Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
“This is a sneaking mission, Visaria.”

Also these feel like cutscenes that would always play “Sometime, Somewhere.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
This entire questline feels like a shaggy dog story.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That's more or less the story of her life, yes.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Like actually unironically I think the Atarefaunet quests are super important in understanding part of Chains. We will have that talk later when the Chains ending rolls. For now those who want to know why this was already important try reading update 3 again. 25 and 28 also have a guest appearance. This being a really good backstory for Visaria was pure serendipity. Visaria spoilers I guess: I don't think I'll ever actually outright say it but they are blood related in some way in this interpretation of 11, next update at least hints at it. The age gap is large enough that it would be either father or uncle. It also makes all her interactions with him feel a lot different when you go back and look at them which I kinda like. So if you want Visaria's full name it would be (actual spoiler): Visaria N Remevel. Her luck is inherited it turns out.

There are 5 quests in total, 3 being the Thief AF and two being part of a random chain. I actually wouldn't be surprised if some of the veterans in the thread haven't done them all. I myself will never do all the things in FF11. Go play it yourself someday dear reader and find some neat stuff I missed or didn't show off. I know there is good stuff out there I don't know about just waiting for me to trip over it. Saga of the Skyserpent? Never done it. It will be a treat for all of us in like a year.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I would say, after 21 years, someone out there has done every single quest in the game. I do not envy that person.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

61: Three Paths Interlude 3: Happily Ever After

Vauderame mentioned a traitor killed Atarefaunet but that wasn't the whole story. Atarefaunet made it to the San d'Oria dungeons, captured by two bounty hunters but not before taking one of them out. There he died. Poisoned before the executioner could have his day with him. Romantics like our princess think he could still be out there.

"I dunno Nanaa I think some of them might... murder us... No actually I know some of them will murder us..."

At this point the princess could have walked away and still have been living a reasonably happy life with her grass earnings. Until the Zilart eventually did the thing and the world ended.

Unfortunately for the princess she was a romantic. This type of thing was "fun" or some sort of nonsense.

First stop, Jeuno.

Wait princess go back to that part about the treasure being in Garlaige! No that would be too easy. Forget it.

She was literally in tears while buying these grenades. This was her life savings. But Nanaa will pay her back she thinks... The treasure will be worth it she hopes... These are delusions but we won't tell her that and ruin her day.

If you stop reading this story now you won't have to see the princess metaphorically and literally die later.

To our girl's credit she doesn't say Nanaa Mihgo.

This is going to be a problem.

There are 7 holes total and they need to be smoked in the correct order. After smoking the right one a direction is given over two floors of the citadel. Eventually you'll get to the last hole and this must all be done in one go, you can't come back later and have your progress saved. If you get knocked out you start over.

The ceiling isn't the problem... The bomb is. The moment it sees a target it self destructs. There are a few ways to deal with this glaring issue. I made a pun you see.

1. Stun it.
2. Pull it back and have your party light it up from range
3. Hit at least once it and let it blow up in your face
4. Immediately go invisible while it spawns in then one shot it while it looks for someone who isn't there

Remember if you drop you need to do this all again. If the bomb blows and you didn't get a hit on it you get no item, but it respawns at the same ceiling spot after 5 minutes.

Yes that kind of damage will kill anything not level 99.

Imagine our princess ever being a threat to anyone.

"I haven't eaten since the mithkabob... Also I got exploded..."

She actually remembered. I'm impressed.

And so our two thieves head off to Ordelle's Caves or rather all the way through it. Where the band was told to gather... And the girls haven't been the most stealthy about this whole thing... I hope they brought a shovel or something.

This is kind of exciting isn't it? Will it be a world ending sword? Maybe some kind of glowing crystal? The possibilities are endless!

Now now Nanaa, the princess did good. Maybe buy her dinner later. Please.

The princess thinks this is a pretty good treasure. It must be worth something since it belongs to...

There was no escape from this, the only way out of the ravine was back through the cave.

This compliment earned no smug comment from Nanaa. There was no delight from the princess.

Their names were known.

The princess knew all the stories that were told of these thieves. Merciless. It is how they had survived for 20 long years after the war. The only thing they left behind were the stories. The warnings.

The king of thieves.

Even as the arrow hit her, she still wanted to be like Atarefaunet.

She wanted friends who would wait for her for 20 years.

She wanted a family.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ugggh....

Yeah...

I decided to become an adventurer shortly after that. I don't know if it was the disappointing legendary chest that pushed me over the edge or if it was something else. I just didn't want to be a thief anymore.

It wasn't the morals of it, it wasn't the danger, it wasn't the poverty... Turns out all that is worse as an adventurer. No there was just something I couldn't find. Something I couldn't steal.

And I can't remember what it was anymore.

And that annoys the hell out of me.

I keep getting a whiff of it every now and then. My treasure. I swear I had it in my hands but they are just empty whenever I look. Was it something that was stolen from me? I want it. I need it.

Once upon a time I was happy and now I'm not.

Next time: The third path

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 13, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
This is a pretty neat side story.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

The ceiling isn't the problem... The bomb is. The moment it sees a target it self destructs. There are a few ways to deal with this glaring issue. I made a pun you see.

1. Stun it.
2. Pull it back and have your party light it up from range
3. Hit at least once it and let it blow up in your face
4. Immediately go invisible while it spawns in then one shot it while it looks for someone who isn't there

Remember if you drop you need to do this all again. If the bomb blows and you didn't get a hit on it you get no item, but it respawns at the same ceiling spot after 5 minutes.

I had to re-quest this and definitely blew myself up without hitting it once. :argh:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

A few updates late, but now that it's been brought up by Diabolos, are we going to see Dynamis?

I think chronologically the cities come after defeating the Shadow Lord, I can't remember the unlock requirement for the Dreamlands Dynamis.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Kazy posted:

A few updates late, but now that it's been brought up by Diabolos, are we going to see Dynamis?

I think chronologically the cities come after defeating the Shadow Lord, I can't remember the unlock requirement for the Dreamlands Dynamis.

Already have the first set of Dynamis recorded but I want to do Monk first.

I may also already have a relic weapon on the last step before grinding weaponskill kills.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 62: Luck

I don't hate Louverance. Our Louverance. He can't be trusted. He constantly tries to ditch me. He says he works for the church. I'm not making this sound like not hate... I have no idea what he is actually doing. When I sit there and stare into the back of his skull trying to find answers it drives me mad.

Anyway Ulmia's grandpa is in charge more or less so let's ask him if he has seen Louverance.

The old man has discovered that decades of words have consequences.

That was fast.

This feels right. This one is mine.

Yeah. This one is mine...

He's such a slimeball... I can respect that.

Please leave important notes somewhere better than the temple of Uggh.

I know why. I'm not saying it out loud though.

And that is why I'm letting Louverance(?) do what he is doing. Grandpa is still pretty awful and deserves a little gaslight.

We are not going to find any sin hunters as they are currently chasing a star wielding Prishe around. I absolutely am not saying that out loud.

He has learned by this point I'll get there first. This did however make me realize this is the first time I've actually been on a trip with just him. Hrm.

Yep.

(What a huge nerd...)

Yep no idea where they could be. Well this sucks guess I can't be tricked into going to the 5th crystal then. Shame.

Ugh....

I really really don't want to deal with Zilart right now.

Alas, I was always dealing with the Zilart. I was never not.

Ugh...

You know drat well I don't believe a single word the San d'Oria branch says. At this point if you want the actual truth of the world you'd need to speak to the Zilart and that isn't happening.

She's fairly unreachable unless you want to die.

Boy you have some real shady friends.

My chest starts to hurt a bit.

Normally I'd kill him but... I don't know I can't explain it. I don't think the pain is from the mirror.

I have the zoop to the island. I'm sure none of this has to do with Al'Taieu or the Cardinal but it does seem like it has to do with Louverance's past and I need to solve the riddle of... him...

My head is full of stupid stories and history. It's how I used to keep myself entertained once upon a time. "Goldmane" was a bounty hunter. He rode a big chocobo and would sink into it's feathers. The chocobo was named Silver Comet. Pretty cool name I guess. He also had a partner who died right before retiring, Goldmane was blamed for it. This is kinda making me sad for some reason.

I let out a deep sigh and zoop off.

Next time: The past can't hide

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I like how NPC's will ask you what you make of things but then just ramble on without any player input.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

I like how NPC's will ask you what you make of things but then just ramble on without any player input.

"What say you, Visaria?"

/think motion

*another NPC enters and answers the question for you*

Rinse and repeat forever, congratulations, you are now a writer for FF XI.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The player is regarded as a particularly stupid yet undeniably powerful weapon that all the NPCs point at whatever the plot demands needs to die.

Even when they tell you not to follow them, it's probably guilt trip theatrics intended to get you to follow them anyways. "Oh no don't worry about me, I'll just go off and die alone. Hint hint."

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 63: Goldmane

Normally you need to buy a boat ticket from some Mithra and ride over to this middle of nowhere island. Luckily I've been here hunting before and grabbed the book for easy zooping.

This thing seems wildly out of place.

He actually made it here pretty fast.

Onslaught

Hmm?

Well. You broke it...

And now we have these things here.

Ah. I'm going home.

Time to parse what is going on...

Hold up guys I'm still trying to figure out the mandragoras.

Okay so yeah those mandragora sounded a lot like some triplets I know.

Is this their father?

I've already pieced together what is happening I think.

I went treasure hunting with Naana Mhigo once...

It was the treasure of a man I greatly admired. It was... pretty disappointing all things told.

I still have the boots, never sold them.

A part of me wants this fantasy happening before me to be real.

And a part of me says "Don't". Don't think about it. Don't want it.

Rochefogne?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onslaught

Maybe I shouldn't have followed Louverance here... A younger me would have loved this. However this hurts me. Not like emotional pain, well some, but like my chest is actually hurting. Don't get me started on whatever my brain is doing when I try thinking about Rochefogne's connection to this. I'd go to a doctor but that is how I ended up like this.

He walks off and I just stand here dumbstruck. Oh! I was so busy putting things together that I never told Goldmane his kids were fine(by some definition). Too late now... Also I may kill them the next time I see em. Eh...

I do still have a job to do though. Maybe. Atarefaunet can probably handle this himself but I kinda want to follow him for the fun of it. It may hurt but it kinda makes me happy too. What is he gonna do to stop me? Kill me?

Next time: Visaria has a gambling problem

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Truly a terrifying warmachine.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 64: Moblins

Within Gusgen Mines lies a city of Goblins. Most Goblins are nomadic, these ones are special. Moblins they are called and they are not the most friendly gobs. When looking for where a cursed statue was dug up from in the Bastok adjacent area a good first stop is Movalpolos.

Movalpolos

This is what happens when I can't zoop. I get beaten to places.

Hrm...

Off he goes after the kid. Well... Time to try talking to Moblins.

We have two choices. One Moblin will teleport us to where we need to go for a special flower(we can buy for about 10-30k gil). The other we gamble for a key by rolling dice. By wagering 1-10k gil you increase your chance of winning to a maximum of about 50%. Once you win you need to pay him another 2k to warp you.

I choose the non gamble path. You can also just walk there but this place is a hell maze and I'd pay an airship full of gil to not engage with it.

I'm sure this will be fine.

Don't mind me.

Considering the goal is to get me to the fifth crystal... I should have seen it coming... Though this is odd in that he doesn't usually show up without me around I think.

Speaking of surprises.

Sounds good to me. Let's go Louve...

This is karma I think.

You all know he can just vanish right?

Next time: Back and forth(to and fro)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Insert the ancient Jabbos Defense meme here.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So are all the moblins peaceful to the player character? I think it's cool seeing less hostile "monster races."

Also lmao of course the goon squad shows up the moment Visaria is making progress. She must be dreaming of knocking over the platform and sending everyone flying screaming into the abyss.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

So are all the moblins peaceful to the player character? I think it's cool seeing less hostile "monster races."

Nope, Visaria is just a high enough level to make most Goblins not want to try their luck. These are specifically much ruder Gobs than the ones on the surface which is why Jabbos hanging out down here for 100 years is bizarre.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 65: Diplomacy

Look everyone was running in swinging so I may as well do it too.

Why am I here again?

Bombs are illegal but so is tickle torture so I guess I can't complain.

We can just fit through the bars kid. Cool it until they leave.

Yeah... Just yeah....

Look I have a Promathia at home. I can go get her. You all can keep the kids as insurance.

Yeah this doesn't seem like something we are talking our way out of. Back to the slip through the bars plan.

Goddess help me.

Selh'teus this is stupid. This is actively making me dumber.

Finally.

Fine by me, we confirmed the statue came from here too.

We are done with the three paths after this right? Going back to Cid. Finishing up.

COME ON!!!

I didn't do this. Technically.

I'm Visaria.

Three paths was over though...

I have to buy another flower...

Next time: Misunderstandings

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Maybe the Moblins just don't attack Jabbos because that's just going to make him talk at them sloooooowly even more.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 66: Jabbos

... Also I need to find a golden key off a random Moblin in the area because they locked the door this time.

He looks fine.

You've been to Jeuno and know perfectly well gobs can understand just fine. However, these gobs are... kinda different... I hate to say it but I agree with him. They may accept one person over 100 years but they will never accept us as a whole.

Look man...

An iron giant eh? Glad I'm never gonna run into one of those.

You aren't making a great case...

Ah... Yeah. That's an oppsie.

Here we go again.

Fudge... I'm gonna end up at the fifth crystal for sure...

This is all sorts of awkward.

Ouch. Well at least it was only 100 years.

*Cough*

We(and by we I mean Louverance) are(is) kinda responsible for this.

That sounds like the end of this trip to me!

You are all welcome.

I'm going to give you a wedgie if you suggest that again.

This is fine and cool with me. It keeps him out of trouble.

And there goes the chest pain again... I'll look into that later.

I have my top cat girls on it.

Well he would have found out about the Star sooner or later...

It would be really convenient if Ulmia came through the door and told us they found Prishe right about now...

Next time: Gathering the party

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh man, I hope we find the iron giant.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Jabbos talks like that one kid from Malcolm in the Middle.

Also does this mean Three Paths is over? I genuinely don't remember.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Ah yes, the big twist of CoP: the beast tribes aren't the children of Promathia: ...but if they aren't, then who is?! :iiam:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Melomane Mallet posted:

Ah yes, the big twist of CoP: the beast tribes aren't the children of Promathia: ...but if they aren't, then who is?! :iiam:

The crabs.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Bregor posted:

Jabbos talks like that one kid from Malcolm in the Middle.

Also does this mean Three Paths is over? I genuinely don't remember.

Our national nightmare is over and we have really cool updates coming up.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

Is it those three loving tarutaru kids?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Bregor posted:

Is it those three loving tarutaru kids?

I mean they DO keep asking who their dad is.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 67. Roads That Run So Near

Close enough. Anyway sounds like she's in Jeuno.

Annnnnnd she's gone.

There's a little guard room off to the left. It's usually good for getting Wolfgang to show up. They have some kinda Visaria alarm I think. Let's see if they have spotted her yet.

Like I said there is like a little red flashing light or something. Do I really loiter around here looking for Wolfgang THAT much? Eh anyway Prishe turned herself in. This is honestly a pretty safe place for her.

I step outside with the anxious bean.

Sorrow

On any other day I'd already be breaking her out. She does the things she does for reasons only her brain can explain and I can't keep up with her. This is a precious moment where I do not actually have to worry about Prishe.

Heh heh! Time to run up a tab in Aldo's name. Come on Ulmia!

Anxiety

Doing a head count, all my dinguses are here.

I've done a lot of leg work and I'm tired and I'm going to eat while they try explaining this mess to Ulmia.

I take one last bite because it is going to be hard to eat over the sound of Ulmia's breaking heart.

Well... That could have gone either better or worse.

(Pain)

Tenzen leaves. I head off to Ru'Lude to find Ulmia.

Sorrow

I walk with her over to the palace. I need to go have a talk with Esha'ntarl.

Next time: The top of the rollercoaster

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Everyone: "oh no! the ancient god of horrorful horrors will awaken! it'll horrorfy us!"
Jabbos: "that would really piss off the moblins, too"

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

gently caress me... I have to work FF14 into this now.

Also keep discussion of it in spoiler bars for those not looking at certain things.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 21, 2023

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 68. The Whisper Of The Soul

After dropping Ulmia off I head for the stairs annnnnnnd...

I'm walking up these stairs at the moment.

... Look I just promised Ulmia I was gonna fix this somehow...

Yeah sorry that one was me actually. Also I killed the Archduke.

I snicker.

Yeah it's a real fricker of a problem ain't it?

A real fricker of a problem...

I let out a deep sigh as the ducal guard scurries off. So the three little bastards went off to Tavnazia... Someplace in Tavnazia... They are probably with Nag'molada. As I can't find Esha'ntarl at the moment Nag'molada will have to do. The search begins.

And ends...

This is what I've labeled as Ulmia's door, there are orbs guarding it that look like the ones I encountered when fighting Eald'Narche. If it smells like Zilart then it must be ZIlart.

Also I put on the good gear for this. I may have to kill multiple people or wyrms today.

Oh Esha'ntarl... Well this is fine.

First Ode: Nocturne of the Gods

Good question...

Finally. Answers.

Unfortunately I can never have answers.

Turmoil

May I have permission to kill him?

What are you even going on about?

This is incredibly petty.

NOW can I kill him?

Oh. I get it. Fine no stabbing today I guess.

Grav'iton

The whisper of the soul... What did Selh'teus do to me?

Next time: Putting the bullets in the end of the world gun

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Yeah sorry that one was me actually. Also I killed the Archduke.

I snicker.

:razz:

Nag’molada Stop Talking Challenge [impossible]

I would like to have a version of this game where you can just take somebody out in the middle of a cutscene. Sure, you’d get a game over/time paradox or whatever. But it’d be worth it!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The Adventures of the Wrongest Man Alive.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I expected all the other Zilart and Kuluu to be at least somewhat like him, their entire organization full of nothing but varying degrees of the worst idiot, but no it appears he has pioneered new ways of being the worst, multiple orders of magnitude beyond what the ancient and manipulative order of the black robes is capable of.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 69. Cardinal Mildaurion

We all head back to Jeuno. Lots of terrible things are about to happen and we need to workshop a plan that limits widespread death.

See? No one wants to see airship battles happen with Bahamut. Explosions are not cool.

Oh right we brought these nerds back too.

Hey Ulmia.

The list is long.

I... I think these idiots might be smart.

Or at least they have a strong sense of self preservation.

Heartwarming.

(The Emptiness was pulled out of her and made the star... What did Selh'teus do with my Emptiness then?)

The girls sulk out of the chamber.

I refuse to assist in you dying.

No.

Nope.

.... Luck...

Next time: We go get the thing that does the thing

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Oh great Louverance is gonna help…

I do like that the MacGuffin is a song, it fits well thematically and also CoP OST rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I have lost track of this story entirely but I look forward to airships shooting at dragons.