Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

SlapActionJackson posted:

When that happened to Mrs Jackson's 335 it was the coolant vapor hardline from the upper radiator pipe to the expansion tank. $50 and 10 minutes to swap.

I'm sorry Ms Jackson, your rad needs new seeeeaaals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm sorry Ms Jackson, your rad needs new seeeeaaals

Never meant to make your car not drive, I apologize a million times.

When that happened to Mrs Jackson's 335 it was the coolant vapor hardline from the upper radiator pipe to the expansion tank. $50 and 10 minutes to swap.

Cool. I'll look for that when I get the cover off tomorrow to inspect everything. Would be nice to not have to replace everything already.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
McDonald's straw. I've been meaning to replace mine with rubber and brake line. Mine was drip leaking the whole time I worked on the A/C the past two nights. Good luck on the fix, M235i driver!

I finished my A/C compressor swap. Overally, this is a 6/10 difficulty job, imo. I spliced in my new (old) wiring harness, zip tied it all out of the way, and finished bolting everything up. I think the whole job is like, 9 (?) bolts, tbh. I pulled a vacuum for 30 minutes and called it good. I recharged the system with some OTS O'reilly r-134a.

n52 remains the best 52 and is v DIY friendly.

Question: looking up into the various radiators and coolers from below, I could see bugs and stuff crammed in up above. What is the best thing to spray in there to break that stuff down and clean it out? I'll try to like, us a dowel to scrape a bunch off before I put the underbody panel back on, but I'm curious about getting bug and road debris off all of the radiators.

Simple green and just spray like a mofo?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Bug and tar remover

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.
We have a winner, folks!

Incredible

boop.

Replacement should be here thursday.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
bless up for getting off with an easy one

Bug and tar remover

Hell yeah. Thanks.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone have the struts die for their trunk / hatchback?

Loaded my doggos into the wagon Friday, dropped them off at daycare. Picked them up and brought them home Monday. Trunk felt as good as ever.

Dropped the car off for some more suspension work at the mechanic yesterday, picked it up today and they said the trunk struts need replacing. Just loaded the dogs in and yea, absolutely zero support for the back overnight...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Not on a BMW but the various wagon/hatch things my family has owned typically need new ones about once a decade. It's a relatively inexpensive gas strut. Eventually the magic gas disappears.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

My 2008 E82 definitely needs new trunk struts, but I bought it that way.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Eventually the magic gas disappears.

Yea I know, it's just one of those things where it was like such a sudden thing and while not in my care that makes me distrustful of mechanics. I mean I do trust this shop, been going there for years and they've done right by me before. Oh well.

The E91 developed a really bad clunking knocking noise, any little bump could upset the rear - highways often felt sketchy as you hit bumps between bridges and whatever. Shop replaced the strut mounts this time and dang it feels so good to have it back in working order now. I know it's just a basic rear end 3 series but I really love this thing 🙂

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
As one should. E91 is the best 91 there is.

Perfect number of Es, perfect number of 91s.

Simple as.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Elite Taco posted:

As one should. E91 is the best 91 there is.

Perfect number of Es, perfect number of 91s.

Simple as.

:hmmyes:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
When I had three E30s it was kinda like having an E90 but now that I have two it’s more like an E60

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Generally, having some Es is best. I'd be happy to wrangle between 30 and 91 Es at any given time.

The number of track e46s at Hallett last weekend has me dreaming of doing an e46 b48 swap. My wife would prefer for our kids to go to college, however...

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
They could learn to be mechanics for old German cars!

My 2yo pats the F30 and says "Black car" when we come home from daycare. I ask her if she likes it, and the response every time is "My car". So, I guess she's called dibs on the stick shift?

She's also the one who giggles if I break the back end loose on turns, my son just calls out "Too fast!"

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'm becoming idly curious if I can make a decent income in retirement as a shade tree german car fixer. I think there will be plenty of guys willing to pay parts + a mortgage payment to keep their P cars on the road and there will definitely be n52s still roaming around.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Alarbus posted:

They could learn to be mechanics for old German cars!

My 2yo pats the F30 and says "Black car" when we come home from daycare. I ask her if she likes it, and the response every time is "My car". So, I guess she's called dibs on the stick shift?

She's also the one who giggles if I break the back end loose on turns, my son just calls out "Too fast!"

Whenever I drop the hammer:

One daughter giggles and yells "Faster faster Dad!"

The other daughter yells, "Dad what is the speed limit here?!?"

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
My son watches my speed like a hawk in the e91 and couldn't care less in the 986 v0v

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I took the E91 to BMW today in for an alignment. It had chewed off the inside corner of the driver's front down to the cords but the rest of the tire was fine.

This is the report that I was given back.

I asked why everything wasn't within tolerance and the tech came out and said that was as good as he could get it because I put H&R sport springs and Bilstein's on it..

Should I be calling bullshit on this or is this a real thing? The car rides about where a normal sport pack car would be.

At any rate, I get to buy a new set of tires. I'm looking at Pilot Sport All Season 4's as I deal with cold and some mild wintry weather.

The E36 is disable while I put a whole bin of parts on it.

Made some space.

Into position.

First victim of the rattle scalpel is the cat back. I was prepared for it to be heavy but even then it feels like it is entirely made out of brake rotors. WTF BMW.

New tires

Bin of parts

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 30, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I don’t normally go to a dealer for alignment, but with hosed up tires on it will affect the spec. I can heartily recommend PS4 AS, I am in the Seattle area and they have been awesome absolutely would buy again.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah PS4 A/S are great tires if you’re in an area that gets cool but has little snow.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The last 2 winters in my region have been so mild I could probably do all seasons, but I stick to the PS4 summers and then will get something separate for the winter.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I should probably start looking at tires for the 330i. The winters I have will get me through the season I think, but I'll have to figure out what I want on the non-winter set. I'd normally just go with PS4S or whatever the next version is but mileage and longevity are a big thing with how many miles I put on the car so I'll go with an all season of some sort.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/10/01/bmw-charging-may-break-iphone-15-nfc-chip/

Not an iOS user, and unclear how widespread of a problem -- if even genuinely one at all -- but thought this was interesting:

quote:

Over the past week, some BMW owners have complained that their iPhone 15's NFC chip no longer works after charging the device with their vehicle's wireless charging pad, according to comments shared on the MacRumors Forums and X, formerly known as Twitter. Affected customers say the iPhone goes into a data recovery mode with a white screen, and the NFC chip is no longer functional after the device reboots.

It's unclear what the specific cause of the issue is, how many customers are affected, and which BMW models are affected.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Yet another reason to have some Es in your life.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My one overpriced status symbol ruined my other overpriced status symbol!!!

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

fknlo posted:

I should probably start looking at tires for the 330i. The winters I have will get me through the season I think, but I'll have to figure out what I want on the non-winter set. I'd normally just go with PS4S or whatever the next version is but mileage and longevity are a big thing with how many miles I put on the car so I'll go with an all season of some sort.

Cross climate 2 has a 60k rating.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The Cross Climate 2s are more aggressive though. If you want something winter specific but not a soft actual winter/snow like a Blizzak, they're fine. We put them on the wife's GLC300, and she doesn't notice, but I find them louder and less pleasant than the A/S 3s on the 335, but I'd probably still buy the CC2 over the Pirelli crap that comes on every cpo car.

I can't wait to burn through these. I thought about just putting the A/S 3 wheels on the 440, but uh, apparently those actual wheels are hammered. At that rate, I might just get a set of new wheels for summers for this car and leave the 335 alone.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ThirstyBuck posted:

Cross climate 2 has a 60k rating.

Yeah, I have looked at those. They seem like a great all around tire, I just worry about their actual winter performance on a RWD car. I'm in Missouri so we may or may not get decent snow with some ice thrown in. Probably a good question for the tire thread.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fknlo posted:

Yeah, I have looked at those. They seem like a great all around tire, I just worry about their actual winter performance on a RWD car. I'm in Missouri so we may or may not get decent snow with some ice thrown in. Probably a good question for the tire thread.

They're perfectly fine as long as you don't do stupid stuff. I don't think Missouri is sufficiently cold and wintry to warrant a dedicated snow tire. The CC2 is quite popular in like southern New England where it snows a bit but not all that much, and winters tend to be... inconsistent.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I have CC2's on my 128i in Colorado. They did great all through last winter, in the wet and in deep snow. A little slippery off the line when it's that 2 day old slushy icy crud but no trouble. Definitely worth it (for me) vs keeping a second set around.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

CC2s own bones where I'm at the in PNW. Good enough in all-around wintry conditions, good enough to get up skiing and not be worried about getting home.

If it's really bad enough I simply just stay home. The icy hills and other drivers don't care what you drive, the only winning move is not to play. And the highways to the ski areas will be closed anyway. But that's only a few days a year here, if that.

If you're still going to swamp summers and winters, then maybe still go with a real winter tire, but for a true four season tire the CC2s are pretty hard to beat.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 2, 2023

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

TheBacon posted:

I don’t normally go to a dealer for alignment, but with hosed up tires on it will affect the spec. I can heartily recommend PS4 AS, I am in the Seattle area and they have been awesome absolutely would buy again.

I normally avoid the dealer at all costs with an out of warranty BMW. In this case the price was the same as the indy shops and I assumed that they would be (more?) competent or at least more familiar with setting the alignment on a 3 series.

I'll take my sheet to the fancy tuning shop next week when I have the alignment done on the E36 and get a 2nd opinion.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Well, there's definitely a smallish coolant leak on the 330i. I'll have to see if I can spot where it's coming from. Nothing visible on the ground but it's probably small enough to not make it past the underbody panels. Most likely suspects are gonna be the water pump or oil filter housing.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

fknlo posted:

Well, there's definitely a smallish coolant leak on the 330i. I'll have to see if I can spot where it's coming from. Nothing visible on the ground but it's probably small enough to not make it past the underbody panels. Most likely suspects are gonna be the water pump or oil filter housing.

Did you check the reservoir cap? My 440 went low but there was no leak, and the cap was crusty. $20 for a new cap and no more problems.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alarbus posted:

Did you check the reservoir cap? My 440 went low but there was no leak, and the cap was crusty. $20 for a new cap and no more problems.

Yeah, the reservoir cap is pretty much crust free. I added coolant around 6k miles ago after my last oil change so it's something I've been watching for. I've seen a couple people say that coolant evaporation through the cap is a known thing on the B series engines but that's just a couple random posts I've seen.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 4, 2023

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Huh. Now that you mention it with the oil change, someone, either the dealer or the performance shop I was at, commented that BMW basically tops the coolant off every service appointment, so that might check out if it needs a smidge every 6-8k miles.

I ordered two caps thinking I'd do the N55 at the same time, but then I took it in for control arms. I should check the box on the workbench and see if I swapped it.

In fact, here's the coolant fill on a 29k B58 that lived in NJ and PA. Ew. I'll have to check it soon with a new cap and 10k more miles.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's what my B58 coolant fill looks like and I've had to put in ~3/4 of a gallon in the last 20k miles (currently around 75k miles)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think my N55 also evaporates through the cap. Because every few months it will pop up with coolant low and then I fill it up a bit and it's good. If there were an actual leak, I would think it would happen faster than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
God I love bmw ownership. So this might just be normal coolant loss. I’m honestly just paranoid about the oil filter housing which is why I’ve been checking. I should probably pay more attention to the coolant level on my M3 too.