Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

For grips try playing around with getting obviously dominant positions. So georgian grip, sode(both sleeves), what ever t position is called in japanese, and lapel sleeve same side, and when you have this just start making stuff dynamic by just getting a lot of movement going, dont even worry about actually named attacks. That helped me kinda reverse engineer poo poo shintaro and jimmy pedro have shown about dominant grips in less obviously dominant positions.

Edit: like I think whats helped me go from complaining about always utilizing cowards tani otoshi to actually doing turn and forward throws and hitting them is just getting people moving as soon as I find a grip, instead of gripping up and waiting to see what my opponent does. At lower levels it really does feel that taking the initiative will just give you throws even if youre bad at them.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind next time we do randori.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Does anyone else feel like their problems with being outgripped all come down to not being able to analyze what is going on in time? I often have the feeling of being outgripped but afterwards I'm not even able to recall how I was being gripped, just the feeling of knowing I couldn't turn or reach them, and I feel like I'm not getting any better because I didn't learn any lessons.

Start with the basics. Analyze the things that happened before you could react. Film your rolls if you need to.

Last night I rolled with my instructor who is really good at getting to leglock positions and basically only plays leglocks. First two rolls got leglocked, I used these rolls as a way to analyze what he was doing to get to my legs. Ive been watching him roll with other people so that helped too obviously. Third roll, I decided that I was not going to allow him any hip movement if I was on top in side control or half. My third roll went a lot better and I eventually got to mount where I tried setting up a back take, but it all started from analyzing that one thing that he constantly was doing to everyone and then breaking that down and working from there.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
Only 2 months in and I've been out of class for a week waiting for my ears to heal. I went back to class a second day after they had started hurting before I knew better.

I don't see any cauliflower forming but I don't want to chance it by sticking my head in triangles until it's fully healed back up.

If I'm going to look like some kinda badass with lumpy potato ears, I want to actually have been doing this long enough to kinda justify the lumpy potato look.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Im surprised you ended up with cauliflower ear after only two months of grappling. get some wrestling headgear, should help a lot.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Defenestrategy posted:

Im surprised you ended up with cauliflower ear after only two months of grappling. get some wrestling headgear, should help a lot.

Fwiw I had cauliflower ear like three times my first year of training, I seem to be susceptible to it, much more so than others. I got them drained (though I waited too long a couple of times), and as a result I have mild but not too bad cauliflower.

The reason I don't get Cauliflower ear anymore is mostly because, now that I'm not a new white belt, I'm both much more able to not let people squeeze my head with their thighs (like a triangle with no arm, you can get taps if you stick a fist in but mostly it's beginner nonsense that goes nowhere), and also I'm willing just tap and mention my ears on the off Chance someone does it to me again. No one keeps doing it. I'd be pretty annoyed if they did, because they're not going to tap me but are going to give me cauliflower ear.

Anecdotally, the soft wrestling head gear won't help if you currently have cauliflower, you need to drain it and take a couple weeks off to let it heal. It can help you from getting it again if you're full healed but honestly, just don't do whatever is giving it to you. I don't apply pressure with my ear when sitting out, so my sit outs are slightly worse, I don't care, no more cauliflower ear.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Feels like people who get it start getting it early and if you aren't prone to it, it never happens.

I've got basically zero after 15 years.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

Xguard86 posted:

Feels like people who get it start getting it early and if you aren't prone to it, it never happens.

I'm not too sure if I'm susceptible to it. I don't see any visible evidence of it forming aside from redness. I'm more just presuming based off of them being very sore and trying to err on the side of caution. I can't afford to be uglier ..I mean, more badass looking...

In other news, there's a submission only style competition coming up near me in 2 months and I'm considering signing up for it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBGYhh0D2lY

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Same, but I think it might come down to not being in a gym full of people who are mediocre with triangles or guillotines. I say mediocre, because the people who are bad with them don't get close, and the people who are good with them basically tap me out immediately so I very rarely get to fight out of them.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Russian Leg Sweep .wav

Thats why brets the best there was or will be, always so considerate of his opponents in the ring.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Some peoples ears are just prone to it for some odd reason.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I got a little bit of it when I first started and haven't had sore ears more than once in the years since.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I've always considered the Russian leg sweep to be one of the least realistic moves in pro wrestling and was mind-blown to find that it was based on an actual move :)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Im trying to refresh a particular technique and I cant find a video for it.

You're on top side control grabbing for a kimura, in gi your opponent responds by grabbing his belt and in no gi they may respond by grabbing their inner thigh or going palm doen on their stomach. You react by effectively threading your grip through and moving to a sprawled north south position and cranking down and to the outside of your opponent, which results in a lot of pressure that will either break their wrist or they let go of their belt/thigh allowing a kimura twist from that position.

Same side kimura doesnt seem to be what youtube wants, and I dont know if this actually has a name.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Can't find a video but I've learned a similar finish. Rather than sprawling out in NS, raising hips up to a tripod/4points with a half kimura grip(the overhook arm pinning the wrist) and lifting the elbow to finish

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I can kinda visualize this but if anyone can find a video that'd be cool.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Defenestrategy posted:

Im trying to refresh a particular technique and I cant find a video for it.

You're on top side control grabbing for a kimura, in gi your opponent responds by grabbing his belt and in no gi they may respond by grabbing their inner thigh or going palm doen on their stomach. You react by effectively threading your grip through and moving to a sprawled north south position and cranking down and to the outside of your opponent, which results in a lot of pressure that will either break their wrist or they let go of their belt/thigh allowing a kimura twist from that position.

Same side kimura doesnt seem to be what youtube wants, and I dont know if this actually has a name.

Assuming I'm recognizing this correctly... I think I first heard of this called something like "artichoke in a can" (or similar, iirc artichoke was in the name), and then also called "arm tangle". I've since found a couple videos on it:

• Neil Melanson, who calls it a Power Kimura (honestly the name does fit with e.g. a "Power Armbar" being an armbar where their wrist is trapped under your armpit):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUMfgTne4nE

• And some other person Bruno Amorim also teaching this kimura variant, whose video here I apparently found at some point (not sure if he has a different name for it; the video is just titled "BJJ Kimura/Key Lock from Side Control Tutorial", and I don't have time to rewatch the video right now to check):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apOPhMHTt0Q

e: for a slight hit of bonus flavor, my own notes from (???) ago end with: "Depending on where their hand is (i.e. on their hip or not) and how their body works, this can result in a wrist lock, a forearm slicer(?), a kimura, and/or a neck crank."

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 29, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The bruno video at 440ish is exactly the move and near exactly the way I remember being taught. Thanks!

Also as far as the attacks, the wrist is when they are stupid and wont let go of the belt so you basically just drove their wrist into their body. Slicer is when you get really tight on it and they have big biceps so it feels real bad, but I dont see where you get a neck crank out of it unless maybe they have really really poor flexibility in the neck so the act od shifting their head out of the way hurts really bad?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Nah I know what a bicep slicer is (and did even back whenever I originally took those notes too!), and I don't think you're gonna have the force or angle to threaten one. Questionable appellation aside, iirc by "forearm slicer(?)" I meant something along the lines of like, if they have a tight grip on their belt or lapel and manage to keep their wrist well-supported too, then their ulna might well be the next-weakest link in the chain.

For any neck crank: as you say, a neck crank is probably only gonna happen if their neck is real sore and/or inflexible, and also probably only if you use the hip-on-jaw version (Melanson demonstrates it I think?) and somehow have better leverage with your Buttock Of Justice than with your two arms on their one. The possibility seems a little hazy regardless!

(Overall I don't mean to protest too much tho, as I included my own note due to finding it somewhat entertaining on my initial reread, and I intended to include it as such, rather than any sort of Authoritative Source On What Will Happen. I wholly defer to the experts in the videos I linked!)

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
The 2nd video is basically what I was attempting to describe with different probably better finishing mechanics. Going to try that tonight.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If you got a double wristlock and they're defending by grabbing the belt you can get em up on their side, circle to north/south and do a headscissors. It's slightly technical to finish but you will catch 100% of people who haven't seen it before

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I haven't tried it against the belt grab, but lately I've been using this one when they grab their leg, or straighten out their arm:

Basically if you point their hips upwards you can then rip the kimura up and put it behind their back. It's so simple.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Did the seminar with Eli Knight yesterday. Nice guy. Going into these things as a brown belt is sometimes a little hit or miss. I would say 5-10% of what he showed I havent seen before or some little detail that is new. There was a calf slicer that he showed from deep half that was difficult for me to get too, and I basically wrote it off as "not a move for me" kind of thing. I tried it and put quite a bit of stress on my knee. But my legs are tree truncks so it might be a body geometry sort of thing.

It was basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBKJfcCxiGw

Anyone seen this before?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Anyone seen this before?

I used this as a spry brand new 25 year old blue belt what still had two functional shins, but I avoid half guard and deep half guard like the plague these days. IF you wanted to use a calf slicer from deep half I would suggest moving fully into bear trap first and finish the slicer from their back instead of finishing from your own back from like a half bear trap.

edit: the only physically limiting factor to that move, imo, is being able to move in and out of pigeon pose position without pain.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 1, 2023

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

I used this as a spry brand new 25 year old blue belt what still had two functional shins, but I avoid half guard and deep half guard like the plague these days. IF you wanted to use a calf slicer from deep half I would suggest moving fully into bear trap first and finish the slicer from their back instead of finishing from your own back from like a half bear trap.

edit: the only physically limiting factor to that move, imo, is being able to move in and out of pigeon pose position without pain.

I dont know what the pigeon pose is but for an old dude like me it just sounds like it hurts lol

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I dont know what the pigeon pose is but for an old dude like me it just sounds like it hurts lol

https://www.ekhartyoga.com/resources/yoga-poses/pigeon-pose

Its basically outer hip mobility, variations on this position pop up randomly in grappling so its certainly worth the time to get it decent at going in and out of this.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

https://www.ekhartyoga.com/resources/yoga-poses/pigeon-pose

Its basically outer hip mobility, variations on this position pop up randomly in grappling so its certainly worth the time to get it decent at going in and out of this.

Thanks for posting this. If it increases hip mobility, that probably a good thing.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

starkebn posted:

I've been watching https://bjjfanatics.com/collections/garry-tonon/products/habits-for-highly-effective-jiu-jitsu-by-garry-tonon and I think it's the best collection of bjj tips I've ever seen. If you're high blue belt and above I highly recommend you get your eyes on it, it will probably answer a lot of little questions you didn't know to ask. I've actually just sat down and watched two hours so far and feel I've absorbed advice that will actually improve my bjj. It's not "here's how to do technique X which leads into technique Y", it's "here's how to properly do all the things you're trying to do"

Garry is an underrated teacher. His leg lock DVD is good too.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Has anyone ever heard of a Judo turnover from turtle called Super Rolling Thunder? I found one video but I'm kind of dense and need a step by step breakdown because I absolutely must hit this move in BJJ, so that some one asks me about it, so that I can say it's called Super Rolling Thunder.

https://youtu.be/16-LQNgTnSY?si=2RboVmn5wFHfFjWm

Looks like a pretty good and unappreciated YouTube channel generally.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 2, 2023

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Has anyone ever heard of a Judo turnover from turtle called Super Rolling Thunder? I found one video but I'm kind of dense and need a step by step breakdown because I absolutely must hit this move in BJJ, so that some one asks me about it, so that I can say it's called Super Rolling Thunder.

https://youtu.be/16-LQNgTnSY?si=2RboVmn5wFHfFjWm

Looks like a pretty good and unappreciated YouTube channel generally.

I haven't heard it called that (or anything), but if you're just talking about getting torque underneath uke by bring their opposite side skirt across their stomach, then yeah, that works great and it doesn't feel good at all as uke.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I haven't heard it called that (or anything), but if you're just talking about getting torque underneath uke by bring their opposite side skirt across their stomach, then yeah, that works great and it doesn't feel good at all as uke.

So do you, like, block uke with your leg and walk them into that leg to kind of make a stop for them? I dunno, I'm just looking for something more technical than "deadlift uke, turn uke over". And what about that pin she's ending in?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It looks basically like the seatbelt turnover, but with a lapel grip

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Jack B Nimble posted:

So do you, like, block uke with your leg and walk them into that leg to kind of make a stop for them? I dunno, I'm just looking for something more technical than "deadlift uke, turn uke over". And what about that pin she's ending in?

I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing it because it isn't my go-to move, but that sounds right. Like with a lot of turnovers, it's not just a deadlift because uke will help you turn over when it feels like not doing that will hurt them, in this case by wrenching their guts. Not sure at all about the pin, I didn't recognize that.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Anyone watch WNO? Gordon is insufferable, but drat if he isnt taking the sport to a new level.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I don’t have a flo subscription, but if someone has the energy to write up what he did in the match I would love to read it

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pron on VHS posted:

I don’t have a flo subscription, but if someone has the energy to write up what he did in the match I would love to read it

Edit: NM, here's a highlight video

https://www.mmamania.com/2023/10/1/23899216/highlights-mystic-king-gordon-ryan-wins-wno-20-match-via-armbar-just-as-predicted

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 2, 2023

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
His match was boring as hell, I couldnt finish watching. Jay Rod vs Mica on the other hand, was a banger plus its free on youtube.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Well yeah, Jay Rod is a complete maniac

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Eustace posted:

His match was boring as hell, I couldnt finish watching. Jay Rod vs Mica on the other hand, was a banger plus its free on youtube.

Gordon stalled a finish until he got get an Armbar to sell his new DVD. This sport is in a such a weird place right now. Everything is catering to DVD sales. Papa Zenga is ruining the sport.

When I first started out, I found instructionals super helpful. Now, I'm happy to only study a couple of people who's games I try to mirror (Marcelo, Dr Giles, J Rau). I don't think the money in DVDs is going to last. They are already too expensive for a pretty marginal product. Like really, $350 for a Gordon Ryan dvd on Armbars? What is the value there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
BJJ seems to be operating on the F2P mobile game model where a few whales buy overpriced instructional that they never watch to prop up these athletes. Surely this can't be a sustainable model