Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
emma's mother literally gave her bulimia because she wanted a daughter in showbiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Outrail posted:

"Anorexia, in a specific situation, may have been a contributing factor to creating more good than ill, but does not in anyway create an argument that anorexia should be glorified or encouraged."

I mean you could make the same situationally specific argument about carrying guns in public or cats, but that doesn't mean they're generally a good thing to promote.

Is this about people carrying cats in public, people carrying guns in cats or just cats?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
This show glorifies setting yourself on fire, shooting lasers from your eyes, and brainwashing people with just a touch.

Utter trash

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is this about people carrying cats in public, people carrying guns in cats or just cats?

Just Cats, I should have capitalized the movie title but yeah the other two as well.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fozzy The Bear posted:

brainwashing people with just a touch.

I mentioned this above, but I did find the presentation around this a little questionable.

Like, okay, obviously despite her protestations to the contrary Cate doesn't give a flying gently caress about consent. And I think it's morally fine to use your consent overriding superpowers in certain situations e.g. to stop secret military types from killing your friend. But the way the show handles the discussions around this character and her powers doesn't seem as nuanced as with the cutting / purging etc. subplots. There's a slightly righteous quality to the jokes, with upbeat music choices or gag comedy beats, and no real suggestion of how terrifying / upsetting / violating this would be. And I thought it was a bit rich of the show to expect me to care about the character when she started seizing a minute later, as a direct result of her doing a bunch of sexual assaults throughout the episode. Oh no, she raped too much, fingers crossed she survives this error in judgement.

Like, it's obviously a little more complicated than that, and my vibe is that the character might be gearing towards a secret villain reveal anyway, but I don't think I liked the tonal choices around some of these beats.

Also it raises a bunch of questions: do these guards forget what happened to them? Are they meant to be so embarrassed they don't mention what happened to anyone? (Unless I missed it, she didn't actually tell the guards to stay quiet about what happened.) What's to stop them from coming after Cate and Andre later on, seeking revenge?

But, then again, I have a similar concerns with the show sort of brushing off Andre (nearly) murdering a woman. He doesn't seem to care, none of his friends seem to care, and even his father (a lovely man, certainly, but one who's obsessed with protecting his son's image) doesn't seem to care either. And maybe we're meant to read that as being a part of who they all are, but I suspect we're just sort of meant to forget about that and move on.

I dunno, it's all up in the air at this point, but these first two episodes pretty explicitly told us that Cate's a rapist and Andre almost killed someone and didn't care, and I dunno if that's meant to be continually on our minds in the same way that Marie's accidental slaughter of her family is.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 2, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm trying to be charitable but maybe they're trying present them as morally ambitious. Yeah they try and do the right thing, but also take the easy way out sometimes and other times they're just shitbags. Because they're children with godlike powers and that does poo poo to developing minds.

Basically decent people doing stupid lovely things is basically Humanity 101.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Powers in The Boysiverse are hard to use in a beneficial way. Homelander can’t save an airplane because of physics. Translucent has to be naked and was sucked into voyeurism. The deep has freaky gills and a complicated relationship to eating/eating animals.
Cate might still see consequences from using her powers for petty revenge in ep 2. But I was surprised by her nuance in the episode three flashbacks: she won’t manipulate people she likes to avoid difficult emotions. And we aren’t supposed to like her argument “I could make you do something, but I won’t, but I could.”

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What impresses me most is that the prop from the episode three finale is entirely practical. They made it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you talking about the head?

Also, it seems like a thing in this universe that supes don't care about regular humans. You kind of have to be that way when your powers allow you to accidentally kill someone so easily as it so often happens in the shows. A bunch of the supes back story is "whoops, I accidentally killed my family member when my powers suddenly manifested." So almost killing someone won't even be on their radar.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

Well, no, it's episode three of at least eight episodes, IMO there's obviously going to be an arc here.

There's already an arc here, but it's being overlooked if not wilfully ignored. For example, Marie self-harms to get the blood she needs for her powers because she feels guilt about her parents, but then she learns she can manipulate the blood of other people as well - to help.

Moving to Emma: she specifically says it's her mother who taught her to purge. Which begs the question of how she discovered her powers, doesn't it? It's very unlikely to have been an accident. "Mom made me purge so I'd be skinny for the Young Hero pageant, but then my costume didn’t fit for a different reason" is logical enough, but I don't think it's as likely as Emma getting sick as a child and shrinking when she threw up before coming back to normal size when she was able to eat. Then her mother saw a way for her to "use her powers at will".

Me, I'm looking forward to a scene where Emma realises she can order in a king size Domino's, turn into She-Hulk and punch her bitch mother into orbit.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah I think they're saving the reveal that if she eats more than her daily caloric usage she gets bigger too. I'm sure it will be accompanied by some gross overkill on a nameless soldier.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
"what's your super power?" "I can drink a quart of olive oil then throw a tank"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If you can drink a quart of oil without throwing up that's basically a superpower in of itself

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jedit posted:

There's already an arc here, but it's being overlooked if not wilfully ignored. For example, Marie self-harms to get the blood she needs for her powers because she feels guilt about her parents, but then she learns she can manipulate the blood of other people as well - to help.

Absolutely looking forward to some epic fight where the more people she kills the more blood there is around so the more powerful she gets.

I'm mostly impressed at how strong Emma is. Tunneling through a guys head by hand is hard work.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't worry about whether or not The Boys or this spinoff will age well, because the whole gist of this show is 'lets put people in the most fraught situations ever and just see what happens'. To the point that yes there is some satire and some messages that come from always dealing with fraught subjects, mostly its just spectacle.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

exmarx posted:

emma's mother literally gave her bulimia because she wanted a daughter in showbiz

Yeah, that's kind of what makes this show good, because it shows what happens when there isn't a Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters which gives them a balanced education in addition to encouraging them to learn how to better harness and control their powers.

For all anyone knows, Emma could shrink and enlarge if she concentrates enough. But since vomiting does it, oh well, I guess we don't have to focus on THAT anymore! Problem solved! :v:

Same with Marie. It's entirely possible she has magnetic powers as well, and what we see as "she controls blood" might be her ability to wield blood as a weapon because she can control the iron/hemoglobin in it. Hell, she might even be able to cure cancer with it, but all Vought can see is "marketable woman of color."

That's always been the most interesting part of this universe - every supe could be *more* if they were encouraged to put some thought into their actions and powers (even Homelander barely knows how to do anything with his), but they're encouraged to be lazy, stupid, and vain. I mean, they're in a college where the most valuable "degrees" are BFAs and Communications.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 2, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Edit: oof, I don't know how I got it in my head it was the forest

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 2, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The secret project was named 'The Forest' simply so someone from Vought can use the 'Can't see the forest for the trees' pun when someone asks about the morality of what they're doing to kids, isn't it.

Oh mate, I'm sorry but it's called The Woods.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what makes this show good, because it shows what happens when there isn't a Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters which gives them a balanced education in addition to encouraging them to learn how to better harness and control their powers.

For all anyone knows, Emma could shrink and enlarge if she concentrates enough. But since vomiting does it, oh well, I guess we don't have to focus on THAT anymore! Problem solved! :v:

Same with Marie. It's entirely possible she has magnetic powers as well, and what we see as "she controls blood" might be her ability to wield blood as a weapon because she can control the iron/hemoglobin in it. Hell, she might even be able to cure cancer with it, but all Vought can see is "marketable woman of color."

That's always been the most interesting part of this universe - every supe could be *more* if they were encouraged to put some thought into their actions and powers (even Homelander barely knows how to do anything with his), but they're encouraged to be lazy, stupid, and vain. I mean, they're in a college where the most valuable "degrees" are BFAs and Communications.

This is one thing I've always loved about The Boys universe. Using super powers to fight crime is just such a bad idea in reality. Whether it's Blue Hawk brutalizing neighborhoods or even that there's barely any crime that needs super hero intervention it's just a dumb bad idea. Like using a nuke to end a hostage standoff.

It absolutely makes way more sense to use them as celebrity fodder because his forbid if they actually tried to stop crimes there would be so many more dead civilians

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Supes would be good at stopping crime and preventing civilian casualties if the right supes with the right powers and the right training and the right mentality/values working under the right supervision/regulations were used. But if you just let a bunch of powerful assholes with the ability to kill just go for it you get real world parallels.

So good in theory and almost certainly terrible in practice because of society, capitalism and human nature.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

This is one thing I've always loved about The Boys universe. Using super powers to fight crime is just such a bad idea in reality. Whether it's Blue Hawk brutalizing neighborhoods or even that there's barely any crime that needs super hero intervention it's just a dumb bad idea. Like using a nuke to end a hostage standoff.

It absolutely makes way more sense to use them as celebrity fodder because his forbid if they actually tried to stop crimes there would be so many more dead civilians

Yeah, I enjoy how they explore it in this series - like the world acknowledges that Mesmer might be able to touch someone and ascertain if they're guilty of a crime or not...but unless the person consented to his probing their mind, that evidence is inadmissible and might actually HURT the prosecution's case.

And while we never see kids learning calc/trig at Xavier's School (because it'd be boring), you know it's taught because a disproportionate amount of the X-Men know how to fly a loving hypersonic VTOL jet.

Andre and Luke could've probably between the two of them figured out a way to make fusion power work, since one controls thermonuclear energy and the other magnetics, but again, the ~optics~ aren't as lucrative there so :nallears:.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Outrail posted:

Supes would be good at stopping crime and preventing civilian casualties if the right supes with the right powers and the right training and the right mentality/values working under the right supervision/regulations were used. But if you just let a bunch of powerful assholes with the ability to kill just go for it you get real world parallels.

So good in theory and almost certainly terrible in practice because of society, capitalism and human nature.

Like how could traditionally depicted crime fighting actually be a net good? Wage theft by corporations dwarf petty theft by a huge margin, bank robberies are rare, with most thefts and "street" level crime being crimes of opportunity conducted by those pushed out of eaening money in a traditional manner.

The only way I can see superheroics actually not being a fascistic tool of capital is billionaires were the only criminals targetted.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can't find it on youtube, but pretend I posted the ending of "I Am A Virgo" where the revolutionary commie talks the billionaire vigilante out of doing the poo poo he's been doing by giving him a lecture on how capitalism creates criminality and, in fact, requires it to survive.

Actually, if you like The Boys, you'll probably like "I Am A Virgo".

Edit: Oh found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIeLqx_AstY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUq-bk-x6tw

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 3, 2023

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Sorry if this has already been posted, but isn't Emma's power pretty much a ripoff of Big Bertha from Marvel's Great Lakes Avengers?

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
Wait til you hear my theory about homelander and superman

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water
In season 2 Stormfront(the Nazi), and Vought both made a big deal out of Homeboy being the first "natural born superhero." Obviously a much bigger deal to them than the public, since for 50+ years the latter thought all supes were natural born, and even the Compound V reveal can't erase that kind of history.

But now it seems like Polarity passed his powers on to Andre, even fudging the numbers we're looking at 10+years prior to Homeboy, and nobody blinks an eye. I guess maybe Polarity dosed him as a kid, so Vought is less interested? Maybe I'm overthinking a spinoff to a show where the most wanted man in America can vault into a secure compound and waltz in and out of hospitals and public places, but it just kinda stuck with me a little bit, more than the other stuff I can wallpaper over

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

PostNouveau posted:

I can't find it on youtube, but pretend I posted the ending of "I Am A Virgo" where the revolutionary commie talks the billionaire vigilante out of doing the poo poo he's been doing by giving him a lecture on how capitalism creates criminality and, in fact, requires it to survive.

Actually, if you like The Boys, you'll probably like "I Am A Virgo".

Edit: Oh found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIeLqx_AstY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUq-bk-x6tw

Yeah the political commentary in I'm A Virgo is really on a whole different level from The Boys. The difference between actually having a point you're trying to make and gesturing vaguely towards the same generic "man corporations sure are evil! absolute power corrupts absolutely" stuff you learn in the seventh grade. It helps that the showrunner (the GOAT Boots Riley) is an actual honest-to-god communist, of course.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

PostNouveau posted:

I can't find it on youtube, but pretend I posted the ending of "I Am A Virgo"

Isn't that a major spoiler for those who haven't seen the show?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Gynovore posted:

Sorry if this has already been posted, but isn't Emma's power pretty much a ripoff of Big Bertha from Marvel's Great Lakes Avengers?

Unless we're talking about later parts of JoJo I figure every power has a precedent. And the only reason late JoJo powers aren't copied is because they're all so abstract and confusing. Like the power to turn people into slugs if they look at a rainbow

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
The real reason superheros don't work well for crime fighting:

They make cops look bad. Like let's say there's a competent and effective superhero fighting crime. What do you think happens to the local police budget?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Panfilo posted:

The real reason superheros don't work well for crime fighting:

They make cops look bad. Like let's say there's a competent and effective superhero fighting crime. What do you think happens to the local police budget?

I am almost positive this is brought up in S1 of The Boys. Cities pay for their supes.

So it's more likely that social programs are even more underfunded so you can have some maniac with powers running around.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

lukevictorious posted:

In season 2 Stormfront(the Nazi), and Vought both made a big deal out of Homeboy being the first "natural born superhero." Obviously a much bigger deal to them than the public, since for 50+ years the latter thought all supes were natural born, and even the Compound V reveal can't erase that kind of history.

But now it seems like Polarity passed his powers on to Andre, even fudging the numbers we're looking at 10+years prior to Homeboy, and nobody blinks an eye. I guess maybe Polarity dosed him as a kid, so Vought is less interested? Maybe I'm overthinking a spinoff to a show where the most wanted man in America can vault into a secure compound and waltz in and out of hospitals and public places, but it just kinda stuck with me a little bit, more than the other stuff I can wallpaper over

Based on everything we know about the scant few related Supers, there is clearly some genetic component that determines what powers they have. They always tend to be the same or similar. There's no indication that Andre was born with his magnetism, but him and his dad having the same powers is consistent with what we've been shown before so it still follows naturally from them both being dosed with V.

That the show is incredibly keen to point out that repeatedly that Compound V's existence and how it was the source of everyone's powers is public knowledge means that this comes up a lot, even. If anything, I was thinking it could get mentioned less because its like several times in every episode so far.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Baltimore was going to spend $230 million/year for Nubian Prince so you can probably assume that comes out of the city's education, public services and other municipal budgets, property taxes, etc etc. Never the police budget.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Butcher getting a Homelander power copy while Hughie gets teleportation probably isn't an accident.

Though increased toughness seems to be a thing that happens no matter what.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
looking forward to very interesting discussions about powerlevels and some of the biggest geniuses in TVIV grappling with some of the most obvious subtext i've ever seen.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dongicus posted:

looking forward to very interesting discussions about powerlevels and some of the biggest geniuses in TVIV grappling with some of the most obvious subtext i've ever seen.

You live for this poo poo.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You live for this poo poo.

big fan of the type of goon from last page who really wants a woke version of the HAYS code for television lol. depicting anything is endorsing it.

On topic:

Why does Butcher hate Homelander? Did i miss something?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
sublimated homoeroticism

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dongicus posted:

Why does Butcher hate Homelander? Did i miss something?

He originally thought that Homelander raped *and* killed Becca. Turns out he very probably intimidated (raped) her thinking it was a victimless crime since (apparently) one drawback to Compound V is sterility, and someone as hosed in the head as Homelander likely sees that as carte blanche to gently caress whomever he wants, whenever he wants.

That said, he blames Homelander for Becca's death because through his actions she actually ended up dying, and he now has a massive rage-on for Vought and Homelander because they kept his wife from him for over a decade. I still think Butcher's the one who actually killed Becca - he was swinging away with that crowbar and her wound didn't look like it was from a laser blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still think Butcher's the one who actually killed Becca - he was swinging away with that crowbar and her wound didn't look like it was from a laser blast.

Stormfront probably tore a chunk of her neck out when Ryan hit her with the laser blast.