Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kyrosiris posted:

I'd imagine they'd probably start off not wanting to piss said possible-demon-from-hell off? Which, dunno about you, but I would be by an obvious "we have room but not for you" attitude.

Sounds to me a more sensible attitude would be cautious appeasement with a worried "phew, thank gently caress that's over" after they're out of earshot. :shrug:

Yeah I don't think even in this desperate framing of a literal know nothing potato turned rural innkeeper makes sense because if you think that tiefling you met is a literal honest to God devil, do you think they're gonna take impolite no as an answer? I mean I'd honestly be impressed by the person who's ignorance and racism overrides their fear of this thing eating their soul if they displeased it.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

YggdrasilTM posted:

If It's a general behaviour of the population, sure. If it's just some individuals, why? It IS within the range of possible reactions. If I go in an elven city and some innkeepers are racist against my human PC and refuse to let me sleep in their inn, for example, the GM should have made clear in session zero?

Because people being racist/sexist/etc against you still feels lovely, even if objectively you know this is just a particularly bad outlier. Even if you don't do full lines/veils with it, you should still know your players well enough that you're confident that the way you're having that innkeeper be racist is going to be a character moment and not just something that made the rest of your game night really awkward.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's funny because my GM that's doing Abom Vaults with aforementioned pixie and her crew said a similar thing about "people may be curious or hostile because y'all are Weird™" and the worst we've got has been the surly old sheriff being more hostile when we strolled in looking for work and asking if I was "the end of the freak circus" or not as I was leaving. :v:

I guess Otari's close enough to Absalom that it's not a total hick backwater though. :shrug:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Again, there's no need to make up new hypotheticals on when it's cool to have racism in the game when we're talking about the specific example posted up thread where this is not the case at all.

And like, nobody said that fiction or RPGs should never depict racism or have racism as a setting element, just that you shouldn't tell a player that their character "won't face unpleasant treatment" while turning around and cackling "oh so you want to be a special snowflake? That means I get to be racist. :twisted: Enjoy being special now."

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Kyrosiris posted:

I'd imagine they'd probably start off not wanting to piss said possible-demon-from-hell off? Which, dunno about you, but I would be by an obvious "we have room but not for you" attitude.

Sounds to me a more sensible attitude would be cautious appeasement with a worried "phew, thank gently caress that's over" after they're out of earshot. :shrug:

I mean that's the sort of "we don't serve your kind" stuff I called out as being obviously crass. That's not a reaction from someone fearful, that's a reaction from someone hateful who wants to leverage a perceived power over someone else.

It's also just really overt to the point of not actually being that realistic. Even racist dicks in the modern day would just lie and say that they're full up.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Impermanent posted:

Baldur's gate 3 is making a killing right now precisely because it understands that "campy bisexual elf vampire with trauma" is the minimum of fantasy nonsense a player wants to have going on with their character.

Though the writing does kind of have the same problem in reverse regarding playable versus non-playable "monstrous" races: the former (most notably tieflings) count as people and so killing them is bad, but the player is led to massacre communities of the latter unless they choose a textually evil alternate path.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ok, well, the histrionics have started. See ya.

You're the clown having a meltdown about a completely imagined issue and we're the histrionic ones? gently caress outta here, dude.

gtrmp posted:

Though the writing does kind of have the same problem in reverse regarding playable versus non-playable "monstrous" races: the former (most notably tieflings) count as people and so killing them is bad, but the player is led to massacre communities of the latter unless they choose a textually evil alternate path.

To be fair, the goblins in the camp all revel in murder and just generally being total bastards to everyone else. You're not going and stomping a goblin settlement with women and children into the dirt--the goblins you fight are a roving warband. You can also kill their leaders and leave the rest alone.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 3, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

You're the clown having a meltdown about a completely imagined issue and we're the histrionic ones? gently caress outta here, dude.

To be fair, the goblins in the camp all revel in murder and just generally being total bastards to everyone else. You're not going and stomping a goblin settlement with women and children into the dirt--the goblins you fight are a roving warband. You can also kill their leaders and leave the rest alone.

Yeah you can actually end things on relatively fine terms with some of the goblins and in fact, spare the lives of some of them later when you're given control over their fate from another group of lovely rear end in a top hat leaders they fall under.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mycot posted:

But what everyone is leaving out is that in the original story the GM DID let the player play that character, he just made every NPC racist. That's why it feels like someone trying to mete a "clever" punishment for the crime of trying to be special. If you don't want someone to play something other than human or pointy-ear human, just veto the character.

This is quite literally the reason the tags work like they do! Rare and uncommon things are literally rare and uncommon in golarion, but are generally also tagged that way for either access reasons, less balancing passes on the content, severe story implications, or tendency to short-circuit challenges.

In golarion proper there’s speciesism and xenophobia and bigotry, and some people would absolutely be lovely, though usually only ever in worldbuilding because it’s kinda not great to stick in an AP

It’s up to the GM to decide if they want to run that version of the world though, and whether individual NPCs will range from hateful to fearful to curious, and if they do, to tell their players that they’re doing so explicitly, not by springing being fantasy rosa parks on the dude who just wants to play a robot and didn’t realize he was gonna be reenacting the civil rights movement

Jen X fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 3, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The bit in the Season of Ghosts player's guide where you're rewarded for being bickering siblings with another PC by getting a +1 save bonus whenever they fail a save is very good

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Jen X posted:

This is quite literally the reason the tags work like they do! Rare and uncommon things are literally rare and uncommon in golarion, but are generally also tagged that way for either access reasons, less balancing passes on the content, severe story implications, or tendency to short-circuit challenges.

In golarion proper there’s speciesism and xenophobia and bigotry, and some people would absolutely be lovely, though usually only ever in worldbuilding because it’s kinda not great to stick in an AP

It’s up to the GM to decide if they want to run that version of the world though, and whether individual NPCs will range from hateful to fearful to curious, and if they do, to tell their players that they’re doing so explicitly, not by springing being fantasy rosa parks on the dude who just wants to play a robot and didn’t realize he was gonna be reenacting the civil rights movement

I know Golarion's been through a lot of revisions (ex, IIRC flat out removing slavery as a concept recently.) I wonder how much of that bigotry is from the grungier 1E days and how much is freshly produced for 2E.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If they didn't want me to commit mass murder they should have used milestone leveling.

I feel like my reasoning is more than morally sound.

But yeah. Man I might try running Season of ghosts it seems pretty cool.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

YggdrasilTM posted:

If It's a general behaviour of the population, sure. If it's just some individuals, why? It IS within the range of possible reactions. If I go in an elven city and some innkeepers are racist against my human PC and refuse to let me sleep in their inn, for example, the GM should have made clear in session zero?

uhh I mean we had someone in this thread already express it was a hard line for them and it's... something people deal with in real life and maybe don't want intruding on their fantasy time. So yes, I think it's maybe worth talking about, even if you're not planning to use it often.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Kyrosiris posted:

It's funny because my GM that's doing Abom Vaults with aforementioned pixie and her crew said a similar thing about "people may be curious or hostile because y'all are Weird™" and the worst we've got has been the surly old sheriff being more hostile when we strolled in looking for work and asking if I was "the end of the freak circus" or not as I was leaving. :v:

I guess Otari's close enough to Absalom that it's not a total hick backwater though. :shrug:

Otari is very specifically described as a town where Pathfinders go to retire in AV which would imply to me that a number of locals aren't going to be too phased seeing a merry band of misfits stroll into town, even if it's not an everyday occurrence for them.

Chevy Slyme posted:

The beginning of Sky King's Tomb has the characters doing level 1 dipshit odd jobs around town, and one of them is dealing with a Knight of Lastwall who happens to be a half orc, and the intended resolution is that you overcome dwarven racism and help this noble half orc recruit some strong warriors to go off and fight tar baphon.

Our all-dwarven party completely misunderstood the asignment and turned the racism up to 11 and basically ran him out of town pitchforks in hand.

We just did this quest the other day and we didn't get the element of dwarven racism at all, our GM played the hostility off as people finding the Knights of Lastwall annoying and preachy...

YggdrasilTM posted:

I think it's something you should discuss with your players beforehand, yeah. Racism and discrimination are things people deal with on a daily basis and would sometimes rather catch a break from if they're just trying to play a fun game, but everyone's limits and comfort zones are different in that regard.

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 3, 2023

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

sugar free jazz posted:

the choice of picking an ancestry for non mechanical reasons disgusts me.

I pick my ancestries/heritages primarily based on my need to have darkvision on all of my PCs. Are you proud of me, dungeon daddy.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I hate darkvision so much on PC's. Any ancestry that see's the sun ever shouldn't have anything above low-light vision. Going to the surface should just burn anyone's eyes with darkvision. I kind of want to remove it from my games but that's just a blatant weakening of a bunch of ancestries in the game and I wouldn't know how to compensate for it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I have never seen such hate for darkvision before in my life.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

It's the worst, it just completely destroys the fantasy of a dark and dangerous dungeon to me. Also, it usually ends up with the party being like 4/5 darkvision and one human without it so I just end up giving the human darkvision goggles because the rest of the party doesn't care about lighting.

I did make darkvision black and white all the time, even in full light so I'm going to do a bunch of stuff with color illusions I think.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

gurragadon posted:

I hate darkvision so much on PC's. Any ancestry that see's the sun ever shouldn't have anything above low-light vision. Going to the surface should just burn anyone's eyes with darkvision. I kind of want to remove it from my games but that's just a blatant weakening of a bunch of ancestries in the game and I wouldn't know how to compensate for it.

I doubt whatever you'd give them as compensation for losing darkvision would break your game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

gurragadon posted:

It's the worst, it just completely destroys the fantasy of a dark and dangerous dungeon to me. Also, it usually ends up with the party being like 4/5 darkvision and one human without it so I just end up giving the human darkvision goggles because the rest of the party doesn't care about lighting.

I did make darkvision black and white all the time, even in full light so I'm going to do a bunch of stuff with color illusions I think.

You know there's other 'dungeons' then a dark cave right?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

gurragadon posted:

:dogstare: ok then

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You know there's other 'dungeons' then a dark cave right?

Yes, but I'm not sure why it matters. I like to run mega dungeons that are dark and darkvision trivializes the darkness. Any surface ancestry, or ancestry that spends time on the surface would use torches and magical light underground for there buildings that weren't abandoned.

SilverMike posted:

I doubt whatever you'd give them as compensation for losing darkvision would break your game.

I'm less worried about it being too strong than being too weak so people wouldn't want to pick that ancestry anymore. I was thinking giving natural ambition to every ancestry with darkvision but I'm not sure. It seems like that would just make everything to similar.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

gurragadon posted:

Run your party through a dungeon filled with luminescent crystals that radiate light not visible on humanity's spectrum. Mechanically, it's inverse darkness. Regular vision can see fine ("it's just glowing crystals, what's the problem"). Low-light vision treats everything as dim light, as the glint from the crystals makes everything beyond 30 feet blinding. Darkvision is completely overwhelmed; PCs will need portable shade or sunglasses to see anything at all, and even that will only let them see little beyond their own hands and feet.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I agree that darkvision can be a PITA if you have a party split between havers and not-havers. But yeah, not every dungeon needs to be dark. Darkness is a "sometimes food."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Froghammer posted:

Run your party through a dungeon filled with luminescent crystals that radiate light not visible on humanity's spectrum. Mechanically, it's inverse darkness. Regular vision can see fine ("it's just glowing crystals, what's the problem"). Low-light vision treats everything as dim light, as the glint from the crystals makes everything beyond 30 feet blinding. Darkvision is completely overwhelmed; PCs will need portable shade or sunglasses to see anything at all, and even that will only let them see little beyond their own hands and feet.

Hmmm. This would be a fun mechanic for like a dungeon or area made by a group of humans who loving hated elves or some other creature/ancestry with dark/low light vision.

I am going to steal the poo poo out of this.

Usually to gently caress with darkvision in the rare rare time when I want to have stuff be actually dark I just make the darkness generated by a macguffin of magical darkness. Once they find what is generating it in the area it can be turned off.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Doing away with darkvision so the npcs can't see the players and be racist to them.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Dexo posted:

Hmmm. This would be a fun mechanic for like a dungeon or area made by a group of humans who loving hated elves or some other creature/ancestry with dark/low light vision.

I am going to steal the poo poo out of this.

Usually to gently caress with darkvision in the rare rare time when I want to have stuff be actually dark I just make the darkness generated by a macguffin of magical darkness. Once they find what is generating it in the area it can be turned off.
It's neat trick to pull Exactly Once in a campaign. Darkvision's an edge case because it's usually tacked on for free rather than something the PCs seek out, but in general players that take options that let them be good at something expect to be rewarded for being good at said things. Pulling a "SURPRISE everyone who's good at something is now bad at it and vice versa" gets old very, very quickly.

A weirdo inverse gravity dungeon where everyone can fly except for the flying PCs (who now have to walk) feels extremely bad for the person who built their character to be able to fly, because they wanted to be able to fly.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Froghammer posted:

It's neat trick to pull Exactly Once in a campaign. Darkvision's an edge case because it's usually tacked on for free rather than something the PCs seek out, but in general players that take options that let them be good at something expect to be rewarded for being good at said things. Pulling a "SURPRISE everyone who's good at something is now bad at it and vice versa" gets old very, very quickly.

A weirdo inverse gravity dungeon where everyone can fly except for the flying PCs (who now have to walk) feels extremely bad for the person who built their character to be able to fly, because they wanted to be able to fly.

oh obviously it's not an every time thing, I just actually like the mechanic, and think it could be the basis of some interesting narrative/world storytelling for a specific place.

Like every dungeon I make doesn't have a magical darkness macguffin.

Lamuella posted:

Doing away with darkvision so the npcs can't see the players and be racist to them.

But but I really really don't see color, everything is greyscale down here :smith:

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Froghammer posted:

I'm gonna use this at some point, maybe something with the first world and a bunch of weird rooms with a gimmick involving light in them. It would be tough with something like a lurker in light. I need to get vision tricks for regular, low light and darkvision so nobody feels like they are being singled out. I was thinking about a chimerical color test for darkvision as well and hand out a greyscale handout to my darkvision characters and a full color one to the other players.

Edit: I was thinking about asking which color was the "darker" color for regular vision people. It can be hard to tell if you see in color but converted to greyscale it's easy to see which is darker.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
AV has a section or two that is actually significantly easier if the party has a light source. Those fights were close enough that if my party all had darkvision I'm pretty sure they'd be dead. I really like how it messes with the assumption that everyone needs darkvision during a dungeon crawl.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

KPC_Mammon posted:

AV has a section or two that is actually significantly easier if the party has a light source. Those fights were close enough that if my party all had darkvision I'm pretty sure they'd be dead. I really like how it messes with the assumption that everyone needs darkvision during a dungeon crawl.
gently caress that Voidglutton. That guy's an rear end in a top hat.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

The Sky King’s Tomb Player’s Guide specifically says that you should probably have a light source when adventuring in the Darklands, even if the whole party has darkvision.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I have a very special weapon that casts Final Fantasy style Darkness on targets. Literally bubbles of magical dark on their eyes.

Alas, everything I've applied this to successfully to date has darkvision.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Clerical Terrors posted:

I pick my ancestries/heritages primarily based on my need to have darkvision on all of my PCs. Are you proud of me, dungeon daddy.

:haibrower:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Froghammer posted:

gently caress that Voidglutton. That guy's an rear end in a top hat.

We just hit that guy last session, and had to end the night with the encounter unresolved. I'm not sure our group has any way to deal with at-will heightened darkness.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

gurragadon posted:

I sympathize with this position

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Enos Cabell posted:

We just hit that guy last session, and had to end the night with the encounter unresolved. I'm not sure our group has any way to deal with at-will heightened darkness.

You absolutely do. It is called running the gently caress away and not coming back until you have a higher level light spell.

Edit: Wrin can sell a scroll of level 5 light for 150 gold if you don't want to wait.

Edit 2: I was actually thinking of enemies with light blindness originally. Getting one round of blind and the entire encounter dazzled is a huge boon.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 3, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

You absolutely do. It is called running the gently caress away and not coming back until you have a higher level light spell.

Edit: Wrin can sell a scroll of level 5 light for 150 gold if you don't want to wait.

That seems to be the group consensus at this point.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

running away is a good way to deal with things, unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah in my AV campaign we’ve run away multiple times in a night. Literally leave Otari at like 7am game-time back at 9am to rest up and I imagine it’s real embarrassing for the “heroes”.

Haven’t ran into the spoiler thing yet though I don’t think but we got hella hosed by splitting blob monsters at the bottom of a trash chute or something since we had no bludgeoning damage except for punching and no aoe spells. And of course they’re immune to rogue anything. No wonder Otari died.