Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly in terms of 'how the gently caress does anyone have time' stuff, I'm always more amazed at people with children. I have no idea how you have any spare time with one (let alone multiple) kids in addition to work/etc.

my kids both have switch lites of their own so we can all multiplayer minecraft or fortnite or stardew together.

otherwise yeah, I work weekend overnights from home doing IT so a lot of games I end up playing is turn based stuff i can instantly drop to deal with work poo poo and pick back up. Switch is great for that for having an instant sleep mode. civ v is also got a few thousand hours of playtime because of how work-friendly it is.

otherwise i play my (kid appropriate) games around them before bedtime so they can see me doing what i enjoy while they do their thing and be able to answer all their questions. It's the only way im able to get street fighter 6 ranked matches in, plus I figure I get to show my kids how to take losses well because I suck real bad at it still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

sidenote they both play the poo poo out of roblox and the only reason im cool with it is because it reminds me of all the time I spent downloading weirdo WAD packs for doom growing up

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
My nephew played ridiculous amounts of if Roblox and
poo poo maybe I'm just old but that poo poo was TERRIBLE. just butt loving ugly but he was obsessed with Number Goes Up in what I think was a very unhealthy way

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I played Roblox with my ten year old cousin and it controlled like poo poo, looked very ugly, and some kid made fun of my default avatar

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Babies do be sleeping a lot. Problem is how frequently they like to wake up and yell at everyone.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

sidenote they both play the poo poo out of roblox and the only reason im cool with it is because it reminds me of all the time I spent downloading weirdo WAD packs for doom growing up

Depending on how old your kids are you may want to check in on the Roblox stuff. My friend and his wife / kids who are the primary people we hang out with had some issues recently. They have kids who are 1 year older than each of mine. Their 12 year old ended up in a “relationship” with some 14 year old girl who was waaaayy hypersexualized and the 9 year old ratted his brother out because of some of the conversations he overheard. Roblox seems like the Wild West and you never know if it’s actually a 13 year old hypersexualized girl or some straight up pedophile. Kids are not always attuned to what’s going on. The whole platform is flat out banned in my house.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I grew up with a gamer dad, and we spent a lot of time playing games together

You just gotta combine the parenting and gaming

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

otter posted:

Depending on how old your kids are you may want to check in on the Roblox stuff. My friend and his wife / kids who are the primary people we hang out with had some issues recently. They have kids who are 1 year older than each of mine. Their 12 year old ended up in a “relationship” with some 14 year old girl who was waaaayy hypersexualized and the 9 year old ratted his brother out because of some of the conversations he overheard. Roblox seems like the Wild West and you never know if it’s actually a 13 year old hypersexualized girl or some straight up pedophile. Kids are not always attuned to what’s going on. The whole platform is flat out banned in my house.

i hear you for sure, I keep an eye on their messages and stuff but ty for reminding me to check them again.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

My kids are pretty internet savvy. It’s one of the big things covered in scouts these days (for reasons) about online safety, talking to people by text / phone, having parental involvement etc. not to mention bullying. My kids are allowed to play games online with friends from school that they actually know but no internet randos.

I feel like my kids live under far more scrutiny than 90% of their peers and although they get to play a lot we are rather protective of their exposure. I’d rather they play mortal kombat and explode people with a punch than play “throw this guy down a hill and see how many bones you can break while voice chatting with strangers”.
They don’t have social media or YouTube like all their friends do and it will stay that way.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Just don't be like my mom who was still shoutingly insistent that I need to stop talking with people online who (clearly) want to kidnap and rape me, and I'd be like

"mom... I'm 24"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

That's why I appreciate Nintendo's lack of any kind of communication feature in most of their online games; my kids can play whatever and I don't need to worry about it. Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, etc.

Though now my older kid has started wanting to play online with his friends, so we're trying to work out some sort of communication setup between them all. How you could ever expect to play Super Mario Bros 3D World online without voice chat is beyond me.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

48 Hour Boner posted:

Oh yes, in fact it was a thing.

Man that was a great afternoon.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just a quick note, Disgaea 7 runs pretty well on Switch. There's a demo to check out if you want to see for yourself.

Second note, Pikachu is not a cop, he's a private eye which means he has no reason to defend cops and can in fact work against them.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ImpAtom posted:

I mean you might be able to! Two of my friends are parents of a young child and somehow have the time to play multiple games to completion and at least try most major releases while also spending a ton of time with the kid.

My assumption is that they have given up sleep.

I posted this meme in the parenting thread in a/t a few days ago, its widely agreed to be accurate:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Just a quick note, Disgaea 7 runs pretty well on Switch. There's a demo to check out if you want to see for yourself.

Second note, Pikachu is not a cop, he's a private eye which means he has no reason to defend cops and can in fact work against them.

and also you can play games with fictional cops without endorsing the real police. it's okay, I promise

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

and also you can play games with fictional cops without endorsing the real police. it's okay, I promise

This too. Bonus, you'll know they're fictional because they tend to help people and stop criminals.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

External Organs posted:

I posted this meme in the parenting thread in a/t a few days ago, its widely agreed to be accurate:

Holy gently caress.

Accurate is somehow an understatement.

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal

BigDumper posted:

My wife and I are about to have our first kid in the next few months and yeah, I don’t think I’ll be playing too many games once we get there. Shoutout to all the gamer parents out there getting game time in.

Babies sleep a lot, and you usually have to hold them or let them snuggle on you. I found myself "trapped" on the couch a lot, so it was tv/games/phone if i wanted to do anything at nap time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Astral Chain ftw

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Zarlog posted:

Babies sleep a lot, and you usually have to hold them or let them snuggle on you. I found myself "trapped" on the couch a lot, so it was tv/games/phone if i wanted to do anything at nap time.

I spent so much time with my son trapped on the recliner while I played Switch. Separate joycons were a godsend. They let you accommodate the baby while they snooze so you can play games if you like or snooze if you like. It's a magical experience.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Yeah I'm real impressed after how rough Disgaea 6 was on it. I suppose since they were reusing the new engine from 6 they had the time to get it more optimized this time around.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My grandson works at Nintendo and told me the Switch 2 was made specifically to make Rune Factory 5 run well.
Thank U mr nintendo

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

My grandson works at Nintendo and told me the Switch 2 was made specifically to make Rune Factory 5 run well.
Thank U mr nintendo

This is how you know Switch 2 is fake

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

otter posted:

Banned in my my house too. My 10 year old daughter keeps begging to be allowed and I won’t. It’s 100% gambling predatory to say nothing of the sickos that prowl it looking for kids to abuse.

If you have a half hour, this guy breaks down how hosed it is:

https://youtu.be/_gXlauRB1EQ?si=E8OQe1n_030mjAsX

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Switch2 launch title
Yoshi's Cookie 3: Birdo's Cookie

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d buy the hell out of a new Yoshi’s Cookie

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That's why I appreciate Nintendo's lack of any kind of communication feature in most of their online games; my kids can play whatever and I don't need to worry about it. Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, etc.

Though now my older kid has started wanting to play online with his friends, so we're trying to work out some sort of communication setup between them all. How you could ever expect to play Super Mario Bros 3D World online without voice chat is beyond me.

Nintendo has a phone app for that but I have no idea how that works

There's always discord, you could just setup a private server only for them but I don't know if it has any parental controls to stop them from joining other random servers

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

maybealabia posted:

Switch2 launch title
Super Mario World 3: Yoshi's Island 3: Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 4: Jedi Academy 2: Birdo's Cookie

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 2, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Lol

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Super Mario Island: Dark Jedi Knight Yoshi Academy Forces 2 Toad's Cookie Revenge

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

hatty posted:

I’d buy the hell out of a new Yoshi’s Cookie

Yoshi's Cookie 99

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Hatris 99

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Honestly though I would kick everyone's rear end in Dr.Mario99

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All this talk about Yoshi's Cookie. But now one ever demands Wario's Woods 2: Can't See the Forest Through All This Gold!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Fond memories of finally beating lvl 99 in Dr. Mario, only for Nintendo to release an SP version one pill away from doing the same. I earned mine!

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Cartoon Man posted:

Banned in my my house too. My 10 year old daughter keeps begging to be allowed and I won’t. It’s 100% gambling predatory to say nothing of the sickos that prowl it looking for kids to abuse.

If you have a half hour, this guy breaks down how hosed it is:

https://youtu.be/_gXlauRB1EQ?si=E8OQe1n_030mjAsX

Hei, it's Quinn! I love that he's dabbling in journalism other than board games.
There's even a follow up video and, look! It's even worse!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Len posted:

Nintendo has a phone app for that but I have no idea how that works

There's always discord, you could just setup a private server only for them but I don't know if it has any parental controls to stop them from joining other random servers
Could use Google chat/meet/whatever product they're throwing video calls under now.
My daughter plays minecraft with her mom remotely, and I set up a video chat on a tablet for her.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

maybealabia posted:

Well not absolutely everyone has a gaming PC or likes to play games on the Work Screen instead of the Leisure Screen

You don't need much to hit the game's recommended settings considering a mid-level PC I built 7 years ago would've met or exceeded it by a decent amount. :shrug:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I'm looking to sell my switch but may buy a new one at some later point. Is there a way to save all the data to transfer to another switch later?

I see that cloud backup is a thing, but it requires an online membership. If I stop paying for the membership, do my saves get deleted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Astral Chain ftw

I'm playing this now and it whips rear end