Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

LiquidFriend posted:

You mean the Sauce Gardner holding call that was a definite hold that was replayed to end the broadcast?

Yep sure that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Yep sure that one
Yeah. That was holding, friend.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

Lots of bad calls against the Chiefs. The safety, horsecollar tackle, Trey Smith hold. I’m happy a makeup call was phoned in.

Not real motivated to update the WR rankings, this group is pretty blah besides maybe Rashee Rice. Mahomes was terrible passing, that 2nd pick was odd he attempted a deep bomb that died after like 50 yards?

Feels like Kansas just got done with a win at Allen Fieldhouse, identifying every bad call that went in their favor, and ignoring all the ones that did not

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The refs sure thought so

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Something I enjoyed tonight that I haven’t enjoyed since 2018 was having a running back that KC could lean on when the offense was in a funk. Kareem hunt fulfilled that role so amazingly his rookie year and Pacheco did it tonight

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Pacheco is legit. Dudes legs never stop moving

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

Pacheco is legit. Dudes legs never stop moving

Someone in the GDT compared him to Ahmad Bradshaw in the way he runs angry all the time, which is dead on

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1708620588133020011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MrLogan posted:

Why do Raiders v Chargers games always have to be heart attack games?

Congrats to the Chargers to on the win.
I came home and saw highlights, catching up just in time to see them live with goal to go. Immediate thought was "feels like a pick is coming" then bam, right on cue. The only surprise was that it wasn't a pick 6, although it probably could've been if Asante didn't take the dive there.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Pron on VHS posted:

Week 3

Justin Watson
MVS
Skyy Moore
Rashee Rice +
Kadarius Toney -
Justyn Ross
Richie James (IR)

Week 4:

Rashee Rice - possession receiver
Justin Watson - high chemistry with Mahomes
MVS - inconsistent deep threat
Kadarius Toney - gadget player
Skyy Moore - can’t get any targets
Justyn Ross - no targets or snaps

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

Lots of bad calls against the Chiefs. The safety, horsecollar tackle, Trey Smith hold. I’m happy a makeup call was phoned in.

Not real motivated to update the WR rankings, this group is pretty blah besides maybe Rashee Rice. Mahomes was terrible passing, that 2nd pick was odd he attempted a deep bomb that died after like 50 yards?
The one that was really egregious to me is that 3rd and 28 run should have been wiped out by off-setting penalties. There was an incredibly obvious offensive holding they didn't call, and an incredibly obvious defensive hands to the face that they couldn't call because they already missed the hold.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

fartknocker posted:

Someone in the GDT compared him to Ahmad Bradshaw in the way he runs angry all the time, which is dead on

Marion Barber III (RIP)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://x.com/RapSheet/status/1708852577369031008?t=D23j2DL9o-t2Y5BS63LAEg&s=33

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Pacheco fan club. Priest Holmes made me a chiefs fan so many years ago and we had a good stretch of RBs after, but has been pretty lame since Hunt. Big Runs are my favorite thing in football and this dude slaps.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Ort posted:

Pacheco fan club. Priest Holmes made me a chiefs fan so many years ago and we had a good stretch of RBs after, but has been pretty lame since Hunt. Big Runs are my favorite thing in football and this dude slaps.

yeah, same actually!

Sucks that it doesn't matter because Bills are going to win the AFC and probably the Super Bowl this year. Watching the Chiefs last night, they don't look good at all. We're done in the playoffs as soon as we hit the Bills. They're on fire.

(it's overreaction monday and a lot can change this season but I'm buckling in for a disappointing season/playoffs like I'm used to from pre-Mahomes)

e: can we also talk about something else? I've already got some major Taylor Swift fatigue. Kinda getting tired of seeing her

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 2, 2023

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
yeah but its not pre-Mahomes. We just watched him win a AFFCCG and SB on an almost broken ankle while Burrow's entire offense falls apart because he's got a tight calf muscle. He will make it happen with this group of scrubs, its not really that different from last year's poo poo wideout corps especially if Rice can grow to replace the role Juju had.

The Bills do look good. Mahomes, Allen, Herbert are all very elite QBs who can field competitive teams without a lot of talent around them

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Finster Dexter posted:

yeah, same actually!

Sucks that it doesn't matter because Bills are going to win the AFC and probably the Super Bowl this year. Watching the Chiefs last night, they don't look good at all. We're done in the playoffs as soon as we hit the Bills. They're on fire.

(it's overreaction monday and a lot can change this season but I'm buckling in for a disappointing season/playoffs like I'm used to from pre-Mahomes)

I mean on the overreaction part you might want to remember how the Bills looked against the Jets. It is possible the Jets have been doomed to put a thorn in your side if you're favored to be a good team. And then look like absolute rear end against everyone else.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I don't think the Chargers are going to win the next two games (Dallas, KC), but the schedule kinda opens up after that and I'm still confident we can get to 10-7 or 11-6

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

e: can we also talk about something else? I've already got some major Taylor Swift fatigue. Kinda getting tired of seeing her

Seeing her at the Chiefs game in red felt pure and good like a pre teen romance novel

Seeing her with a bunch of celebrities dressed in black ready to go out in Manhattan was a lot less interesting. Showing her after a Pacheco touchdown is just silly.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://x.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/1708916572868182161?s=20

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/MattVerderame/status/1708911291195154757

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
It eerily feels like an Alex Smith Chiefs team that is built around the TE/RBs with WR being an afterthought. Not great. Also not great that KC has drafted & developed 2 good receivers in my lifetime, Bowe and Hill. Oh well, Pat will make it work. At least all that man coverage that locks down our bad WRs gives him room to run.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Right before the season started Pat was explaining his grip on the football to someone and then casually mentioned that he's "working on changing it"

Hey Pat, go back to the old grip

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Dude that explains so much. His passes looked terrible on Sunday, I thought he was hiding an injury. See below

https://x.com/Matty_KCSN/status/1708852431776309502?s=20

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm pretty sure it's in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKR5Af8mpT4&t=302s

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The more I think about it, the funnier replacing Carr with Garoppolo is.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Simplex posted:

The more I think about it, the funnier replacing Carr with Garoppolo is.

It's always been hilariously sad. Best case scenario is a side grade so what's the loving point?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Sunshine posted:

It's always been hilariously sad. Best case scenario is a side grade so what's the loving point?

And it's not like Jimmy G is...durable by any means. Carr broke a leg and then stopped being good in my opinion but after he recovered he was still playing all of the games.

Injuries are hard to define, a lot of them are no one's fault. But Jimmy's played one full season (he went to the Super Bowl that year, good!) and has been injured at some point in every other one. Carr is probably a little better anyway but even if you think he's not he's showing up every week at least.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Genuinely curious... is anyone aware of any analytics studies that have tried to quantify "injury prone" as anything other than a label applied after the fact to someone that has had a lot of injuries?

I would expect that it's a real thing and that some players are more skilled than others in absorbing hits (see Tua after Judo vs Tua before) and some players are playing in an uncontrolled manner to try to match pace with more gifted players, but I've never seen an attempt to quantify it.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Seems like it'd be impossible to find a metric for that when the baseline injury rate is so high

A little worse luck than normal basically lands you in the realm of injury prone

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Exhibit A

Chris "chandelier" Chandler

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I never did anything with it and don't remember the full results, but I remember looking into it a few years ago, at least with QBs.

As I remember guys tended to fall pretty nearly in one of two groups. Group 1 (Manning, Rivers, Brady) were guys who basically were always healthy. They would go many seasons without missing a game to injury. If they got hurt it was typically something major that caused them to miss a bunch of time, then they would go right back to long steaks of not missing any games. Sometimes, but not always, they might become more of a group 2 guy towards the tail end of their career.

Group 2 (Roethlisberger, Garoppolo) guys were pretty frequently injured. They occasionally have seasons where they are healthy all year, but more commonly they miss 2-3 games here, a couple of games they're, 4 games here, half a season over here.

The real difficulty is those frequently injured guys tend not to have real long careers, so there aren't a lot of guys around with 15 year careers who were injured all the time.

Someone like Stafford might be an exception to the model. He most easily fits in as a group 2 guy, but did go 8 years without missing a start.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I watched this entire thing because I hate myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUZLP0KIjGI

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
ughhh it's so annoying when the refs don't follow the script and throw a flag for pass interference when clearly on pg. 83 there's no call there. Glad the other refs are on the ball, though, and can remind each other what's supposed to happen this week.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I'd like to play the receiver rating game too

Courtland Sutton: rear end
Jerry Jeudy: rear end
Marvin Mims: green
Brandon Johnson: who?
Tim Patrick: dead

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I'd like to play the receiver rating game too

Courtland Sutton: rear end
Jerry Jeudy: rear end
Marvin Mims: green
Brandon Johnson: who?
Tim Patrick: dead

Mims is responsible for 1.5 turnovers today so maybe downgrade to green/rear end.

That said: what’s the plan for this team? I don’t want to hear Russ, or Payton, or VJ or whoever say “we need to be better.”

Yeah. No poo poo! That’s literally how sports works! You do better than the other team, or you take enough PEDs to make up the difference.

What’s the fuckin’ plan for this team?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

waffle enthusiast posted:

Mims is responsible for 1.5 turnovers today so maybe downgrade to green/rear end.

That said: what’s the plan for this team? I don’t want to hear Russ, or Payton, or VJ or whoever say “we need to be better.”

Yeah. No poo poo! That’s literally how sports works! You do better than the other team, or you take enough PEDs to make up the difference.

What’s the fuckin’ plan for this team?

That thing Elway refused to do 5 years ago.

Rebuild.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Pron on VHS posted:

Week 4:

Rashee Rice - possession receiver
Justin Watson - high chemistry with Mahomes
MVS - inconsistent deep threat
Kadarius Toney - gadget player
Skyy Moore - can’t get any targets
Justyn Ross - no targets or snaps

Week 5:

Rashee Rice - already a better NFL receiver than Mecole Hardman and Skyy Moore
Justin Watson - the only big play WR through 5 weeks
Kadarius Toney
MVS
Justyn Ross - pretty sure he had more targets today than all other games combined, nice first catch too
Skyy Moore

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Rebuild.

So trade more draft picks for dubious returns, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Rebuild.
More or less I think that's why Payton is making 0 changes. Make it painfully obvious to the owners it's time to rebuild.