Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think any star wars has done more to humanize droids than Andor. That poor guy has like an anxiety condition, depression, and goes through the stages of grief. But unlike most star wars, everyone around him actually seems to genuinely respect him as a being with real feelings. They try to comfort him, spend time with him, it's really touching.

Actually, of all the things I was impressed with watching Andor, making me really feel something for that little droid was probably the most impressive. I mean, I felt so bad for him. Poor little guy.

Hell, even the K2 units that jailed Cassian had some personality in the minute or two we saw them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
The funniest part of that fight sequence was when Shin just threw him into a wall so the show could set up the 1v1

Just completely out of nowhere and didn't make much sense with what's been on screen for the past 5 minutes

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think any star wars has done more to humanize droids than Andor. That poor guy has like an anxiety condition, depression, and goes through the stages of grief. But unlike most star wars, everyone around him actually seems to genuinely respect him as a being with real feelings. They try to comfort him, spend time with him, it's really touching.

Between Chopper, B2EMO, and BD-1 and Huyang (and arguably others) the Disney era has been great for droids being treated as actual characters and people.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Between Chopper, B2EMO, and BD-1 and Huyang (and arguably others) the Disney era has been great for droids being treated as actual characters and people.

Yeah the main droids are always a real highlight

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kesper North posted:

Kinda surprised Mandos didn't invent Equilibium-style gun kata to counter Jedi

In the deep lore instead they just invented guns because you can't deflect a slug (bullet)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ezra picking up a blaster rifle and using it effectively made me think that force users would probably exceptional marksmen and don't use blasters as a way of self restraint. Like, it would be so easy to gunkata these fools but instead I need to make sure that each death blow is meaningful and required or something along those lines. And on the other side, Sith probably don't because theres no artistry or display of power in just blasting fools.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Azhais posted:

Not that I can recall.

Also is that the first time we've seen someone force block a lightsaber beam?

Rey and Kylo both block each other's lightsabers in Rise of Skywalker. But I don't blame anyone for not remembering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abyiTdd5P54&t=62s

Timestamped.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
For those non Rebels watchers*, Ezra's first lightsaber that he built was both a saber and a blaster

*You should, it's good

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

zoux posted:

Extremely nerd question but what was the hand-to-hand Force kung fu that is undoubtedly in the EU legends stuff

Every single Jedi ever uses a lightsaber, even the goddamn elderly librarian, so I think it would be cool to see a Jedi fight w/o a lightsaber. Wish they woulda choreographed it a little better though.

I remember being incredibly, incredibly upset that Yoda used one against Dooku, it really showed the limitations of Lucas's ideas.

thrawn527 posted:

Rey and Kylo both block each other's lightsabers in Rise of Skywalker. But I don't blame anyone for not remembering.

Timestamped.

I clicked this to see and yeah, completely forgot. Not long after in that clip, Rey is deflecting blaster bolts from one guard's pistol to hit another guard, which I'd also completely forgotten. Man, I was really checked out on that movie

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 2, 2023

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

thrawn527 posted:

Timestamped.

I never bothered seeing the movie at all. I see that fight also has the plasma distortions

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

HootTheOwl posted:

In the deep lore instead they just invented guns because you can't deflect a slug (bullet)

You know, you could probably give a Jedi lead poisoning from the fumes of all the bullets being flash-vaporized against the blade over time, that'd be one sidious plan. They had to close a gun range in my area because the concentration of vaporized, aerosolized lead was n times above the legal limit at the bus stop across the street

maybealabia posted:

For those non Rebels watchers*, Ezra's first lightsaber that he built was both a saber and a blaster

:hmmyes: ah, the blaber

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 2, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

trevorreznik posted:

I clicked this to see and yeah, completely forgot. Not long after in that clip, Rey is deflecting blaster bolts from one guard's pistol to hit another guard, which I'd also completely forgotten. Man, I was really checked out on that movie

I understand the issues with the movie, and I even agree with most of them. It's not a good movie. But the Rey/Kylo lightsaber fights are good. As is the "Kylo shrug" later.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

thrawn527 posted:

I understand the issues with the movie, and I even agree with most of them. It's not a good movie. But the Rey/Kylo lightsaber fights are good. As is the "Kylo shrug" later.

This movment deserved to be in a much, much better movie. Like one of the few kernals of undigested sweet corn in that steaming pile.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Owlbear Camus posted:

This movment deserved to be in a much, much better movie. Like one of the few kernals of undigested sweet corn in that steaming pile.

Yeah, the action choreography is much better in those fights than in the throne room in ep8. But I'd just lost interest emotionally and stopped focusing. And I'm someone who watches hundreds of trashy action movies

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Azhais posted:

Also is that the first time we've seen someone force block a lightsaber beam?

thrawn527 posted:

The first instance of using the force to block a saber strike that I can remember was from an Old Republic cinematic. Timestamped 3m22s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmyF5ge6SQU&t=202s

I remember this because at the time of that cinematic release I was thinking Jedi should do that more often in the movies lol.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If I remember correctly, the actual first instance of Force-blocking a lightsaber was the fanfic I wrote as a teen. Nobody was more bad-rear end than my OC, Blake Moonfister.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Has C-3PO always been known as “Threepio” or is this a recent thing? I know “Threepio” is literally 3PO written out but I mean people specifically calling him “Threepio” in writing and not 3PO or C-3PO or C3PO etc.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like as a loose convention it was sometimes written that way even in old rear end legends stuff when people were talking to or about him informally.

Certainly his upcoming indictment for obstruction of justice will not be so lax

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If I remember correctly, the actual first instance of seeing "Threepio" written out like that was

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Luke yells for him from the garbage chute empathically shouting "Threepio! Shut down the trash compactors!"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Boris Galerkin posted:

Has C-3PO always been known as “Threepio” or is this a recent thing? I know “Threepio” is literally 3PO written out but I mean people specifically calling him “Threepio” in writing and not 3PO or C-3PO or C3PO etc.

Yeah it goes back to the novelisation of the original movie.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's the same reason Finn's legal last name is Toowonaitseven (actually it's Dameron but let me have this)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I demand to know why C-3PO cereal was shaped like 8s instead of Os.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sash! posted:

I demand to know why C-3PO cereal was shaped like 8s instead of Os.

He's written in octal, not like those mere binary load lifters

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mandos just use their flamethrowers on Jedi.

Can’t parry a flamethrower.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Gonz posted:

Mandos just use their flamethrowers on Jedi.

Can’t parry a flamethrower.

S1e10 of mando…

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like as a loose convention it was sometimes written that way even in old rear end legends stuff when people were talking to or about him informally.

Certainly his upcoming indictment for obstruction of justice will not be so lax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UOl004OArU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i would like to extend my best wishes to all, even the haters and losers, on this special life day

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

zoux posted:

I thought it was interesting that Ezra used Force karate, is that something from Rebels?

check out, "mace windu in the genndy tartakovsky clone wars show"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

trevorreznik posted:

Yeah, the action choreography is much better in those fights than in the throne room in ep8.

You mean the Power Ranger outtakes?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't care what anyone says, I love that fight

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sash! posted:

I don't care what anyone says, I love that fight

:same: I've explained why I love the throne room brawl ad nauseam on this forum lol.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Who is going to pay you for avenging Snoke. Your job is to protect Snoke, and you failed. Snoke is dead means you don't have a job. Go home and be a family man.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rage because you're not getting a paycheck. That's enough.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think I read that tonights episode is only 42 minutes ... isn't this the finale? That's maybe 38 minutes at most of stuff with the intro and credits. Maybe 35.

E: https://twitter.com/Cryptic4KQual/status/1708086543263338523 apparently theyve been accurate with most

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

I think I read that tonights episode is only 42 minutes ... isn't this the finale? That's maybe 38 minutes at most of stuff with the intro and credits. Maybe 35.

https://x.com/Cryptic4KQual/status/1708086543263338523?s=20

No idea if this is true, but this is saying it's 42 minutes without the credits, 49 minutes total. And this is the source everywhere appears to be quoting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know why they do it for theatres' sakes but it will always be weird to me that runtimes include the full credits.

Though I suppose in the age of MCU end-credit scenes it can actually be more reflective of a viewer's experience.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Theres no way they are wrapping this all up. They haven't announced a season 2, so is the plan just to shotgun all this stuff at us and then wait for other D+ shows to resolve it?

Also, please renew.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wait last weeks episode was the 2nd to last?? And it feels like the actual plot is just barely starting? What an insanely paced show. Glad we had like 4 filler episodes about decoding a map and arguing about who's the blame for its extremely predictable theft before starting the actual show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Blackchamber posted:

Theres no way they are wrapping this all up. They haven't announced a season 2, so is the plan just to shotgun all this stuff at us and then wait for other D+ shows to resolve it?

Also, please renew.

Prevailing rumor (maybe it's not a rumor anymore, not sure) is that there is supposed to be a Dave Filoni directed movie to wrap up the Mando-verse. I guess we'll see.

Normally when I see "[insert director] to helm a new, unnamed Star Wars film project" I mostly tune out, but Filoni has hinted at this project several times in interviews before the strikes began. Also makes sense - one film budget is inherently going to be way less expensive than two or three series with the production values of Ahsoka.