Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Vanguard Warden posted:

Sometimes survivors don't really have a choice, if they stop working on the box and run off with an active trap then they have a good chance of dying from their head popping rather than from hooks. At least if you down them and hook them their trap timer is paused while they stay nearby the box they need to finish searching.

Pig players are also generally incentivized to not tunnel out anyone with a trap on their head because the whole point of the trap is to keep them busy. If you tunnel them to death then the trap never did anything. I'll still chase someone off of a box if I spot them on one or hit someone with an active trap into deep wounds as they get unhooked to add 12 seconds of mandatory mending time into the middle of their ticking clock, but if I want to get value out of a trap effectively taking a survivor out of play for awhile then I need to start finding other people to chase and hook.

Yeah, Pig is largely just a standard M1 killer when it comes to chases. There are some tricks with the dash you can do at unsafe loops when people are trying to camp a pallet, faking one direction or the other and then sliding around the other way for the hit, but a lot of survivors know to just run for it as soon as they see you crouch. I usually run Sloppy Butcher on Pig for a slightly better chance of people still being injured when I sneak up to them healing or on a gen or something, but Pig's stealth is so slow that you really need good information perks to ever pull that off. Ultimate Weapon is the best for that due to obvious synergy with screams interrupting boxes and heals for Sloppy Butcher, but Whispers is an old reliable staple if you don't have that.

I have everything except Wesker's and Xenomorph's, I believe. Tried out Coup on Pig and holy poo poo this is a solid-rear end perk. Currently trying out Coup / Pain Res / Deadlock / Fearmonger or mindbreaker or whatever it's called now. Open to criticism on this build, naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Relyssa posted:

I have everything except Wesker's and Xenomorph's, I believe. Tried out Coup on Pig and holy poo poo this is a solid-rear end perk. Currently trying out Coup / Pain Res / Deadlock / Fearmonger or mindbreaker or whatever it's called now. Open to criticism on this build, naturally.

That's a solid build, lacking any info but as long as you don't struggle that one is good. My general build is Nowhere to Hide/Lethal Pursuer/(Gen regression perk), I've had good luck with Pig and Nowhere to Hide as you can stealth towards the gen they often hide behind a bush nearby so you can get them with an Ambush.

I did use Ultimate Weapon on her but as someone said, it felt mean.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Save the Best For Last is very good on her since she needs to be able to run someone down, and in the event the obsession really needs a smack you can dash at them

Whispers single handedly adds a lot of value to her stealth, since you can duck as soon as it lights up, hang out for a sec and creep in

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Medullah posted:

I mean, the timer doesn't click when you're in chase either so if Pig is coming at you you can leave the box and not have to worry about the timer.

Only if the Pig keeps chasing you. If she doesn't the chase will end and you'll have to run back to the box you were on before or to a new one, burning timer time the whole way. If the Pig then repeats that process then you're eventually just hosed.

By default it's 150 seconds of active timer and 12 seconds to search a box. Addons can shift those to 130 seconds of timer and 16 seconds per box or just ~20 seconds per box with the normal timer. At normal survivor running speeds crossing a map like Ormond from any given side to the other in a straight line is about 20 seconds on its own, so running to the nearest boxes in a row is probably somewhere around double that in total. Add everything up and taking the time to heal after you get unhooked (especially if the killer chases your rescuer off to deny We'll Make It) means you're not even going to make it without worrying about the killer at all if you get an unlucky 4-box trap.

Back before I ran an Ultimate Weapon + Face the Darkness build I'd just run Tampered Timer and Crate of Gears when going for head-pops and try to slap someone with an active trap as they got unhooked to trigger their deep wounds for a little more delay before chasing the person who unhooked them away. Whenever I saw the HUD icon of the person with the active timer suddenly go from injured to healthy because they went off and healed somewhere, especially after someone before them had gotten their trap off quickly, I knew that that person was already dead.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Relyssa posted:

Trip report: Wasted two traps on dead on hook survivors (I am bad) but still managed the 4K. Someone had MfT so I think I got some fearmonger value, it's always hard to be sure. Coup might just become a permanent addition to my Pig builds - it just keeps getting me value when someone's heading for a window or pallet and I need just a little extra oomph.

Medullah posted:

That's a solid build, lacking any info but as long as you don't struggle that one is good. My general build is Nowhere to Hide/Lethal Pursuer/(Gen regression perk), I've had good luck with Pig and Nowhere to Hide as you can stealth towards the gen they often hide behind a bush nearby so you can get them with an Ambush.

I did use Ultimate Weapon on her but as someone said, it felt mean.

That was me! It sounds incredibly fun but also I would not feel very good about playing it. What do you tend to use as your third and fourth? Nowhere to Hide/Lethal is always good fun. I tend to stray away from info perks as my usual problem with Pig isn't finding them but closing out the chase, and extra slowdown is always welcome. I also enjoy the Otz-recommended build of Lethal/Devour/Plaything/Pentimento but that one is extremely feast or famine.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

That was me! It sounds incredibly fun but also I would not feel very good about playing it. What do you tend to use as your third and fourth? Nowhere to Hide/Lethal is always good fun. I tend to stray away from info perks as my usual problem with Pig isn't finding them but closing out the chase, and extra slowdown is always welcome. I also enjoy the Otz-recommended build of Lethal/Devour/Plaything/Pentimento but that one is extremely feast or famine.

My "I don't feel like experimenting" build is usually NTH/Lethal/Bamboozle or STBFL/Pop Goes the Weasel, or Jolt if I'm playing a M1 (I swap NTH for Floods of Rage if I take Jolt).

I suck at traditional classes so Bamboozle is great for me.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

My "I don't feel like experimenting" build is usually NTH/Lethal/Bamboozle or STBFL/Pop Goes the Weasel, or Jolt if I'm playing a M1 (I swap NTH for Floods of Rage if I take Jolt).

I suck at traditional classes so Bamboozle is great for me.

For Pig specifically, would you say Bamboozle or Superior Anatomy is better? I am a big Floods enjoyer, though I tend to pair it with Pain Res since I might as well have my scourge hooks work double duty.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

For Pig specifically, would you say Bamboozle or Superior Anatomy is better? I am a big Floods enjoyer, though I tend to pair it with Pain Res since I might as well have my scourge hooks work double duty.

Personally I get more value out of Bamboozle, and more from the blocked vault than the vault speed increase. But I'm also only a very rare Pig player so I'm sure others have ideas.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Wasted two traps on dead on hook survivors (I am bad)

This is the exact reason I'm pissed off that killers don't get to see the hook states of each survivor, and are expected to just remember them. I don't want to use that information to tunnel someone out, I just want to know before I put a trap on a guy that's already dead. :(

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Vanguard Warden posted:

This is the exact reason I'm pissed off that killers don't get to see the hook states of each survivor, and are expected to just remember them. I don't want to use that information to tunnel someone out, I just want to know before I put a trap on a guy that's already dead. :(

Yeah, seriously. I'm absolutely dreadful at remembering who's almost dead, especially if there's a doubling up of anyone.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Just built up to 9k shards and unlocked the Singularity just for the rift challenges, and holy poo poo is this killer fun. Being able to check gens and other objectives with straight up security cameras is fantastic, but then jump-scare teleporting at people through them and gaining stun protection feels amazing. Even just quickly checking the area from high up with a biopod after I down someone and spotting all the dicks with flashlight standing nearby is great.

I still don't know what perks are ideal on this guy yet. Rapid Brutality seems an obvious pick because the idea is to tag and teleport onto survivors rather than chasing them around loops so the loss of bloodlust is meaningless, and with the 5% haste on teleport addon you can briefly have 125% speed for the second hit. I saw someone running Hubris in a clip and exposed when you get hit with a pallet makes a lot of sense when you can eat pallets to the face, but I don't know if that would work if you're hit with a pallet in overclock or only if you're stunned normally.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Sloppy Butcher is good for hit and run, Jolt is always good on m1s, STBFL to make him even stronger in overclock mode. That's my build + Nowhere to Hide which is my mainstay perk on everyone because of how insanely useful it is to find people nearby.

Your ideas are great, to be clear, just sharing the perks I enjoy. I don't have the Alien dlc yet to know if Rapid Brutality is good on him.

I also ran into a singularity using Dead Man's Switch on him which I thought was very clever. After hooking someone, look through your pods to find a gen being worked on. Either they run away or use their EMP if they have one, like usual... but they have to let go of the gen to use it, which causes the gen to get locked by DMS.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 1, 2023

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I think I might just be a piece of poo poo. Only one headpop, the other two were slug deaths.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I USED to be a piece of poo poo. People can change.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P-TOq8v7U

They watched me try this for 2 minutes straight hahaha. Finally accepted it wasn't happening and had to hoof it up the ramp that I defintely knew existed before this match.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
The lowest scorer still got upwards of 15k before offering/queue bonuses so I'd say that was a good match all around.

It's the matches where one of the four spent more time on a hook then on a gen and ended up with four grand and change that I'd suspect someone being of the "I'm not having fun until you're not having fun" mentality.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

BrewingTea posted:

I USED to be a piece of poo poo. People can change.

Glass House. White Ferrari. Live for New Year's Eve. Sloppy steaks at Truffoni's.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

They'd say, "No sloppy steaks." but they can't stop you from ordering a steak and a glass of water!

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Had a tome challenge to hook 6 survivors while using Iron Grasp. No other killer challenges I could do since I don't have singularity, so "ugh I guess I'll do it".

All 4 survivors had Boil Over :getin:

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Sokani posted:

Had a tome challenge to hook 6 survivors while using Iron Grasp. No other killer challenges I could do since I don't have singularity, so "ugh I guess I'll do it".

This is the way...

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Fired up a Pig game, load into a lobby with four Kates, two flashlights, one key. Ready up anyway, bracing for a tough match. All four of them immediately gathered around me, crouched, repeatedly booping the snoot. We then all five of us crouched around the map doing gens, me getting hits in for points, eventually putting all the hats on to make it a proper party. Finish the gens, they leave me a couple items as tribute, and we crouch walk out the gates together.

I've had a bad day at work. I needed this. :shobon:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

Fired up a Pig game, load into a lobby with four Kates, two flashlights, one key. Ready up anyway, bracing for a tough match. All four of them immediately gathered around me, crouched, repeatedly booping the snoot. We then all five of us crouched around the map doing gens, me getting hits in for points, eventually putting all the hats on to make it a proper party. Finish the gens, they leave me a couple items as tribute, and we crouch walk out the gates together.

I've had a bad day at work. I needed this. :shobon:

I had a Ghostface match once like that, we ended up doing a conga line across the map crouch walking. I enjoy fun games like that sometimes.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

While trying out a new build - STBL / Thwack! / Pop / Brutal - had another snoot boop party, this one ended with a slug race as the survivors insisted on it. Thwack! interrupting flashlight blinds at pallets might be my new favorite thing in this game, it's hysterical.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Sokani posted:

This is why I love taking Agitation+Iron Grasp. I had a survivor throwing the whole game fast vaulting into lockers on the second floor of Crotus Prenn Asylum, trying to get her Boil Over/Flip Flop/Unbreakable value. Finally I went up there, downed her, picked her up, and effortlessly carried her to a hook, like "here you go, now cut it out and play the game, dummy".

She killed herself.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Whenever I have a survivor spamming vaults on the edge of the map trying to get my attention with the noise notifications, I always politely inform them at the end of the match after everyone dies that those notifications were letting me know that I didn't need to bother chasing them because they weren't working on a gen. :)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I once had somebody do the run upstairs on Crotus Penn thing for literally ten minutes doing nothing but spamming locker noises. Nonstop, for ten minutes while I ignored them and killed everyone else on the team. Finally I stood below the window (I was Huntress) and just waited. Finally they popped their head out, hatchet to the face

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
was watching back a match I had on my first game with plague since there was a TTV person in it actually live. Seeing/hearing all the survivor communication was interesting and informative. At the very end when they were downed, gate was open, and they crawled to the pallet. Said in a sing-songy voice, "Oh no! I hope they don't approach me near this pallet!"

Meanwhile, I had walked over, moved forward, stopped, moved back, and shook my head at them and their comms burst out laughing. Nice when people can still have fun with game, most times I've watched back a recording the streamer is bitter as gently caress lmao

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

yeah, you either get someone having a good time or genuinely chill, or just a raging rear end in a top hat. No inbetween.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
In case anyone is interested in the dumpster fire that is TCM, here is the latest dish:

- they have still failed to fix a number of glaring bugs since release.
- they still have disabled crossplay and have virtually no anti cheat on PC.
- they have also slowed their pace of updates down so no one even knows when the next update is.
- the PC player population has dropped by 85%.
- they released the first dlc and it is a 16 dollar skin for the one character who is the most miserable to play in the game (leather face).
- in response to the outage of the above, they decided to be transparent and release their pricing models for everything else (10 bucks per new character etc). This ended up with even more outrage.
- they have begun banning/silencing users on their discord who are "too negative".
- they are now removing any posts on Reddit they deem as "repetitive" but all that means is they are removing the near constant posts by the disappointed player base saying that their monetization is bullshit, that the game is still riddled with issues, and that there still isn't crossplay.

Basically this game will be dead pretty quick. Shame too because it had a lot of potential but whatever is happening to it post launch is a huge cluster gently caress.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I have wanted to play it for months now but I don't own a current gen console and PC crossplay is off so I have had zero incentive to actually do it unless I want to join Cheater Quarantine. It sucks because it looked real fun.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I was today years old when I learned a survivor crawling out of the gate with an active Pig hat will escape and not die. I knew they could go through the hatch but the gate, nope

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Bummer that TCM is being mishandled. At newb levels at least, it is fun.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

I was today years old when I learned a survivor crawling out of the gate with an active Pig hat will escape and not die. I knew they could go through the hatch but the gate, nope

Is Pig glitched again or something? Unless I missed a patch note somewhere, an active party hat should kill a survivor trying to leave via the Gates- running, walking, crouching, crawling. Like, going even a few steps past the gate towards the exit should trigger it.

Better Nerf Pig, I guess.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

They can crawl out. This has been the case forever.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

What are folks' thoughts on solo queue builds? I run Distortion/Kindred in pretty much all of my survivor builds, have been experimenting with Kinship/Deliverance as I get tired of being left to hang until the struggle phase. I accept that Kinship is going to get me value very rarely but I'm mostly trying to cover all my bases without needing to worry too much about what everyone else is bringing. It has saved my rear end at least once so far, so it has that going for it. I also enjoy the cheeky Blast Mine/Wiretap combo.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 3, 2023

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Kwolok posted:

In case anyone is interested in the dumpster fire that is TCM, here is the latest dish:

As a counterpoint to all this: I play this on occasion on PC, mostly as leatherface who I enjoy playing.

If there is a sale or a freeplay weekend I recommend trying it, but it does have a higher learning curve than other games.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Relyssa posted:

What are folks' thoughts on solo queue builds? I run Distortion/Kindred in pretty much all of my survivor builds, have been experimenting with Kinship/Deliverance as I get tired of being left to hang until the struggle phase. I accept that Kinship is going to get me value very rarely but I'm mostly trying to cover all my bases without needing to worry too much about what everyone else is bringing. It has saved my rear end at least once so far, so it has that going for it. I also enjoy the cheeky Blast Mine/Wiretap combo.

Alert. Seriously, try it. See the killer's aura every time they kick a gen, pallet, or wall. It's so loving useful in so many ways.

1. Constantly get some idea of where the killer is
  2. As soon as a killer kicks something (which, on maps with breakable walls like Dead Dawg or Silent Hill, they'll often do at the start) you know who they are just from silhouette - or if they're undetectable, thus hiding their aura, you know they're a stealth killer at least, because Alert still makes a sound
  3. Gives you a great idea of whether or not you're safe to keep doing what you're currently doing (okay, the killer kicked something across the map, so even if they come straight here I have enough time to finish this gen/this heal/this totem, I'm safe to do an unhook, etc)
  4. Tells you exactly where a chase is, helpful for avoiding it running into you or, conversely, if you're the kind that wants to interfere with the chase, you better have an idea where it's taking place
  5. Tells you if your teammate is dropping every pallet and turning a certain area into a dead zone
  6. Gives you a good idea of whether or not the killer kicks pallets in chase, period
  7. Tells you if a generator is regressing because the killer kicked it, and its general location, so you can go work on it or at least tap it to stop its regression (or if your teammate hops back on it, now you know where a gen is being worked on)
  8. If a killer comes to your gen and you're hiding behind a rock 15 feet away, tells you when the killer is done kicking it and shows you the direction they're moving in, to let you know if it's safe to go back in (or give you advance warning if they're heading your way)
  9. Due to the above it is invaluable for 3-gens where you need to know when the killer is heading to your gen
  10. Good to have a sound cue in chase for "okay, the killer stopped to break that pallet" because killers can try and fake it by stopping in front of it and looking down

Kindred is, of course, indispensable for solo queue. Exhaustion perks are good too for general survivability in chase if you can find one you like. I run Sprint Burst/Kindred/Alert with a rotating 4th perk depending on my mood or challenge. Favorites include Flashbang, We'll Make It, Visionary, Open Handed, and Inner Healing.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 3, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

curiousTerminal posted:

I have wanted to play it for months now but I don't own a current gen console and PC crossplay is off so I have had zero incentive to actually do it unless I want to join Cheater Quarantine. It sucks because it looked real fun.

My one friend only has it on Xbox so that ended that really quick

It's a shame, it's pretty fun

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tiny Myers posted:

Alert. Seriously, try it. See the killer's aura every time they kick a gen, pallet, or wall. It's so loving useful in so many ways.

1. Constantly get some idea of where the killer is
  2. As soon as a killer kicks something (which, on maps with breakable walls like Dead Dawg or Silent Hill, they'll often do at the start) you know who they are just from silhouette - or if they're undetectable, thus hiding their aura, you know they're a stealth killer at least, because Alert still makes a sound
  3. Gives you a great idea of whether or not you're safe to keep doing what you're currently doing (okay, the killer kicked something across the map, so even if they come straight here I have enough time to finish this gen/this heal/this totem, I'm safe to do an unhook, etc)
  4. Tells you exactly where a chase is, helpful for avoiding it running into you or, conversely, if you're the kind that wants to interfere with the chase, you better have an idea where it's taking place
  5. Tells you if your teammate is dropping every pallet and turning a certain area into a dead zone
  6. Gives you a good idea of whether or not the killer kicks pallets in chase, period
  7. Tells you if a generator is regressing because the killer kicked it, and its general location, so you can go work on it or at least tap it to stop its regression (or if your teammate hops back on it, now you know where a gen is being worked on)
  8. If a killer comes to your gen and you're hiding behind a rock 15 feet away, tells you when the killer is done kicking it and shows you the direction they're moving in, to let you know if it's safe to go back in (or give you advance warning if they're heading your way)
  9. Due to the above it is invaluable for 3-gens where you need to know when the killer is heading to your gen
  10. Good to have a sound cue in chase for "okay, the killer stopped to break that pallet" because killers can try and fake it by stopping in front of it and looking down

Kindred is, of course, indispensable for solo queue. Exhaustion perks are good too for general survivability in chase if you can find one you like. I run Sprint Burst/Kindred/Alert with a rotating 4th perk depending on my mood or challenge. Favorites include Flashbang, We'll Make It, Visionary, Open Handed, and Inner Healing.

100% agreed on Alert, if you're looking for a gen rush build. It's so nice to just sit on a gen and work on it, watching the killer kick the gens repeatedly.

My regular build right now if I'm looking to repair gens is Distortion/Deja Vu/Alert/<Made For This or Resilience>. It's not great if you get caught in a chase, but it's great to power through gens. Nowhere to Hide is still a meta perk, it's amazing how often a killer will kick a gen you were working on, with you hiding right behind it, and then just run off without looking back because they didn't see your aura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Alert is indeed amazing, and I've been a very big fan of it for a long time now. My solo queue build would then look like Distortion/Kindred/Alert/$somefourthperk. I will always run Distortion because of how much info it gives you even if it never procs. You immediately learn if they're running Lethal, BBQ, Nowhere to Hide, etc. Kindred because duh. Still unsure what I want that fourth perk to be. I don't like exhaustion perks but that's my own personal hangups talking. Inner Healing is fun but I am godawful at finding totems and every time I run it the killer also happens to be running penti. I would ideally like this to be a general use build without pigeonholing myself into one specific thing too much.

I might just try to get over myself and run Sprint Burst as the 4th since it's useful in practically every situation.