Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AITAH For Inspiring A Dinner Entertainer to Master Sleight of Hand Tricks by Flipping an Aggressive Customer Through a Table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Barudak posted:

Tokyos finest tableside magic and fine dining concept restaurant.

https://ginza-gioia.owst.jp

Be sure to see their star magician, he looks exactly like what you expect

amazing

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Barudak posted:

This looks dope. Have fun. :)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Whenever someone who's a complete novice brings up the 'I could totally beat a world tennis pro at one round, surely', I'd suggest they try to take one round/stock/whatever off a fighting game expert and see how far that gets them.

Fortunately I've never had to do this because I don't know any idiots of that particular flavour.

Tennis followed by fighting games would make a decent biathlon event

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my wife I'm not going to sacrifice my hobbies just so that I can babysit?

Another trash man who uses "babysit" when he should be saying "being a parent".

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

8one6 posted:

Have a will. Have it double and triple checked. Especially if you know someone is going to be a poo poo stain about everything.

Something I found out today, certainly in the UK anyway, is that should you get married it automatically invalidates any prior Will.

There was a case recently where someone's 90 year old mother got married to someone in secret and even though there was a will giving everything to her children, that secret marriage meant the Will no longer mattered and the husband got everything.

All the daughter got was a £200k legal bill trying to fight it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'll give him a pass on this one - at least according to him, he was specifically asked not to be a parent.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Tenebrais posted:

I'll give him a pass on this one - at least according to him, he was specifically asked not to be a parent.

Yeah, I initially paused over the word "babysit" but in context it does fit. The wife can't have it both ways - either he is a parent and therefore has his own parenting duties, or he is not a parent and therefore she can't compel him to take over her duties.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my wife I'm not going to sacrifice my hobbies just so that I can babysit?

quote:

From the beginning, Jane told me Emily doesn't need a second father figure as she has her dad to fill that role. I was only supposed to be a trusted authority figure in case she ever needed anything. I didn't mind and try my best to respect that boundary.
Yeah, looks pretty cut and dried to me :shrug: He's a partner, or he's a glorified babysitter. You can't have it both ways, lady.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah, looks pretty cut and dried to me :shrug: He's a partner, or he's a glorified babysitter. You can't have it both ways, lady.

And she agreed this without consulting him. I hate to say it but I'm siding with the golfer.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

therattle posted:

And she agreed this without consulting him. I hate to say it but I'm siding with the golfer.

Not just a golfer, a golfer with two other golfer siblings.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for asking my husband to not eat lunch at night?

He currently works in retail making around $40k a year. He has a masters in economics and used to make $200k+ but some bad decisions in life messed that up and he ended up in legal trouble and can no longer work in his former industry.

I love the way that "bad decisions" can be used as a euphemism for "stole / defrauded / embezzled"

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

nonathlon posted:

I love the way that "bad decisions" can be used as a euphemism for "stole / defrauded / embezzled"

Based on his apparent lack of impulse control, I am torn between gambling or drugs as the reason for his "bad decisions."

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

Wait wasn't the point of the magician restaurant even dumber than magic show + food? Something like they somehow set it up so randos "do magic tricks" to impress their dates

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Xun posted:

Wait wasn't the point of the magician restaurant even dumber than magic show + food? Something like they somehow set it up so randos "do magic tricks" to impress their dates

Yes it was an amazing concept, because as we all know women get turned on by magic tricks and love nothing more than boning magicians.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Yes it was an amazing concept, because as we all know women get turned on by magic tricks and love nothing more than boning magicians.

It makes sense, it's what magicians think.

Would you tell them that they're wrong?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of that Gravity Falls joke where a woman says a date that gets interrupted by a rampaging stalker AI causing a Chuck E Cheese to go full Five Nights At Freddy's was still better than the time she dated a magician.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The thing about meeting a magician is socially, if they pull out a deck of cards to impress you with a trick, you must remember that they have been carrying that deck of cards around with them all throughout the party.

Waiting for an excuse to maybe, just maybe elicit a raised eyebrow and a "Oh, that was kinda cool" by them doing something they have practiced for hours and hours alone in their bedrooms.

Very cool, very normal people.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tsietisin posted:

Something I found out today, certainly in the UK anyway, is that should you get married it automatically invalidates any prior Will.

There was a case recently where someone's 90 year old mother got married to someone in secret and even though there was a will giving everything to her children, that secret marriage meant the Will no longer mattered and the husband got everything.

All the daughter got was a £200k legal bill trying to fight it.

He could have executed a deed of variation to revert to the terms of her original will, but I guess she had some pretty enticing parma violets and mothballs squirrelled away.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for telling a girl it's not my fault she gave her kid away?

quote:

I'm 16f. I was found in a crack den at the age of 4, with no record of me anywhere up to that point and it had appeared a though there had been no adults around for days and despite investigators turning up at the property for several days, no one was ever there so my biological parents are presumed dead or incarnated.

I grew up in Foster care and this week I'm going to be adopted by my parents of the last 3 years. Over the last number of years, there's been a movement to reform adoption and social care because kids should be kept with the parents or whatever.

On Friday I telling a group of friends about my upcoming adoption because I'm really excited. Katie, 17, had a baby last year and put it up for adoption. She got annoyed at me for talking about my adoption and said that I should be reunited with my biological family, even if its not my parents, I could go to like a cousin or an aunt or something. She said its because adoption is traumatic and both the bio parents and child will be traumatised and the only people that will benefit are the rich people that buy kids.

I told her it's not my fault she gave her baby away and regrets it but my incubator abandoned me so clearly didn't want me in the first place, whereas my parents paying thousands to adopt me do.

All of my friends think I'm an rear end in a top hat because Katie ran off crying and isn't in school today so I seem like a massive rear end in a top hat and they won't talk to me. AITA?

AITA for interfering with my sister's parenting and handling of her blended family?

quote:

My sister has three kids from her first marriage. Ryder (17M), India (14F) and Gray (13M). My sister lost her first husband 9 years ago and remarried 6 years ago. Her husband came into the marriage with two of his own kids, Tasha (9F) and Nate (7M).

Ryder has always been a creative kid and he does a lot of sketches and drawings. He's really good too. Over the years he has grown so much and become good enough that he makes some money doing art for people online. He has also gifted some family members drawings.

A few weeks ago my sister was in the kids' rooms and noticed that India and Gray had drawings from their brother. Some of them were drawings of the family as though their dad was still alive, others of them as siblings and some of them and their best friend(s). She went into Ryder's room and saw drawings of her late husband as well as more that Ryder drew of them all with his dad around. There were none of her husband or stepkids.

My sister asked India and Gray where those drawings came from and they said Ryder gave them as gifts for Christmas some years and that he normally did that when it was just the three of them. They said they only decorated their rooms with them in the last few months.

My sister then confronted Ryder and asked why he was only gifting to his bio siblings and not his stepsiblings and why he didn't ever draw the blended family. He told her he didn't want to draw the blended family, he wanted to draw his family. She told him anyone looking at what he draws would think his dad was still alive. He pointed out to he adds RIP somewhere on his dad when he draws him. She told him it was still wrong and he should be doing more to include everyone in the drawings. Ryder said he would never draw them and the two fought. She told him he better start drawing everyone "or else".

She came to my house a few days ago and told me all about it and how Ryder had been fighting with her ever since. She said she considered waiting for him to draw and making sure he included his stepdad and stepsiblings. She even considered taking away all his art supplies. Over and over she told me that she wanted to get him to cut the poo poo and embrace the whole family in his art. I couldn't hold back from telling her she couldn't, and shouldn't, tell him what to draw. That his art is personal and he's being discreet when he gives some to his siblings. I also pointed out he has a lot of stuff he draws and she should focus on being proud of how good he is instead of turning his art into a battle. I reminded her that he's 17 and she won't win the battle, she'll simply push him away. This is when she cut me off and told me I had no right to interfere in her parenting and blended family and if I could not be supportive of her then I needed to shut my mouth. She ranted that I showed how little I give a gently caress about the family and accused me of being a bitch.

AITA?

I keep thinking of the cat rescue I used to work with, and how carefully we'd tell people you need to intro new pets to each other. A cat you have had for years is probably not going to be happy about a new cat coming in, and the new cat might not like the place to start either. So acclimation is slow and you stay on top of poo poo. And how many people refused to listen and would want to return a cat because "they keep fighting it's been a week!"

So of course with kids, just force them to live together and make them be nice and LOVE YOUR NEW FAMILY YOUR OLD ONE IS GONE because nothing can go wrong there.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 2, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BrigadierSensible posted:

The thing about meeting a magician is socially, if they pull out a deck of cards to impress you with a trick, you must remember that they have been carrying that deck of cards around with them all throughout the party.

Waiting for an excuse to maybe, just maybe elicit a raised eyebrow and a "Oh, that was kinda cool" by them doing something they have practiced for hours and hours alone in their bedrooms.

Very cool, very normal people.

And what do you bring to the party?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SHOTS SHOTS SHOTSSHOTSSHOTS SHOTS

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm glad you asked. It's right here... behind your ear!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

I used to do balloon animals, and would always bring them when my nieces or nephew had a birthday party. Was always good cheap fun (other than the one time a kid threw a fit because I wouldn't make him a balloon gun. Probably seems dumb, because swords were okay, but in training I was always told no balloon guns. this was like in 2000 so school shootings didn't happen every other week.).

Sometimes I'd bring them to work around the holidays or Halloween so everyone got a cool hat or something.

Card tricks and actual magic tricks take a lot more prep, and usually more people want to know the trick than be amazed by it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah, he says she made the decision without consulting him, probably assuming/hoping he'd drop it because "Golf is stupid".

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

"I'm really great at posting terrible takes in SA threads... hey wait, where are you going?? Come back!! I need to show you this bad post in the aita thread I made, wait!!!"

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hey baby wanna watch me mod two threads?

where are you going, someone will post in one of them eventually

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, he says she made the decision without consulting him, probably assuming/hoping he'd drop it because "Golf is stupid".

Just take the kid golfing? Or is he getting too hammered on the links?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Use the kid’s nose as a tee.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Would you like to see a pink elephant with white ears?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cowslips Warren posted:

I used to do balloon animals, and would always bring them when my nieces or nephew had a birthday party. Was always good cheap fun (other than the one time a kid threw a fit because I wouldn't make him a balloon gun. Probably seems dumb, because swords were okay, but in training I was always told no balloon guns. this was like in 2000 so school shootings didn't happen every other week.).

Sometimes I'd bring them to work around the holidays or Halloween so everyone got a cool hat or something.

Card tricks and actual magic tricks take a lot more prep, and usually more people want to know the trick than be amazed by it.

Thanks for making this pop into my head lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6zzWJKgN-4&t=60s

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

Based on his apparent lack of impulse control, I am torn between gambling or drugs as the reason for his "bad decisions."

Based on the masters in economics I assume he made bad stock investments and kept stealing more money to day-trade so he could recoup his previous losses and fix everything.

So, gambling.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

sullat posted:

Easy solution: bond with your new kid by getting hammered together on the links

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only moral adoption is the one that I caused

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling a girl it's not my fault she gave her kid away?

Removed by mods because "Posts which discuss minors and sexual content or sexualization of minors are strictly prohibited."

Reddit mods continue to be bafflingly stupid.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

sullat posted:

Isn't the kid like 9? They're not going to have a very good time.

More to the point, it seems like the guy (correctly) doesn't actually give a poo poo about the game and treats it as a purely social bonding experience with his siblings and having to watch a kid would interfere with that. He's already willing to compromise by giving up the occasional Saturday (and having the kid tag along would effectively do the same thing), just not every Saturday for months.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Zedd posted:

Agreed, reminds me of the Jackass guy going up against a pro kickboxer. He got his asskicked hard.
Is butterbean okay? :ohdear:

Or lowtax boxing Uwe Boll.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Except he's explicitly not the parent in this situation. He was told at the outset he's not a father figure, he's a generic responsible trusted adult figure. This was at the election of the parents.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

Yeah, one of the things you learn as a sports fan is that even the worst scrub on your favorite team, the guy who is buried deep in the bench, only comes in for garbage time, and keeps getting cut or sent down to the minor league, is still a professional athlete and was almost certainly a superstar who took his high school team to the state finals and is still a legend in his home town. And he can effortlessly beat the crap out of any collection of randos who show up at the Y for a pickup or rec league game.

lots of sports fans have Dunning-Krugered themselves into thinking they could do it. There are people who've watched the NFL for 40 years and have literally no idea what goes into the training combine, for example.

keep punching joe posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Whenever someone who's a complete novice brings up the 'I could totally beat a world tennis pro at one round, surely', I'd suggest they try to take one round/stock/whatever off a fighting game expert and see how far that gets them.

Fortunately I've never had to do this because I don't know any idiots of that particular flavour.

Okay now I would have to be the one to say I could take a stock off a pro fighting game player. I have done so before, I have felt the delicious rage pointed at me for button mashing. Sometimes immense skill is nothing in the face of a thoughtless opponent acting with complete abandon.

Have to think the same might apply to tennis. If you perhaps spun around really really fast, not quite speed of sound, but near it, and zip around the field swinging your tennis spatula you'll hit the ball in an unpredictable way Serena or anyone really couldn't stop.