Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Not that I know anything about HS2 (it was never coming to Scotland) but it basically became a big embezzlement scheme after the tories took over right?

Massive rising costs to people/businesses/landowners/homeowners (that went unscrutinised?) followed by the project being shelved (because of rising costs) and it's planned budget being redistributed to "other projects" right before the corrupt government get kicked out.

Edit:wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple of million spunked on the 118 lego train sets for some Tories basement hobby.

https://www.brickeconomy.com/set/118-3/lego-sears-motorized-freight-or-passenger-train

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1708927006740468152

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Endjinneer posted:

That fudge helped me through lockdown.

:rip:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm eating supermarket fudge now and it's poo poo, it's more tablet than fudge. That lad knew how to make a batch.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Guavanaut posted:

It's not illegal and nobody can stop you.

i don't want to get better, i want to get worse

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/davidrkadler/status/1708849736705310896?t=dkmkRcXNMlHYbUefSIV1DQ&s=19

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Just Another Lurker posted:

They went downhill after Sega bought them, Medieval II: Total War was their last good game.... back in 2006 ffs. :corsair:

shogun 2 was fine

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Klepsie posted:

Bobbing up again with the latest on Camrath.

His funeral is this Saturday, 7 October.

His wife has asked, quote, "Could you ask the goons if they'd do some more bluescreen H fudge meme photos please?"

Consider yourselves asked. Your very finest for this fine man.

While posting, I found this a few days ago; a poem I wrote for him two years ago. I wasn't originally going to put this in my imminent poetry collection, but now, it's going to be the last one.

RIDING THE ZEITGEIST SINCE 2003

Today it pleased me, friend, to note
Our friendship's reached the age to vote,
Can buy a whiskey or a beer,
For it has reached its eighteenth year.
It soon, absent unomened strife,
Will have been with you half your life.
Online, on stage, on boats, in cars
On Boston streets, in hotel bars,
We've done such deeds and seen such things,
Have lived like paupers and like kings.
I think it fit that I confide
It's been a wild and joyous ride
With miles and years before its end.
Here's to the next eighteen, my friend.

ENVOI

How on this friendship have I lucked?
Simple: because we've never hosed.

I wasn't part of the fudge memes last time, but thank you for sharing this. Too soon, far too soon.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
In a bar with Darren Mott and had a wee chat with him in the smoking area, any dirt/things we’d bring up to him? Go hog wild

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 2, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
who is he?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1708913451710484494

:allears:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Tory whip of the lords and former executive something or other of the Tory party or something

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

oh you want to make him uncomfortable? I misunderstood i think

Lol I dunno just point at like anything and look exasperated

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s all just so loving painful to watch. A bunch of cunts who know they’re hosed so are just doubling down on cuntishness

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1708926975534919769

"I changed my phone and forgot to back up the data"... :allears:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

it fell in the sea

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Truss back, Charlie snuffs it, maximum bants

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
If anyone fancies writing an easy ‘points to bring up’ thing for me then go wild as I’m quite drunk and surrounded by tories and as much as I could just gesture around these people are professional politicians and are quite good at leaving me going uhhhhhhh by being affable.

Really thread I’ll be your cannon just give me cannon balls

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Jakabite posted:

If anyone fancies writing an easy ‘points to bring up’ thing for me then go wild as I’m quite drunk and surrounded by tories and as much as I could just gesture around these people are professional politicians and are quite good at leaving me going uhhhhhhh by being affable.

Is 'gently caress off you fascist prick' unacceptable?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bel Shazar posted:

Is 'gently caress off you fascist prick' unacceptable?

No but that’s my closer, I’d like to make him squirm first. They’re immune to that, it’s expected

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Jakabite posted:

No but that’s my closer, I’d like to make him squirm first. They’re immune to that, it’s expected

Ahh. Then probably something along the lines of laughing at them while telling them that they're going to die alone and hated by their grandkids.

E: merciless ridicule is the only way

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

Ask when they gave up on running a country in favour of bullshit culture wars.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bel Shazar posted:

Ahh. Then probably something along the lines of laughing at them while telling them that they're going to die alone and hated by their grandkids.

They probably won’t though because their grandkids will almost certainly grow up safely insulated in the same evil Tory oval office culture

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

Not that I know anything about HS2 (it was never coming to Scotland) but it basically became a big embezzlement scheme after the tories took over right?

No. More like, a Tory-run Treasury absolutely making GBS threads themselves at the idea of investing billions over decades, when they'd rather spend the money on tax cuts for their core voters now.

Simple example: the original plan for Euston was eleven platforms, covering the full HS2 network as first planned. Construction starts, and the Treasury then say 'no, ten platforms would be cheaper, we're only paying for ten'. So, the plans get redrawn with ten platforms instead of eleven: and of course because spades are already in the ground it ends up costing more to rework everything, with a worse outcome than if they'd stuck with the original plan to begin with. Like changing your mind halfway through remodelling your kitchen.

Next, the idea was to build something over the top of Euston, like an office block or flats or something, the idea being that it'd partly pay for the station underneath. Fair enough, but now the plans needed redrawing again because that meant the foundations needed to be bigger and stronger, to bear the extra mass on top of the station. The Treasury said no, we're not paying for that - well, who is then? - newsflash: construction on Euston has been 'paused'.

The absolutely mad thing is, good money was spent putting the route underground through Tory heartlands, to placate the landed gentry who didn't want this Puffing Billy nonsense scaring the horses, while now scrapping the idea of building it to places that want it, would use it, and that might even end up voting for them as a result. It takes a lot of work to turn a brand-new railway into a white elephant, and, well, they're trying their very hardest.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The 'middle class' doesn't really exist and is just another word for working class people paid well enough to convince themselves they're somehow better than their peers. All the bullshit cultural accoutrements that go with it just serve to reinforce this imaginary distinction and discourage solidarity. Ofc, this is all very much working as intended and serves an important function in maintaining capitalism.

E: oops, didn't refresh

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

They probably won’t though because their grandkids will almost certainly grow up safely insulated in the same evil Tory oval office culture

The truth isn't as relevant here. Just keep hammering on the ridicule.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ask him if he's ever haunted by the ghosts of his share of the dead people he's helped to socially murder

e: All of the right wing press is stitching Sunak up in advance of his speech tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/TomEPPayne/status/1708943773080666209

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 2, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

it seems kind of quaint that a prime minister is getting done in by a bit of railway.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

Ask him if he's ever haunted by the ghosts of his share of the dead people he's helped to socially murder

e: All of the right wing press is stitching Sunak up in advance of his speech tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/TomEPPayne/status/1708943773080666209

Lol. The great Tory Levelling Up Project, intended to be the core of the Northern Powerhouse...won't go north of Birmingham but cancelling the bit to the North will pay for ensuring that it does go into central London.

Literally like they're deliberately making the "the North never gets infrastructure/it's only to benefit London commuters" complaints a reality. Like that idea of repurposing defunct Pacers as temporary school buildings.

And yeah, the Treasury doesn't seem to realise that when it comes to engineering and infrastructure (as with much else), after a certain point in the process trying to change it to make it cheaper is really counterproductive. And once the 'start up costs' to a big project have been locked in, lopping bits off just makes the per-mile cost of the remaining bits higher...making it seem even worse value for money and encouraging more interference, rationalisation, 'pausing' and cost-cutting.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Claire Caralho

*looks her up* ffs why does every UK Goan politician have to be the cuntiest person alive these days

bring back Keith Vaz and his gay hookups over this shithead and cruella

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

When the worst person makes the best point:

https://twitter.com/TiceRichard/status/1708957622609555513

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
We've been getting a lot of reports of bad posts lately. Would this thread like a second IK to help Guavanaut?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Koos Group posted:

We've been getting a lot of reports of bad posts lately. Would this thread like a second IK to help Guavanaut?

Guav - I think this should be your decision as you have to deal with it all & not sure how much time it takes you!
The rest of us can scroll on by or 'ignore'.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The thread would be ok if people simply stopped replying to those two fuckwits and put them on block, but I'm also ok with another IK if it's someone the thread is ok with

But a gentle reminder that we're on the hell timeline, and our new IK is most likely going to be NJAN99

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Koos Group posted:

It would make more sense to migrate the thread out of D&D since apparently none of the standard D&D rules apply.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Jakabite posted:

The only thing Tory cunts are useful for is target practice.

Also, you have to call them Tory cunts as that way you get to call them cunts twice.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

put me in coach

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

put me in coach

Do it :yeshaha:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Rugz posted:

It would make more sense to migrate the thread out of D&D since apparently none of the standard D&D rules apply.

better idea, migrate you out of the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Rugz posted:

It is true that standard D&D rules do not apply and thread moderation is according to the judgement of the IK(s). I would certainly be willing to have an additional EngPol hangout thread on another part of the forums while making the one in D&D more rigorous if there were interest in this.