Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbsRtuoIDSc

I thought maybe my memories were overtuned about this clip but no, that's the horniest Vince McMahon has ever been.

He looks like his head has been CGI’d onto his body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it was so he could try and screw over the IFBB not understanding that bodybuilding is niche and no one is going to buy a ppv for it even if you add wrestling storylines to the bodybuilding

What's funny to me is WWF was able to get away with pissing off every other main promotion at the time and use it to become the biggest thing around but this absolutely did not work in bodybuilding because there was really only one in the IBFF. Like it was an example of all Vince's tricks not working. :allears:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Look at the striations!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

He looks like his head has been CGI’d onto his body

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNwQKA4BuPQ&t=179s

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Shard posted:

this show was way better than arm wrestling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb1Z_01CTVM

I still want closure for the angle where Tsunami stole the Dragon Star.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Look at the striations!
LOOK AT THAT MASS! HOLY COW!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Oh my God
https://twitter.com/RicFlairNatrBoy/status/1707377387409707478?t=2E635E_GrexhaCSPlKQBZQ&s=19

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

TL posted:

I still want closure for the angle where Tsunami stole the Dragon Star.

I remember once thinking Willie Johnson KEY SYMBOL THE BAM and Billy Blanks were the same person.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I recommend watching the first 8 minutes of the 10/8/1988 episode of WCW for an incredible road warriors promo. Animal talks about his trip to Hawaii.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCb7nkenJvg

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Bam Bam Bigelow and Sir Oliver Humperdink have shown up. Bam Bam is entertaining.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm an unapologetic Sir Oliver Humperdink mark.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

heh heh....dink

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*Bryan Alvarez voice*

HUMP her DINK?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So how long after JCP sold to Ted turner did David crockett stay on as a host?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Alaois posted:

*Bryan Alvarez voice*

HUMP her DINK?

I hardly know her

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

So how long after JCP sold to Ted turner did David crockett stay on as a host?

not much longer, iirc Good Ol JR is arriving soon.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

David does work backstage as a producer for a while, maybe until vince buys it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Suplex Liberace posted:

not much longer, iirc Good Ol JR is arriving soon.

JR has been around since UWF was bought.

I'll be sad to see David go. He isn't the beat, but he does have an infectious excitement for all of it. The man seems to actually love wrestling.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'm an unapologetic Sir Oliver Humperdink mark.

I've been told I've never seen Humperdink when he was super good but I'm content to think it's like watching Jimmy Hart in Memphis with the First Family.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

What the heck is Humperdink's history? I only know him from the Bam Bam era.

Also: Shoving Bam Bam back into the midcard after the Lawrence Taylor match was such a waste. Dude could hang in the main. And it's not like he was even out of place in the New Generation era.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

ChrisBTY posted:

Also: Shoving Bam Bam back into the midcard after the Lawrence Taylor match was such a waste. Dude could hang in the main. And it's not like he was even out of place in the New Generation era.

I want to say, like a lot of things, it was Kliq bullshit but I might be wrong. I vaguely remember hearing that mentioned at some point. And probably some frustration on Bammer’s part since he’d been strung along a bit on both his Fed runs only to get depushed both times.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He definitely had kliq heat if you believe Nash’s story about him doing a racism at a gas station and nearly getting them all shot or whatever it was

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Shard posted:

this show was way better than arm wrestling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb1Z_01CTVM

I love how most of the competitors have names like "The Machine", "Red Dragon", and "Tsunami" and then there's one guy who is just "Yin Yang Man".

History Comes Inside! posted:

He definitely had kliq heat if you believe Nash’s story about him doing a racism at a gas station and nearly getting them all shot or whatever it was

The story apparently didn't involve racism from what I recall but more Bam Bam calling a bunch of gang members pussies leading to Nash, Hall, and Bam Bam having to speed away from the store.

Hoss Corncave fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 3, 2023

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

the Kliq being intolerant of a dude who pops off in public at groups of people who could kick his rear end is a funny one

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hoss Corncave posted:

The story apparently didn't involve racism from what I recall but more Bam Bam calling a bunch of gang members pussies leading to Nash, Hall, and Bam Bam having to speed away from the store.

Nah it did. Nash told it on his podcast but here’s someone’s write up of the story because I can’t listen to any clips right now to confirm it’s the right one I’d be posting.

TLDR

quote:

According to Nash, Bam Bam was annoyed that the man asked about his tattoos and gave an attitude in return. Bam Bam said his head tattoo meant he was a serial killer, so the gang member asked who did he kill? Bigelow responded by saying he killed “spics” which is a derogatory term for Hispanics. The gang member walked out of the store and waited outside. Hall and Nash knew something bad was going to go down so they got their beer and went to the car.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

What the heck is Humperdink's history? I only know him from the Bam Bam era.

I think Bam Bam was the embodiment of "big fish in a big pond" during his WWF and WCW runs. Compared to 99% of people he's an absolute monstrous human being, but you place him next to a Hogan or a Nash and he's more of a goofy looking person--he just loses mystique. ECW was the perfect place for him to really standout and be the alpha hoss that he could be.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the whole point with Bam Bam was for the losing streak to lead to his babyface turn but yeah, they killed what heat he had with it. Losing streak storylines can really be BAD in wrestling, especially if the person is already really only a midcarder.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like the whole point with Bam Bam was for the losing streak to lead to his babyface turn but yeah, they killed what heat he had with it. Losing streak storylines can really be BAD in wrestling, especially if the person is already really only a midcarder.

It was never gonna work, the man doesn't work all that well as a sympathetic babyface. It should've been a winning streak where he becomes too big for the corporation and turns antihero while maintaining his edge. Either way though, he wasn't probably enough of a talker to carry a strong face push.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
bam bam tattooed his head professional wrestling was his calling

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

iamsosmrt posted:

I think Bam Bam was the embodiment of "big fish in a big pond" during his WWF and WCW runs. Compared to 99% of people he's an absolute monstrous human being, but you place him next to a Hogan or a Nash and he's more of a goofy looking person--he just loses mystique. ECW was the perfect place for him to really standout and be the alpha hoss that he could be.

It's true that at the Survivor Series where he was the last man standing, on the other side was a team where King Kong Bundy wasn't even the second biggest guy (that was One Man Gang, the first was Andre).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I should also mention that my best friend of 22 years looked a lot like Bam Bam so I have a soft spot for the bammer.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what was the deal with that logo.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

iamsosmrt posted:

I remember how stunned I was to learn that Scott Hall was like 6'5, until I realized most of the time I remember seeing him he was standing next to Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Cavauro posted:

what was the deal with that logo.

it’s 3 intertwined “b”s, a reference to his shoot love of free samples

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the bottom Bs should have been close together to make the top B more of a B. even though it would have sacrificed the appearance of the four way crossing thing with a spot in the middle. my opin, rest ub oeace

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Even if he wasn't the biggest guy in WWF/WCW he was athletic enough to stand out so he 100% could of been the guy. But than you hear stories of him doing dumb poo poo like counting money in front of Baba and you realize why he never got that shot

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
bam was a real carnie. respect

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

maruhkati posted:

I remember how stunned I was to learn that Scott Hall was like 6'5, until I realized most of the time I remember seeing him he was standing next to Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan.

Yeah, 'deceptively tall' is certainly a thing, like when I finally saw Jake Roberts and DiBiase in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
kevin nash knew he could be a wrestler when he was at a wrestling show and they kept billing wrestlers as 6'10 when he was actually 6'10 and taller than those wrestlers