Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Who hurt you?

Just let people enjoy things, you loving weirdo.

I would like to let myself enjoy the works of Wes Anderson and he keeps trying to prevent me from doing that

And I say that as someone who would have considered him one of of our greatest living directors until recently so you can imagine how bad I feel about all of this lol

Steve Yun posted:

Sorry about your cartoons and superhero shows, kid

How about an uncensored full frontal nude dating show

My sister-in-law who lives in Britain clued me into this a few years ago and I think it unlocked some sort of revulsion in my mind for the entire country, like there was a latent evil to the British that would ever allow this show to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Wolfsheim posted:

My sister-in-law who lives in Britain clued me into this a few years ago and I think it unlocked some sort of revulsion in my mind for the entire country, like there was a latent evil to the British that would ever allow this show to happen

:confused:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Reservation Dogs is the best show of the 2020's so far, of course it's over. They definitely stuck the landing.

It really was excellent. Great final season, and a beautiful finale. I'm going to miss it.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Flora and Son (Apple TV+)

I like a couple of Carney's movies a whoooooole lot (Sing Street, Once) and his American one (Begin Again) much less so, feeling like adding anything American into his inherently earnest and sentimental movies kinda taints the brew. And in this case Joseph Gordon Levitt is part of the taint, and the other being that Eve Hewson (Bono's daughter) kinda de facto makes me feel a little disconnected/feels less authentic than his stuff tends to be, even if she's fine.

So... it's fine. It's 95% on Rotten Tomatoes because it's easy and breezy, but it's nowhere near as good as his best 2 films.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

I would like to let myself enjoy the works of Wes Anderson and he keeps trying to prevent me from doing that

And I say that as someone who would have considered him one of of our greatest living directors until recently so you can imagine how bad I feel about all of this lol

The couple times I've seen it both felt very alien and wrong, but also there was a few sweet moments...
...which made it feel even more alien and wrong.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought Asteroid City was fine enough, maybe just cuz I hated French Dispatch as it felt like Wes in peak self parody mode
but the corniest whitest worst movie he'll have ever made is always gonna be Darjeeling Unlimited imho
I really like Grand Budapest though.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
The funny thing about Naked Attraction is how boring it is once you get past the initial frisson of having the camera zoom in on a person's penis or vagina on TV while the host and prospective date comment on it.

The last part of each episode is always especially groanworthy because the prospective date usually makes a big deal of agonizing over their choice and talking about how much they like person X's tattoos or the body positivity of person Y and then 100% of the time they select person Z, the most conventionally attractive person there. And then the dates always go nowhere and there's rarely any evidence they actually have sex.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I liked The French Dispatch, guess I'm the odd one out.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I hated it and I liked it, because there was just so much overwhelming style it was hard to deny and a charming enough cast...but like, most of the plot, characters, dialogue, themes, whatever, just felt insufferable to me

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Woops accidental post but I'll take this time to say: every movie is on loving tubi

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Please tell me this includes Dogora

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I cannot remember a single thing about The French Dispatch.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

RCarr posted:

I cannot remember a single thing about The French Dispatch.
There's a lovely extended 60s Parisian student movements type riff with Monseur Timothee Chalamet.
Also: Adrien Brody plays a character who does and says things...I believe.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Reservation Dogs is the best show of the 2020's so far, of course it's over. They definitely stuck the landing.

This is a little strong......

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MeinPanzer posted:

The funny thing about Naked Attraction is how boring it is once you get past the initial frisson of having the camera zoom in on a person's penis or vagina on TV while the host and prospective date comment on it.

The last part of each episode is always especially groanworthy because the prospective date usually makes a big deal of agonizing over their choice and talking about how much they like person X's tattoos or the body positivity of person Y and then 100% of the time they select person Z, the most conventionally attractive person there. And then the dates always go nowhere and there's rarely any evidence they actually have sex.

This poo poo sounds like the least sexy thing you could possibly watch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Woops accidental post but I'll take this time to say: every movie is on loving tubi

It really is where 90% of the things I want to watch pop up.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

mcmagic posted:

This poo poo sounds like the least sexy thing you could possibly watch.

It is. If it was in any way sexy it wouldn't be on british television

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Famethrowa posted:

yes an experimental piece about struggling to express yourself despite being a creator of emotional visuals is exactly the same as a studio yard sale lmao

I wouldn't necessarily call it "experimental," and I think he's struggling more with the guilt of what his self-expression has wrought, but...

Oh, you were talking about Asteroid City. Carry on.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mcmagic posted:

This is a little strong......

No one who saw the movie would say that!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Modern Leper posted:

I wouldn't necessarily call it "experimental," and I think he's struggling more with the guilt of what his self-expression has wrought, but...

Oh, you were talking about Asteroid City. Carry on.

lol

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

mate...

MeinPanzer posted:

Defestishising nakedness, I believe, is the point of the show. Shining a light on the shallowness of judging appearances.

This may shock you, but we are all naked underneath those layers we pile on top of ourselves. Stylish and sophisticated layers, sometimes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Collateral posted:

Defestishising nakedness, I believe, is the point of the show.

Somehow, I'm not certain.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Watched the first three episodes of Gen V and it's good!

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Saying Asteroid City is his best movie is like saying Ready Player One is Spielberg at the top of his game

A coworker of mine literally believes this, ready player one is his favorite movie. Fuckin weird man but hey like what you like

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Collateral posted:

mate...

Defestishising nakedness, I believe, is the point of the show. Shining a light on the shallowness of judging appearances.

This may shock you, but we are all naked underneath those layers we pile on top of ourselves. Stylish and sophisticated layers, sometimes.

I’m sure the people who make the show would love your optimism.

As far as I could it was mostly an excuse to zoom in on genitals

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Look if were going to embrace reality dating trash can we at least bring back MTV's Next and Room Raiders because those were my favorites

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t know if it was this thread that recently mentioned them but I watched A Night to Remember (Criterion Channel) and Titanic (various).

I think I’ve seen both films only once before; Night about 30+ years ago on TV and Titanic on VHS.

If you want a movie about the sinking of the Titanic, watch Night. It’s a great movie and does a good job incorporating a lot of historical events. The ship hits the iceberg about 30 mins into a 2 hour movie so it really moves along. The closest thing to a main character is Second Officer Lightoller, but everything is depicted in a somewhat detached documentary style with a lot of different characters. The drunk baker was my favorite.

Titanic (1997) was somehow way worse than I remembered. An entire movie takes place before the ship even hits the ‘berg. This is just an absurd melodrama that happens to use a notable tragedy as a backdrop. It honestly almost feels a bit disrespectful - there was enough real world drama in the sinking without making up a bunch of bullshit with cartoonishly evil villains. The closest thing to villains in Night is the real-life crew of the Californian whose absurd negligence influenced changes to international maritime safety regulations. Titanic, meanwhile, has Billy Zane and David Warner ingesting toxic levels of scenery. A ton of stuff is also shamelessly “borrowed” from Night. Even in the bloated runtime (the Bill Paxton stuff sucks, I’m sorry) it leaves out a ton of real world context that Night managed to include.

It’s interesting how some of the effects have aged too. In 2023, some of the 1997 CG looks just as artificial as 1958 model work. The practical sets in Titanic are naturally far more elaborate and still hold up fairly well, although I don’t think Night was a slouch in that department considering when it was made.

Anytime the movies attempted to portray the same thing I ended up thinking I preferred how Night did it, but honestly the movies are in completely different genres.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Yeah, this is accurate. Second best show was Beef.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I thought Asteroid City was fine enough, maybe just cuz I hated French Dispatch as it felt like Wes in peak self parody mode
but the corniest whitest worst movie he'll have ever made is always gonna be Darjeeling Unlimited imho
I really like Grand Budapest though.

I just watched French Dispatch recently and really liked it? Maybe due to the lowered expectations, maybe due to its short story format which meant that if some stories were flat and uninteresting (the Timothy Chalamet one) other ones I found wildly entertaining and heartfelt esp for a Wes Anderson pic (the Jeffrey Wright food detective one).

It also matches well with Grand Budapest. Anderson is getting more sentimental as he gets older, and hell I'm here for it.

Island of Dogs was still an amazing whiff tho

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just finished the last season of How to with John Wilson. I was aware this was the last season but didn't realize there were only 6 episodes.

A lot of great stuff as usual, though the season was a bit disjointed (while in earlier seasons the meandering narratives were always kind of logical, there seem to have been more non sequitur transitions this time around) and the second from last episode was a rare miss IMO. It was obvious that the plot about the Titanic conspiracy was manufactured from early on in the episode, and I kept expecting crazy The Rehearsal-esque twists to really sell the concept, but it just kind of ended. Maybe it's just that Nathan Fielder does that stuff so much better that Wilson's attempt seemed milquetoast by comparison.

I did really appreciate the poignant, reflective touches he began inserting throughout the season, and the last episode was great. The cryogenicists were perfect comedy fodder--some of the weirdest, most uncanny people he's ever featured on the show--but that guy at the end talking about his own experience with self-castration was genuinely harrowing and thought provoking.

Really wish we could have gotten at least one more season, but a great run all in all. Very curious what he's going to do next.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I’m sure the people who make the show would love your optimism.

As far as I could it was mostly an excuse to zoom in on genitals

There is an element of voyeurism, as well as exhibitionism. These people are picking dates based on a prospect's body look, but in the end, if they don't get along with them, it's irrelevant what they look like.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Collateral posted:

There is an element of voyeurism, as well as exhibitionism. These people are picking dates based on a prospect's body look, but in the end, if they don't get along with them, it's irrelevant what they look like.

I've passively watched a decent amount of episodes over the years because my wife likes to throw it on now and then as trashy TV and the only interesting part of it is when they follow up with the couple at the very end of each episode and every once in a while they're openly hostile to each other. Like they bring them back to sit beside each other a month later to talk about how their single date went and in some cases they start bickering.

I would love to see follow up episodes featuring participants talking about how appearing on the show affected their lives. A lot of them have really mundane jobs, so I can't imagine what it would be like showing up to your office job the Monday after everyone watched the host and date scrutinize your pubes and comment on how droopy your labia/ballsack is.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 30, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Collateral posted:

Says you, I have my jean shorts that I sewed into my skin so I'm eternally never nude

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Scrolling on tubi finding random rear end movies is always fun and uhh...wow :911:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

That is a bunch of fetishes in one poster

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Giant man crushed by even gianter woman is a pretty specific one though

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Martman posted:

Giant man crushed by even gianter woman is a pretty specific one though

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
My mom forced me to watch the golden bachelor and I'm about to pour acid on my genitals and sand them off.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

My mom forced me to watch the golden bachelor and I'm about to pour acid on my genitals and sand them off.

You watch with your eyes stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Upsidads posted:

You watch with your eyes stupid

You clearly haven’t met his mom