Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Yeah, you just said it. I’m not trying to buy all the things again if I upgrade. My thought is, I could just buy a machine which uses regular parts and if I upgrade from that, I wouldn’t need to buy new parts.

If you upgrade from that breville you’re spending like $1k anyway. Those extra accessory purchases are a wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you upgrade from that breville you’re spending like $1k anyway. Those extra accessory purchases are a wash.

That’s the point I was trying to make. Like yeah, $100 or $200 is still real money, but if you’re upgrading above a bambino plus, you’re likely going to spend an extra $1k plus anyways.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Well I had a pretty sizeable paycheque and it's been super busy at work so as a treat I just bought a Duomo the Eight. I'll let you know how it is.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Look up the bambino plus on the remanufactured site and save some money. I like mine, it's pretty nice and I've got no regrets. One day I'll upgrade but I'm in no rush.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

How often should i be cleaning my manual grinder with a brush, everyday? I make at most two cups a day, morning then sometimes in afternoon.

also there's Moccamaster model on sale if anyone is looking.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOCCAMASTER-KBG-10-Cup-Polished-Silver-Drip-Coffee-Maker-59616/310804663

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably don't need to at all. If you're using it often then the old beans should naturally be coming out.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
I started getting really low steam pressure on my ECM Mechanika Slim. I've ruled out the nozzle so my next step is to check for blockages in the steam arm. I've tried a few things to unscrew the steam arm nut while not destroying the chrome finish. 1. wrapping the nut in duct tape but the wrench just shredded it 2. surrounding the wrench arms in a towel but I couldn't get a good enough grip. I can't tell if my adjustable wrench just isn't up to the task or if there's some other technique I should try before just bringing it in for service.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Any blockage is unlikely to be in the arm itself, it'd be at a constriction point where two parts connect, like where the pipe from the boiler meets the steam valve. Also that blockage is most likely to be scale and cleaning it out would be just treating the symptom, not the actual problem. Your local tech would probably appreciate it if you bring the machine to them unmolested.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

bergeoisie posted:

I've tried a few things to unscrew the steam arm nut while not destroying the chrome finish. 1. wrapping the nut in duct tape but the wrench just shredded it 2. surrounding the wrench arms in a towel but I couldn't get a good enough grip. I can't tell if my adjustable wrench just isn't up to the task or if there's some other technique I should try before just bringing it in for service.

The best thing I found was a few layers of folded paper towel. I managed to ruin a good t-shirt trying to use that, the wrench just made holes in it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bergeoisie posted:

I started getting really low steam pressure on my ECM Mechanika Slim. I've ruled out the nozzle so my next step is to check for blockages in the steam arm. I've tried a few things to unscrew the steam arm nut while not destroying the chrome finish. 1. wrapping the nut in duct tape but the wrench just shredded it 2. surrounding the wrench arms in a towel but I couldn't get a good enough grip. I can't tell if my adjustable wrench just isn't up to the task or if there's some other technique I should try before just bringing it in for service.

Buy a pair of soft jaw pliers. You will go crazy trying to hack it on your $1700 espresso machine.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
That Moccamaster sure is tempting.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I got new beans from Black & White called ‘Grape Soda’ and it really does smell like the platonic ideal of grape soda and taste like delicious grape soda coffee. drat I love good beans

mistermojo fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 28, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eight Ounce Coffee sent me the wrong hario filters, refunded the cost of the filters and gave me a promo code to buy the right filters for free. Good people there.

Duomo the Eight arrived, haven't used it yet but will this afternoon. Set up the needle depth and found a spot for it on the coffee bar. It definitely feels well made and the base part feels better than I was expecting for rubberized plastic.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i don’t think I could ever go back to an electric grinder. being able to weigh the coffee directly into the grinder and then go at it is such a great workflow

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

ulvir posted:

i don’t think I could ever go back to an electric grinder. being able to weigh the coffee directly into the grinder and then go at it is such a great workflow

can't relate to this at all, I'll die before I hand grind ever again

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

obi_ant posted:

Yeah, you just said it. I’m not trying to buy all the things again if I upgrade. My thought is, I could just buy a machine which uses regular parts and if I upgrade from that, I wouldn’t need to buy new parts.

If you don't want to waste money on accessories you can't bring with you when you upgrade, don't buy them in the first place. A WDT tool is basket-size-agnostic and the included portafilter, baskets and tamper are perfectly adequate. The only one you maybe might miss is a dosing ring, and you can get those very cheap from aliexpress now.

ulvir posted:

diametrically opposed opinion over here

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pre-weigh single doses at a time into glass jars, then use any 0 retention grinder, then smile

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I can’t hear you over all the counter space and lack of grinder noise :smugdog:

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Hey if anyone is in the market for a Silvia, I'm finally letting go of mine. V1 machine with the V3 steam wand/knob, Auber PID kit w/pre-infusion, newest version of the boiler w/insulating wrap, double and bottomless portafilters included. Seattle area, I'd prefer not to ship it. DM if interested.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sweeper posted:

can't relate to this at all, I'll die before I hand grind ever again

:agreed:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

does the new green colour on the packaging for hario 02 V60-papers mean anything, or is it just a sudden redesign?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it's just packaging. My 01 filters have the same change.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
If anyone is in the market for a Vario W with steel burrs (and the ceramic burrs which were never used) please let me know.

It is a refurbished model I purchased directly from Baratza back in April of 2020. As far as being a refurbished model nothing ever looked out of place, so maybe I just got a return.

Baratza installed the steel burrs for me when I purchased the set, and the ceramic burrs have been sitting in a baggie in my cabinet.

I need to put it up for sale somewhere since I've concluded that the Lagom P64 I've purchased can do both espresso and pour over.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

MetaJew posted:

If anyone is in the market for a Vario W with steel burrs (and the ceramic burrs which were never used) please let me know.

It is a refurbished model I purchased directly from Baratza back in April of 2020. As far as being a refurbished model nothing ever looked out of place, so maybe I just got a return.

Baratza installed the steel burrs for me when I purchased the set, and the ceramic burrs have been sitting in a baggie in my cabinet.

I need to put it up for sale somewhere since I've concluded that the Lagom P64 I've purchased can do both espresso and pour over.

What're you asking for it?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

mistermojo posted:

I got new beans from Black & White called ‘Grape Soda’ and it really does smell like the platonic ideal of grape soda and taste like delicious grape soda coffee. drat I love good beans

this is the weirdest coffee I’ve had

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Looking at the OP, I'd say the Saeco Aroma is about what I want at a reasonable price. However, the OP is from 2011 and it doesn't seem to be manufactured anymore.

Is there a modern equivalent?

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

So, after doing a ton of research for my espresso grinder, I decided on the BPlus Apollo. It's gaudy, heavy, apparently really good at what it does due to the quality parts and build, and I loved it at first sight. They also had 2 of the special edition colors left and I really loved the olive green, so after some personal debate and late nights of research, I pulled the trigger.

Skip forward a week after ordering it and it arrives a couple days before my espresso machine is scheduled to get here. I figure I'll break it in with a pourover grind and see how it does and feels. I wasn't expecting much since the last hand grinder I had was a Hario Mini-Slim which was...fine, but was a workout and a half for two cups of coffee and took ages to get through. It was also a very basic grinder which was fine for the time, but I upgraded when I could afford to with a Virtuoso and was pleased to be done with the manual grinding.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know a hand grinder could feel this good. It chewed through 45g of beans in less than a minute and when I looked at the grind, it was the most uniform consistency I've ever seen. I've never used a fancy grinder, so this was a first for me and it blew my mind.

Ultimately, it was a little too finely ground (which is good to know for when I dial it in for my La Pavoni) so it over extracted and channeled in the pourover a bit, but drat, I was afraid I had made an expensive mistake going with such an expensive hand grinder until the first time I used the thing.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Microcline posted:

Looking at the OP, I'd say the Saeco Aroma is about what I want at a reasonable price. However, the OP is from 2011 and it doesn't seem to be manufactured anymore.

If you're near me, you can have mine.

The saeco aroma at the time was more or less a gaggia classic with a different skin.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What're you asking for it?

I need to see if I kept the original box and packaging to make it easier to ship.

I paid $500 shipped from Baratza. Looking for $400 shipped to the lower 48 states. Including both burr sets, of course.

I'll ship to Canada or elsewhere if that made sense, but I'd probably ask a little more to cover shipping costs. I'm located in central TX.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I didn't have time to have a second cup of coffee at home this morning so I figured I'd have one in the office and when I got here I didn't have enough of any one type to make 15g of beans so my cup is about 2g my own roast, 9g kirklands/starbucks, 4g of the blackest daz bog there is , which I found about 10g of super coarsely ground in a bag on top of the break room fridge, so I just tossed it all in my hand grinder for a pourover and I kind of feel like a junkie using a found needle. It's an acceptable cup.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A little half and half can make any sludge sort of acceptable

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Microcline posted:

The OP badly needs an update; the last semi-auto machine Saeco produced was the Via Venezia and that was around ten years ago I believe. If you want to buy new (which I usually recommend) the current best entry-level machine is the Delonghi EC680/685 ($250-350), followed by the Gaggia Classic ($450-500) and the Rancilio Silvia ($850 and up). These are all well-built machines that will also be easy to find parts and service for (in the US anyway). You'll see the Breville brand tossed around a lot but the build quality on them is far below most of the Italian brands, not to mention they're impossible to get repaired by anyone but the manufacturer. Personally I'd avoid them.

gwrtheyrn posted:

The saeco aroma at the time was more or less a gaggia classic with a different skin.
There are a number of super-auto Saeco and Gaggia machines that are nearly identical inside, but the Aroma and the Classic have nothing in common other than both being home espresso machines.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

bizwank posted:

There are a number of super-auto Saeco and Gaggia machines that are nearly identical inside, but the Aroma and the Classic have nothing in common other than both being home espresso machines.

Guess I'm remembering some "fact" that was actually just speculation from over a decade ago. Either way I wouldn't recommend one since there's a reason I don't use it much

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Fun fact: the Kitchenaid Pro Line machine is actually 1.5 Gaggia Classics stuffed in a body that looks like a badly manicured hedge. Surprisingly decent build quality, but that tends to happen when brands don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

bizwank posted:

The OP badly needs an update; the last semi-auto machine Saeco produced was the Via Venezia and that was around ten years ago I believe. If you want to buy new (which I usually recommend) the current best entry-level machine is the Delonghi EC680/685 ($250-350), followed by the Gaggia Classic ($450-500) and the Rancilio Silvia ($850 and up). These are all well-built machines that will also be easy to find parts and service for (in the US anyway). You'll see the Breville brand tossed around a lot but the build quality on them is far below most of the Italian brands, not to mention they're impossible to get repaired by anyone but the manufacturer. Personally I'd avoid them.

Thanks. The Delonghi EC680 looks like the kind of entry-level machine I want, and at a reasonable price ($200)

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I been doin cowboy coffee on a fire and it fuckin slaps. One of the old enamelware pots with the spring handle

Boil about half a pot of water and take it off the fire

Stir in your coffee. My pot makes 36 cups so 2 cups of coffee is medium strength. Itll boil again when you stir it. Which is why your pot is half full

About five minutes after you stir in the coffee top the pot up with cold water. This stops the brewing and (usually) settles the grounds.

Makes the cheapest coffee in the store so good I’m up posting at midnight

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Rationale posted:

I been doin cowboy coffee on a fire and it fuckin slaps. One of the old enamelware pots with the spring handle

Boil about half a pot of water and take it off the fire

Stir in your coffee. My pot makes 36 cups so 2 cups of coffee is medium strength. Itll boil again when you stir it. Which is why your pot is half full

About five minutes after you stir in the coffee top the pot up with cold water. This stops the brewing and (usually) settles the grounds.

Makes the cheapest coffee in the store so good I’m up posting at midnight

Huh. I'm usually the official camp coffee brewer but find making enough for the whole site takes a couple passes in the French press. If you make a huge batch, can you just dole it out by pouring from the pot or does that stir the grounds up a lot? I might need to try this instead, next time.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Microcline posted:

Thanks. The Delonghi EC680 looks like the kind of entry-level machine I want, and at a reasonable price ($200)

I've got one - fair warning, it uses a 51mm portafilter, so accessories are largely incompatible with nicer machines. Also, I don't remember the details exactly but either the pressure, heat, or both aren't up to making great espresso. The steam wand kinda sucks too.

However, if you put a bit of effort into it and aren't planning on upgrading soon, you can get decent espresso/milk drinks and it's pretty much impossible to beat the value proposition without keeping an eagle eye on eBay/refurbs

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

So, it took a couple days and a trip down to the local coffee roaster and bar to get all the data points I needed, but after an increasingly worried feeling that I'd hosed up and would never figure it out, I pulled my first truly impressive shot through the La Pavoni. The cup was full bodied, fairly clean, and not astringent with a nice crema. It was very enjoyable and probably better than any espresso shot I've had in recent memory. I'm so happy with the results and took enough notes that I hope will help me recreate the results. I'm still vibrating from the amount of coffee I've tasted in the last few days, but no one said success would be easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

I've got one - fair warning, it uses a 51mm portafilter, so accessories are largely incompatible with nicer machines. Also, I don't remember the details exactly but either the pressure, heat, or both aren't up to making great espresso. The steam wand kinda sucks too.
That model has a thermoblock so it's quite a bit more stable temperature-wise than any entry-level machine with a traditional boiler; most of the ones I see hover in the high 190s for the full duration of the shot, assuming they've been regularly descaled. They've got the same 15 bar vibratory pump that's in every other home machine on the US market so any pressure issues are probably going to be a problem with your coffee or puck prep, or a sign of a machine that's in need of some maintenance or otherwise malfunctioning in some way. If you want a more traditional steam wand there's also the EC885M, for roughly the same price. There just really isn't a better starter machine on the (US) market, especially for the money.