Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm just curious, for how long do you leave your dogs alone? I've gotten the feeling that leaving your dog at home for a whole 8-9 hour work day is quite common in the US.

I got three dogs, so they never really alone

But also my mother is retired and lives with me so she is around most of the day.

MAINLY my dogs sleep anyway, inside, outside, floor, dog bed, couch, regular bed, primarily potato anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm just curious, for how long do you leave your dogs alone? I've gotten the feeling that leaving your dog at home for a whole 8-9 hour work day is quite common in the US.

Both me and my partner work from home, so the only time the dogs are left alone is when we go out during the evening or on weekends. We try not to leave them longer than four hours, as that's when Boudicca starts getting a bit antsy.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie was officially diagnosed with separation anxiety so I don’t really leave her :(

On weekdays she does day-stays at a boarding/daycare place next door. She got kicked out of normal daycare so now she stays by herself.

We met with a behaviorist a few weeks ago. We’re trialing trazodone to help take the edge off when I leave. Hopefully she’ll be able to learn to be calm when I’m gone and we can stop the medication, but right now she needs something because she gets too anxious to form any positive associations. Lots of howling & pacing.

The max I’ve left her is like 70 minutes. There’s a grocery store super close so I can get that done in 30 minutes. Other than that I have to make arrangements to leave her with someone.

The goal is for her to be at home while I’m at work, but I would get a dog walker since I don’t like the idea of leaving her alone for 8 hours without a bathroom break.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Good to know. We tend to not leave Ella more than 6 hours (the recommendation in my country). I might get a camera and see if she looks too lonely or just sleeps when we are gone, but I don't think she's too lonely.

She does like to have everyone with her when going for walks. My wife takes her to work an hour before I have to go, and every time she grabs the harness Ella goes running up and often lies on top of my chest in bed. If I'm taking Ella somewhere she does the same to my wife.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

today is Bailey's second anniversary!

well, she has two anniversaries, one the foster to adopt day (day she was first in my home), the second the actual adoption day. so she gets two parties hah

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

today is Bailey's second anniversary!

well, she has two anniversaries, one the foster to adopt day (day she was first in my home), the second the actual adoption day. so she gets two parties hah

And two burgers?????

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

david_a posted:

And two burgers?????

No burgers because I'm a vegetarian so I don't ever make that stuff in my house

But she gets some of that dog ice cream and a very large treat "bone"

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

actionjackson posted:

No burgers because I'm a vegetarian so I don't ever make that stuff in my house

But she gets some of that dog ice cream and a very large treat "bone"

McDonald's exists, and has a drive through and your Good Dog certainly deserves a nice drive you know, the Burger can be directly transfered to Dog via the Mcdonald staff.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Teedo got his toe caught in the bed this morning and gave the greyhound scream of death until I was able to cut him out. After that he went to his chair and sulked for a bit. I let him lick my cereal bowl clean and that seemed to soothe his Big Feelings

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

AtomikKrab posted:

McDonald's exists, and has a drive through and your Good Dog certainly deserves a nice drive you know, the Burger can be directly transfered to Dog via the Mcdonald staff.

It doesn't have to be specifically a burger! Actually I remember the picture from that big treat bone, it was great :D

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

she's partied out, lol at the lip

she's got some gunk in her eye but i can't really get it out, so i'll just have to wait for it to go away on it's own

Only registered members can see post attachments!

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

bamhand posted:

Had our own scare with Doggles on Wednesday. He suddenly lost control of the back half of his body, including his bowels. He was flopping across the room trying to get up but his hind legs wouldn't work. Normally he screams bloody murder when the slightest thing is wrong but he wasn't vocalizing at all. We had to get him on a blanket to carry him into the car and then he was carted into the e-vet. Vet couldn't find anything wrong, he thinks maybe he has a spine or nerve issue but the x-rays all turned out fine. Two hours later he was completely back to normal. I was about to pick him up to set him into the car and he just immediately jumped right in, clearing about 2.5 feet between the ground and the car.

david_a posted:

That is really scary, my parent’s dog Lucy had similar symptoms in May. For the past few years she would occasionally have “bad days” where her back was hunched and she was in horrible pain, but she came out of it in a day or two and seemed back to normal. The latest time she… didn’t. No pain, but she had zero control of her rear half.

To properly diagnose spinal things like intervertebral disc disease or something similar you need an MRI; an x-ray won’t show anything. We decided not to get one because they quoted $4,000 and it wouldn’t really have changed anything - they said she seemed a poor candidate for spinal surgery, which would have been another $4,000 with a fairly low chance of success.

Lucy has been on a slow and steady rehabilitation path since then. The people who took her over have put in a lot of work with her though - acupuncture, rehab, etc. Everyone says her recovery is amazing and she can walk again on all fours (with considerable effort) and has regained control of her bowels, but she’s still a bit wobbly.

My dad's old grey Iceman (RIP) woke up one day and his back half didn't work, just like these stories.
It lasted about six months iirc and also resolved spontaneously, but not before he had lost almost all of the muscle mass in his hind legs. Greyhound hind legs look weird without all that muscle bulk on them.
My dad made a little photo picture book about the whole experience and keeps it at his office in the waiting room, even though Icey is long gone at this point. I think I may have posted in this thread after seeing him off.... these dogs are so special, thank you everyone for documenting your time with them here <3

E: oh my GOODNESS I forgot how much of both him and Cairo I shared here! I miss them.

number 1 snake fan fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 28, 2023

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Hi

Meet Lady

She is 3 years old and raced in Australia before coming to the US.

Mrs. Beekeeper found her listed on craigslist the day after Barley passed. We always report or pick up greyhounds from craigslist and bring them to the adoption group as we know it’s risky to have a dog listed there.

We reported her to the adoption group and within a couple hours their network had determined she came from another adoption group, and that group drove up and got her, threatening legal action.

They asked us if we wanted to adopt her but it was the day after Barley passed and we really weren’t ready.
She went to two potential homes and got returned both times, all within a month. After her second return the adoption group reached out to us again and offered for us to adopt her.

We drove 2 hours to a donor event for the adoption group at a golf course. We paid the adoption fee and the leader made an announcement that she had just been adopted and publicly thanked us. Everyone clapped and cheered, it was kind of surreal.

So far she’s settling in ok, but has separation anxiety and is a bit destructive. She’s destroyed a couple pairs of shoes, a textbook, a tshirt, etc. Nothing we can’t work on though.

But the best part is that Jody is super happy! Before she arrived Jody was depressed and just laid in bed all day. (I know that’s weird for a greyhound right?) but now they play together and she’s more active.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wooooo congratulations!!!!!!!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Hi Lady!

Any idea why she got returned twice? The separation anxiety?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yay another longdog! :toot:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Radiation Cow posted:

Hi Lady!

Any idea why she got returned twice? The separation anxiety?

Yep. They said the SA and “too much energy”. I work from home so separation will be minimal, and we’ve been walking her every morning and giving her lots of attention and play time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

just curious, which group got her from Australia? and did they get her from this group?

https://www.gapnsw.com.au/

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Congrats on another Australian longdog in the thread! :toot: (Interesting though, I didn't realise we sent hounds to the US. Was she from Queensland, perhaps?)

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Major Isoor posted:

Congrats on another Australian longdog in the thread! :toot: (Interesting though, I didn't realise we sent hounds to the US. Was she from Queensland, perhaps?)

Melbourne is what we’ve heard. We don’t know which group sent her over but we will find out. We will be in Queensland and Melbourne in February, will likely haul a dog or two back for the group.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
We were on a walk and Rollo stepped in a storm grate and nearly degloved his back right paw. Greyhounds: the world's strongest dogs.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

So after two weeks of rest, icing, anti-inflammatories, and laser treatment, Gello's limp has gotten worse. She's going it for X-rays on Monday on the physio's recommendation, and my brain has latched onto cancer and that's all I can think. This weekend is going to be hell.

At least we're cleared for short walks and don't have to ice, so Gello should be a much happier pup. I just want her to get back to sprinting up and down the beach in sheer loving joy, and I'm very concerned it won't ever happen again.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Very lovely!

…but a longdog with too much energy? I wonder what type of dog will ever be low energy enough for the previous owners?

Also fingers crossed it's nothing serious for Gello. :(

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Lots of dogs with issues right now it seems

Katie’s last corn treatment was a dud and one of them came right back. She limps on hard surfaces and it’s gotten bad enough that she will refuse activities where she knows she has to walk on something hard. I attempted to soak her foot in epsom salt and pick off the corn, but she is extremely uncooperative and it didn’t accomplish much.

Maybe her other two corns are gone (she had three this last time) but it’s hard to tell. There are marks on her pads but it may just be from the laser treatment since it was only about a month ago.

Awful seeing her in discomfort even if it’s a relatively minor thing :(

Best wishes for Rollo and Gello

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've mentioned before how we accidentally taught Teedo to bring us trash as a side effect of teaching him "leave it"

Still going strong, still engaging in commerce

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

A Fair trade for some burger I am sure

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007
lmao i havent looked at this thread since 2016

For those that remember him, Kenzie is still around and is an excellent old man in his dotage. I now have a second greyhound (Bella, age 3) and a non-greyhound (Opus, age 1) and the younger two have an extremely normal relationship.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Gello's just been diagnosed with osteosarcoma. It's terminal, so we're managing pain until it's her time to go.

I'm absolutely devastated. She's young, and she's my heart. I don't know how we're going to make the decision of when pain management isn't enough. Current plan is to arrange walks with all of her best friends as long as she's happy to walk.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

gently caress man

Gello is a wonderful girl. I’m so sorry :sympathy:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I’m so sorry. That’s awful. :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
gently caress cancer :(

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

gently caress this year. It's been awful in every single possible way.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m so sorry.

As someone who lost a parent to cancer this year, the initial diagnosis is one of the worst parts. So many what-ifs.

Do what you can for her and take it day by day.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Radiation Cow posted:

Gello's just been diagnosed with osteosarcoma. It's terminal, so we're managing pain until it's her time to go.

I'm absolutely devastated. She's young, and she's my heart. I don't know how we're going to make the decision of when pain management isn't enough. Current plan is to arrange walks with all of her best friends as long as she's happy to walk.

I'm so sorry!!!! how old is she?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Current Katie status: blasted out of her mind

She unfortunately also leaked in the car and it took her a good five minutes to remember how to relieve herself.

Katie had to get a corn treated on all four paws (sigh) although some of them were extremely superficial. Hopefully her feet won’t hurt as much recovering this time. It would also be real nice if they didn’t come back this time…

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Oh Radiation Cow, I'm so sorry. :( I'm sure Gello knows she is treasured, but spoil her all the same.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Thanks guys, I have no idea how we're going to get through the next couple of days and weeks. She's become very needy, and not taking to well to the prescribed painkillers. It's amazing how quickly she's gone from a mild, intermittent limp to full-blown sore-all-the-time cancer.

actionjackson posted:

I'm so sorry!!!! how old is she?

She's only eight, set to turn nine at the end of October. That's what makes this so devastating - she's not an old dog and other than the limp she's full of life.

david_a posted:

Current Katie status: blasted out of her mind

Poor Katie, hopefully this is the last time she needs her corns removed.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Radiation Cow posted:

Thanks guys, I have no idea how we're going to get through the next couple of days and weeks. She's become very needy, and not taking to well to the prescribed painkillers. It's amazing how quickly she's gone from a mild, intermittent limp to full-blown sore-all-the-time cancer.

She's only eight, set to turn nine at the end of October. That's what makes this so devastating - she's not an old dog and other than the limp she's full of life.

I'm so sorry. Tess was also only 8 when her valley fever reoccured. It's awful :sympathy:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Today is :burger: Rain's 6th Birthday! :burger:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Happy Birthday Rain! Good to see that everyone gets a burger.