Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I would love to see a version of Teeth that had a woman involved in the writing, directing, or editing in some capacity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

That sounds rad, I was considering checking them out already but now I’ll bump them up the reading list.

There are also audio book versions with a full cast that are exactly as amateurish and over the top as a Vampire Hunter D novel should be.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Skrillmub posted:

There are also audio book versions with a full cast that are exactly as amateurish and over the top as a Vampire Hunter D novel should be.

Graphic Audio: we started with dad fiction for long haul truckers, now we're doing light novels.

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

7) Blacula (1972)

Samuel Arkoff seem to have caught wind to the success of Shaft and Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song and decide to probe the market with something he knew, horror.

It starts out decently enough: Prince Mamuwalde from "the jungle" has come to Transylvania in the 1700-hudreds to discuss ending the slave trade with Dracula. The count takes offence and curses Mamuwalde to undeath, to become... Blacula!

After some turns, he wakes up in 1970s Los Angeles and what follows is bog-standard vampire stuff, except that he's black. You get some reincarnated lost love, doctors and policemen baffled over bitemarks and of course nightclub scenes with lots of live music. To no-ones surprise, the sound-track consists of funk. Occasionally there's some attempts at humor, but it just isn't funny, nor is it scary. The only highlight is William Marshall's perofrmance as Blacula, he adds a sense of loss and dignity to the role.

:spooky:HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE:spooky: 3/3
:spooky:NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 3/6

Lamanda fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 31, 2023

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

18) Nosferatu - 1922 - Tubi

This film is essentially an unofficial/unauthorized adaptation of Dracula. It's been streamlined down to the main characters of Harker/Hutter, Dracula/Orlok, Mina/Ellen with it moving fairly quick from Hutter's time in Transylvania, realizing Orlok's a vampire and the arrival in Wisborg and Orlok's defeat by Ellen.

Despite all the changes made, it was still enough for the Stoker estate to get sue-happy. The courts ruled in their favor and an order issued for all copies of Nosferatu to be destroyed. Obviously, some survived. It's this backhistory of this film that keeps me hoping other at this time lost films might someday turn up.

I first saw this film on PBS when they'd do an occasional night of just silent films, and I was hooked at first watch. Visually, it's stunning. So much of the imagery and cinematography laid the groundwork for so much of early horror cinema, this film's a need to see just for film history alone.

There was a remake in '79 which is pretty faithful for the most part and apparently there's another remake in the works with Bill Skarsgård as Orlok which wrapped up principal filming in May of this year. Count me as definitely intrigued.

Basebf555 posted:

GENERAL/META BONUS CHALLENGES(18 TOTAL)

:spooky:AROUND THE WORLD:spooky:

Watch a movie from 4 different continents, excluding North America.

Germany (Europe)

19) The Boogeyman - 2023 - Prime

Stephen King's Night Shift is chock full of some incredible short stories. Many of them have been adapted to film such as Children of the Corn, The Mangler, Trucks, Quitter's Inc, The Ledge. Hearing there was going to be one for the Boogeyman which hadn't seen an adaptation since the film short included in the 1994 Night Shift Collection, I was curious.

It does hew close to the short story with some deviations since the story's more dread than action. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't particularly stand out either. I think it would've hit harder if the focus was more on Sawyer than Sadie. The boogeyman's design was intriguing, coming across as something in a warped skin suit.

Overall, it's a fine enough creature feature.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I watched Nosferatu for the first time on its 100th anniversary, and it really blew me away. It's beautiful, the atmosphere holds up to this day and even surpasses many that came after, the music is amazing, and once you learn that FW Murnau was queer so many of the decisions make all the sense in the world. It really moved me.

Speaking of black and white horror...

4. The Uninvited (1944)
Wow, this movie was a great surprise! It's a very, very slow burn mystery that isn't really a haunted house movie at all but rather a movie about ghosts, the supernatural, grief, and mourning. I went into it expecting something more dread-inducing, and I admit that the atmosphere didn't really win me over at first...but it spreads a lot of breadcrumbs to the point that when it gets to some great scenes - the seance scene is amazing - there's a real sense of payoff. Any scene with weird noises happening in the dark house is also a highlight. The funniest part of the movie is how it's supposedly set in England and starring English characters and yet absolutely no one attempts a good accent, opting instead to just clip their words a bit. Maybe that's for the best.

Without saying too much, there's a great twist in the central mystery that turns what you think you've figured out on its head, and that was a moment that really sold the whole film for me. It's very clever, unexpected, and especially for the time I didn't see coming at all.

I single out the seance scene mostly because I find it extremely cool that decades before Ouija Boards people were still trying to communicate with spirits using the same methods they clearly co-opted for the toy - a table full of letters, people in a circle all with their fingers on a cup, a Yes and No card on either side. It's charming, surprisingly intense, and a whole lot of fun.

It may not have the dread or suspense that similar movies of the time had, but some strong characters (Miss Holloway is awesome) and the central mystery along with a few great paranormal scenes and GREAT ghost effects makes it well worth watching despite the slow pace. I don't think it stands with all the other great classics exactly but it's still interesting.

3.5 Scrabble Tiles Out Of 5

On a side note, since I don't really seek out or choose what movies I'm watching this season when, I'm waiting until I hit the 31 to tally up what fits with the challenges. That said, this might be my entry for Birth Of Horror. The movie is ostensibly set in Cornwall and while I was born in Oxford (and live in the US) there's a minor character with my family name and they keep saying it, which lead to a lot of double takes from me. Very funny.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mover posted:

I would love to see a version of Teeth that had a woman involved in the writing, directing, or editing in some capacity

That might be why it didn't have as much bite. :rimshot:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

October 1 - Teeth

it's pretty much the only vagina dentata film out there.

Lady Terminator (1989)?

The Horror Thread: What are everyone's favorite vagina dentata movies?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

#2: Motel Hell (1980) (rewatch)

Mostly filler and gristle.

Farmer Vincent and his equally demented sister run a roadside motel and also sell human meat as a side hustle. A young girl is taken in by them and almost ends up getting smoked figuratively and literally.

I didn't dig this very much the first time I saw it, and unfortunately a rewatch didn't improve things. If anything, seeing it again only made the sloppy story stand out even more. The main character is a total cipher, who seemingly has no life outside of almost becoming a horror movie victim. She inexplicably falls in love with Vincent, who's like three times her age. That's after she's sexually assaulted by Vincent's brother but decides to remain friends with him. Why the hell is she still hanging around this motel? Why doesn't she go home? Why does the motel practically never have anything to do with the plot?

I know this movie has its fans. Rory Calhoun at least seems to be having fun, and the movie ends on a really funny joke, but without those elements it's a weak stab at what Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 ended up doing much better.

:spooky::spooky:/5

TerrorVision (1986) (rewatch)

Is this the Platonic ideal of an 80s horror movie?

A dysfunctional family's new satellite dish beams down an alien monster, which proceeds to ruin that evening's planned orgy.

Tons of goop. The goofiest tone imaginable. Reactionary politics. Unsupervised minors. Gay panic. This might be the ultimate 80s horror movie. It's hard to imagine this coming out in any other decade without feeling like a put-on. It's so perfectly of its time that it can't help but be a fun watch.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

October Challenge Tally 1. Trick 'r Treat (2007) 2. Motel Hell (1980) 3. TerrorVision (1986)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
4. History of The Occult

This was an alright watch. It held some of my attention but overall I kind of bounced off of it. Its a interesting film and it does a lot with very little. I mean if you like weird horror then I think you'd like this but otherwise I say skip it if you don't like it. Its well directed and acted but I didn't really think there was any pay off.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

4. Alison's Birthday (1981)

Pick a movie based on box art? How can you forget this low budget little number staring at you from the shelves?

The movie is a bit of a slow burn, as a lot of folk horror is, but I really like the ending. The rest of the movie is a little bit of a slog, but the gut punch ending combined with the 'ALISON - ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR YEARS OLD' label is just an excellent callback. I had forgotten they were doing the age cards at the beginning of the movie, so that was a fun little twist.

A decent movie, but other than a memorable twist on the ending, I'm not sure if I'll ever feel like rewatching it again.

Rating: 4.4/10 Miniature Stonehenges In The Back Garden

New to me, it was an Aussie movie, so that fills out a couple other spaces.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

5. THEM! (1954)

I mean, if you're gonna watch an 'unusually sized animal/insect' movie, why not go for the top shelf stuff? A perennial Halloween favorite around these parts (my Grandma watched this every year as a kid), THEM! moves at a good clip, and is still engaging almost 70 years later. Excellent practical effects, solid performances, and one of the most memorable child performances in a horror movie to this day (plus, the little girl gets the titular line, getting the titular line is important). I will never not like this movie.

Rating: 7.7/10 Discarded Carapaces

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

7. Destroyer (1988)
For this challenge I basically pulled up the Tubi app on my TV and scrolled until I saw a sick poster for a movie I hadn't seen before, and hell, check that poster out! It's awesome! The movie is not nearly as awesome, but it was okay. A serial killer's execution flops due to a power outage, and the prison is closed. 18 months later, Anthony Perkins is directing a yabbofest in the abandoned prison, until bodies start dropping. The killer is played by a former NFL player and his size helps a lot - he also uses a jackhammer at one point, and cuts off a woman's hair and eats it. It's not great, but there are some melting faces and it's fine Tubi slasher garbage - I just wish we didn't fast forward to "final girl" territory so early, there were a lot of people in that prison, they could have done more.

:skeltal: 2.5/5

This completes the :spooky: Back of the Video Store (Box Art Challenge) :spooky:

Total Watched: 7/31
Completed Challenges: CineD Horror Thread (Basket Case), FvJ Monster Mash (Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man), Samhain (Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers), Back of the Video Store (Destroyer)
Outstanding Challenges: Picnic in Space, Birth of Horror, Rob Zombie, That Guy, Exorcist Anniversary, Horror Adjacent, Animals Attack, Bite-Size Horror, Childhood Trauma, HIFE LGBTQ, HIFE POC, HIFE Women
New To You: 4/6 (Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, Terrified, Hour of the Wolf, Destroyer)
History Lesson: 5/5 (1980s, 1940s, 2010s, 1990s, 1960s)
Around the World: 2/4 (South America: Terrified, Europe: Hour of the Wolf)

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

3)A Nightmare on Elm Street 4-The Dreammaster HBO
:spooky:Challenges:spooky:
:spooky:FREDDY VS. JASON 20TH ANNIVERSERY CHALLENGE:spooky:
:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 2/6
:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky: 80s 2/5

Previously I've only seen the first three, as well as Freddy vs Jason. While I don't think it's as good, or entertaining as those entries, it's still a fun time. It doesn't make a ton of sense, especally Freddy's demise. It is pretty dope looking though. Englund is having a blast, and Alice is a fun final girl. Apparently the next two aren't great, but I should definitely make my way through the rest of the series at some point.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

1)My Little eye 2)Terrifier 2 3)A Nightmare on Elm Street 4:The Dream Master

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
5. Nightmare Sisters

If you haven't seen this then you need to hunt it the gently caress down. Its a hilarious no budget , one location, horror movie. Its done by David DaCoteau. It features a tremendous amount of just totally gratuitous nudity. There's a rather infamous bathtub scene between the 3 succubus that is just absolutely ridiculous. There's no gore to speak of but its pretty drat funny. Also its got a great sound track. And a laugh track along with applause. Just a fun time. Oh it starts Linnea Quigley.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

18) A Nightmare on Elm Street - 1984 - DVD

The film that made New Line Cinema. It so terrified my fiance when he was a teen that he refused to watch horror movies until he met me.

For the time, Freddy was a fresh take for a slasher with existing in the dreamscape and essentially unstoppable until Nancy figures things out. His victims were picked because of their parents' actions instead of the usual harassed someone who would become the killer, or trespassed where they shouldn't've been, or harmed/killed someone who had someone close to them become the killer. He was a little quippy, just enough to heighten the horror aspects. When I first saw the movie, I never would've expected it to spawn the franchise it did, or even the resulting Freddy-mania. Totally did dive in on the Freddy-mania. Had the Freddy doll with the pull string phrases, the official glove, the hat, and two of the board games along with other stuff. Now I'm down to a Freddy pen, a yo-yo, socks, and the Hawthorne Village Elm Street house. I do feel it was a good call to shift Freddy from a definite molester to it being vague as to was it just rumor to fire up the parents or actual since I don't think Freddy would've taken off as huge as he did if they made it a definitive.

It's a definite must watch for the slasher subgenre, though you can skip the 2010 remake. That one sucks so hard it blows.

19) Dawn of the Dead - 1978 - DVD

This was the first rated X film I saw. Even with Romero rejecting the rating classification and releasing it unrated, no theaters by me were showing it so, I watched it on bootleg.

Looking back, this was probably another of the 'I might've been too young to see this when I did' entries. It did however make getting dragged along shopping with my Mom to the North Riverside Mall more entertaining since I could look around the mall envisioning a zombie invasion, thinking what resources were there with the stores.

It's pretty much a classic of zombie cinema. Everyone knows the story, knows about the original plan to have Fran and Peter die, and so on. I used to wonder why the zombies were bluish, but it turns out like Captain Kirk's green/gold tunic, a combination of the lighting and film. Rewatching with attention to the lighting, the zombies are actually grey.

There are three versions of the film. The U.S. Theatrical, the International, and the Extended which combines the two. I've sat through all three and they're all fine choices for a viewing. I'm a little partial to the International because of the Goblin soundtrack, and the Extended because I want it all.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 9, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

1. Kill List [2011] FIRST WATCH - :spooky:CineD HORROR THREAD POLL CHALLENGE:spooky:

What a mean little movie. I'm surprised I put off watching this one for so long because its incredibly right up my alley and filled with the right amounts of ghastly imagery and tension that it really reverberates in the third act like a gunshot fired next to your head. Just a nasty surprise.

2. Elevator Game [2023] FIRST WATCH

The premise is there and the world building is there, but its missing any semblance of tension or horror. It's really really flat in both of those regards and the talent pool is pretty shallow. I was glad it was a short flick at least because this premise ran shorter than a 10 story building.

3. The Exorcist [1973] - REWATCH - :spooky:THE EXORCIST 50TH ANNIVERSERY CHALLENGE:spooky:

It still isnt scary to me in the way it seems to affect a lot of people, but the craft and care that went into this one is just spectacular and the visuals are just as insane as they've always been. Billy Friedkin no matter how you feel about him as a person still really helped facilitate a defining piece of spiritual horror/drama out of a story that could've been fairly straight forward and by the numbers. This feels ethereal and shocking even 50 years later.

4. Children of the Corn [2020] - FIRST WATCH

Jesus this one was grueling to get through. Just so needlessly obtuse and shoddily put together. Something very innate about children who've had enough and have access to a greater power to overturn the balance of power against adults and take over a small town or anything to that effect, but its so devoid of terror or suspense that it felt more like a goosebumps episode (one of the bad ones) than it did a proper movie. Just bad.

5.THEM! [1954] - FIRST WATCH - :spooky:WHEN ANIMALS OF UNUSUAL SIZE ATTACK!:spooky:

It's funny going back to these creature features of the 50's. They feel so quant, but the effects and puppets are so drat cool and the movie is by all definition very plodding and "connect the dots" in its story delivery that you could probably guess where this is all going by the end, but its such a fun adventurous romp and silly in the most delightful way that its greater than the sum of its parts. Just a real fun flick that probably works wonders with a crowd.

6.Terrifier [2016] - REWATCH

Good Ol' Art. Just doin what he does the best. I still don't like it as much as Terrifier 2 for all the reasons that many agree on, but I do find its repulsiveness enchanting for whatever its worth.

Bingo Card:

General/Meta Bonus Challenges Progress:

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky:
Kill List
THEM!
:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky:
:spooky:AROUND THE WORLD:spooky:
:spooky:HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE:spooky:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#14.) The Black Water Vampire (2014; DVD; dir. Evan Tramel)

Blair Witch Project, but with a vampire, and a man on death row for the vampire crimes.

From the director of Bible Town, A Frozen Christmas 2, Planes with Brains 3, and Fish Tales 4, this mockumentary features a film-making team heading into the woods after interviewing some locals about an infamous legend in the area. There's a Rustin Parr analog, except he's present in current time, and not yet executed. Someone makes the maps unavailable, the project's lead argues against going home before they're finished with the documentary, the crew member characters use the same first names as their actors, something harasses their tents at night, and they get lost. But there's snow, and four crew members instead of three, and a vampire instead of a witch, and an ending that I completely did not expect, so it has those things going for it, I guess. I couldn't take this seriously, because of all the homework-copying it did, but maybe on a rewatch, knowing what I was in for, I might like it more.

“I ain't no wacko!”

Rating: 4/10 :spooky:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I'm still digging around for mine, but here's a pic of what it looks like when I find it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

5. Evil Dead Trap (1988)
Absolutely sicknasty slasher that I really loved for the most part, even though it felt a little long in the tooth by the end. It starts off as a plot by a mysterious person looking to lure a late-night TV host to a warehouse by sending her a snuff film (a truly gross one; not much gets to me but eye trauma REALLY gets to me! I had to close my eyes!!) and turns into a really cool combination of Laid To Rest and Saw, but Japanese and from the 1980s. It then gets gruesomely gory, grimy, with a central mystery I was completely invested in and it has a great soundtrack. The moment I went from enjoying it to REALLY enjoying it was when the protagonist stumbled into a room and was just greeted by a wall of CRTs featuring a pleading message from one of the camera crew she brought with her. It was such a gorgeous, cool, unnerving scene, and it was such a great way to build on the weird camera angles and crazy camera effects that give the film such strong identity. It's the followed up by something utterly devilishly gleefully gross. It's not often that a hope spot pulls the wool over my eyes but this movie did it plenty.

It's a gruesome picture at points with some absolutely visceral deaths, and I really do think that as nasty as it gets it tends to have moments that drag as it reaches the climax, but then the climax is memorably nasty as well. Oh, and the villain looks great. I think I see a bunch of stuff in this movie that horror games would later get a lot of inspiration from.

I'm glad I watched this based on the poster alone. A really fun ride with really cool atmosphere, and enough depth of character to make this more than just nasty deaths and gore effects. Had a really fun time, but the parts that didn't totally work for me prevent me from giving it a 4 star rating. Still very much recommended.

3.5 Raincoat Killers Out Of 5

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

3) The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
:spooky:PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK…..IN SPACE!!!:spooky:

Somewhere in the human mind, my dear Francesca, lies the key to our existence. My ancestors tried to find it. And to open the door that separates us from our creator...can you look around this world and believe in the goodness of a god who rules it? Famine, pestilence, war, disease, and death! They rule this world.

New to me period piece! Holy gently caress, I loved this. Can't believe this hadn't jumped up to the top of my watch list during a previous challenge. Jaw dropping sets, costuming, and cinematography in this Corman-directed art horror, feat. Vincent Price in his most perfectly evil role, maybe only rivaled by Witchfinder General. Outside of the horrific cruelty the film lets Prince Prospero (and some of its heroes, come to think of it) get up to, the film is pleasantly blasphemous. Our villain gleefully and explicitly declares his allegiance to Satan early on, and the film kinda shrugs and admits that God is dead, but the true higher power isn't the devil and the very human, limited evil practiced within the castle walls, but Death itself.

Death here presented as something kaleidoscopic and mind opening, a deliverer and revelator. For all that people seem to read this film as something of a morality play where Prospero is targeted and punished for his sins, it's not like the rest of the country or even the world (based on that last scene) get spared here. A few people do survive, but it's not god who saved them. Are they the more virtuous? Merely ignorant of death? I'm not convinced, really. For a Death who would smuggle the red death into the village through an old woman whose greatest sin was wanting to be free of Prospero, maybe it's enough to be capricious or ineffable. Heaven and earth are heartless, they treat the ten thousand things like straw dogs. And so on and so forth.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I loving love Masque of the Red Death!! First time I watched it I saw a version that cut off with ten minutes to go and instead of being mad I had to wait to watch the rest when I got home I just rented it as soon as I got there and enjoyed it just as much. It's funny, considering Corman's reputation as a schlock filmmaker, that he made such a powerfully moody and evocative period piece with an all-time great Victor Price performance. Glad to see people watching it and enjoying it just as much as I did :3:

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

Black Sabbath/I tre volti della paura, 1963

Finally after all these years, I have watched the iconic Italian horror movie that one of the most important and greatest bands ever took their name from. Black Sabbath is an anthology film with three stories to tell. The first is the weakest. A woman gets threatening phone calls from someone that can see her every move and tells her that she'll get strangled by dawn. It got its little twists and turns on who is actually making these calls and a kind of predictable ending after said reveal. It is by no means a bad short horror story, just that it pales next to the other two. The second one is what got me excited. An old school horror story with horror legend Boris Karloff as a vampire. He is also the one doing the intro to the movie, telling the viewers that ghosts and vampires also go to the cinema and the audience should be aware that they will be among them in the movie theater. Boris Karloff as a vampire got to be his most iconic role since he played Frankenstein's monster in those old Universal Picture movies. He is so perfect in the role. We are talking real old school vampires out of the folk tales here. Filthy and haggard looking. He feels like a legit threat to everyone around him. This story just straight up excited me and I can't believe it took me this long to finally watch this iconic masterpiece. The last story is also a lot of fun. A nurse is called to prepare the dead body of an old rich lady that dedicated all her life and money to spirit seances. Her face frozen in a twisted grimace with her eyes wide open. The nurse steals a ring from her finger and things don't go well for her in the darkness of the night after she returns home. Just like the English name of the movie gave us the name of one iconic band, it is worth mentioning that the underground death/thrash metal Deceased used a still of the dead old lady as the cover art for their debut album. If the first story had been as great as the following two other ones, this would have been the perfect classic horror movie. I'm so glad to have finally watched it.

Hot Dog Day #89 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 2, 2023

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

Here we go again, ratings out of five. I've been playing the Texas Chain Saw Massacre video game so it's really put me in the mood to watch the series again. Other than that, though, no real theme for me this year but I'm going to try to find alternative/foreign posters for each movie because... I guess that's exciting.

Credit to this website for the excellent VHS scan.

1. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974, Tobe Hooper)

This was a bit of renaissance with this movie for me, with the movie approaching the age of fifty it's only natural to think a movie has aged a bit. And there are some awkward moments, but it's completely overshadowed by how excellently crafted it is. There are so many interesting and unorthodox camera angles, the movie is so chaotic at times paired with an equally chaotic, harrowing and foreboding soundtrack. The reveal of Leatherface in this movie to me is one of the best moments from all of cinema and from that moment it unleashes a breakneck segment that is still uneasy for some to watch. It's all put together so well and with such great care and consideration. The dinner scene is an slighty-abstract nightmare, with constant, sometimes-abrupt cuts again being complimented so well by the soundtrack. The awesome zoomed-in shots of Sally's eyeball has the green of her eyes pop, the same way the bright red of Leatherface's lair does, in contrast to the washed out and grainy look of the movie (I know this sounds very Film 101 but I love it). Without any doubt, I think that the reputation and legacy of this movie is very much earned. 5.0

One thing I really liked and noticed this time was how well the movie is paced. The buildup to the reveal of Leatherface is great, that unleashes a hellish portion of the film, and then you have the final girl already even with ~25 minutes left. It definitely makes Sally's survival portion of the movie so much more anxiety-inducing and uncertain given what she has seen.

Also what happened to the first truck who tried to help Sally? Unsung hero of the franchise.

2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003, Marcus Nispel)

Now, I've always "defended" the 2003 version as at the very least enjoyable. I stand by it being at least entertaining to an extent, but watching it back-to-back with the original movie it's tough to get really excited about it. All the chances that the original movie took creatively is stripped and the result is a very standard horror movie that feels like every other movie of this time. The characters are your stereotypical horror lineup and they don't feel real. The soundtrack here is your standard orchestral background noise and there just aren't any truly memorable moments unlike the first. I'd say the intro with the crime scene footage is pretty cool and R. Lee Ermey is an absolutely perfect, aggravating villain, but the substitution of buildup and careful presentation for jump-scares kind of sums it all up for me. 2.5

I haven't seen any of the sequels to the reboot-series since they were in theaters but am curious to see how much a stylistic-shift there was. Without looking up the critical and financial reception to this movie, it seems so flat and unremarkable I'll be disappointed if the sequels are just more of the same. Despite the quality of the original series sequels being pretty scattered, it seemed like there were different ideas and approaches each time and that was at least interesting. We'll see, though, up next I'm going to watch the second movie of both series.

Bingo Challenges:
[Goat's G.O.A.T.s (House)] The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
[History Lesson] 2/5 (1970, 2000)

Orchestrated Mess fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 2, 2023

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I didn’t think I would do this year but what the hell. Maybe I can make 13. Maybe

Personal Goal: rewatch a good chunk of the horror I own on physical media, a disturbing amount of which I’ve only watched once

I’ll try to hit some challenges solely with new-to-me films

1. Ghostbusters - (physical media rewatch) I didn’t grow up with this movie (just the insane merchandising it and its sequel spawned) so I don’t revere it quite like a lot of people do. Of course it’s good, though. I think this rewatch was somehow the first time I realized that the Gatekeeper and Keymaster totally got it on. I mean they don’t really hide it, but with it being PG they don’t call attention to it either.

2. The Silence of the Lambs - (physical media rewatch) Why would they slaughter lambs in the middle of the night anyway; seems like something that could wait until morning. Lecter turning into a comic book supervillain in the middle of the movie seems like it doesn’t quite fit the tone of the rest of the movie but it’s very entertaining so who cares.

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

Hopefully getting the bad ones out of the way first...

1. Beneath the Trees (2019)

BACK OF THE VIDEO STORE CHALLENGE

I found this one lurking deep in the Amazon Freevee list, with a staggering 5 reviews on Letterboxd. This movie is very low-budget and low on plot, and honestly would have been more effective as a short.

The setup is simple: an American student (Julia) in England goes on a camping trip with her English boyfriend and his female cousin. There's some talk of how the cousin's crops aren't doing well, but most of the dialogue is Julia complaining about being in nature and how she wants to leave.

This movie is aiming for folk horror, with its invocation of the Green Man and pagan rituals. It seems to be influenced by Blair Witch or maybe A Field in England, but I would much rather watch either one of those.

As a side note, Beneath the Trees has more reviews on IMDB, although most of them appear to be from friends of the director (or the director himself). The actual reviews rate it about how I did.

1.5/5

2. Leprechaun: Origins (2014)

META CHALLENGE 6 FILMS NEW TO YOU (1/6)

The first Leprechaun movie after 2003's Back 2 tha Hood, this one ignores everything that came before.

Before I watched this movie, the only things I knew is that it was produced by the WWE and the Leprechaun was played by the wrestler known as Hornswoggle. Based on those facts, and the Leprechaun movies that preceded this one, I was expecting a wacky, Hornswoggling good time. Instead, the director apparently hated the other Leprechaun movies and was interested in making something darker in tone.

The leprechaun in this movie seems to lack the capacity of speech, and is more of a creature that looks a lot like the monsters from The Descent. Therefore, the deaths it causes are a lot less whimsical and are just more brutal than anything.

I think I wouldn't be so harsh if it wasn't attached to the Leprechaun franchise, but it would have been better if that attachment didn't exist and the monster wasn't necessarily a leprechaun. The ending one-liner (taken directly from the first, and really the only attempt at humor) doesn't work for this reason, as the tone is that different.

2/5

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

#1: Body Melt

:spooky:HORROR ADJACENT:spooky: it definitely styles itself a horror comedy
:spooky:NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: I'd never seen it before
:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky: the 1990s
:spooky:AROUND THE WORLD:spooky: Australia

Gross-out body horror about a health supplement that makes people melt? Alright, I was on board, I was expecting something in the vein of The Stuff.

Body Melt certainly has The Stuff like elements, at times, but also has a long part that's like a low-budge Nothing But Trouble, and also more scenes where nothing very interesting happens. It drags in parts, and 80 minute movies have no excuse to ever drag. It does have some good goopy gore, but most of it concentrated at the end.

In the Horror thread Stryer told me it was originally supposed to be an anthology, and you can really feel that. The characters are paper thin and exist to die horribly, which is fine in an anthology but since they decided to blend it all together and lump most of the deaths at the end, you're left with dull characters puttering around for a while.

Can't recommend Body Melt, I'm afraid. I'm not one to be like, "oh this movie does it better therefore that other movie has no value" but really, just watch The Stuff. Switch over to Nothing But Trouble for 15 confusing minutes in the first act and then switch back to Body Melt, and you'll have a much better version of everything Body Melt did.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
yo what the gently caress why does the thread look so scary?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

yo what the gently caress why does the thread look so scary?

It appears we've been hoisted away into a seasonal new subforum... OF MADNESS!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Also I would like to welcome all the the goons who don't hang out with the Spookadoodle Crew into our beautiful (spooky) new thread, the horror goons are the best group of people on the forums (I am not biased) I am

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
#2: A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984) (rewatch)

It's wild that this movie was made just six years after Halloween, and feels so polished. Like the idea of a slasher is already so well-established, so here's a movie that's striving for the ideal slasher. The backstory - the thing with Freddy as a child-murderer, going after the children of his killers - seems kind of half-hearted. Why does Freddy have a knife-hand? Because he's a cool villain, and he's got to have a thing, so this is his thing. The main attractions are the dreams, which are great - gruesome, memorable, and the special effects hold up well.
4/5 :spooky:
This is my entry for Freddy vs Jason 20th Anniversary. It's also my second decade for History Lesson, after 1979's Alien.

#3: A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)

Freddy's back, and this time he's trying to convince a troubled young man, Jesse, to do his killing for him.
All in all, a real step down from the first. Aside from the opening sequence on the bus, the dream scenes are fewer and less ambitious than those of the first movie. Freddy seems less threatening, and really has to struggle to get anything done. And why's it called Freddy's Revenge? He's not getting revenge on anyone! Hell, the whole revenge-against-his-killers thing from the first movie seems to have been dropped. He's just killing people for kicks, which is a perfectly valid motivation, but don't promise if you're not gonna deliver.
Anyway, this movie was described to me as "the gay one", and unlike the movie's subtitle, that was pretty accurate. Jesse, new in town, makes friends with a guy in PE, Grady, after he rips of Jesse's pants during baseball and they wrestle. About 60% of their scenes take place in the locker room, and it's Grady he confides in when he gets freaked out over his urge to kill his potential girlfriend - by breaking into Grady's bedroom in the middle of the night. And that's not even getting into the whole gym teacher thing! Anyway, I don't know how to read all this other than to say the movie is casting Jesse's desires as wicked and predatory, which he successfully overcomes with the help of a good woman. It's all very unfortunate.
Still entertaining, at least. The movie peaks in that getting-ready-for-a-date scene, IMO.
2/5 :spooky:
This is my entry for Horror Is for Everyone, specifically the queer one. I'm definitely planning to watch that documentary Scream, Queen!, to round things out a bit. This was also a new-to-me watch, so that's one-sixth of that.

#4: Deadstream (2022)
A Youtuber, let's call him Pogan Laul, streams himself locked in a haunted house for a night to save his channel.
Fine but nothing special. The streamer, Shawn, is a good portrayal of someone I don't want to spend time with, superficial and exaggerated exactly the right way. The path to him getting the poo poo kicked out of him (spiritually) is not a surprising one, but it's a fun enough journey, with some decently creepy moments (and some goddamn gross ones). I was grateful to the filmmakers for not putting the Twitch-chat on the side of the screen permanently, that would have distracted the hell out of me.
3/5 :spooky:
This is my entry for the CineD Horror Thread Poll Challenge. It's also New to Me (2/6), and my first movie from the 2020s (History Lesson, 3/5).

#5: Lake Placid (1999)

There's a big croc in the lake and someone's gotta stop it!
Bit of a miss for me. I don't care about originality that much, and if you want to make a crocodile-based Jaws then go ahead, but this movie's just kind of unpleasant. The comedy all falls flat, and it's got that awful butterscotch colour grading you get in a certain strain of '90s flick, and the characters are all just sort of unpleasant. Particularly the eccentric croc-enthusiast millionaire, he's like if Matt Berry was unfun and unfunny. Anyway, the point of the affair is the crocodile, which is also a bit of a whiff. She only kills two people, both of whom are nameless characters the audience never gets to know. They die spectacularly, at least, but there's no sense of stakes, no sense that anyone with lines is seriously threatened. The special effects are decent, I guess - the animatronics look good, and the CGI is as good as you can expect for '99.
Also, I love Brendan Gleeson, but he cannot pull off a small-town American sheriff.
2/5 :spooky:
This is my entry for When Animals of Unusual Size Attack. It's also New to Me (3/6), and my first '90s movie (History Lesson, 4/5).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

7. The Invisible Man

quote:

If Kemp hadn't called the police like a loving rat, he'd be alive today. Those are just facts.

Reckoning with the effects work here, it's unparalleled. Whale makes you believe a man can turn invisible. Claude Rains is at his most unhinged ("Even the Moon is scared of me!") and feels more like a modern slasher than the morose, gothic tragedy other Universal Monsters evoke. Highest possible recommendation, this movie whips rear end and pulls the same trick as Nosferatu where everyone points and makes jokes at how cheesy things are for 20 minutes then poo poo gets real, real fast.

Can't believe I slept on this for this long.

1. [•Rec] 2. Attack the Block 3. The Wolf House 4. Bird with the Crystal Plumage 5. Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein 6. Perfect Blue 7. Juju Stories 8. The Invisible Man

Challenges: HIFE (LGBT)

Meta Progress: NTY: 6/6, HL: 5/5 ATW: 4/4, HIFE: 3/3

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 2, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

1: Nightmare Before Christmas

We're doing our decorations tonight so I threw this on in the background. I'm sure I don't need to say anything else about it, you've all seen it, it's influenced most of our aesthetic for the last 30 years. Not counting it towards any of the smaller challenges as that feels like cheating.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

2. The People Under the Stairs (1991)

Sic semper landlords!! (Surely there’s a Latin freak in this thread who can properly translate and pluralize that?)

This ruled. I am very under-watched and when a lady at a training told me I had to watch this I was like “oh, a Wes Craven I haven’t seen that’s socially conscious? I’m on board”. Then tonight when I started it, it opened with shots of the Rider-Waite deck—I’m immediately on board.

Fool is so cute and cool 🥺 Evil Big Ed and Evil Nadine got owned ftw

*~*~*~*~*~*~
IF YOU'RE READING THIS THE BXTCH FELL OF

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
3. Happy Death Day (2017) (first viewing)
(watched via Amazon rental)

Pretty simple elevator pitch for this one: "What if Groundhog Day was a slasher?" Our protagonist is the oddly-nicknamed "Tree" (Jessica Rothe), a sorority girl who finds herself living the same day over and over. Except this day invariably ends with her dying at the hands of a masked killer, and she has no idea who is doing this or why it's happening. This one is fun, but somewhat hampered by being saddled with a PG-13 rating and taking any meaningful gore out of the equation. A couple of the kills are clever or funny enough to compensate for the bloodlessness, but I still found myself missing the goop. After all, what you really want in a slasher is some good kills. Still, this is brisk and has a good sense of humor, and enjoyable enough to make me curious about the wonderfully named sequel Happy Death Day 2U.

CHALLENGE(S): Working on the CineD Horror Thread Poll Challenge (21st century so far edition) with this one. First 2010s feature for History Lesson. And it's New to Me.

---

4. Eraserhead (1977) (rewatch)
(watched on 35mm as a midnight movie)

I just had the pleasure of seeing one of my all-time favorite films as a midnight movie (for the third time and counting, in fact). David Lynch's surreal first feature film certainly has its abstract elements, but its a very simple narrative at the heart: Henry (Jack Nance) is not ready to settle down and be a father. I've revisited Eraserhead many times over the years, but this is my first time coming back to it after becoming a parent myself. Boy oh boy did that change my perspective. Like many burgeoning film fans, the first time I saw it I was engrossed by the strange visuals, oppressive atmosphere, and nightmare logic. And it was certainly the first film I can remember where I really understood the importance of sound design. Later, as I got my head around it, I was able to appreciate the film's humor a lot more and engage with Henry's character and the plot. But now that I've got a little one of my own, both the humanity and horror of the movie really popped for me. Forget the bizarre creature effects, the scariest part of this rewatch was the scenes when the baby would abruptly start crying the second mom or dad closed their eyes or tried to sneak out of the room. Having an infant is singularly stressful and scary even in the best circumstances, and Lynch runs wild with this very human experience here. He allegedly even used his own daughter's cries for parts of the sound design. So here's a movie where I can alternately close my eyes and drift to the rumbling soundscapes, laugh at the protagonist shrinking into his ill-fitting suit, and real at the climax of horrific infanticide. I keep coming back to this movie because it can does all of these things so well.

CHALLENGE(S): I'm counting this one for my Free Space. And it's my first '70s film to continue rounding out History Lesson.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

3. The Blob-1988: A+ (Scream Factory Blu-Ray) (rewatch)

We've all seen it, we all love it. If you don't, something is wrong with you.

4. Vacancy-2007: A- (Tubi) (rewatch)

I dig this movie quite a bit, seen it a bunch and I'm always down for Frank Whaley being a creepy dude. Pretty great cast considering the movie.

5. The Pope's Exorcist-2023: B (Netflix)

This one is a surprise, heard some good things about it but didn't expect it to be as good and pretty funny as well. Seeing Crowe on a little scooter though did remind me of the Eddie Izzard Everyone in Rome is just riding scooters and going Ciao! bit.

6. Cabin Fever-2002: A+ (Blu-Ray) (rewatch)

Basically what I said about The Blob except a lot less people love it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In for as many as I will be able to find time for (probably 13 hopefully 31)

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’m gonna shoot for 31 films. Specifically, I’m gonna try watching 31 different Tubi horror movies I’ve never seen. I’m 2 in and already having a lot of fun. If anyone has any favorites on Tubi or obscure stuff on there (eg History of the Occult, which is on my list), let me know.

Anyway, first couple reviews.

1) The Door (2014)
A young unemployed guy is offered a job to work security overnight in a single room watching a door to make sure it doesn’t open. Things go awry when his drunk friends show up unannounced and try to get in the door.

This movie is poorly acted, poorly written, poorly shot, and poorly edited. It’s like if someone did a student film inside one of the green warehouse hallways in a later SAW film. The premise lends itself to so many interesting possibilities, like the guy being besieged by beings trying to get in the door, or the inside of the door being a house of leaves shifting space. Both of those could be done on low budget with a little creativity. I wound up pausing the movie to go buy and cook some hot dogs.

I give this movie 5 “it makes me want a hot dog real bad”s out of 5

2) The Devil’s Stomping Ground (2021)
Two (student?) filmmakers film a behind the scenes documentary of a student film project by several other students. This is intercut with edited and lit scenes from the actual student film, which is about friends going to some haunted place in the woods.

This movie is great. Not on the level of Aunt Ethel, but just a delightfully stupid and overwrought film. The climax of the movie had me cackling as it continued to just go on, and on, and on. And finally, we get a very funny and genuinely clever punchline with a quick midcredits screen.

I give this movie 4.5 “Can you believe I found this at a thrift store for 5 bucks?” Out of 5. Also I strongly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

First time doing a challenge thread even though my wife and I do 31 horror movies every Oct.

1) Trick r' Treat

We watch this every year and tend to either open or close the month with it. This year my wife had a bunch of work friends over and none of them had seen it so we decided to open with it. It's considered a staple for a reason. In my mind I tend to file it away with the "schlocky fun" movies, but whenever I re-watch I'm reminded how solid a film it is. There's some really funny gags, it nails the Halloween spirit, and honestly there's some pretty solid cinematography for the style of film it is.

Individual Challenges:
Samhain Challenge

Meta Challenges
History Lesson - 00's