Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

echinopsis posted:

yeah I recommend people use these things, making sure they're not overdosing and going thru plenty of fluids for the ibuprofen (dehydration and NSAIDs are bad news) because they act as very effective anti-misery drugs. colds are poo poo, might as well take advantage of modern chems

the risk of kidney damage (acute renal failure) from nsaids alone isn't very high. throw in a diuretic and it gets risky. add an ace inhibitor or A2RI (like candesartan, interestingly, a drug class that acts on the receptor that covid has a passion for) and you get what is officially called the "triple whammy", which is a bullet train to acute renal failure. not many young people are on diuretics or ace/a2ri so we don't normally have to worry.. AND ibuprofen otc doses (1200mg daily) aren't quite as risky.

while im rambling : all nsaids are theoretically as effective as each other, you just gotta take enough. ibuprofen is prolly one of the safest, maybe naproxen comes close or is better, but we also dose people with ibuprofen otc at HALF the maximum dose. doctors prescribe up to 2400mg daily. at that dose, ibuprofen starts to have the same risks that diclofenac has (but also similar pain killing ability), for example. diclofenac/voltaren is only as effective as it is because drs or whoever tend to dose people at the maximum dose (150mg daily) which means you're operating at the top of the nsaid dose range for that drug. its no more effective than ibuprofen necessarily, its just that its commonly given at the upper limits of nsaid doses whereas ibuprofen is commonly given at half that.

good times my friends

unironically stuff like this is what got me into pharmacy, which in retrospect I’m glad I dropped out of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cowboy beepboop posted:

my wife was just telling me yesterday it's been ages since our kids threw up so of course our daughter threw up in her cot some time during the night :argh:
skill issue

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I have to work on staying hydrated, partly from other medication (lamotrigine for epilepsy), partly because I'm historically poo poo at drinking enough water (for years I would basically drink like two cups of coffee during the day and that was basically it, unless I was going to the pub), and at the moment because this fever had me sweating so much I actually woke up soaked.

I pray that this is something my daughter gave me and it's not going to go back the other way.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Less miserable news: this morning I could hear my wife shouting "where are you?" With increasing levels of urgency as there was no response (and she wasn't just sitting transfixed by the TV because we're bad parents that let her watch it in the morning) and this graduated to running around the house in a mild panic.

Turns out she was standing in a wardrobe and when found went "you found me!" So I guess she's properly learned hide and seek now and doesn't keep saying where she is when doing it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

yeah we had to learn (and practice) *always, always* answer when their names are called. even at home, even during games. and it goes both ways.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

unironically stuff like this is what got me into pharmacy, which in retrospect I’m glad I dropped out of

i’ve left it too late in life now I reckon to make a meaningful change in direction :cry:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

i’ve left it too late in life now I reckon to make a meaningful change in direction :cry:
you can still help the boys echi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
14yo asked me yesterday if i’d ever done lsd and I was like “uhhhh” (thinking about best way to answer this) “uh no”

and he goes “ew you nerd”

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

posting from beyond the grave I see

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:cry:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Fool posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

dads cannot be killed, we are already dead

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm already dad
i'm already dad
i'm already dad

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm already dad
i'm already dad
i'm already dad

I remember her saying it

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm already dad
i'm already dad
i'm already dad

hi already dad, im dad

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i am am contemplating a name change to "i'm already dad"

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
the living dad

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Fool posted:

Kenny Logins posted:

dads cannot be killed, we are already dad

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

skill issue

correct

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

14yo asked me yesterday if i’d ever done lsd and I was like “uhhhh” (thinking about best way to answer this) “uh no”

and he goes “ew you nerd”

lol did you ask him why he's asking

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I didn’t, but who knows. he’s randomly come and told me that the riff at the start of part 2 of shine on you crazy diamond is called barrett’s riff (or syds riff or something) and that syd barrett visited the studio when it was being recorded it and pink floyd didn’t recognise him and that syd took fuckloads of lsd in the 60s and ended up psychotic

and do you remember the poo poo we used to talk about at 14, even before the internet?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

echo you're a good dad teaching your kid to own you as hard as this, well done

echinopsis posted:

and do you remember the poo poo we used to talk about at 14, even before the internet?

mostly homophobia and south park iirc

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I have to work on staying hydrated, partly from other medication (lamotrigine for epilepsy), partly because I'm historically poo poo at drinking enough water (for years I would basically drink like two cups of coffee during the day and that was basically it, unless I was going to the pub), and at the moment because this fever had me sweating so much I actually woke up soaked.

I pray that this is something my daughter gave me and it's not going to go back the other way.

exactly the same except without the fever

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my daughter is pretty yospos, yesterday she down in tears about how poo poo chromeos and roblox is

‘whoever invented these things is not a nice person. why are there so many problems’

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hopefully you told her that her operating system is a piece of poo poo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i did. we agreed she’s getting an ipad for christmas

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ipads are good coz you can’t do gently caress all with them

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

echinopsis posted:

ipads are good coz you can’t do gently caress all with them
If you don't believe that's a feature there's no helping you.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

welp my boy's teeth finally popped out, i feel something sharp in there now. i thought it was going to be the center ones first, but it feels more off-center than i'd expect, like it's one of the lateral ones.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was going thru some old stuff and found some tool cds. eldest hes been listening to lots of music lately, and he knows some tool from spotify but its a bit of a special thing to listen on cd or whatever (he got the wall for xmas on vinyl, that was his life goal lol)

anyway right now he's in the lounge listening to lateralus, singing along, "dancing" or rocking out or whatever

I'm so pleased. rocking out to music I love is one of the greatest joys in life and it's so sick to see him doing it... to music I grew up listening to :smugmrgw:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

child abuse

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

mini echi gets an account even sooner

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

octonauts is the current fave and she's declared herself to be the mechanic one and walks around with tools tucked into her nappy lmao

also we got an "emergency! Emergency!" shout when she'd poured water all over her bed again.

I do wish she'd be consistent about using the drat toilet though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you gotta be a good role model and be consistent with the toilet yourself first

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

she did say "can I watch you?" when I said I was going to the toilet and I had to explain that "no, we don't watch people going to the toilet" and stop myself saying "this isn't Germany"

also I just realised that if we're out anywhere then this is probably going to be unavoidable so rip my consistency

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

octonauts is the current fave and she's declared herself to be the mechanic one and walks around with tools tucked into her nappy lmao

also we got an "emergency! Emergency!" shout when she'd poured water all over her bed again.

I do wish she'd be consistent about using the drat toilet though.

creature report

creature report

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
one thing i learned from the last 8 or so weeks is while everyone warns you it will be difficult, no one warns you how boring it can be. ive spent more time holding a bottle and staring at the walls at 4am than i want to count.

however, we are now at a point where m'boy is giving consistent and real smiles and its changed everything. hes gone from a meatball im terrified of to the beginnings of a little pal. i cant wait to hang out with him every day now.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

bicycle posted:

one thing i learned from the last 8 or so weeks is while everyone warns you it will be difficult, no one warns you how boring it can be. ive spent more time holding a bottle and staring at the walls at 4am than i want to count.

however, we are now at a point where m'boy is giving consistent and real smiles and its changed everything. hes gone from a meatball im terrified of to the beginnings of a little pal. i cant wait to hang out with him every day now.

yeah it’s the constant deluge of very simple basic and boring things that are needed every hour or two regardless of sleep for months on end that breaks people.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
practice mindfulness my friend, enjoy the time when you can hold them in the crook of one arm. The noises a feeding baby makes are some of the best you will ever hear, listen to them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
seriously, enjoy this time! I’m on my third and still get amazed at how fast they grow