Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I will fully admit that I did not read the link, but typically that time can be reduced by adding computational power through advancement OR work distribution across a larger network of machines. Since many things can increase your threat profile to a level of having a distributed adversary and password complexity is one of the most trivial/accessible methods of increased security it’s not a bad idea to stay a bit ahead there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

So, Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa then

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
The chart misses a lot to the point where it's not worth picking apart, most egregiously that it is describing a blind brute force and not a specific attack on a particular account. It's almost inconceivable how frequently credentials leak, so even if all an attacker has is your email they already have a list of passwords you've used in the past for other services (or they straight up just have your password, 0ms guess) and can use any number of strategies to effectively narrow the field by a lot.

At the end of the day you should be using a unique, arbitrary password you did not choose, generated by a trusted generator, the EFF's D6 password chart is very good for this, salted with at least one word or phrase from a different source (because the EFF D6 wordlist is public and should be assumed to be known to your attacker). This minimizes the value of attacking the account by attacking the underlying meat sack (your brain) and because that remains the most effective strategy for password cracking, will cause your attacker to waste a lot of time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sagebrush posted:

i just like the color coding implying that a password that takes 64,000 years to bruteforce is only "orange" level of secure.

I think you'll find that this chart fits the thread a little better. (I posted it in the thread years ago but this seems a fantastic time for an encore.)

And hey, the source is still up. Click through for a few more fantastic charts on the same topic.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Everything should have a password failure lockout anyway. It doesn't even have to be severe, like 30 seconds every five attempts pretty much invalidates the brute force strategy entirely.

Still, for perfect infosec I recommend giving up all computerised systems and services and moving into the woods to subsist on moss and overly curious squirrels.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sagebrush posted:

i just like the color coding implying that a password that takes 64,000 years to bruteforce is only "orange" level of secure.

It is "orange" level of secure because computers get better at brute-forcing passwords over time (i.e. faster), so eventually every password on this chart will have a time of "instantly" but it will take longer for the trillion-year ones to get there than the thousand-years. It happens faster than you'd think. In fact, that is last year's table, let's have a look at this year's.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Deformed Church posted:

Everything should have a password failure lockout anyway. It doesn't even have to be severe, like 30 seconds every five attempts pretty much invalidates the brute force strategy entirely.

Still, for perfect infosec I recommend giving up all computerised systems and services and moving into the woods to subsist on moss and overly curious squirrels.

Brute forcing passwords isn’t usually done with online attacks because they’re way too slow even without a lockout.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I like using my password manager to generate passwords as long as the limit so when I paste it in it fills the input space like its a progress bar that's completed. Any security gained is secondary.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ariong posted:

It is "orange" level of secure because computers get better at brute-forcing passwords over time (i.e. faster), so eventually every password on this chart will have a time of "instantly" but it will take longer for the trillion-year ones to get there than the thousand-years.

The usual standard for new encryption algorithms is that if every atom in the universe was incorporated into a machine that was many orders of magnitude faster than any computer we could possibly project being actually built, it would still be effectively impossible to brute-force a random key.

This, of course, does not prevent idiots from using their kid's birthdate or their pet's name as their password.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

zedprime posted:

I like using my password manager to generate passwords as long as the limit so when I paste it in it fills the input space like its a progress bar that's completed. Any security gained is secondary.

I set my FB password to a randomly generated 128 character string, just to see if it would work, and it did. So bizarrely that is now my strongest password by far.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I made my email password my dogs name. Fortunately we named our dog a randomly generated 1024 character string so I think it should be good.

It's really poo poo trying to call them at the park tho.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
One important thing to consider here is that the hackers don't KNOW if you've used special characters and uppercase and whatnot. The information they might have is what the system allows/requires. They might stumble on aaaaaaaaaaaaa before jeH67&#✓*-#+jjsl, but something in between those is good enough usually.

My current workplace has a password policy that requires special characters, but forbids a trailing exclamation point. Very specific, not sure it actually increases security.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Phosphine posted:

One important thing to consider here is that the hackers don't KNOW if you've used special characters and uppercase and whatnot. The information they might have is what the system allows/requires. They might stumble on aaaaaaaaaaaaa before jeH67&#✓*-#+jjsl, but something in between those is good enough usually.

My current workplace has a password policy that requires special characters, but forbids a trailing exclamation point. Very specific, not sure it actually increases security.

Marginally? When requiring caps and special characters, people have a tendency to place the capital at the beginning, and a punctuation mark at the end, because that’s what we’ve been trained to do since we could hold a pencil in our chubby little toddler hands. Brute force methods take this into account.

The thing is that you’re much more likely to have an account compromised because Linda wrote her password on a sticky attached to her monitor, or Frank fell for a shockingly obvious phishing attempt, etc etc. Doesn’t matter how crafty your password policy is if the most basic social engineering techniques have your users coughing up their credentials.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Powered Descent posted:

This, of course, does not prevent idiots from using their kid's birthdate or their pet's name as their password.

this is because passwords are a disaster and should never have been intended for use by humans

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

dr_rat posted:

I made my email password my dogs name. Fortunately we named our dog a randomly generated 1024 character string so I think it should be good.

It's really poo poo trying to call them at the park tho.

Does everybody look at you when you start making modem noises?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Actual advice since its relevant, never answer security questions honestly. Each answer should be a unique letter/number string saved in the notes field for the site's entry in your password manager

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
"My childhood pet? Yeah I just mashed the keyboard and put in some random letters because everyone loved that dog, you know how it is"

Security questions suck even more than passwords

A minimum wage helpdesk employee won't care about verifying that random string. Automated systems might, but that's (rarely) what security questions are for.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My friend's dad had a habit of making his password one of his children's names, followed by whatever the year was when he made the password. So if he registered for some site in 2009 his password would be Katie2009, and if he registered for a different website in 2016 the password would be Daniel2016. This meant that the passwords were easy to crack, but quite difficult to remember without just resorting to guessing. A flawless system.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Powered Descent posted:

I think you'll find that this chart fits the thread a little better. (I posted it in the thread years ago but this seems a fantastic time for an encore.)

And hey, the source is still up. Click through for a few more fantastic charts on the same topic.

As a chart nerd, I really don't like this one.
Only the first three columns have real information. The rest is noise, both visually and statistically.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This being the awful charts thread, I assumed it was meant to be bad.

Just plot it on a graph with a log scale for the y axis. Done and done

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm the seconds column.

No, the other one.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Sagebrush posted:

I'm the seconds column.

No, the other one.

I'm "miliseconds" with one L

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Freaquency posted:

Marginally? When requiring caps and special characters, people have a tendency to place the capital at the beginning, and a punctuation mark at the end, because that’s what we’ve been trained to do since we could hold a pencil in our chubby little toddler hands. Brute force methods take this into account.

The thing is that you’re much more likely to have an account compromised because Linda wrote her password on a sticky attached to her monitor, or Frank fell for a shockingly obvious phishing attempt, etc etc. Doesn’t matter how crafty your password policy is if the most basic social engineering techniques have your users coughing up their credentials.

Some places put unusual restrictions on the password, like “must be 8-12 characters”, and I always wanted to change how FB passwords work so that they told you a character you had to incorporate somewhere (different per-user). These reduce the likelihood of password reuse, which is I think still the biggest risk to password-based systems.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Sagebrush posted:

I'm the seconds column.

No, the other one.

Hobbit time keeping

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Subjunctive posted:

Some places put unusual restrictions on the password, like “must be 8-12 characters”, and I always wanted to change how FB passwords work so that they told you a character you had to incorporate somewhere (different per-user). These reduce the likelihood of password reuse, which is I think still the biggest risk to password-based systems.

At one point lowtax got tired of offsites getting compromised resulting in people spamming here, and changed the password requirements to be different from basically everywhere else for exactly that reason. Otherwise, a huge portion of the user base just used the same username and password on all SA offshoots.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Blue Footed Booby posted:

At one point lowtax got tired of offsites getting compromised resulting in people spamming here, and changed the password requirements to be different from basically everywhere else for exactly that reason. Otherwise, a huge portion of the user base just used the same username and password on all SA offshoots.

That still makes me laugh, the new SA password was my strongest one for years. Even now, I occasionally run into sites that can't handle one that long.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
My favorite is when they disallow " ' and #, gotta love screaming red flags (of super poo poo database security to put it simply) that you can't do anything about

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh sorry, those were supposed to be centiseconds

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I set my FB password to a randomly generated 128 character string, just to see if it would work, and it did. So bizarrely that is now my strongest password by far.

Facebook actually saves 3 variations of your password because they know capslock will confuse users and phone browsers will sometimes frontcaps fields that shouldn't be.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/halomancer1/status/1708221844195836010

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's probably a cat.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's not nice to call Mr. Trump out like that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

On the one hand it's completely full of poo poo and insane. On the other hand it speaks to my inner doomer so clearly and has rainbows

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
All the circles ought to have distinct graphics like the Mind Prison and the Ecosystem Collapse Spiral.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

I miss the Babylon central bank’s monetary policy :cry:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

So when the label says Homer they actually mean that one?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

90s Cringe Rock posted:

So when the label says Homer they actually mean that one?

Not only that, but Charybdis wasn't credited on the paper despite doing a majority of the work

Which sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I’m the (1) break in the X-axis for centuries where data on interest rates definitely exists, (2) the weirdly precise marks within the break in the axis, (3) the totally incorrect data underlying those marks (lol at a 4% interest rate on a short-term loan before the eighteenth century).