Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zodium posted:

you'd have to be able to make a bike lock

You can order one from aliexpress and then use it to fix the ship it came on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://twitter.com/Militarydotcom/status/1707947916290109596?s=20

x-posting from the other troop thread

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.army-technology.com/new...2022%2C%202023.

More evidence that "high mobility" BCTs are going the way of the dodo. No problem, I'm sure NATO will adjust quickly after spending 20 years doing this boondoggle.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So the military can't provide shelter
And it can't provide clothing

The next article is going to be about a shortage of MREs and health hazards in the commissaries

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The expired MREs and inadequate dfacs story was a few months ago.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Facehammer posted:

And to show he means it, he'll donate some of those F-35s to Ukraine.

14 of them, to be precise.

Didn't this happen with tanks from Germany?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Votskomit posted:

Didn't this happen with tanks from Germany?

yep, the initial order was for only 14, then it got upgraded to 88

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The expired MREs and inadequate dfacs story was a few months ago.

Lol!!!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Canadian Army gave up on supplying boots after a 10 year debacle.

I don't think you guys understand that to them procuring F-35s is easier than things like boots, sewing kits, uniforms, 155mm shells.

It's an impossibility to have leather boots or textile uniforms in the supply system, whereas multirole stealth fighters, well just write the cheque.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Frosted Flake posted:

The Canadian Army gave up on supplying boots after a 10 year debacle.

I don't think you guys understand that to them procuring F-35s is easier than things like boots, sewing kits, uniforms, 155mm shells.

It's an impossibility to have leather boots or textile uniforms in the supply system, whereas multirole stealth fighters, well just write the cheque.

imagine a combat boot designed and produced by the current mic, at least you get spared from that

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

the new battlefield had network enabled scopes that had little Wi-Fi icons that would fluctuate randomly and everyone made fun of it for being stupid as poo poo but then it turned out it was a real product in development for the us military

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

FrancisFukyomama posted:

the new battlefield had network enabled scopes that had little Wi-Fi icons that would fluctuate randomly and everyone made fun of it for being stupid as poo poo but then it turned out it was a real product in development for the us military

what like the wifi on the scope was doing something with the image?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The scope runs linux and checks real time wind speed for you?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

The scope runs linux and checks real time wind speed for you?

The scope runs a bitcoin miner

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
i haven't read the thread but agree with the title

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Jel Shaker posted:

what like the wifi on the scope was doing something with the image?

I think the scope was hooked up to The Cloud and streamed data to commanders or something? the kind of boondoggle that the mic loves but now with more IoT hype

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Megamissen posted:

imagine a combat boot designed and produced by the current mic, at least you get spared from that

so it will suck by design, cost 5 digits per pair, made by china to the lowest bidder under the most minimal of nationalistic pretense and china still gets blamed

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Palladium posted:

so it will suck by design, cost 5 digits per pair, made by china to the lowest bidder under the most minimal of nationalistic pretense and china still gets blamed

Also if it gets rained on, it instantly shrinks and crushes the wearer's foot

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
yeah but it’s STEALTH

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

So the military can't provide shelter
And it can't provide clothing

The next article is going to be about a shortage of MREs and health hazards in the commissaries

If you didn't eat MREs with chocolate rations so old they were already crumbled into white powder and giving every main meal packet a sniff test before consuming, did you even work for a real military?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
at this rate the us military is going to get stuck issuing expired pla rations from the 70s they got off of a surplus website in a panic. mres so far gone even steve1989 would give em a pass

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
MREs will be replaced with ads for local restaurants. Eat out to help out.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bar Crow posted:

MREs will be replaced with ads for local restaurants. Eat out to help out.

This is called "eating on the economy", it's reimbursed, and in some commands, yes they prefer it over giving you a mess card.

For the same reason as the poo poo they pulled with on-base housing being "market price" - local restaurants complained they were being undercut by the mess.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just imagining the 101st airborne rushing to secure an air dropped supply crate only to find it's packed with denny's discount vouchers and uber eats QR codes

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Years ago the US did a pilot program in select units where they tried just giving soldiers the money back that gets pulled from their check to pay for government dining facilities. Some soldiers were pretty smart with the funds, which was hard given how limited the kitchen space/appliances were in the barracks, and so they ate well and even saved more money. But much more common was that they'd run out of money halfway through the month getting takeout or being frustrated with the lack of cooking space, so the whole thing was scrapped and they went back to just sending them to government run dining facilities.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Why the gently caress wouldn't soldiers eat at the mess?

Some parts of military life have an essential social function. The government feeds you 3 square, even as you grumble at the deductions from your pay, because that's what messing is. We've seen them cut: tailoring, barbering, wet messes (bars), canteens (coffee), walking out uniforms, private quarters, barracks, garrison schools, chapels, parks, bands, sports.

It took 100 years of army reforms to get those things in the first place and we're seeing all of those collective benefits chipped away under the presumption that individual choice is better, and private delivery of services more efficient. Like, sure, getting a haircut every two weeks and having to eat with the people you work with could be onerous, but the whole social contract was that this wasn't a job like any other.

Idk, people are not going to love the army more if they're forced to eat at the mess, they might feel robbed by the deductions coming out of their pay, but that's kind of the rot at the centre of the whole thing. It shouldn't feel forced and they shouldn't feel robbed because they should be clearly getting something out of it. Whatever that something is, when it's missing, all of the things people had collective pride in, like the shaves and haircuts, just feel like individual annoyances.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Part of the origin of the program was soldiers saying "I could do better if you just gave me the money," but it turns out that no, mostly they cannot, because even accounting for paying cooks, mass meals produced in an industrial kitchen with subsidized ingredients are a lot better than just giving soldiers in the barracks $300-400/month extra pay and hoping they figure out how to do more than order pizza.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Some parts of military life have an essential social function. The government feeds you 3 square, even as you grumble at the deductions from your pay, because that's what messing is. We've seen them cut: tailoring, barbering, wet messes (bars), canteens (coffee), walking out uniforms, private quarters, barracks, garrison schools, chapels, parks, bands, sports.

It took 100 years of army reforms to get those things in the first place and we're seeing all of those collective benefits chipped away under the presumption that individual choice is better, and private delivery of services more efficient. Like, sure, getting a haircut every two weeks and having to eat with the people you work with could be onerous, but the whole social contract was that this wasn't a job like any other.

Idk, people are not going to love the army more if they're forced to eat at the mess, they might feel robbed by the deductions coming out of their pay, but that's kind of the rot at the centre of the whole thing. It shouldn't feel forced and they shouldn't feel robbed because they should be clearly getting something out of it. Whatever that something is, when it's missing, all of the things people had collective pride in, like the shaves and haircuts, just feel like individual annoyances.

you think this is bad, wait until they finally get around to identifying the soldiers themselves as the cost center to reduce

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
eating at the mess is fun because you get to hang out with your homies during lunch break.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

mass meals produced in an industrial kitchen with subsidized ingredients are a lot better than just giving soldiers in the barracks $300-400/month extra pay and hoping they figure out how to do more than order pizza.

it's almost like harnessing the forces of production and economies of scale via central planning is better than capitalist profit-seeking

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

seeing the hyper individualized rational actors of the modern contractor army go up against commies is gonna melt so many brains

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's almost like harnessing the forces of production and economies of scale via central planning is better than capitalist profit-seeking

that doesn't make the right people rich tho :colbert:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cafeterias and mess halls rule. gently caress chilimac tho

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Someone pointed out that the advertising for uber eats and grub hub in the most well-off urban metropolitan areas focuses on people eating alone. If that points to even the idea of ordering pizza as something you do with other people going away, lol we're going to lose WW3.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol like half my orders when I delivered were a personal pan and six wings

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

i say swears online posted:

lol like half my orders when I delivered were a personal pan and six wings

lol goddamn thats dark

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

i say swears online posted:

cafeterias and mess halls rule. gently caress chilimac tho

Supposedly sailors/marines go nuts for it, idk. Some of the army mess halls from Iraq looked pretty sad.

But yeah, it really isn't any different than artillery shells or tanks, the best case scenario is just the government goes on and does it. Honestly, one thing that kind of sucks about modern day Moscow, at least before the war, was that Stolovayas (canteens), even in government buildings, were disappearing in favor of local fast food or private cafeterias like Mu-mu's (which is extremely over-priced).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

at this rate the us military is going to get stuck issuing expired pla rations from the 70s they got off of a surplus website in a panic. mres so far gone even steve1989 would give em a pass

Me, a defence procurement officer, frantically watching all the Steve1989MRE videos while trying to bulk order from anywhere stocked with my government credit card.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Someone pointed out that the advertising for uber eats and grub hub in the most well-off urban metropolitan areas focuses on people eating alone. If that points to even the idea of ordering pizza as something you do with other people going away, lol we're going to lose WW3.

Mmm-hmm. Everyone who can do basic maths orders two large pizzas even if its just for one person. That's a whole weekend of planned sloth right there. Even better if you pick them up in person on the way home from your local and hoof it.

Failure to even think that far ahead and ordering as they go while larping (or not larping) as a western "hikikomori" is pretty bad.

edit - thinking on this it would be very hard to track because the distribution chain doesn't involve gig couriers but I wonder what the sales of mail order biltong & jerky are currently like compared to say a decade ago. Anyone that knows will get what I'm talking about.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 08:19 on Oct 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

This is called "eating on the economy", it's reimbursed, and in some commands, yes they prefer it over giving you a mess card.

For the same reason as the poo poo they pulled with on-base housing being "market price" - local restaurants complained they were being undercut by the mess.

that loving rules. I’m sure it was the finest restaurants of Gagetown and Trenton complaining and not the kind of places that churn through Pinoy TFWs

having to live in a remote rear end area and having the finest food orange order white new Brunswickers have to offer