Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

RE: reducing vibrations - go to Home Depot and get a paver that your printer can sit atop. Here's a CNC kitchen video with specific tests/recommendations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y08v6PY_7ak

Where are some good places to get a block of foam like in this video? I could only find carpet foam at my local home depot that was like 3/4" thick. Wondering if there are some vendors I wouldn't know that carry this type of product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got mine from the box that my computer was shipped in a long time ago.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Listerine posted:

Where are some good places to get a block of foam like in this video? I could only find carpet foam at my local home depot that was like 3/4" thick. Wondering if there are some vendors I wouldn't know that carry this type of product.

Where did you look? There is rigid foam insulation that I cannot imagine a home depot failing to stock

Also the fred meyer here has huge chunks of foam in the outdoors section, I assume for camping.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Listerine posted:

I ended up going with a couple of packs of these which aren't exactly what's in the video, but I'd guess craft store/home improvement store:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZS0CH6/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Listerine posted:

I used an old memory foam mattress pad. You can probably get enough from a cheap memory foam pillow at Walmart, too, but that might not be flat like a mattress pad. The pad I used was like 2" thick and squished down to 1/4" inch.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Javid posted:

Where did you look? There is rigid foam insulation that I cannot imagine a home depot failing to stock

Also the fred meyer here has huge chunks of foam in the outdoors section, I assume for camping.

I was looking at the Panorama City Home Depot in the LA area. Wasn't sure what the stuff was called, asked a worker and they sent me to the carpeting section.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Home depot has a pretty great website, relative to most stores, in that it will not only tell you what they have but how many are in stock and WHERE IN THE GODDAMN STORE THEY KEEP IT as opposed to asking a minion who may or may not know what you mean.

I would probably chop up and layer a cheap sheet of this stuff until it was the thickness I wanted

https://www.homedepot.com/p/R-Tech-1-2-in-x-48-in-x-8-ft-R-1-93-EPS-Rigid-Foam-Board-Insulation-320810/202533656

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The stuff in that video is not rigid polystyrene insulation foam!! It is open-cell polyurethane foam used for upholstery and such. It's squishy.

This is the stuff that Home Depot sells in that category:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FUTURE-FOAM-2-in-Thick-Multi-Purpose-Foam-10030BULK2/203837080

(it's what I use under my printer, with a paver I bought there at the same time, and it works well)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah I don't know or care what somebody used in a video I didn't watch, there are plenty of options for foam insulation, I would err more rigid for things I'm going to be stacking bricks and electronics on top of personally

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well in that case you would be stupid, since the entire point of the foam in this scenario is that it's soft and absorbs the vibrations of the machine. it is the spring in
the suspension system that you are building (the paver is the damper). if you put the paver on top of rigid foam insulation you might as well just put the machine on the table.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics and bought a chair pad.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Insulation insulates. What do you think you're trying to do to all those vibrations? Glad you had good results with whatever random poo poo you crammed under your printer though

e: that high density foam is a good choice too

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Javid posted:

Yeah I don't know or care what somebody used in a video I didn't watch, there are plenty of options for foam insulation, I would err more rigid for things I'm going to be stacking bricks and electronics on top of personally

I was expecting a woosh. But the point of the mass, and isolation material just went so far over your head.... The point isn't insulation, the point is a "bad spring". The point is to separate, or decouple, the masses involved so they dont' transmit vibrations. It's isolation, not "insulation". You can use tennis balls, racketball balls, little rubber toy cars, whatever. You're looking for something with a fair amount of hysteresis, and is elastic. Insulation foam is exactly not that. However, since we're on the bad idea train, a few layers of fiberglass bat and a brick would work too.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Javid posted:

At least you’ll easily be able to find the location of the correct type of foam on your second trip to Home Depot I guess

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Yeah, the foam is there to dissipate energy, not to isolate it. Bambu sells isolating feet, and they tend to just make the printer bob around even more since none of the energy is dissipated into the furniture.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Looking forward to your comparative analysis of foam performance since you're so sure.

I'd grab some XPS scraps from my garage and try it if my printer was having that problem to be worth solving

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Javid posted:

Insulation insulates. What do you think you're trying to do to all those vibrations? Glad you had good results with whatever random poo poo you crammed under your printer though

e: that high density foam is a good choice too

"Insulation" at the home depot store nearly always refers to thermal insulation. That's irrelevant here. As Nerobro says, the point is isolation from vibration. Two totally different concepts. Some soft foams happen to be good at both, but it's coincidence -- the thermal insulation happens because all the foam cells trap air inside, and the vibration isolation happens because the cells can collapse and deform.

Aerogel is an excellent thermal insulator, one of the best we've ever invented. It is completely rigid and quite brittle and provides no vibration insulation at all. By your argument it should be the best possible thing to put your printer on to "insulate" it from vibration. But it would be about as effective as putting your printer on a firebrick.

That high density foam from Joann is exactly the same material that I posted. Squishy open-cell polyurethane.

Javid posted:

Looking forward to your comparative analysis of foam performance since you're so sure.

I'd grab some XPS scraps from my garage and try it if my printer was having that problem to be worth solving

It wouldn't work. The material has to be soft and spongy. You're just objectively wrong about what's going on. I dunno what else to tell you

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 2, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Chairman posted:

Yeah, the foam is there to dissipate energy, not to isolate it. Bambu sells isolating feet, and they tend to just make the printer bob around even more since none of the energy is dissipated into the furniture.

I ordered a set so we'll see. The page says it won't affect print quality.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

It wouldn't work.

cool, when did you try it and what happened?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

JointHorse posted:

Elegoo just finished their pre-order phase for Neptune 4 / 4 Pro, and they already have two bigger models coming:

Neptune 4 Max
Print volume: 420*420*480mm
$470

I was going to comment on the 480mm build height, but Neptune 3 Max beats that by 20mm. loving hell, how big are these things gonna be? :psyduck:

There may be a significant shipping discount by going slightly smaller, or they can fit one more row in a shipping container, is my wild rear end guess

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Listerine posted:

A rubber paver, right next to the concrete patio stones of which you also want to buy one, will do you just fine. Together, they cost about $12.

The spring factor of a rubber paver is in the ballpark of a piece of rigid foam and is less of a pain in the rear end. You can see them under my P1S in this picture:

(I spraypainted the concrete paver so it wouldn't get crumbly and dusty and lovely.)

Also rigid EPS foam will absolute disintegrate under vibration if you give it enough time. Good luck with that.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 2, 2023

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

On my old printer, I used something like this:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5416970

Far more elegant than a paving stone/foam and it totally isolated any noise into the furniture.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I vaguely remember a youtuber doing experiments with pavers and foam a while back and concluding that a medium squishy foam did the most for noise and vibration. Not the hard kind that you nail up on your house and not the squishy kind you put in a seat cushion.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A while ago like the top of this page? :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Javid posted:

cool, when did you try it and what happened?

I don't need to try it any more than I need to drive into a telephone pole to find out if doing so will break my car. I understand the physics involved and I know what the outcome will be.

It sounds like you might need to try it to believe it, though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What monitor arm is that

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I don't need to try it any more than I need to drive into a telephone pole to find out if doing so will break my car. I understand the physics involved and I know what the outcome will be.

It sounds like you might need to try it to believe it, though.

I mean now I've been curious enough to look and I can't find anybody having tried it, aside from

withak posted:

I vaguely remember a youtuber doing experiments with pavers and foam a while back and concluding that a medium squishy foam did the most for noise and vibration. Not the hard kind that you nail up on your house and not the squishy kind you put in a seat cushion.

which is more of a source than you've cited since being lovely about advice you disagree with itt. maybe it's not the best foam but that was never my position, just that I don't want to put a seat cushion under my printer, do whatever I don't care

anyway. the leather stamp project continues to bear fruit. I got paid 30 bucks for that M and have had way more than that value in entertainment learning to stamp things with my own silly bullshit

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

You could also try out debossed stamps instead of embossed stamps. I've found that's a nice way to get very fine details if you don't have access to a .15 nozzle to put down tiny lines.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Nero has a video on leather stamping with 3dp.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Hadlock posted:

What monitor arm is that

random Amazon thing. Huanuo I think? Holds an ultrawide real good though. My work desk is behind the photo and I have nice calibrated monitors there, this is for F360 and video games.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

On my old printer, I used something like this:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5416970

Far more elegant than a paving stone/foam and it totally isolated any noise into the furniture.

Those can totally work for some use cases, but consider how much slower and how much less intense the noise and vibrations are on a bedslinger that maxes out (if pushed) around 100mm/s and relatively pokey acceleration, versus a corexy printer that will slam the print head around like the filament owes it money. My SV06 was Klipper'd and I had it around 4000 mm/s^2 acceleration and it was still nowhere near as loud as a Bambu can be with the door open and just sitting on a table - and it didn't make me feel like the table was going to walk away mid-print.

The paving stone weighs almost as much as the printer and gives it a lot more mass to push back against, atop the spring that is the rubber paver (in my case).

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 2, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Javid posted:

anyway. the leather stamp project continues to bear fruit. I got paid 30 bucks for that M and have had way more than that value in entertainment learning to stamp things with my own silly bullshit

This is sick

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Thanks!

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

You could also try out debossed stamps instead of embossed stamps. I've found that's a nice way to get very fine details if you don't have access to a .15 nozzle to put down tiny lines.

My last little doodle tonight played with that principle but with internal details in a larger shape. It's effective!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

tracecomplete posted:

random Amazon thing. Huanuo I think? Holds an ultrawide real good though. My work desk is behind the photo and I have nice calibrated monitors there, this is for F360 and video games.

Those can totally work for some use cases, but consider how much slower and how much less intense the noise and vibrations are on a bedslinger that maxes out (if pushed) around 100mm/s and relatively pokey acceleration, versus a corexy printer that will slam the print head around like the filament owes it money.

My old printer *was* a coreXY. (BLV MGN Cube).

This thread has a tendency of groupthink and going "There can be only one!".

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I put squash ball feet on my Creality K1 and they work great. Probably not as good as just putting a paver down, but don’t diss the balls, they’re pretty robust. :colbert:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alright I’m beginning to think online advice for the X1C is a scam, because everything was telling me to keep PETG temps at 250C or lower and bed temps at 50C and I only started getting decent prints when I cranked the temps up to 265C and 60C.

Still have a bank 4 filament feed issue to figure out, though. The printer regularly complains it can’t unload the filament and it’s either a tubing issue or the roll is just too big/smooth with the cardboard adapter I had to put on.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

For the unloading issue try that elbow printable.
Found it
https://www.printables.com/model/350714-bambu-lab-ptfe-guide

Bambu shoulda just included it on their sd card and given the designer some dollars.

Also yeah Petg likes hot beds and hot ends . Just like the tater is yaknow what I mean.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 2, 2023

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

The stock PETG profiles for the Bambu printers has 255C for the material, 70C for the engineering plate and 80C for the high temp and textured plates. Not sure where you found that "advice", but it's pretty bad.

If you're trying to use the cool plate... errr, don't, I think. I seem to remember reading that even Bambu doesn't recommend it anymore for ABS or PETG.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Acid Reflux posted:

The stock PETG profiles for the Bambu printers has 255C for the material, 70C for the engineering plate and 80C for the high temp and textured plates. Not sure where you found that "advice", but it's pretty bad.

If you're trying to use the cool plate... errr, don't, I think. I seem to remember reading that even Bambu doesn't recommend it anymore for ABS or PETG.

From the manufacturer of the PEX plate I bought and also some posts on Reddit:

https://whambam3d.com/products/258-x-258-flexi-plate-with-pre-installed-pex-build-surface

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/e609d0dd-0e9a-451a-9623-1053f671b776/downloads/PETG%20and%20PEX%20on%20Bambu.pdf?ver=1672472542673

quote:

Quick Summary:
° In slicer lower your hot end settings to a maximum of 250° and your bed to 50°C.
° Increase gap of first layer print.

I have the official Bambu textured PEI plate on the way so I think once I have that I can stick to the stock settings and skip the gluestick, too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I usually have issues with bed adhesion at those temps, but I also have a different printer (and a Creality nonetheless) so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

None of my hard-won Ender 3 v2 wisdom applies anymore. It's hosed up