Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Yeah, mine showed up on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
(But you can just walk into any polling booth and vote, whether your paperwork shows up or not)

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
No sign of our Easy Vote cards here yet, either. Voting tomorrow regardless.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

We got nothing either. End of our street has our local vote booth tho, so I'll walk down this avo.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Just voted but no sticker. I think I need to complain to the electoral commission.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

If you vote, but don’t get a sticker does it even count?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Varkk posted:

If you vote, but don’t get a sticker does it even count?

It felt hollow without one at the end.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

My wife is in the hospital (which fortunately will have an early vote booth) but there is a form that people can fill in so you can collect a voting paper on their behalf, bring it to them, then return it so they don't have to go out to do it.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
There's alot wrong with this country but I really appreciate how accessible voting is these days.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Done, voted the Christmas colours.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Black, red and white and green?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
A white Christmas, ACT across the board.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Seymour's mother is Ngāpuhi, it's his go to defence when he gets called out for racist policy.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Content to Hover posted:

Black, red and white and green?

At least half of those.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Content to Hover posted:

Seymour's mother is Ngāpuhi, it's his go to defence when he gets called out for racist policy.

Is that this elections 'my husband is samoan'?

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Nah, it's a part of our culture. Regardless of how racist kiwis are, very few want to be perceived that way. I'd give the example of Don Brash, he basically pushed the same agenda in 2004, but as a white guy he had no cover so it was blatant racism which is where people drew the line.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

in 2005 national would receive 48 seats, marking the first time since 1990 that they hadn't lost seats and recovering fully from a record loss under bill english.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
don brash is racist? then explain why he put āpirana ngata on the 50

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
I have never been prouder of my home province.
Get Coked Up, Smash the Ranfurly
Hawkes Bay represent!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lol if you've never snorted coke off a sporting trophy.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think if someone genuinely doesn't want to work that's pretty much the same as not being able to work, like there's something else going on and that's going to be very difficult to figure out but you can't just let them starve on the street in the meanwhile.

I also think that if someone wants a job they should have a relatively friction-less pathway to build a career through some kind of Ministry of Works program.

China *is* pretty much the only country that has lifted huge numbers of people out of poverty in the last 50 years, but that is largely through central planning. Things like joint-venture companies between foreign capital and central/local governments helped ensure the country wasn't just strip-mined of resources and labour and could actually develop local industry under local control. More recently the poverty alleviation program essentially subsidizes local industry in undeveloped regions to an insane degree, as well as relocating populations to areas that make more economic sense, mass building infrastructure, and straight up giving people nice, modern housing for free or close to it.

Imagine Kāinga Ora building things like this: https://www.archdaily.com/999787/village-collective-housing-no10-architects

Kathleen fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 2, 2023

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Kathleen posted:

I think if someone genuinely doesn't want to work that's pretty much the same as not being able to work, like there's something else going on and that's going to be very difficult to figure out but you can't just let them starve on the street in the meanwhile.

I also think that if someone wants a job they should have a relatively friction-less pathway to build a career through some kind of Ministry of Works program.

China *is* pretty much the only country that has lifted huge numbers of people out of poverty in the last 50 years, but that is largely through central planning. Things like joint-venture companies between foreign capital and central/local governments helped ensure the country wasn't just strip-mined of resources and labour and could actually develop local industry under local control. More recently the poverty alleviation program essentially subsidizes local industry in undeveloped regions to an insane degree, as well as relocating populations to areas that make more economic sense, mass building infrastructure, and straight up giving people nice, modern housing for free or close to it.

Yeah, but have you done coke off of any noteworthy sporting trophies?

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Easy Vote cards arrived, so my wife and I commited an Act of Democracy today. Took all of about three minutes.

No sticker, though.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Feeling super bummed that I have to sit this election out. It's been over 3 years since I was last in the country.

Not yet a citizen here in Canada, so fully disenfranchised from democracy right now!

The 3 year time limit is probably related to the length of the election cycle? Because it sure takes far more than 3 years to get citizenship anywhere else.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

You might still be able to!

https://vote.nz/overseas/vote-from-overseas/vote-from-overseas/ posted:

The rules about who can vote from overseas have changed.

You can enrol and vote in the 2023 General Election from overseas if all the following statements are true:

• you are 18 years or older
  • you’ve lived in New Zealand for more than 12 months continuously at some time in your life

You are one of the following:
  • a New Zealand citizen who has been in New Zealand within the last 6 years
  • a New Zealand permanent resident who has been in New Zealand within the last 4 years.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

quote:

After the 2023 General Election the eligibility criteria will change back to the previous settings of 3 years for New Zealand citizens and 12 months for New Zealand permanent residents.

What the gently caress? This text was NOT there when I was being email prodded about my enrolment status a couple of months back!

gently caress! Better sort my info out then! Glad I complained to strangers on the internet!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i just figured out that you can apparently buy custom prints directly from te papa for things in their collection? haven't tried it yet

like who wouldn't want an A1 sized print of this or this for around $150 including GST and NZ shipping

("buy or licence" button, select the checkbox next to the art, then select "print" to see size/price options)

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Progressive JPEG posted:

i just figured out that you can apparently buy custom prints directly from te papa for things in their collection? haven't tried it yet

like who wouldn't want an A1 sized print of this or this for around $150 including GST and NZ shipping

("buy or licence" button, select the checkbox next to the art, then select "print" to see size/price options)

Why? When you can get the Fisheries poster for free plus postage.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

There's not much I want more than a nicely-framed print of this.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
my partner inherited a mccahon, two hoteres and a gretchen albrecht when her dad died and she had to sell all but one hotere... we weren't in a position to keep them all safe etc. now i kinda wish we had tried to.

e: to be clear her parents had bought them in the 60s-70s

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

gently caress thats awesome, will have to seriously consider getting some prints from their collection

if you're someone who has the money for original art (lol, I know), I have two pro tips for getting an absolute bargain:

- labour party art auctions have good poo poo from high profile contemporary artists. A Nigel Borrell piece sold last week for like a grand at a recent one
- the various Māori art schools around the country (Toihoukura in Gisborne is probably one of the best, for e.g.) exhibit art from their students fairly often and a lot of it is mindblowingly good, and they often sell for only a few hundy

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Did not expect this thread to take a NZ Art turn.

Edit: just had a weird ad with an American voice over about crime for a website called "Vote for better" run by someone called Tim Barry from Warkworth.
It all seemed a little... cherry picked? And the Americanised (possibly computer generated) voice over was weird, reminiscent of NAct talking points.
EDIT 2: found a Reddit thread from a week ago where it's speculated to be an Act/TPU astro turf thing.

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 4, 2023

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
If the thread can identify Luxon hiring the same number of police as Labour but targeted at "inner city" crime as race based, why can't our journalists?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what makes you think they can't

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
It was in response to this article, but I do understand that they largely choose not to.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
voted today. got to sort out my enrollment before the special votes are counted though as I don't show up on the enrollment checker. I wish my last address wasn't in Epsom, though I know it doesn't matter as much now that ACT will be over the threshold.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/po...twitter-trouble

Very surprised to see news about a green party list member's posting history and it isn't Steph Rodgers or Francisco Hernandez.

Sapna is second-to-last on the list lol

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I can't imagine you'd select Fran or Steph without knowing their posting history, so there's probably not much of a gotcha.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm 100% certain Steph has tweeted something along the lines of "white people are stupid" multiple times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Minor Leaders debate would be much more spicy if James Shaw had defended her tweet.

In context, saying white people are "stupid" (culturally ignorant) isn't technically false and a Labour minister being "****ing incompetent" wouldn't surprise me.