Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They should just make Black Mage 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Just found out about Silk Next Milk aka Milk 2 so yeah go for it

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Vitamean posted:

the next caster will be brand new. it's weapon will be dolls.

So Lulu, but not a black mage?

I'll allow it, but only if the job gear has so many belts that it makes Nomura weep with joy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bloody Pom posted:

I'll allow it, but only if the job gear has so many belts that it makes Nomura weep with joy.

We just got rid of those!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

We just got rid of those!

They've got to go somewhere! Law of equivalent exchange and all that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bloody Pom posted:

Nomura has moved on from belts I think he's a plaid guy now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Nomura has moved on from belts I think he's a plaid guy now.

That's gonna make things weird in Kingdom Hearts 4...

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
They should just make a new colour mage that's like a weird colour.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vitamean posted:

the next caster will be brand new. it's weapon will be dolls.

thats not new thats just puppetmaster

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

HackensackBackpack posted:

Puce mage

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kheldarn posted:

That's gonna make things weird in Kingdom Hearts 4...

They've been moved off belts and onto suspenders and plaid for like 7 years of KH games at this point. Get a new bit.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Endorph posted:

thats not new thats just puppetmaster

fine

crossbows

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Gold Mage, crossover with Warhammer Fantasy

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Vitamean posted:

fine

crossbows

that's ff12 time mage

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This new patch is weird.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rainbow Mage.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Still wanting a psionicist/mentalist job. Psion of the Seventh Dawn. Crystal balls as weapons?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Vitamean posted:

fine

crossbows

Crossbows that shoot belts that debuff enemies.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Belt-chucks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Grayshift posted:

Still wanting a psionicist/mentalist job. Psion of the Seventh Dawn. Crystal balls as weapons?

It's what the psychic job in 10-2 had. Glowing orbs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fushigi Master

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NachtSieger posted:

Crossbows that shoot belts that debuff enemies.

My absurdly specific dream image for a Chemist job is a wrist-mounted, needle/dart-shooting crossbow.

Partially because that'd make for a really cool weapon and aesthetic in general, but also because I think a core visual element of a Chemist job would be cool Mix animations, which would be best done with free hands.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 3, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

*Extremely playing too much Armored Core voice* Raven for next job

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Alphinaud (or maybe Estinian? Both?) Discover NFTs

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Waffleman_ posted:

By Dawntrail we'll have 4 jobs that need Yokai weapons which is as much as they added the last time
Here's a challenge for the Yokai Watch fans (if you exist): given what we already have, which yokai might you expect to be assigned to RPR and SGE?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Waffleman_ posted:

I was seeing some 621 macros in rival wings that made me pretty happy

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Can never figure out if I should wake up early to play the patch or stay up late

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/natus_ffxiv/status/1708975621098123605?t=hifiwGhwkmukQsnGEQkTKw&s=19

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yapping Eevee posted:

Here's a challenge for the Yokai Watch fans: create a game in which Jibanyan gets breast cancer.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Let's unpack this a little bit:
- "the initial comparisons i made were purely what percentage of players engaged with the content according to XIVcollect metrics - others have insisted on other comparisons in their replies to me."
Yeah but your comparisons were bad and wrong. You were wrong to make them, and people were right to correct you with more accurate comparisons.

- "once again i don't think that comparing 48 player24 player savage content and 4 player savage content is fair!"
You were comparing casual, story difficulty content to 4 player savage content, how is that more fair that comparing DRS and criterion?

It's very easy to point at Save The Queen in its entirety while ignoring that it's an amalgamation of not just the field battles, but several large-scale instances (3 story difficulty, with 1 savage version with reduced player requirements) that included the relic story and artifact armor. Eureka and StQ are much more comparable to each other in general

- "you absolutely cannot run a pick-up group for DRS without having some sort of external planning tool on north american servers."
You absolutely could. This is a weird sentence, but I assume by external planning tool you mean something like raidplan.io or toolbox.gg. Anyway, patently false; we were working on DRS right when it came out and certainly none of that existed back then. If you're talking instead about something like the BA organization groups to schedule runs, those existed, sure, but you didn't have to use them. Maybe that's not true nowadays, but I sure as poo poo did successful pick-up groups for DRS back when it came out, though, prior even to release of the proofs of mettle. The only "external planning tool" used was Discord, so that someone who knew the mechanics could explain them and call out what needed to be done.

- "if they would've made criterion closer to extreme difficulty it could be successfully completed using duty finder, but they chose to instead make it savage difficulty."
This is a strange and spurious complaint. Almost nobody in non-JP servers completes hard content using the duty finder, and extremes are no exception.

- "i've seen many people suggesting that criterion is closer to extreme content, and not only do i disagree but the people that developed the content disagree - it's savage content, straight-up."
And yet, there's two versions - criterion and criterion (savage). I think the people that developed the content think that one of those is savage difficulty (the one labeled savage), and the non-savage criterion is... easier. On a difficulty scale, it's harder than extremes and easier than savage content. There's no preexisting term for content that fits between those two levels. If extreme trials are your comfort zone, I can understand why you would label the difficulty level of criterion as "savage" - it's harder than what you're used to! But people who are comfortable with savage trials dub the difficulty of criterion as closer to "extreme" than "savage". There IS a savage version of criterion, but it's not the one you had trouble with.

- "additionally criterion don't provide any rewards for killing mid-bosses... ...criterion doesn't offer any rewards at all for killing 1/3 bosses and that's criminal imo."
This is true, but also the barrier to entry for attempting criterion and repeating attempts is much lower. If you were trying to do a BA run back in the day, you had anywhere between a 30-90 minute wait (depending on whether the instance was fresh and when the last person left BA if it wasn't) before the entrance FATE spawned, AND you weren't guaranteed a spot - if someone else entered the portal you went for, you had to scramble around to try and find one. DRS was easier - you just put together a party of 24 people in PF and go. In CLL/the Dalriada, you have to wait in the zone for a while before it pops, hope to get in, and if there were more than 48 people in the zone trying to enter there was always a chance you'd just get dropped and be stuck either waiting another 90 minutes or having to leave the instance, come back in for a new one, and hope CLL/Dalriada hasn't spawned recently. Not to mention that if you die and aren't resurrected, you're ejected from the instance. Of course even partial success in these circumstances grant rewards, because you can't just trivially try again.

In criterion, you can. There's no forced 30-45 minute wait to enter the instance, you just get a group together and go. Wiping in criterion doesn't eject you from the instance, so you can reattempt bosses right away and make dozens of attempts to clear in the time that a single BA group would spend doing a single attempt.

- "i didn't mention relics but that's a great point ..."
This was by design, though. Outside doing the story requirements to progress the relic initially, all of the relic steps that traditionally were done in bozja by the playerbase for efficiency reasons had alternate ways to progress them. The dev team made the decision that Endwalker relic weapons weren't going to be tied to any specific content specifically to avoid making people feel like they were forced into it to do the relic. That's the point of the "boring" cost - 1500 tomestones per relic step, acquire however you choose, instead of "grinding out 2000 FATEs across 3 different zones" or "slam DRN 75 times". They specifically didn't feel the need to shove anything into variant dungeons because, as above, the barrier to entry is extremely low. It only takes 4 people and there is no setup required, you can learn all the mechanics by bashing your head against them until you figure out a strat that works.

There is no "content longevity" problem nor a need to specifically plan for it. You want to do criterion six months/a year from now? Great, find three other people and go do it. It's a 50% lower bar than doing EXs.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Not gonna read all that but if you're talking about Delubrum Reginae Savage it is, in fact, 48 people.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Nothing good gets posted on patch day

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

This is all well thought and and well said and I appreciate it but also you can easily rebuke Frida's points with

"Person running community built entirely around ferrying people through one specific piece of content very adamant that other content is actually bad and no one wants to do it and you should want to join their group instead."

It explains away all their weird assumptions and complaints like it being harder to find a group for it or learn it without using outside help while also running a group made specifically cause finding people to clear BA is hard and learning it without most of the group knowing what to do already even harder.

Martman posted:

Not gonna read all that but if you're talking about Delubrum Reginae Savage it is, in fact, 48 people.

It's actually 24 min 48 Max.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's actually 24 min 48 Max.
I guess so but it doesn't scale up player strength with smaller groups does it? Maybe I'm forgetting

e: oh I guess the first part with slimes and golems doesn't scale in any way but the rest will scale to be appropriate for 24 people. Still if you're getting a bunch of first timers together that first part would be pretty scary

Martman fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 3, 2023

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Yapping Eevee posted:

Here's a challenge for the Yokai Watch fans (if you exist): given what we already have, which yokai might you expect to be assigned to RPR and SGE?

EDIT: Okay, I just went down a Fandom rabbit hole and there are like a billion of these guys and some of them are hilarious.

Look at this Johnny Five-Aces deer.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 3, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Martman posted:

I guess so but it doesn't scale up player strength with smaller groups does it? Maybe I'm forgetting

e: oh I guess the first part with slimes and golems doesn't scale in any way but the rest will scale to be appropriate for 24 people. Still if you're getting a bunch of first timers together that first part would be pretty scary

Yeah I'd say that's also true of BA though. And to an extent Criterion stuff but that has the added benefit of just resetting you to the start of the current fight in non-savage mode.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it was actually crazy funny how delubrum had scaling from the word go, before they even let you queue in with less than 48, and the only way people found out was by going in with a full stack and having half the group immediately bail.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
my favorite yokai watch yokai is gachadokuro, which is just a gashadokuro with a gacha machine

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Anybody have any good guides about maintaining GCD uptime on BLM? I am stuck around ~90% pretty consistently but I just can't seem to get above that. A lot of my downtime is just adjusting to mechanics/PF so maybe I just need to put in the hours?

Edit: If the answer is study XIVAnalysis I'm already there but I could use some pointers about what to look for.

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Yeah I'd say that's also true of BA though. And to an extent Criterion stuff but that has the added benefit of just resetting you to the start of the current fight in non-savage mode.

BA, CLL, and Dalriada all scale in some way based on the size of the group. Optimally, now, DRS is easiest with 24 players because the only thing that really changes is the HP on enemies and people figured out the slime cheese long ago for the initial golem/slimes check. CLL/Dalriada have the mega echo buff for undersized instances but this puts the scaling in a weird spot where you're actually worse off having just enough people to avoid the echo than you would be if one fewer person joined. BA periodically rescales the instance at a minimum one time that I know of for sure but probably more frequently, because BA expects you to lose people and will reduce the DPS checks accordingly.

This is all well thought and and well said and I appreciate it but also you can easily rebuke Frida's points with

"Person running community built entirely around ferrying people through one specific piece of content very adamant that other content is actually bad and no one wants to do it and you should want to join their group instead."

It explains away all their weird assumptions and complaints like it being harder to find a group for it or learn it without using outside help while also running a group made specifically cause finding people to clear BA is hard and learning it without most of the group knowing what to do already even harder.

Honestly I didn't even really look at the person I was responding to. Well, I can't take back the effort I already spent!