: “Dominion Theology or Dominionism is the idea that Christians should work toward either a nation governed by Christians or one governed by a conservative Christian understanding of Biblical Law.” This small slice of extreme Christianity exerts ever more power and influence in the nation’s capital among not only befuddled old generals but defense contractors, consultants, nonprofits and, most of all, badly educated Congress members, like Michele Bachmann. Like the war between Muslim factions in Iraq that hurts mostly Muslims, most of the victims of Dominionism are other Christians.

I am a little in shock right now. This is actually insane. Fundamentalist Christianity is toxic and controlling and evil. So absolutely perfect for our military I guess, but oh my God, what the gently caress. How can this be? I am so upset. End this country already. Give me birds, and give them death.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Yeah but gently caress Bob Dylan though

Didn't we call this ITT like a year ago?

Oh yeah, way longer than that. It's been a persistent rumor in UFO circles for a long time. Also, the Pentagon brass might be smart enough to not say poo poo in public but various fundamentalists, most notably Hal Lindsay of Late Great Planet Earth fame, have been banging on about "UFOs == demons" for decades.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Someone didn't eat their valleé this morning

My personal experiences are pretty benign; I posted about them in this thread. I have family friends that are fairly high level government employees that insist that they have been visited multiple times in the forests of western Virginia - I am inclined to believe them. They scared the absolute poo poo of young Bij describing their encounters with things at their cabin the boonies. Some of the highlights are:

An intense buzzing sound that encompassed their home while equipment went haywire in their barn
Black disc shaped objects entered their room and hovered above them in bed - the wife claims intense feelings of malevolence emanating from them
The same objects entering their friend's cabin and hovering above them - they moved out
Lights appearing in the sky while on diving trips off the coast of VA, the wife claims she could manifest them at will
I have uncles that will not talk about what they saw up there

I am pretty open to accepting their experiences because my family has known both of these people since the late 70s - everyone swears they will never visit them in the mountains ever again.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Azathoth posted:

Oh yeah, way longer than that. It's been a persistent rumor in UFO circles for a long time. Also, the Pentagon brass might be smart enough to not say poo poo in public but various fundamentalists, most notably Hal Lindsay of Late Great Planet Earth fame, have been banging on about "UFOs == demons" for decades.

maybe redfern most notably in the public eye with "final events" that saw a lot of press when it came out.

LtDan
May 1, 2004

More superconductivity experiments

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

bij posted:

My personal experiences are pretty benign; I posted about them in this thread. I have family friends that are fairly high level government employees that insist that they have been visited multiple times in the forests of western Virginia - I am inclined to believe them. They scared the absolute poo poo of young Bij describing their encounters with things at their cabin the boonies. Some of the highlights are:

An intense buzzing sound that encompassed their home while equipment went haywire in their barn
Black disc shaped objects entered their room and hovered above them in bed - the wife claims intense feelings of malevolence emanating from them
The same objects entering their friend's cabin and hovering above them - they moved out
Lights appearing in the sky while on diving trips off the coast of VA, the wife claims she could manifest them at will
I have uncles that will not talk about what they saw up there

I am pretty open to accepting their experiences because my family has known both of these people since the late 70s - everyone swears they will never visit them in the mountains ever again.

That is intense as hell and I am sorry for my snarky comment. I meant no disrespect.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I am a little in shock right now. This is actually insane. Fundamentalist Christianity is toxic and controlling and evil. So absolutely perfect for our military I guess, but oh my God, what the gently caress. How can this be? I am so upset. End this country already. Give me birds, and give them death.

Courage, LAB. Shine light into darkness

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

That is intense as hell and I am sorry for my snarky comment. I meant no disrespect.

Hey no worries! I am on board with accepting anyone's experience(s) - I err on the side of the mundane but I want to understand the experience, not cast judgment!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Barry Foster posted:

Courage, LAB. Shine light into darkness

In the fundamentalist belief system, intelligent extraterrestrial life cannot, therefore does not, exist. They're absolutely certain. Proof of its existence is thereby also proof fundamentalism is, fundamentally, wrong. There's a saying here that can apply to Disclosure. Something about... two birds... one stone...

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I did not want to believe you could be right so I did indeed Google it

https://www.newsweek.com/christian-fundamentalists-us-armed-forces-national-security-threat-613428
https://www.salon.com/2014/09/17/air_forces_mind_boggling_violation_members_forced_to_swear_religious_allegiance/

From the Newsweek link:

And the Salon one:

Yep, it's not talked about nearly enough and should be a much bigger deal than it is. It's why I take it seriously when people say high ups are against studying UAPs and disclosure because they believe they are demons. It sounds ridiculous at first but then when you take into account the Air Force stonewalling this issue at every opportunity for decades and the Air Force being rotten with fundamentalists it has the ring of truth.

The really hosed up thing is they could very well be right in the sense that whatever the UAPs are they are the same thing that originally spawned the idea of demons in our cultures even if they aren't literally from hell.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

D-Pad posted:

Yep, it's not talked about nearly enough and should be a much bigger deal than it is. It's why I take it seriously when people say high ups are against studying UAPs and disclosure because they believe they are demons. It sounds ridiculous at first but then when you take into account the Air Force stonewalling this issue at every opportunity for decades and the Air Force being rotten with fundamentalists it has the ring of truth.

The really hosed up thing is they could very well be right in the sense that whatever the UAPs are they are the same thing that originally spawned the idea of demons in our cultures even if they aren't literally from hell.

Demons, or even worse, angels. Think of how hard they are gonna take it when they find out Jesus was an alien!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Turpitude posted:

Demons, or even worse, angels. Think of how hard they are gonna take it when they find out Jesus was an alien!

As hilarious as that would be if that were the case I feel like they would immediately try and nuke the aliens for heresy and start a religious war.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Turpitude posted:

I'd have Joan Osborne 5150'd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDdOnl0bHO4

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

answer the question general are the angels christians or muslims

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Saucer Hovers posted:

answer the question general are the angels christians or muslims

trivial to ascertain: are they made of fire or light

well i guess christian angels arent really anything in particular these days but back before christianity they were deffo made of fire

also i guess if theyre made of fire they might be jinn impersonating a hebrew angel but that feels like creating complication for the sake of it

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Encounters is incredibly good. Please watch.

Finished this up and I agree. Only 4 episodes so it's nice and tight, covers good events, classic Netflix docu editing.

Worth the watch for sure.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

DOOM was disclosure

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Squizzle posted:

when will science finally acknowledge the existence of circles

(there's a venn diagram joke in here, I just know it)

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

Mola Yam posted:

jesus christ joe, she's only aitee

I can't believe this 2 year old post is still banging around in my head

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Turpitude posted:

which would be worse for them:
Jesus was an alien?
Jesus shooing heroin?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

which would be worse for them:
Jesus was an alien?
Jesus shooing heroin?

alien. if they were a heroin user this could easily be spun as smth redemptive, in the way televangelists and ppl like mike lindell spin their own tales of addiction cum redemption narratives to further their own ends

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

There's more than enough missing time in Jesus' timeline to fit in a bender

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Houle posted:

It doesn't even make sense seeing as how angels are in the Bible zipping about. There's this weird demon obsession in American Christianity.

Like most things in America, it's projection.
The fundies know they're horrible creatures.

Turpitude posted:

"Next thing you know these independent civvies will be trying to turn Jesus brown, grey, or gay!"
- Pat F.H. Fallwall; 4 star general, USSF

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Lux Anima posted:

(there's a venn diagram joke in here, I just know it)

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

In the fundamentalist belief system, intelligent extraterrestrial life cannot, therefore does not, exist. They're absolutely certain. Proof of its existence is thereby also proof fundamentalism is, fundamentally, wrong. There's a saying here that can apply to Disclosure. Something about... two birds... one stone...
Ah, right:

Those who categorically refute magic are doomed to never find it. That's a venn fairy ring, friends~ :cosmic2day:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pooky posted:

I can't believe this 2 year old post is still banging around in my head

I can't believe it's been two goddamn years

Carp
May 29, 2002

Commander Sisko, First Orb Experience
https://soundcloud.com/integral-carp/commander-sisko-first-orb-experience

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Doesn't the ability to map it out tend to discount the idea of it being spiritual?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Nichael posted:

Doesn't the ability to map it out tend to discount the idea of it being spiritual?

With all due respect, Mr. Spengler, it is a simply a mystery... :shrug:

Why would there be a hallucinatory drug that people have reported meeting otherworldly spiritual forces while under its effects, and why would the human brain have a biological function that releases a large store of it at once during death-adjacent-experiences?
Do you not see how this could serve as evidence of intelligent design? Something in the DNA code of us innately wants us to be able to reach out to a higher spiritual plane in what we might feel to be our dying moments

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Nichael posted:

a physical aspect cannot preclude a spiritual aspect if meat can have souls

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

New Grusch video. I haven't watched it yet.

https://youtu.be/kwsWAQ9sJZE?feature=shared

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
what is spirituality

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Nichael posted:

why the gently caress would it

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I guess it just makes me think this is an evolutionary tactic to make animals less prone to extreme behavior that would be disruptive to others during things like that. I'd like to believe it means something more, I don't know.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUo7bs4jgno

I love the combination of eldritch horror and the pilot’s very piloty commentary.

aside from the silliness, maybe what a post ontological-shock future might resemble, in some hosed up timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Nichael posted:

I guess it just makes me think this is an evolutionary tactic to make animals less prone to extreme behavior that would be disruptive to others during things like that. I'd like to believe it means something more, I don't know.

there very well could be a valid evolutionary explanation of this brain activity, as there is for every other aspect of our biology. but again, what does that have to do with anything? existence is spiritual. here we are. yes we evolved- so the gently caress what?