Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

kirbysuperstar posted:

That thing will be a super grenade

It's a pretty chunky design, and HG engineering at that size I'd expect it to be super stable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I was thinking of the lasers mostly, they'll probably stay in as long as it stays upright I guess?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1707565945072545899/photo/3

Look everyone; You can use 30MM parts on our new Kyokai Senki kit! You like those parts, right?

...Guys?

...Hello?... :ohdear:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1707565945072545899/photo/3

Look everyone; You can use 30MM parts on our new Kyokai Senki kit! You like those parts, right?

...Guys?

...Hello?... :ohdear:

Says the 30MM addict.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Brady hound is a cool design imo

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Valimar shipped. Looks like I should get it tomorrow.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I would need a tutorial on how to do that, as it's not something I've done before.

Bookmarks this for later :gonk:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 29, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmachine posted:

Says the 30MM addict.

Hey that's not... completely accurate... :negative:

Also it more a diss that they didn't even decorate it with the accessory packs from their own line. Just something I've noticed is there doesn't seem to be any real forward-planning with the Kyoukai Senki line since they dipped into the customizable OC/Side-story mechs (I have no idea if they're from a manga or whatever), there's just been a cycle of _A_ Kit, followed by an accessory pack tailored mostly specifically for that kit and repeat the last few releases. 30MM seems to have largely stopped that, with the tailored armor sets disappearing in favour of general accessory packs.

El Burbo posted:

Brady hound is a cool design imo

It's not a bad design in its own right (I actually like the whole Stork plane deployment gimmick), it's just very oversaturated in a property that had no less than three factions to make cool mechs for, presumably initially written as such so they could make as many cool mechs as possible to sell as kits.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Valimar shipped. Looks like I should get it tomorrow.

Bookmarks this for later :gonk:

Yeah... yeah... :sigh:. I still need to look at trying to fix mine. Still really sucks after putting in all the effort to paint it too.

Oh, and standing reminder; You will need gold paint and a steady hand to get it looking good, it comes in a flat grey.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
To celebrate a pretty decent paycheck that came in, I ordered that loving dunbine. With how people I know have complained about pbandai I was expecting the prices and shipping to be insane but like. Man. It's cheaper than most sites.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The main problem with p-bandai is availability (either over time or in countries that aren't in Asia, the US, or France).

Unfortunate the Witch weapon options are p-bandai, but since people didn't buy the Demi Trainer's weapon pack I suppose bandai said nah.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

speaking of bandai, got the new tallgeese and the hi-zak (or the "goodness that one's so patriotic" zaku as my parents call it)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

come november's when I'm gonna have to start devoting closet space to everything, I've made it fam

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

El Burbo posted:

Narrative gundam ver ka: i sleep

HG destroy gundam: real poo poo?

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1707546067246686259
Bandai doing their best to get me to finally buy a gundam kit......and it's working :rms:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah... yeah... :sigh:. I still need to look at trying to fix mine. Still really sucks after putting in all the effort to paint it too.

Oh, and standing reminder; You will need gold paint and a steady hand to get it looking good, it comes in a flat grey.

I have tons of paint, I paint minis. I don't have an airbrush tho

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Nuebot posted:

To celebrate a pretty decent paycheck that came in, I ordered that loving dunbine. With how people I know have complained about pbandai I was expecting the prices and shipping to be insane but like. Man. It's cheaper than most sites.

I bought three, ‘cause god only knows if it’s ever going to be available again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ugh whys painting up stuff gotta make building a kit take way way longer i want my instant gratification noooooow

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bimmi posted:

I bought three, ‘cause god only knows if it’s ever going to be available again.

I would have if I could afford it, I like the dunbine designs a lot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wondering if I should plonk down for a sheet of waterslides for the Gaogaigar, having never slided water before, just deal with the regular decals, or just not bother and decide later

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Wondering if I should plonk down for a sheet of waterslides for the Gaogaigar, having never slided water before, just deal with the regular decals, or just not bother and decide later

Water slides are always better.
You'll have a little bit higher than normal challenge with Gaogaigar, since you have to apply decals to the rounded wrists.
Also, absolutely get some mark setter. You want those decals on there real good before you start fumbling around with the transformation.
If you're at the point where you're seriously thinking about investing a little bit more into a kit to make it look better, now's a good a time as any to start.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'll probably check a couple stores tomorrow to see if I can get some mark setter or likewise without having to order, then get a sheet

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nuebot posted:

P-Bandai's problem is limited runs and exclusivity, which is responsible for the high prices of limited release kits once they hit the 3rd party dealers. P-Bandai kits will regularly go anywhere between 3x and 5x list price once pre-orders close, because there is no wholesale source for them and whether they get a rerun on P-Bandai is a crapshoot.

The problem is basically the business model. Especially when you like less popular models, you end up at the beck and call of the P-Bandai release cycle, or paying $60-$80 for a High Grade from a scalper.

edit: And never mind the other end of the spectrum. The popular kits like Unicorn variants or the Neo Zeong II sell out their preorders in under 30 seconds like they're loving sneakers.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
They reran the recent Rose HG like 3 times so hopefully they'll rerun the Maxter HG a few times too because I missed that poo poo weeks ago

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Warmachine posted:

P-Bandai's problem is limited runs and exclusivity,*snip*
The problem is basically the business model. Especially when you like less popular models, you end up at the beck and call of the P-Bandai release cycle, or paying $60-$80 for a High Grade from a scalper.

So.. this bugs me. When people paint Bandai as the bad guy, or as if they're trying to bilk extra dollars from their userbase.

Bandai isn't "holding back" production. They are running their machines as hard as they can, as much as they can. The fact we get special editions at all, is really neat. They could, out the trap, easily charge double what they charge on the p-bandai site, and get it. But.. they don't. They make attempts to make sure kits get to ~us~ instead of scalpers. If this was "just the business model" there would be one p-bandai global site, no limits on orders, and prices would be three or four times what they are.

They're not f'ing with us. We're just a huge demand. And... shockingly, they're responding to higher demand with ramping up production instead of increasing prices until the market won't bear it anymore.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nerobro posted:

So.. this bugs me. When people paint Bandai as the bad guy, or as if they're trying to bilk extra dollars from their userbase.

Bandai isn't "holding back" production. They are running their machines as hard as they can, as much as they can. The fact we get special editions at all, is really neat. They could, out the trap, easily charge double what they charge on the p-bandai site, and get it. But.. they don't. They make attempts to make sure kits get to ~us~ instead of scalpers. If this was "just the business model" there would be one p-bandai global site, no limits on orders, and prices would be three or four times what they are.

They're not f'ing with us. We're just a huge demand. And... shockingly, they're responding to higher demand with ramping up production instead of increasing prices until the market won't bear it anymore.

They could just not make them limited supply I guess? People might appreciate that.

Warmachine posted:

P-Bandai's problem is limited runs and exclusivity, which is responsible for the high prices of limited release kits once they hit the 3rd party dealers. P-Bandai kits will regularly go anywhere between 3x and 5x list price once pre-orders close, because there is no wholesale source for them and whether they get a rerun on P-Bandai is a crapshoot.

edit: And never mind the other end of the spectrum. The popular kits like Unicorn variants or the Neo Zeong II sell out their preorders in under 30 seconds like they're loving sneakers.

I'm glad I don't usually care about popular kits I suppose. All of my favorite stuff tends to be weird losers no one else likes, like the Physalis.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Nuebot posted:

They could just not make them limited supply I guess? People might appreciate that.
I think the big point is being missed here. ALL gunpla is limited supply. And it's limited by production rate. They need to make what sells first, then they can find time to make the weird poo poo we like.

It's ALL limited supply. And limited by production speed, not by company choice.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The idea of p-bandai is that they can manufacture and sell small runs of things that they know (or feel) wouldn't be popular enough on store shelves to be worth mass-producing for retail. Most of these kits if they weren't on p-bandai wouldn't be made for retail at all.

That whole setup makes sense when it's just like plastic recolors or small variations of existing kits, or niche weapon/parts sets. But yeah it kinda stings when they have whole-rear end unique MS in there.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nerobro posted:

What... in the gently caress?

Exclusives and limited run items have always been a thing. They are not unique to Bandai. But Bandai does inherit the same problems everyone else has with them. Namely limited runs create a secondary scalping market because once the initial run is finished, there is no guarantee that this product will be run again and thus the supply is fixed. I don't know how this point got missed in my post but... there it is in bold for you.

And no, I don't have a solution for this. There might not BE a solution other than to somehow run continually batching orders that are fulfilled once the demand threshold justifies running the tooling for a cycle but... that doesn't mean it isn't an issue either. If it wasn't a problem, there wouldn't as you point out be a limit on order quantities--which a sufficiently motivated reseller will circumvent. See also every other example of limited run products ever.

And please don't forget that Bandai is a corporation and is not your friend. They only reason they don't charge double is because their business analysis says charging double will produce less profit. Not out of any altruism to the consumer.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Warmachine posted:

I don't know how this point got missed in my post but... there it is in bold for you.

And no, I don't have a solution for this. There might not BE a solution other than to somehow run continually batching orders that are fulfilled once the demand threshold justifies running the tooling for a cycle but... that doesn't mean it isn't an issue either.

There isn't a solution, other than increasing supply. Which they ARE working on. But until they match demand, everything bandai is limited edition. Just to different degrees.

I didn't miss your point at all. But the demonization of bandai for somehow not miraculously having production to make all the things all the time is just dumb.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Made the HG Phenex, kind of meh on it. It's got a bazillion polycaps, the fit on some of the wing pieces was absolutely awful, and it feels a tiny bit floppy in places. That said the injection gold is much better looking than on newer kits for some reason?

Mostly I built it to make memes about Eri and Rita dating, but it seems physically impossible to pose them kissing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

When a kit is popular, they tend to do reruns. Some kits, like the MG Barbatos expansion, had multiple runs right out of the gate, although they were set to release months apart.

One problem Bandai's had lately has been, to use the vernacular, suffering from success. They've had higher demand than ever, and just keeping up with major releases has been difficult. (Aerial had the largest opening print run for any TV lead Gundam HG, and it was still impossible to find one at retail for months.) There have been new factories, and those help, but setting up production for whatever new designs Bandai releases and maintaining production for old kits is difficult. (I've heard that the Target MG Barbatos production run was large enough to slow down new designs, but I can't confirm that.)

P-Bandai is helpful for Bandai because it means they don't need to convince stores to carry a product, they don't need to split profits, and if it turns out to be unpopular, they can get away with a much smaller run. It's still weird for the full new molds of somewhat-popular MS like Rose and Maxter, but for variants it's quite useful for testing the waters. (I wouldn't be surprised if good sales for Sleggar's GM helped guarantee the wide release for the base Origin GM).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Warmachine posted:

What... in the gently caress?

Exclusives and limited run items have always been a thing. They are not unique to Bandai. But Bandai does inherit the same problems everyone else has with them. Namely limited runs create a secondary scalping market because once the initial run is finished, there is no guarantee that this product will be run again and thus the supply is fixed. I don't know how this point got missed in my post but... there it is in bold for you.

And no, I don't have a solution for this. There might not BE a solution other than to somehow run continually batching orders that are fulfilled once the demand threshold justifies running the tooling for a cycle but... that doesn't mean it isn't an issue either. If it wasn't a problem, there wouldn't as you point out be a limit on order quantities--which a sufficiently motivated reseller will circumvent. See also every other example of limited run products ever.

And please don't forget that Bandai is a corporation and is not your friend. They only reason they don't charge double is because their business analysis says charging double will produce less profit. Not out of any altruism to the consumer.

There isn't really a solution to the scalper problem since there isn't really a way to differentiate between a scalper and a "legitimate customer" and if there was, there's no real reason for a corporation to care. It's big problem with basically everything, from wizards of the coast with magic cards, to Games Workshop and their big expensive warhammer models, to loving nintendo and that limited edition majora's mask 3DS I'm still mad about. The only possible solution I can think of, being an idiot, would be to have a sort of more expensive custom order sort of system where customers can pay a small up charge to get old out of print merchandise, ensuring a customer will always have access to the thing they want rather than having to go to a third party. However such a system wouldn't likely be profitable for the corporation and scalpers would likely just price their goods below whatever the upcharge is, while still making a smaller profit themselves. So there's like, no serious solution to be found short of just I don't know, scalping the scalpers I guess?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Like I would be entirely down with paying a little extra to bandai for them to print me off a random p-bandai thing that would otherwise never be reprinted like the EWAC Jegan or something, but I'm not sure how well that would work out economically.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
swapping the molds around in the machines probably gives it a pretty high startup cost where it's not worth it until they sell a few hundred

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

There isn't really a solution to the scalper problem since there isn't really a way to differentiate between a scalper and a "legitimate customer" and if there was, there's no real reason for a corporation to care. It's big problem with basically everything, from wizards of the coast with magic cards, to Games Workshop and their big expensive warhammer models, to loving nintendo and that limited edition majora's mask 3DS I'm still mad about. The only possible solution I can think of, being an idiot, would be to have a sort of more expensive custom order sort of system where customers can pay a small up charge to get old out of print merchandise, ensuring a customer will always have access to the thing they want rather than having to go to a third party. However such a system wouldn't likely be profitable for the corporation and scalpers would likely just price their goods below whatever the upcharge is, while still making a smaller profit themselves. So there's like, no serious solution to be found short of just I don't know, scalping the scalpers I guess?

Scalpers tend to make larger purchases, in the absence of other factors. A regular customer might want 40 Leos or something, but usually regular customers want 1 of an item, and Scalpers want as many as they can get. It's why so many stores online have item limits per customer.

And companies do care. People being able to get the product for retail means they're more likely to buy more product, while scalpers mean that a lot of money goes to third parties that won't come back to them. Sure, the Wii sells either way, but the 300 bucks extra the customer spent on it is 300 bucks that won't go to buying the new Mario.

Bandai's been trying a wide variety of methods to counter scalping for their standard releases, and apparently it's had some success, but P-Bandai is trickier.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

P-Bandai 30mm is dumb.

Worse still are just how many parts can only be found in one combination base mecha + option kit. You can't buy the extra stuff separately, even if some of it appears in other kits. For example, Alto Flight Type shares from parts with the Exa Vehicle Air Fighter, but the unique parts in the Flight Type can't be found anywhere else. You can't combine a normal Alto and the Air Fighter to get the Flight Type. Similarly, Portanova Marine Type and the EV Attack Sub. You still can't find the Alto Flight Type's railguns anywhere else. They're unique in just swapping out the pistol grip to be backpack mounted. There's also the Alto Ground Type's bazooka.

Bandai is not my friend.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The solution is to only buy the eggs

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
someone i follow on tumblr started getting into this recently and that piqued my curiosity enough to order a couple kits myself and oh no, now im completely hooked. this rules, actually. its scratching the itch ive had since bionicle stopped being made!!

ive never watched gundam 00 but i thought exio looked neat!! (i hosed up and missed that i was supposed to put stickers UNDER the clear parts, whoops.)

ive got HG aerial coming on tuesday and its really hard to not buy basically every other GWitch mech too. both because of the price but also because i need to find somewhere to put them.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

swapping the molds around in the machines probably gives it a pretty high startup cost where it's not worth it until they sell a few hundred

It's a couple hour job to swap tooling in an injection molding machine.

... when you don't care. Bandai cares. There's also a warmup and tuning process. And Bandai has individual plastic formulations for each set of dies. (as is evident as ~poo poo plastic~ shows up even in repops)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW1EaiPpbWU&t=583s The whole video is interesting. But this is AirFix. And their system is A LOT less picky than bandai. They don't mold in color, they have some tolerance for flash. And they have tolerance for misaligned molds.

Bandai quality injection molding.. is maybe found in four manufacturers. Tamiya? Apple? and i'm leaving room for someone else. And nobody else is doing comolding like Bandai does.

Blaziken386 posted:

ive never watched gundam 00 but i thought exio looked neat!! (i hosed up and missed that i was supposed to put stickers UNDER the clear parts, whoops.)

ive got HG aerial coming on tuesday and its really hard to not buy basically every other GWitch mech too. both because of the price but also because i need to find somewhere to put them.
I got started with Exia too. Welcome to the fold.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blaziken386 posted:

someone i follow on tumblr started getting into this recently and that piqued my curiosity enough to order a couple kits myself and oh no, now im completely hooked. this rules, actually. its scratching the itch ive had since bionicle stopped being made!!

When you're feeling confident with HG's, take a look at the Real Grade Exia. It's fantastic kit.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The Bandai Hobby Center expansion isn’t online yet. When finished, it may be bigger than the existing facility, so we may well see signifcant changes in release patterns and maybe even new product. I’m pretty excited for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

A few months ago we were talking about the various pinchy bois of zeon and the HG z'gok-e came up due to its "unique" design choices. I built one recently so let's examine it!

Here we have our boi with his sticker sheet. I actually like the emblems but the shiny red metal stickers are kinda weird imo and I think the orange color works better as a contrast. Overall the base colors are quite nice though. Muted yes but they make a pleasant package.

A shot of the backside with the propulsion pack. You can remove it and the back of the suit has detailing so it won't look weird without it. I do happen to like the design of the pack. It does look like a little submarine that could scoot away on its own.

Articulation and posing aren't bad but also have their issues. Your kit will probably not be able to hold this pose if it's just a straight build. One of the arms was droopy so I made the ball joint thicker and did the same for the legs and the other arm as future-proofing. Would recommend that since droopy joints seem to be a common issue with this kit. There is a nice bend on the knee and foot, some bend in the waist and the claws can move individually. Though they can also have some drooping issues due to the construction but I will highlight that later. The big issue are the elbows though. The movement is rather limited and the construction will annoy you as I will explain soon. Probably the worst elbows I've seen so far while building gunpla.

The feet have this cute little feature where they can be folded back a bit to simulate cruising mode under water. This kit does not come with holes or pegs for a stand though so you have to figure that out on your own.

Let's get to all the bad things about this kit :ohdear:

We'll start small by talking about the mono-eye. It's a clear part set in a fixed location which makes it look a little goofy imo. I can appreciate bandai trying an alternative to the usual sticker but the forced position just isn't good imo.

In general I think this kit looks closer to a derpy evil grunt made by disney than to the predatory look introduced by the z'gok or hy-gogg. It just doesn't look threatening enough imo.

Onwards to the big thing about this kit: the limbs and the gosh darn crab shell casings.

For some reason bandai decided to build the arms like this. A joint on each end with a stick that you need to push together in between. The three shell casings need to be placed before you push the sticks together and they have nothing to hold them in place aside from a little pressure. This does not work well! They will wobble around and turn all kinds of ways. It's just really annoying to fiddle them back into place only to have them wobble about again as soon as you move the arm a bit. I really can't understand why they did this. They already had better arm designs with the z'gok, hy-gogg and even the plain old gogg. They must have had a reason but I just can't figure it out. Ultimately I would recommend to glue the casings together into one single piece just as I did. No more wobbling and if the piece turns you can easily turn it back into place.

I also ended up putting glue into the ends of both stick parts because I didn't trust the connection strength. I never did as much glueing on a HG kit as I did on this one fyi.

My issues with the arms don't end there though. See that ring my tweezer is pointing at? That's a loose piece held by two tiny teeth connectors. It will pop out regularly if you move the elbow about. Very annoying! I will glue this too when I decide to paint this kit.

A little bit of scorn is also deserved when it comes to the hands. You have to place the claws into the top of the hand and then push it down on the frame for the hands. The only thing that will support the claws from below are tiny pegs that sorta push against them. That quickly leads to some claws being droopy. I thickened all the balls on the claws to make them a lot more firm. Also putting the shell over the frame with the claws is fiddly and annoying.

The legs are a lot less problematic but they still have this weird stick design. Pushing in the bottom part can suck a bit since it connects to a soft polycap that you have to hit just right while it's hidden from your view. Again just glue the casings into a single piece and never look back. I also glued the top of the stick into the casing just like on the arms.

Lastly I want to point out that there are certain parts where the nub is placed right next to detail lines or a surface that sits slightly lower. Hard to clean that properly without doing damage to the detail around it. A cardinal sin in model kit design imo. At least you don't have to deal with too many seams on the kit. There are some on the torso and waist but the waist can mostly be ignored by normal people. Front and back of the shins have a seam though and there is an annoying seam on the shoulders. Due to the construction you will not be able to remove the shoulders for painting if you fix the seam so I've put that off for now. The propulsion pack does have a seam going all the way around it and fixing that does require some work and patience. Oh the undersides of the feet also dont close perfectly but fixing that is probably not worth anyones time outside of studio grade modeling.

Welp that's my review for the z'gok-e. An old kit that made choices which have already been done better before it. I still have love for this kit but boy did it test my patience.

TLDR: only get this if you're a serious pinchy boi enjoyer.