Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Fidelity 2% cash back card now has no foreign transaction fee.

A good card just got better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, it's weird, but it makes more sense once you realize it's a discount grocery store with 0 frills, and my impression of the owner is he's one of those super frugal people. For a long time they only took Cash+Debit. I got this Discover when they announced the partnership, pretty much specifically for it.

WinCo is majority employee owned. They probably negotiated a deal with discover for lower interchange fees or a revenue sharing agreement.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

I might pick this up for traveling since the Alliant Visa still doesn't have tap to pay for some reason. (Does support mobile wallets though).

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Yeah I was really happy to see this. Now I think it's basically strictly better than my Quicksilver.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

THF13 posted:

I might pick this up for traveling since the Alliant Visa still doesn't have tap to pay for some reason. (Does support mobile wallets though).

It’s a weird oversight on this otherwise great card.

Also the physical #s are just hard to read.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Nice!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Two questions:

1) The Fidelity card is interesting - I'm assuming if the user already has a Fidelity account, the set up is pretty straight forward and they can see all their transactions directly in their Fidelity account? How about through the phone app?

2) Has anyone been in a situation where you were able to book cheaper flights through the Chase Travel Portal than directly with the airline?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Busy Bee posted:

Two questions:

1) The Fidelity card is interesting - I'm assuming if the user already has a Fidelity account, the set up is pretty straight forward and they can see all their transactions directly in their Fidelity account? How about through the phone app?

2) Has anyone been in a situation where you were able to book cheaper flights through the Chase Travel Portal than directly with the airline?

1) Yes, you can see everything in the Fidelity app.

2. Yes, but it's really rare.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Even (or especially) if you're just in it for cash, the sign-up bonus on the Premier is significant.

Iirc the reason people go Premier -> Custom Cash -> Rewards+ is that the Premier and + have mutually exclusive signup bonuses.

So get the 80,000 points from the Premier first, then apply for the Custom Cash. Get your 20,000 from that. Then, if you want, grab the Rewards+. You won't get a sign-up bonus but it will add 10% to the value of your previous two cards, so it's effectively with $100/10,000 + 10% ofwhatever points you have from actual spending.

Then right after the Premier renews next year, downgrade it to a second Custom Cash and get that second annual fee refunded. Enjoy having 5.5% back in the top two spending categories of your choice each month for no annual fee (which is important, because it means you can also neglect these categories without penalty if you need that spending to grab another bonus later).

Credit to pseudoanonymous for pointing this combo out to me over in the churning thread. It's one of those rare best-of-both-worlds sweet spots that gives you both up-front value and long term usefulness.

Trip report on finally completing this. It all worked as described, and I even got the sign up rewards for all 3 ($750, $200, $200 respectively), so maybe them being exclusive has changed

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
New quarter and Discover IT's 5% rotating categories are: Target and Amazon (already have Amazon 5% card)
Chase Freedom's 5% are: Paypal, Wholesalers, Select Charities

I've never really thought about using a rewards card to give to charity. Now I'm kind of curious at the prospect.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
idk why i did this but that amazon credit card they offer you is something I put in for (https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Visa/dp/B007URFTYI). Idk why I did it that day but money worries have been on my mind found out my mom has chronic lymphocytic leukemia and it was a weird day. I'm wondering if I can unfire that particular gun but if not, oh well its done.

That said I do want to start doing the credit card deal smarter, at least when I have suitable income to do so.

Current situation as far as CC debt goes
In the spring I'll have my capital one credit card paid off (2.5k limit, just says Rewards on it, looks like a generic one) and my care credit card (balance left on that at time of writing is 4,763.63). But that would be shifting scholarship money/pell grant/student loan money to do so in one shot. Grad school is next as is getting EMT Paramedic and TCCC certified concurrently (even if it slows down the Master's and doctoral degree path) so I can work either at home or abroad if/when I need to step up for me and moms. I have a 50% VA rating that gets me 1,040 USD a month which is how I've been able to pay off my current CC debt regularly/be less of a burden on family.

What I would want from a CC
I don't know. All I know is I plan to take my mother to Copenhagen for christmas as much as I can in the next few years/as finances permit. If some CC has travel benefits I could min/max that would help me get her there, I'm interested. But I know gently caress all about that sort of thing. Otherwise, whatever makes sense for "student veteran going onto grad school who might have to become a paramedic/contractor within the next 2 years to pay the bills" is what I'm going for.

Appreciate any feedback y'all can give. Thank you and be well.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 4, 2023

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

TheWeedNumber posted:

idk why i did this but that amazon credit card they offer you is something I put in for (https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Visa/dp/B007URFTYI). Idk why I did it that day but money worries have been on my mind found out my mom has chronic lymphocytic leukemia and it was a weird day. I'm wondering if I can unfire that particular gun but if not, oh well its done.

That said I do want to start doing the credit card deal smarter, at least when I have suitable income to do so.

Current situation as far as CC debt goes
In the spring I'll have my capital one credit card paid off (2.5k limit, just says Rewards on it, looks like a generic one) and my care credit card (balance left on that at time of writing is 4,763.63). But that would be shifting scholarship money/pell grant/student loan money to do so in one shot. Grad school is next as is getting EMT Paramedic and TCCC certified concurrently (even if it slows down the Master's and doctoral degree path) so I can work either at home or abroad if/when I need to step up for me and moms. I have a 50% VA rating that gets me 1,040 USD a month which is how I've been able to pay off my current CC debt regularly/be less of a burden on family.

What I would want from a CC
I don't know. All I know is I plan to take my mother to Copenhagen for christmas as much as I can in the next few years/as finances permit. If some CC has travel benefits I could min/max that would help me get her there, I'm interested. But I know gently caress all about that sort of thing. Otherwise, whatever makes sense for "student veteran going onto grad school who might have to become a paramedic/contractor within the next 2 years to pay the bills" is what I'm going for.

Appreciate any feedback y'all can give. Thank you and be well.

You maybe shouldn't USE credit cards ever, for a while, at LEAST until you have paid off the ones you've got. As to whether it makes sense to proactively cancel the ones you've got, that's a trickier question and I lean "not yet" right now but that's with almost no info to go on.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

CubicalSucrose posted:

You maybe shouldn't USE credit cards ever, for a while, at LEAST until you have paid off the ones you've got. As to whether it makes sense to proactively cancel the ones you've got, that's a trickier question and I lean "not yet" right now but that's with almost no info to go on.

I mean that’s basically all the info you do need right now. It’s that simple. So if the above gets “bro don’t even touch those cards till you paid off your stuff, perhaps ever” without any nuance or path forward, what would get the opposite response?

Also not canceling cards, I don’t even know why you’d suggest that or even think it. That said right now those cards are shoved in a drawer till they are paid off and I have yet to miss a payment.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 4, 2023

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
If you revolving $4.7k (or is it $7.2k??) of debt on credit cards, stop spending money on anything but essentials. Don't take a trip to Copenhagen.

The only reason you should be looking into credit cards is to find one w/ 0% APR for a balance transfer to pay down this debt w/o 20-30% interest.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah a rewards card is not something to think about right now unless you are confident you'll have all your cards paid off in a couple of months.

Think about it like this - the best cash back you'll get is around 5%. Your credit card debt is likely 20-30% APR. Paying those off immediately is a 15-25% savings compared to that measly 5%, which is most usually closer to 2% for general card use.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

extravadanza posted:

If you revolving $4.7k (or is it $7.2k??) of debt on credit cards, stop spending money on anything but essentials. Don't take a trip to Copenhagen.

The only reason you should be looking into credit cards is to find one w/ 0% APR for a balance transfer to pay down this debt w/o 20-30% interest.

I feel like I wasn’t clear. Let me try this again and let’s calm down please, I promise I’m not your usual insane goon popping in to say dumb things and ignore everyone’s advice.

First, we’re talking about two different cards, a capital one card and a care credit card for medical stuff. The latter is being paid off because I had to have scar removal stuff done. That ordinarily is never touched and is there as needed for medical things the VA won’t cover. I make my monthly payments on both and plan to wipe out the debt in the Spring. While that number gets added to student loan debt, at least it’s consolidated into one monthly payment post grad that I can chip away at without losing my shirt. Also, I plan to work in fields that would qualify me for loan forgiveness. Maybe I should be more concerned about that but that’s a subject for the newbie finance thread. Right now it’s not causing me to lose sleep, as long as I’m prudent going forward.

Copenhagen: it’s not a tomorrow thing. It’s not even a next year thing. But figuring out how to use airline miles, when I’m in a financially responsible and viable place was an interest. It will happen when appropriate.

Finally, yes, an impulsive decision was made to put in for a card I don’t loving need rn. Guidance on reneging on that would be great. Otherwise v0v I’m a dumb goon who randomly signed up for an Amazon credit card.

I’m here to get some guidance on proper usage of credit cards and to get some mid-long term advice on their use. Short term is obviously “do not touch them and pay them off.” I knew that before I posted.

I’m here to talk about after. Are you able to assist me with that or not?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Medullah posted:

Yeah a rewards card is not something to think about right now unless you are confident you'll have all your cards paid off in a couple of months.

Think about it like this - the best cash back you'll get is around 5%. Your credit card debt is likely 20-30% APR. Paying those off immediately is a 15-25% savings compared to that measly 5%, which is most usually closer to 2% for general card use.

Thanks fam. I am confident on that front but it’s probably better to come back with a “I paid off the cards in full, now what” post.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TheWeedNumber posted:

Thanks fam. I am confident on that front but it’s probably better to come back with a “I paid off the cards in full, now what” post.

We're just trying to make sure you have a plan. Credit cards can snowball quickly and if you're not 100% confident you'll pay them off monthly, rewards cards can be a trap.

You can still plan for a rewards card, nothing wrong with doing research. If travel is your primary goal, there are options ranging from no annual fee to high annual fee with better perks.

As far as the Amazon card goes, as long as you're responsible with it and paying it off monthly it's a no brainer to keep for Amazon use, no fee and 5% back on all Amazon purchases (assuming Prime). It's just that 5% back is meaningless if you're carrying a balance.

Edit -I'm saying this out of experience, I screwed up when younger and spent like crazy on the Amazon card because "it's free money!"

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I'd feel bad for the people this happens to but I mean I've also seen it work a million times on this board, including for myself.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Medullah posted:

We're just trying to make sure you have a plan. Credit cards can snowball quickly and if you're not 100% confident you'll pay them off monthly, rewards cards can be a trap.

You can still plan for a rewards card, nothing wrong with doing research. If travel is your primary goal, there are options ranging from no annual fee to high annual fee with better perks.

As far as the Amazon card goes, as long as you're responsible with it and paying it off monthly it's a no brainer to keep for Amazon use, no fee and 5% back on all Amazon purchases (assuming Prime). It's just that 5% back is meaningless if you're carrying a balance.

Edit -I'm saying this out of experience, I screwed up when younger and spent like crazy on the Amazon card because "it's free money!"

I definitely appreciate that. I apologize if I came off as anything other than open minded or cooperative. Not trying to be defensive, just felt like I was being misunderstood as the “I’m in debt but it’s cool, gonna pay the first set off and go right back in debt to take momma to Copenhagen before she dies, nbd” guy. This is more “I got my wake up call and I’m getting ready to survive and hope I can do right by moms along the way.”

I graduate with a BA next semester, I’m leaning on my old military experience and requalifying as a EMT and then pursuing paramedic training, just incase I need to work for the both of us while in grad school pursuing that MA and PhD. I definitely have a plan, trust me nothing quite sobers you up like the news I got over the weekend. I will not gently caress up on the finances side of thing, I refuse to.

Ok that peek behind the curtain aside, it sounds like the best thing to do is chill, handle my business, and then report back here and in the newbie financial thread to get on track to handle the whole show once cards are paid of and I’m down to “student loans and living expenses.” Thank you for giving me the feedback everyone. I am taking it to heart even if I may not have reacted perfectly at first.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 4, 2023

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

TheWeedNumber posted:

I’m here to get some guidance on proper usage of credit cards and to get some mid-long term advice on their use. Short term is obviously “do not touch them and pay them off.” I knew that before I posted.

The basics are very simple: don't charge anything to a credit card that you can't afford, and pay every statement in full every month. Otherwise you're losing tons of money to interest and subsidizing rewards for the rest of us.

If you can commit to the above, and you pay off all your debt first, then there are decent reward cards to be had, provided your credit score allows for you to get them. But yeah, maybe it's premature to recommend any of those.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

runawayturtles posted:

The basics are very simple: don't charge anything to a credit card that you can't afford, and pay every statement in full every month. Otherwise you're losing tons of money to interest and subsidizing rewards for the rest of us.

If you can commit to the above, and you pay off all your debt first, then there are decent reward cards to be had, provided your credit score allows for you to get them. But yeah, maybe it's premature to recommend any of those.

Agreed. Will follow up maybe next April on that front at the latest. And even then it’s more of a discussion. I don’t even know if I pull the trigger on anything then. Hoping to be able to make some money overseas with an internship opportunity over the Summer. I’ll know if that’s real by then as well.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Yea, I'd check back after clearing out some debt. You could go 2 ways with this, such as booking a big trip on a card with a large promo bonus (eg. $700 worth of points if you spend $4k in 3 months) or if you want to pay for a trip with points, then looking for a card with good category bonuses that transfer to airlines or something might be the answer. These things change month to month and who knows what new cards will be out by then.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
This is what you have debt on right now?

https://www.carecredit.com/YourTerms/

I'm not getting this card at all, no cash back or rewards as far as I can tell, and a pretty high rate.

What's the capital one card you have?

Maybe try to balance transfer to something with a 0% intro rate and a lower APR if you can't pay it off. I don't think the Amazon card has either (although it is a great no fee card for amazon spending, I have one). But I don't think anyone wants to tell you to run out and get *another* card right now, if you can just pay these off in 5 months.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

TheWeedNumber posted:

All I know is I plan to take my mother to Copenhagen for christmas as much as I can in the next few years/as finances permit. If some CC has travel benefits I could min/max that would help me get her there, I'm interested. But I know gently caress all about that sort of thing.

I was just in Copenhagen last month and it is a wonderful city, but its not cheap. I would say its about as expensive as the large expensive cities in the US (SF, LA, NY). Even if you manage to get enough credit card points to fly for free and get a couple hotel nights comped, those bonuses arent going to be covering even half the total cost of a trip (especially for two people). Additionally, the biggest sign up bonuses will require excellent credit and thousands of dollars of spend that it sounds like you dont have (definitely pay existing debt first).

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

TheWeedNumber posted:

I’m here to talk about after. Are you able to assist me with that or not?

Pay off the full balance monthly, never carry/pay interest on the balance. Once you're there, you look into rewards. If you have a balance, do your best to minimize interest.

It's that simple.

If you find yourself starting to carry a balance month to month it's time to evaluate your financial situation and correct your budgets.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/credit-cards/carecredit-card

quote:

"If you haven’t paid the balance in full by the end of the promo, you’ll owe interest on the entire original borrowed amount, not just the remaining balance."

ooooof fuuuuuck

and laughing about how they phrase this

quote:

The CareCredit Card is certainly an option....

an option

Weednumber, did this card come in the enlistee package along with the camaro? Only half joking, it is extra hosed up if they push this on service members. What a loving predatory rear end world.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Baddog posted:

ooooof fuuuuuck

an option

Weednumber, did this card come in the enlistee package along with the camaro? Only half joking, it is extra hosed up if they push this on service members. What a loving predatory rear end world.

Man that brings me back to working at Best Buy all the people that didn't realize that their "18 month financing" still required them to pay it off in 18 months. In my brief stint as a manager I had a ton of people yelling at my face. Though in their defense, when they apply for it to a 20 year old customer service employee, they're not going into details on the T&C.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Baddog posted:

This is what you have debt on right now?

https://www.carecredit.com/YourTerms/

I'm not getting this card at all, no cash back or rewards as far as I can tell, and a pretty high rate.

What's the capital one card you have?

Maybe try to balance transfer to something with a 0% intro rate and a lower APR if you can't pay it off. I don't think the Amazon card has either (although it is a great no fee card for amazon spending, I have one). But I don't think anyone wants to tell you to run out and get *another* card right now, if you can just pay these off in 5 months.

That's a legacy of when I had lasik treatment and such financed. Good to know its a shitshow! Alright hmmmmmmmmmm.....yeah gonna need to figure out that balance transfer angle it sounds like. I didn't know better way back in 2013-2014.

E: Or just pay it off as planned and reevaluate what to do with this dumb thing

Baddog posted:

ooooof fuuuuuck

an option

i wish it loving came with the charger or the camaro, smdh

As for the Capital One Credit Card, I had it for a long time. I legitimately could not find it among the offerings on the Capital One website that match what I had. That said I was skimming.

It looks like this (cropped the bottom with my name on the bottom left)

And these are the deets on the card itself. If you are wondering why I'm so close to the max....its having to go into that available balance for some reason every month, whether its food, weed, or cab fare that I wasn't expecting. That's why I've been stuck in that holding pattern for almost a decade. The one time I did take a chunk out of it, I found reasons to spend again. other proclivities we're not going to get into that cost a few hundred a pop. it wasn't drugs and its not gambling. and that poo poo's done too.

E: fyi they give all the sailors Personal Financial Management classes right out of bootcamp and before we start our "A" school which is our actual training for our job. When we went to the mall and someone was like "have you heard of the dead sea" I too was among those who was like "you are right, I do have a hard job! I should take better care of my feet! A million dollars? No problem." And when we were walking in Oceanside California and a cute girl (it's always a cute girl) was like "have you ever considered getting a bigger laptop", I too was among those who were like "you know what. You are right boo. I DO NEED A BIGGER LAPTOP."

I was definitely an idiot then. Arguably still today in some areas. But I'm definitely not that anymore. And I am definitely in the mood to brush up on what I should have been doing all this time.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 4, 2023

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

CubicalSucrose posted:

I am adjusting my recommendation from "not yet" to "probably."

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

CubicalSucrose posted:

I am adjusting my recommendation from "not yet" to "probably."

I'm willing to hear you out. Why? And how does this affect me in the long run?

E: Does it matter that is the oldest credit line, apparently at 12 years and counting? Also that creditwise simulator on the capital one website tells me that if i pay off all the credit card debt ($7,474) my score would jump up to 762 (simulated). Does any of that matter?

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 4, 2023

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

TheWeedNumber posted:

I'm willing to hear you out. Why? And how does this affect me in the long run?

You've got a decade+ track record of irresponsible credit card use.

Roseo posted:

Pay off the full balance monthly, never carry/pay interest on the balance. Once you're there, you look into rewards. If you have a balance, do your best to minimize interest.

It's that simple.

If you find yourself starting to carry a balance month to month it's time to evaluate your financial situation and correct your budgets.

That ^

Long-term impact is something like:
- Slightly harder to get approved for additional credit (probably good in the short/medium term).
- Possibly higher interest rates on things like mortgages (seems unlikely to be relevant for you in the short/medium term).

These are relatively minor issues that can be corrected once you spend (somewhat arbitrary like 2 years) without irresponsibly using credit cards, and you can basically nullify all these marginal negative long-term effects within a few years after that with responsible credit card use.

But yeah another thread is probably better overall. Looks like the OP of this thread has some recos.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

CubicalSucrose posted:

You've got a decade+ track record of irresponsible credit card use.

That ^

Long-term impact is something like:
- Slightly harder to get approved for additional credit (probably good in the short/medium term).
- Possibly higher interest rates on things like mortgages (seems unlikely to be relevant for you in the short/medium term).

These are relatively minor issues that can be corrected once you spend (somewhat arbitrary like 2 years) without irresponsibly using credit cards, and you can basically nullify all these marginal negative long-term effects within a few years after that with responsible credit card use.

But yeah another thread is probably better overall. Looks like the OP of this thread has some recos.

Ok. Then the credit cards get locked in a box for 2-3 years and as far as I'm concerned, the problem is solved. And/or use them appropriately (leaning toward "not at all" though). I will not be canceling them but I appreciate why you feel that way. Concur on this is definitely outside of the scope of the thread. Appreciate it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

TheWeedNumber posted:

Ok. Then the credit cards get locked in a box for 2-3 years and as far as I'm concerned, the problem is solved. And/or use them appropriately (leaning toward "not at all" though). I will not be canceling them but I appreciate why you feel that way. Concur on this is definitely outside of the scope of the thread. Appreciate it.

Maybe check that last statement on the care credit card, lets see if you've been paying 30% on the entire original balance for your Lasik for the past decade? Or if its just the balance. Maybe the terms changed at some point.

Still sucks to be paying 1500/year on ~5K, but hopefully you aren't paying 3-4K+/year on the entire original bill.

If its the latter, I'm gonna go against the conventional wisdom and let's look for something you can get away from that asap.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

TheWeedNumber posted:

Don't pay a $39 annual fee on a credit card that's locked away. Just cancel it.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Baddog posted:

Maybe check that last statement on the care credit card, lets see if you've been paying 30% on the entire original balance for your Lasik for the past decade? Or if its just the balance. Maybe the terms changed at some point.

Still sucks to be paying 1500/year on ~5K, but hopefully you aren't paying 3-4K+/year on the entire original bill.

If its the latter, I'm gonna go against the conventional wisdom and let's look for something you can get away from that asap.

That's just the balance. Did some promotional offers related to finishing up the last of my laser tattoo removal and some scar reduction treatments that were super expensive but necessary. That's one that gets zero'd out as quickly as possible.

mrmcd posted:

Don't pay a $39 annual fee on a credit card that's locked away. Just cancel it.

I'm pretty sure that at this point I will be able to use them responsibly. However based on what I've disclosed, everyone in the thread has the right to laugh that notion away. So be it. I've demonstrated a willingness to lock it away. I'm also open to generating that paper trail of "responsible credit card use" once things are paid off and I'm back at a good place. While your post is inching me towards "ok maybe I should cancel it", 39 dollars a year is not that big a deal at all. So why listen? Why pull the plug on my oldest credit line? Why not just turn it around and actually follow through on doing it?

E: also by locked away, in this case I mean shredded, both of them. If I need to use them again, I would have to request a replacement which would take time. Short term risk mitigated on that front.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 4, 2023

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Sure, $39/year in isolation does not matter. But the attitude that small things don't matter in general is exactly how some people get into thousands of dollars of high interest credit card debt.

Forget about your hypothetical credit score and focus on your overall debt and spending.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

drk posted:

Sure, $39/year in isolation does not matter. But the attitude that small things don't matter in general is exactly how some people get into thousands of dollars of high interest credit card debt.

Forget about your hypothetical credit score and focus on your overall debt and spending.

You’ll get no argument from me on that front. Tracking. Thank you so much. I’ll do it right from here on out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TheWeedNumber posted:

You’ll get no argument from me on that front. Tracking. Thank you so much. I’ll do it right from here on out.

You might want to visit the BFC Newbies thread. It's more focused on general financial health, I've learned a bunch from it over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Wait, revolving balance since 2013 on a 30% APR card? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.