Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I've seen quite a few hockey writers question if Zegras is actually good because he didn't get much better last year, which seems kind of insane to me since it was just his 2nd full season, at age 21, while playing on one of the worst teams in recent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I've seen quite a few hockey writers question if Zegras is actually good because he didn't get much better last year, which seems kind of insane to me since it was just his 2nd full season, at age 21, while playing on one of the worst teams in recent memory.

Yeah that's madness. He is obviously the most talented player on the ice for his team and I suspect he'll break out pretty big here soon just like Elias Pettersson

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
But have you considered the ad impressions from those clicks?

Zegras probably didn’t improve a lot playing on a terrible team last year, but he didn’t exactly get bad at the game either. I just expect that he’s going to need to move to a different team as a UFA or RFA on an expiring contract if he wants to actually get close to winning in the playoffs.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm excited about the Leafs this year because I'm clearly a masochist, but I liked these offseason moves. Outside of giving Reaves 3 years, the gently caress. And keeping Keefe I guess.

Ok I talked myself out of it.

Biggest issue for me, besides obviously the Reaves deal which is terrible, is that Keefe has not been able to use guys like Barrie and Gustafsson effectively in the past so I don't have a lot of hope that Klingberg is going to be given the opportunity and structure to be effective. Especially now with his injury costing him camp time, I imagine any chance of him earning Keefe's trust is basically gone. I also don't think Guy Boucher is going to be the kind of guy to add a new dynamic to the coaching staff.

I know there's some gnashing of teeth about the cap and the necessity of (probably) losing Jarnkrok for 'nothing' but I can't name a thing that guy does particularly well that makes him head and shoulders above whichever AHL tweener fits under the cap.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah I keep hearing they think they may not have room for him because of MacTavish and Carlsson and it's like who gives a gently caress so you now have 4 good forwards instead of 3, figure it out. Zegras could play wing if necessary.

The Ducks rebuild looks fine though. They seem to be hitting on their important picks. I would have taken Fantilli but Carlsson looks excellent.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 2, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
the Venn diagram of people who understand/create advanced stats and the people who can make good charts is extremely small. i’m guessing he’s either designing them himself or working with an in house designer who’s overworked and doesn’t really get it. i see this a million times in tech, but thankfully the bar is pitifully low there

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Yeah I keep hearing they think they may not have room for him because of MacTavish and Carlsson and it's like who gives a gently caress so you now have 4 good forwards instead of 3, figure it out. Zegras could play wing if necessary.

The "oh no what if we have too many good players in the future maybe?" argument is truly the strangest one in sports.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1708814090708172972

Oh man. :(

fake edit- Thumbnail cuts it off, but Porty is in Stage 5 kidney failure and dialysis is pretty much the only thing keeping him alive at this point.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I thought there was no stage 5?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mr. Kite posted:

I thought there was no stage 5?

Cancer has 4 stages, renal failure has 5. At 5 the organ is basically dead and not working any more.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
mason mctavish will be better than zegras you can quote me on that

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The guy from CoD4?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Furnaceface posted:

Cancer has 4 stages, renal failure has 5. At 5 the organ is basically dead and not working any more.

Yeah I've had two friends die of kidney failure in the past few years. The first (early 70s) lasted about 8 months on dialysis, the other (50) only about 3 months. It's a ticking clock unfortunately. Dialysis can only do so much and it puts a lot of strain on the rest of your organs.

By the way, the lesson learned from both of them--if you have high blood pressure or symptoms suggestive of high blood pressure, DEAL WITH THAT RIGHT NOW. High blood pressure usually doesn't kill you by your heart exploding. It usually kills you by ruining your kidneys.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Habs power play was so insanely bad last game at least I figure it can't get any worse. Teams going nowhere again this year if they still can't figure that poo poo out even with Suzuki and Caufield.

They scored a Power Play Goal :supaburn:

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Not going to win a place on the penalty kill with that effort Matthews

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Kale posted:

Habs power play was so insanely bad last game at least I figure it can't get any worse. Teams going nowhere again this year if they still can't figure that poo poo out even with Suzuki and Caufield.

They scored a Power Play Goal :supaburn:

Pretty fitting that it came off of McCabe basically kicking it into his own net

Kale
May 14, 2010

Allen's let in at least one kind of bad goal every preseason game he's played in so far and that was literally the first shot so he enters the stat sheet with 0.00%. Kind of concerning at this point since it's been a consistent thing now. Maybe Montembeault is looking more like the designated starter at this point.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Gregor and Domi look like they're brothers

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mennoknight posted:

mason mctavish will be better than zegras you can quote me on that

I don't think that's unreasonable at all but it's weird that there's this sentiment that one precludes the other on a team with like 3 or 4 good forwards.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Karlsson looks pretty great out there.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

Karlsson looks pretty great out there.

The rest of the Pens not so much. The top 6 has been really really bad.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The rest of the Pens not so much. The top 6 has been really really bad.

It's preseason and they're old and fragile. They're not even slightly trying.

I'm the resident Pens Realist Doomer here, I think they'll finish 10th or 11th and I'll be surprised if Crosby ever plays another playoff game. But the top 6 not giving a poo poo in preseason is totally meaningless.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

they missed by a point last season and just picked up the Norris winner

they'll make the playoffs this year, especially since the bottom half of the metropolitan only got worse

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They had--shockingly, for the Penguins--incredibly good injury luck last year. And still missed the playoffs. Their injury luck will not likely be that good again.

But sure, with some breaks (foremost among them, Carter getting hurt or Dubas/Sullivan realizing in a flash of clarity that he's finished and releasing him) they could absolutely finish 6th-to-8th. I'm not betting on it but it's entirely possible. I'll probably regret saying this but I feel a lot better about Nedeljkovic being Plan B than DeSmith.

e2: It's a gigantic switch in the backup goalie realm though. DeSmith sucks, but supposedly the Pens kept him around so long because he Knew The System. Nedeljkovic tries to play like Hasek and has gone straight into the doghouse, without passing Go, of every coach he's had so far, and Sullivan is not shy about sending guys to the doghouse. So I have no idea how it'll end up.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 3, 2023

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Kale posted:

Allen's let in at least one kind of bad goal every preseason game he's played in so far and that was literally the first shot so he enters the stat sheet with 0.00%. Kind of concerning at this point since it's been a consistent thing now. Maybe Montembeault is looking more like the designated starter at this point.

I think the organization has been talking about Monty like he’s at least the 1A.

I was looking at the depth chart after the cuts and it’s crazy how many Habs prospects look to be shaping up to be NHL players but yet how mediocre the whole thing looks. Hutson has star potential, and Reinbacher at the very high end could be a Shea Weber. But the system is absolutely jammed with 3rd liners and 4-5th dmen.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its way too early in the preseason for Pens doomerism.

Flyers on the other hand...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Bratt should save that poo poo for the season IMO

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's a gigantic switch in the backup goalie realm though. DeSmith sucks, but supposedly the Pens kept him around so long because he Knew The System. Nedeljkovic tries to play like Hasek and has gone straight into the doghouse, without passing Go, of every coach he's had so far, and Sullivan is not shy about sending guys to the doghouse. So I have no idea how it'll end up.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

mcmagic posted:

Bratt should save that poo poo for the season IMO

I hope everybody on both sides of the ice saves this poo poo for the season. This game loving owns

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

T-Bone posted:

I don't think that's unreasonable at all but it's weird that there's this sentiment that one precludes the other on a team with like 3 or 4 good forwards.

nah they should trade him and zellweger to someone like calgary

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mennoknight posted:

nah they should trade him and zellweger to someone like calgary

Just so they can demand a trade 2 years later to Florida?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Eric the Mauve posted:

They had--shockingly, for the Penguins--incredibly good injury luck last year. And still missed the playoffs. Their injury luck will not likely be that good again.

To be honest I think having Crosby and Malkin play 82-game seasons was what lost them the season.

Their age is catching up to them, and I think if they’d been injured and missed out on some games then they’d not been as exhausted as they were at the end of the season.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I can maybe hear you on Malkin (though, counterpoint: who the hell else was supposed to play all those minutes at 2C?) but Crosby was still a very very good player even if he doesn't play defense anymore. (OK, he plays a little defense, whereas Malkin is among the very worst defensive players in the NHL these days)

They were just a fringe playoff team on talent. Just barely making or just barely missing was always where they were going to land. This year they added Karlsson which is huge, but it's also the only significant change and mostly offset by the fact everyone on the oldest team in the league got another year older, and they still don't have a goalie because gods know Jarry isn't going to go uninjured for 7 months and Alex Nedeljkovic isn't really a plan. So once again they are a fringe playoff team that will just barely make or just barely miss.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 3, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I can maybe hear you on Malkin (though, counterpoint: who the hell else was supposed to play all those minutes at 2C?) but Crosby was still a very very good player even if he doesn't play defense anymore. (OK, he plays a little defense, whereas Malkin is among the very worst defensive players in the NHL these days)

They were just a fringe playoff team on talent. Just barely making or just barely missing was always where they were going to land. This year they added Karlsson which is huge, but it's also the only significant change and mostly offset by the fact everyone on the oldest team in the league got another year older, and they still don't have a goalie because gods know Jarry isn't going to go uninjured for 7 months and Alex Nedeljkovic isn't really a plan. So once again they are a fringe playoff team that will just barely make or just barely miss.

weeeeell

they also dumped Dumoulin who was (last year) the worst player on the team, and probably the most cooked d-man I've seen since Jack Johnson
I can vividly recall dozens of goals that came as a result of his inability to clear the puck so that's a huge boost as well

and the bottom 6 is basically entirely turned over, not necessarily with younger players but hopefully with some that can actually skate and are designed to fit Sullivan's system (in which the bottom 6 takes brutal deployments)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That is very true. Losing Dumoulin's desiccated corpse would definitely be addition by subtraction even if Ty Smith were replacing him.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I can't wait for this Devils season to start jfc

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fawning deference posted:

I can't wait for this Devils season to start jfc

I'm gonna go to so many games.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
That Bratt-Hughes-Toffoli line is scary as hell. I'm just glad we at least kept it interesting

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

If only Josh Anderson could plays the Leafs 82 times a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Impressive how utterly disinterested the Leafs managed to look in their own zone for a little over 2 periods. To be fair, I deserve it for actually watching preseason hockey.