Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Can't wait for the battle royal mode announcement.

Seriously though, I guess they are trying to bring the new generation to their game that's been in development for a decade, but who are these young kinds that want to play Everquest reloaded? Is that audience larger than the 20-30% of EQ hardliners they're going to lose by shifting like this?

If they are smart they'd lean into the hardcore type playstyle that is extremely popular right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I might've given an "EverQuest but cartoon-y" a shot but not from these clowns lmao

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

that fire beetle is my friend and the flames they painted on his abdomen make him run faster (like jboots, which this game will also have when it launches)

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Looks like discount WoW. Which I guess fits with their gameplay goals now as well.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
Ancient Alpha pledges get you into the 247 test, so away we go.
The new art style is fine, but man this Tarkov style of you die, you're whisked back to a hub and lose all your poo poo is loving terrible for an EQ1 style game where mobs never leash and one link is the difference between life and death. I know they said this is is supposed to drive players to do more testing as their testers were not doing enough because they couldn't turn out content fast enough to keep them engaged, but I find this setup SUPER unappealing. Movement and climbing with their stamina bar feels nice I suppose, but I'd rather play RO with 1x XP than deal with this.

And to be clear Tarkov mode is only for this current test thing to set if it gets more testers actually playing. At which point if it fails, they go back into MMO mode which will only be pre alpha pledgers.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i'm sure this piece of poo poo game with less than a year's worth of development progress despite a decade of funding is going to be a tremendous success when people see the shelled bat with disturbing nipples and crazed eyes

this is the worst piece of MMO concept art i've ever seen and i played every single MMO that came out between 2003 and 2010

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I want to see it in motion first, I appreciate getting weird and stupid with monster designs

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah I mean I definitely dig an exotic and distinctive world, and that bat is certainly distinctive, but feels like it verges more on the "hired a hosed up fetish artist from fiverr" than michael kirkbride on mushrooms inventing the cliff racer

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i hope its eyes bulge out more when you hit it

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I really like the nipplebat

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
LFM bat nipple quest. Why is the drop rate so bad?

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
I assume that bat has 3 eyes because one of those eyes is directly centered on the bridge of the nose.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I understand switching to a more stylised look to save on artists' time and system requirements, but man, that model. :psyduck:

The googly-eyed bat seems perfectly okay for a completely different kind of game. Fortnite, maybe. It certainly doesn't have the og EQ vibes (although it did have plenty of weird critters).

Then again, this is never coming out in a decent state anyhow, but watching it somehow go even more off the rails is interesting.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

r0rb posted:

I assume that bat has 3 eyes because one of those eyes is directly centered on the bridge of the nose.

thank you for pointing this out because i thought it just had loony toon rear end wobbly eyes

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

it's standard for a bat to have 2x the nipples of its average litter size

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Do you think the nipples shoot acid? Or maybe there is a fire bat version that spits nipple fire streams.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

onesixtwo posted:

Do you think the nipples shoot acid? Or maybe there is a fire bat version that spits nipple fire streams.

ROADMAP TO ALPHA

- TO DO: Finish nipple bat emergent gameplay systems

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

onesixtwo posted:

That's a gas bat, so I assume it farts out of its nipples.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

As previously mentioned my Alpha access got me in and they're doing some weird Tarkov style thing to try and get people testing more let's see how we fair.

Alright, I like casters so let's do a Wizard first.

https://i.imgur.com/c2Gpnls.mp4

On second thought, Wizards suck, let's do a Shaman.

Ah yes, our first victory. World looks nice honestly, digging the new artstyle, I feel like my "armor" doesn't really fit the Shaman aesthetic, but eh we're just level 1.

https://i.imgur.com/QOhwrsu.mp4

The rest is just me running around and taking in some scenery for a bit. Honestly I think the new art style is pretty nice overall, just a shame it's 7 years in after investors and pledges were asked to chip in using entirely different material. Also that this late in development is the least amount of races and classes actually playable since like... 4 years ago?

https://i.imgur.com/jtkHlkm.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/NNWZ1JX.mp4

I absolutely cannot stand this Tarkov style of extraction gameplay though, so that's it for me.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
how much did that cost you? asking for a friend

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

shirunei posted:

how much did that cost you? asking for a friend

I believe I gave them $200 yeeeaaars ago, pledges have changed since then though. It looks like the current alpha pledge is $250.

This 247 test is available to Alpha tier, but when they go back to Pre Alpha normal testing that is expected to end.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Well, it kind of looks like Fortnite so maybe they will be able to capitalize on the new audience.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I can’t think of a pair of genres and fanbases less compatible than old-timey Everquest fogeys and Escape From Tarkov twitch streaming sweatlords, other than their proclivity for playing like twelve hours a day

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I dunno, have you seen the EQ raiding scene? Those guys and the Tarkov guys are like peas and carrots

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

the grass snake resisting your spell was my favorite part

Was that snake your same level? even in EQ at level 1 you could kill a lowly snake.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Ehud posted:

the grass snake resisting your spell was my favorite part

Was that snake your same level? even in EQ at level 1 you could kill a lowly snake.

Yeah you can't see in the chat box I clipped to protect my name, I checked the snake and it conned white, so same level.

The level 1 mobs on my Shaman seemed fine? I think that breed of snake is just over tuned.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

is this a real thing from ben dean? it's floating around on reddit and people seem to think it's real, but I can't find a source other than a post on mmorpg.com

quote:

Ben Dean October 12, 2023.

Over the past week, you may have heard rumors of Visionary Realms’ plans for monetizing 247 and the future of Pantheon. We want to address this topic, so you are aware of our actual position and plans and not speculation.

247 was conceived as a means to keep testers engaged for longer periods of time so we could support 24/7 testing and gather the data we needed from a persistent long-running environment. We were aware of its potential to be monetized, and we were equally aware that if we made that decision it would need to be considered carefully and thoughtfully.

We are in a position now where crowdfunding has slowed and there is still a lot of worldbuilding and content to create. Continuing this trajectory is not reasonable. We could continue, and Pantheon would launch, but it would still be a long time from now. We have made huge advances in efficiency and velocity, but its projected launch is still years off at this pace. If we can monetize 247, not only can it potentially earn some revenue, but it can gain positive attention from potential partners to invest in Visionary Realms as a company so that we can launch Pantheon in a more reasonable time frame. So, for the remainder of this year, and potentially into next year, promotions and online content for Pantheon as an MMO will slow as we focus on 247. Everything that is used in 247 is usable content for Pantheon as an MMO, so its development is continuing. We anticipate bringing the MMO client back for testing next year and we aim to bring Alpha pledges in to test 247 in the coming weeks.

We understand the challenges of this decision. We understand that there will be a percentage of Pantheon fans who will be upset. But from responses we are seeing from player activity and feedback almost 2 weeks after 247 testing has started, there is also a good game here and that means a chance at getting the resources Pantheon needs to launch.

If you feel this doesn’t meet your expectations or desires, we understand that, and we will see you once we bring the MMO testing back, planned for next year. If, on the other hand, you want to continue to support the project, we will be sending out a survey next week to gain insight from your perspective. We encourage everyone to participate in the survey, whether 247 is something you are interested in or not. The responses, coupled with the in-game activity datapoints we are gathering will greatly help us in our decision-making process.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
oh hell yeah, we reached the 'MOBA pivot' phase of the kickstarting MMO life-cycle

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Ehud posted:

is this a real thing from ben dean? it's floating around on reddit and people seem to think it's real, but I can't find a source other than a post on mmorpg.com

Yes the monetization thing is legit, this is the email I got today. I was actually coming to this thread to post about it but see I've been beaten to it.

quote:

As you are eligible for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Pre-Alpha testing, you have been sent this survey to help us gather your input on some important decisions to be made for Pantheon and the potential of monetizing the 247 play mode. For further information on the 247 mode and its purpose and goals, please refer to the 247 Detailed Breakdown post. The concept of using this mode to help fund Pantheon is discussed in the 247 and Monetization post.

Project Faerthale was supposed to be a years worth of pencils down, hardwork that went less than nowhere. The past few years is the least anyone has seen of the game since ever pretty much. Can't imagine why funding would've stalled recently.

I'd still love if this game actually came out and followed the ideals it set out too. But now I'm expecting an announcement that they're changing engines from Unity next year and need to refactor everything again, and another class gets cut from PA.

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 17, 2023

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

what the gently caress is 247 anyway? what kind of game could you possibly make using MMO assets and gameplay loops (especially ones that look this awful) besides an MMO?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I knew this game wasn't going to anything even remotely like EQ but I'll admit I wasn't expecting it to be a MOBA battle royale.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sachant posted:

I knew this game wasn't going to anything even remotely like EQ but I'll admit I wasn't expecting it to be a MOBA battle royale.

oh lol. i can't even imagine how the relevant systems would intersect here. grinding grass snakes EQ style to die and start over for ???? benefit? even the freak old backers on the subreddit are jumping ship in droves over this

ed:

well, almost all of them, lmao

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 17, 2023

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Frog Act posted:

what the gently caress is 247 anyway? what kind of game could you possibly make using MMO assets and gameplay loops (especially ones that look this awful) besides an MMO?

A gacha old-school Everquest where every mob that you kill spins a roulette wheel and you can increase the % of cool item drops using Pantheon jewels that are purchased from the ingame store?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i look forward to maxing out my pantheon fortnight rank exclusively via training sand giants onto all of the nerds grinding caimans on the beach

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Frog Act posted:

The gifs posted in this thread are of 247. 247 uses all the same base gameplay of the MMO except they added Tarkov like elements
-You start from a hub and login to a 1 hour session
-You must form parties (even in PvE mode) outside the session in the hub
-You have 1 hour in the zone to do whatever your task is or anything else
-Healers cannot rez, there is no getting around you died from any reason you're out
-You cannot adjust your spell loadout (maybe gear too? I forget) unless you're in the hub
-If you die, you drop all your inventory, equipped items, and are ejected from the session

Personally I find the notion of making exploring excruciatingly punishing, and making it harder to do social things like group to be pretty anathema to the whole purpose of their game, and find the whole mode is super unappealing. But I guess it's driving more player traffic then they were previously getting from testing the same zone/classes for a year straight.

Gymp
Dec 9, 2003

quote:

Nothing like a good, very minor, art reveal 9 years into the making.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

poor cohhcarnage is gonna be so sad

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

MMO Bomb did a nice write up of the whole current situation going on with the game.
https://www.mmobomb.com/yep-i-m-officially-worried-about-future-of-pantheon-rise-of-fallen-now

---

Also man, it's already been 3 years already since they did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDpAxe-ccIA

Which was 2 years after Project Faerthale kicked off:
https://www.pantheonmmo.com/news/producers-letter-october-2020/

quote:

By the end of 2018 we began work on Project Faerthale, which was to incorporate all of Pantheon’s systems into a playable version of the game. It was an ambitious project for our scrappy few, but it was the next logical step. And we went for it. All of 2019 and much of 2020 was used for Project Faerthale.

During that time it became more and more clear that we had to get out of the old client we were using. We needed to move from hardcoded, inflexible implementations to more robust and scalable solutions. Otherwise, we would have needed to come back and redo the work again later – something that our small team could not afford to do.

Good thing they took care of this years ago, and dodged the bullet of having to redo any work, like all of their art assets and environments again. :thinkdorm:

quote:

Pre-Alpha 5 is the culmination of Project Faerthale. By the end of PA5, the game will encompass the actual feel of Pantheon. It includes most systems (there is still a chance that we may need to hold off on some systems for this stage, depending on timing and resources) and it will include a full progression path from 1-50. Even though we want PA5 to offer a full adventuring gameplay experience for Pantheon, it is still a pre-alpha phase. It is not content-complete and all zones outside of big sections of Faerthale are in a grayboxed state. Previously-seen zones like Thronefast and Avendyr’s Pass have been redone to graybox spec to allow for the proper pipeline and optimization.
PA5 is a multi-session phase. Each session will have new features and/or content to test. Due to the updated client and pipelines, development during this phase will be much more rapid than in the past, so there will be substantial differences between builds. For example, Shakeout had 2 available playable classes. The next session will have 4 and include several new systems (more on this later for our pre-alpha testers). Zones will be added over these sessions as well. By the end of PA5 you can expect to see a 1-50 Pantheon experience with all classes available and most systems for launch in place.

3 years later and you can get to level 10 in an extraction mode, in the dev admitted not MMO mode, of this MMO.

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 18, 2023

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Ehud posted:

poor cohhcarnage is gonna be so sad

Isn't he a major investor in the project now? Fools and their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Do they really have so little content? Seems like if you're making EQ style grind, you could add a remort function and it wouldn't take much content to feed the beast more or less indefinitely.