Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zorba the Greek. Lol they made that dance the gently caress up for this movie, and now everybody in Greece dances it for tourists like it's a centuries-old tradition? That's like finding out the hula didn't exist until Elvis did those movies in Hawaii

Anyway good movie, kind of a proto Call Me By Your Name in shape at least. I guess the crux of the story, or at least the bit I found most memorable:

- What good are all your drat books if they can't explain why people suffer and die?
- Well, they tell us of the agony of men who can't answer those kinds of questions.
- gently caress you and gently caress your agony

Which I'm not totally sure what to do with; I dunno if it's anti-intellectualism or just a primal scream of pain (after all the death he's reacting to happens because of small-mindedness and superstition). Maybe both. Either way it's yet another character archetype among many for a generation to have picked from as role models, and it's fun and a little harrowing to think what audiences today would take from it. Better this self-centered but ultimately harmless and genial raconteur than your cavalcade of modern conmen and sociopaths whom people interpret as heroes of destiny, maybe a kind of precursor of them? I dunno

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The history of the Seattle mariners Baseball stats and stories are better than watching a game on tv. Love the charts and weird stuff Mariners do. This has converted me to a fan.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I hated No Hard Feelings more than any other movie in recent memory. Just a slew of lovely characters, zero chemistry between JLaw and the nerd, mediocre acting, topped off with a morally gross story with very little actual comedy to redeem said story. I have no idea how this thing got over 70% at RT.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

checkplease posted:

The history of the Seattle mariners Baseball stats and stories are better than watching a game on tv. Love the charts and weird stuff Mariners do. This has converted me to a fan.

Jon Bois rules and he just wrapped one up a sequel on the Minnesota Vikings

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Jon Bois's doc, The Bob Emergency, is an incredible sports documentary

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I watched Bob Emergency also. Great stuff, lots of cool bobs I didnt know.

I should change the name to one of my kids to Bob if they become an athlete. Or does being a Bob first guide one to athletic success…

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

weekly font posted:

Jon Bois rules and he just wrapped one up a sequel on the Minnesota Vikings

As an Atlanta fan, I’m tempted to watch his history of Atlanta falcons next. But some bad game memories I would have to relive..

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

they avoided even suggesting who the "enemy" power was

*NATO-adjacent
*Advanced military technology
*”Secret” nuclear program

Pretty sure it’s Israel?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The Adjustment Bureau - That's not what the dark ages were, you morons! Also nice Eurocentrism. gently caress your 3rd grade understanding of history. Whoever wrote this script should be publicly shamed. Also minus 10 points because there was no Men Without Hats on the soundtrack.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Clipperton posted:

*NATO-adjacent
*Advanced military technology
*”Secret” nuclear program

Pretty sure it’s Israel?

Ah right, I should have been able to infer that from the snowy Lake Tahoe winter scenery

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Israel has snow sometimes!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Parasite - I held off on this one because I somehow got it in my head that it was going to be a supernatural horror movie. People were making jokes comparing it to Encanto because of the guy living in the walls, but I was only half listening and assumed that meant that the house was alive and that "parasite" referred to anyone living inside of it. Turned out to just be an extremely dark sitcom. I'm glad I didn't see it in the theater because I was laughing so hard at the bloody climax that I probably would have bothered somebody else who was busy being shocked.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

mad god

man... i respect how much effort obviously went into making this but JESUS CHRIST it was an absolute chore to watch. every 10 minutes felt like an hour.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
With the name and some of the discussion at release I also thought parasite was a horror which isn't my thing. Glad I gave it a shot after the hype, fantastic film.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Creator (2023)

A beautifully-realized setting chockablock with robots that is nonsense as a commentary on AI, but that's okay because it's a solid delivery vehicle for sneering fascists denying that their victims are people shortly before being exploded. Unfortunately, the main throughline with the soldier and the kid is heavily retrod territory done much better elsewhere, including by the protagonist's father. I think I liked this, but some of that is probably affection for original sci-fi making it into a theater.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

The Creator (2023)

A beautifully-realized setting chockablock with robots that is nonsense as a commentary on AI, but that's okay because it's a solid delivery vehicle for sneering fascists denying that their victims are people shortly before being exploded. Unfortunately, the main throughline with the soldier and the kid is heavily retrod territory done much better elsewhere, including by the protagonist's father. I think I liked this, but some of that is probably affection for original sci-fi making it into a theater.

Does it have a lot of HUGE stuff in it? IMO Edwards is the champ at making things (eg Godzilla, AT-ATs) look HUGE

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Clipperton posted:

Does it have a lot of HUGE stuff in it? IMO Edwards is the champ at making things (eg Godzilla, AT-ATs) look HUGE

There's some huge stuff in it, like a giant tank, and it's pretty good, but I don't think its size is sold as well as the stuff you mention. I loved his Godzilla and really liked Rogue One and I don't think this is as good as either.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dark City Blows the Matrix outta the loving water. Set and costume design is on loving point. Connelly is smoking hot. Kiefer, Sewell, and Hurt are going for it. The mystery is both complex and at it's core simple rather than convoluted Lost style babble.

If you're ever in a situation where someone says "Let's watch the Matrix" simply whip out your piece, press it against their temple, and enjoy your hours of Dark City and Megazone 23 instead, safe in the knowledge that your actions are fully justifiable and morally good.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Dark City Blows the Matrix outta the loving water.

interesting you post this today. i've been going to my local library to borrow movies that aren't available on streaming and to feel the nostalgia of looking at a wall of dvds to choose from instead of a streaming service wall of icons and autoplaying commercials.

i noticed dark city on the shelf among all the movies surrounding it and just felt the urge to grab it. haven't seen it in years and i'm excited to revisit it.

i grabbed the director's cut btw

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hilariously, Dark City was also filmed in Sydney, and the Matrix reused some of their sets.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

interesting you post this today. i've been going to my local library to borrow movies that aren't available on streaming and to feel the nostalgia of looking at a wall of dvds to choose from instead of a streaming service wall of icons and autoplaying commercials.

i noticed dark city on the shelf among all the movies surrounding it and just felt the urge to grab it. haven't seen it in years and i'm excited to revisit it.

You'll probably see some more talk of it around. Criterion put it up on their streaming as part of their Technoir collection.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I've slept on Terry Gilliam's Brazil for too long. Incredible

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Dark city is definitely cool but sadly has no wire kung fu. Glad it’s on criterion though as I haven’t watched it in 15 years at least.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Dark City Blows the Matrix outta the loving water. Set and costume design is on loving point. Connelly is smoking hot. Kiefer, Sewell, and Hurt are going for it. The mystery is both complex and at it's core simple rather than convoluted Lost style babble.

If you're ever in a situation where someone says "Let's watch the Matrix" simply whip out your piece, press it against their temple, and enjoy your hours of Dark City and Megazone 23 instead, safe in the knowledge that your actions are fully justifiable and morally good.

That opening narration is a crime against humanity though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Simplex posted:

That opening narration is a crime against humanity though.

Also cut from the directors version

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Saltburn (Emerald Fennel, 2023)

My first film of this year's London Film Festival, though I didn't actually see it in London (my local arts cinema had a satellite screening).

Yeah, this was a mess. Very funny in places, but as I was expecting, the class politics the upper class Fennel includes were very confused and all over the place - eventually just come out on the side of the ruling class - who are underneath kind and generous, unlike the unworthy working class.

Some very badly misjudged scenes which really didn't work, and the attempt at a twist ending like Promising Young Woman, which I enjoyed and think worked well, felt a bit obvious here - I had been expecting it for the last 20 minutes.

It also needed 15 minutes trimming from the ending which felt like it went on for half an hour, though we do see an extended sequence of Barry Keoghan fully hanging dong - forget the speculation about Cillian Murphy in Oppenheimer, Barry's the real deal here.

Richard E Grant and Rosamund Pike were great though.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

pretty sure i made a big mistake revisiting this version of the movie after not having seen (the theatrical cut, probably) since i was a teenager. maybe neither version would work for me at this point, but this was very hard to sit through.

dark city - 1.5/5

interesting concept that would work if the budget and (more importantly) the plot were as strong as the filmmakers' ambition.

ultimately, there's nothing here to hang onto except a dark/creepy sci-fi environment/vibe. if you're a ln unabashed fan of those things alone, this is likely a great cult classic for you.

if you appreciate a gripping narrative with interesting characters to root/hope for, then there's really nothing here at all.

Gaius Marius posted:

Set and costume design is on loving point.

only point here i agree with

Gaius Marius posted:

Connelly is smoking hot.

this doesn't make up for the fact that she has basically nothing interesting to do narratively except be a macguffin/object for the protag

Gaius Marius posted:

Kiefer, Sewell, and Hurt are going for it.

kiefer is camping it up just enough. sewell is a cardboard cutout. and hurt is actively bad in this.

you neglected to mention richard o'brien who's the real star here.

Gaius Marius posted:

The mystery is both complex and at it's core simple rather than convoluted Lost style babble.

i found the mystery to be banal and toothless. even without the exposition at the beginning of the DC, we're still exposed to the "mystery" around the halfway point, and there's nowhere to go from there. the resolution is unsatisfying bc the characters are empty shells (almost literally) and there's nothing to root for.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 5, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Yeah the floating midair psychic brain fight wasn’t quite as captivating as principal actors kicking the poo poo out of each other after practicing with Hong Kong stunt pros for 6 months.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Yeah the floating midair psychic brain fight wasn’t quite as captivating as principal actors kicking the poo poo out of each other after practicing with Hong Kong stunt pros for 6 months.

literally all i could think of the whole time was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Tj_l4PcPs

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Innocents What lack of penis does to a mfer

Ten seconds after stepping out of the theatre I bought the Novel. Go see it people

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The Killer (David Fincher, 2023 - London Film Festival)

Enjoyed this. The film does a good job of balancing the methodical hitman procedure with the comedic moments, one of the best of which was the surprise appearance of a certain British TV program in the background. It isn't afraid to indulge in a well-placed bit of violence, though it's not exactly at Se7en levels and instead focuses more of the implication of the violence.

It's not too comic booky despite its source material, though the opening monologue does sound like something it took verbatim (in a good way). There's a great fight scene 3/4s of the way through which is incredibly physical and really sells the impact of the blows exchanged. And there's a fantastic Tilda Swinton monologue, I could watch her talk to the camera all day.

Great sound design as well, of the kind where it's hard to tell where that ends and the excellent Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross score begins.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Carpet posted:

The Killer (David Fincher, 2023 - London Film Festival)

extremely jealous. im a finch fanboy even tho some of his stuff is admittedly not to my liking. and i love fassbender.

this is maybe my most anticipated movie of the year, so im glad to read a positive early review

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Hit Man (Richard Linklater, 2023) (London Film Festival)

Speaking of hitmen films, while there were quite a few laughs for The Killer, this one was more deliberately comedic. Based on a true story, sort of, Glen Powell is a comedic genius as the college professor who goes undercover as hit men to ensure potential clients - cast him in every comedy going forwards. Pretty much every scene got a laugh, and one wink near the end got him a massive round of spontaneous applause. Just him appearing in yet another new undercover hitman costume got big laughs.

One to see in the cinema if you can, before it goes to Netflix.

(I went to the evening gala screening and got to walk the actual red carpet, though there's no stars attending it takes something out of it. Introduced by Richard Linklater himself, and I was almost sat right behind Edgar Wright)

Before they, I saw

The Sweet East (Sean Price Williams, 2023)

I literally had no idea what was going to happen next at any moment, whether it was Andy Milokanis firing off a gun while investigating Comet Ping Pong's secret basement, or Talia Ryder hanging around with Simon Rex's white nationalist character, before being rescued by a forest-dwelling jihadi/eurodance cell. I guess I liked it?

edit: was also going to say, that The Killer is the best of the Hitman video game movie adaptations - the chapter title text even looks like the same font!

Carpet fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 6, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Somehow kept missing this or only seeing little bits and pieces. Finally saw the whole thing and not feeling like I needed to really.

Love how they spell/pronounce it "Quartermain" throughout the entire movie, just totally oblivious to the spelling they get right exactly once, in the credits

Had to lol that it has almost exactly the same climactic scene (long distance shot in the snow) as Watchmen

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
No One Will Save You this movie doesn’t waste any time. 10 mins of character and her problem intro, then boom aliens. It’s mostly a chase film, mixed with some past trauma and dealing with all that, but it works well to keep you watching. Some cool alien designs too (the big ones). Also I like that the ending didn’t force a resolution to everything.

One of my favorite aspects is that after poo poo goes down, she just tries to leave town. A smart idea that more horror leads should try. It doesn’t work out this time , but full credit for her.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

A Haunting in Venice: A deeply frustrating movie in that it is the best of the Branagh Poirot films and elevates some bad source material, but still seems unable to transcend its limitations. The first few minutes of this film are very well-shot, making good use of post-war Venice as a locale and suggesting the film might have some honest-to-God themes about the "ghost" of fascism and war that seems to haunt the cast, led by a shockingly good Tina Fey who provides a fun, fizzy energy until the final act when the script doesn't seem to know what to do with her.

The first act manages to avoid too much hokiness by keeping itself restrained, its characters more deeply uneasy by the strangeness of the palazzo than terrified, but by the second act this vanishes to the film's detriment. Branagh cannot resist taking out the usual haunted house tropes of scurrying rats, shocking skeletons, and the old stand-by of a face popping up in a mirror. These being extremely obvious and telegraphed is not helped by some very clunky editing and average script. Every so often I would find myself being immersed in a shot or scene, only to be jarred out of it by some of really goofy editing or a real clunker of a line.

But it's fine for what it is. It's only a slim 100 minutes. Branagh keeps the action moving at a brisk pace so the film is never boring. Even if the resolution can be seen a mile away, it has its moments of fun and fright.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Killers of the Flower Moon (Martin Scorcese, 2023)

This was fantastic. Introduced by Marty himself, alongside Chief Standing Bear of the Osage nation, who discussed how Scorcese had worked extensively with them to allow them to tell their side of the story, and how happy they were with the resulting film.

Despite its length, it didn't feel like a 3.5 hour film, and yet the start of the film moves at quite a rapid pace and it doesn't take long for DiCaprio's Ernest and Gladstone's Molly's courtship to begin, along with deNiro's 'King' to explain to Earnest "how things really work" on the Osage lands. I think Jesse Plemon's BI (it wasn't called the FBI yet) didn't turn up until two hours in?  and I could see how the previous version of the film which focused on his character would have worked.

It's very much in line with something like Silence as opposed to Wolf of Wall Street, but it still mixes some funny moments in with some of sudden violence - one particular scene where a body is found and a field autopsy performed in front of a crowd drew loud gasps from the audience.

There's also a fantastic epilogue which I need to see again asap - I thought I'd had it spoiled for me, but I hadn't, and there's a certain cameo in the penultimate scene which was just so perfect.

Carpet fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 8, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ender's Game: Not a reader of the book, but I listened through Corey Olsen's study of it and the adaptation and watched the movie just now so I could see it for myself. Based on what he chose to cover it feels like it hit most of the important points, and it was a well-structured and very good-looking movie, and since Card was involved in the production it isn't surprising that it feels like a pretty note-for-note depiction of what the text says. Be that as it may though, it's pretty joyless and didactic and not that much fun.

Given Card's shitheadedness I'm happy to put this on the shelf of Things To At Least Know About

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I disagree about Sewell, more importantly though I reject the assertion that the mystery is solved halfway through. The mystery of what Dark City is is solved, but the mystery of what the human soul is is the core of the whole movie. The Outsiders believe humans are defined entirely by memory, but even after the memories Sewell's character has are revealed to be false he still attempts discover their meaning. He thinks he's a serial killer but can't bring himself to kill, he tries to reconnect with his wife even though he realizes their relationship is largely fictitious. Contrast that the Mr.Hand who acts based on what he thinks he should be doing, he acts purely rational even when memorized and can't fully embrace the level of irrationality that comes inherent to Humans.

Videodrome Very disappointing. Not enough crazy conspiracy nonsense. Way too much time wasted on boring body horror. Movie also really felt like it didn't know how to end.

Silence of the Lambs There's a five star movie hiding in here if you just cut out about fifteen minutes of Demme doting on Hopkin's portrayal of Hannibal. Hate to say it but the man is too in love with him to make his scenes not feel self indulgent, that is the ones that don't involve Clarice. Think it's worth comparing it to Manhunter, Mann in that film is fully aware of the way Serial Killers use that pretension of superiority as a coping mechanism for their own failures, that's half of what that movie is about with the man's William Blake obsession being an outlet for his lack of acceptance. Demme meanwhile has the love in his heart to include the incredibly cringe scene of Hopkin's killing his guards while classical music plays. Mann would've never made that mistake.

The rest of the film is pretty great, every time Clarice is framed completely surrounded by men larger than her acting courteous but contemptuous you know Demme was on to something. You also have to take off a point for the lack of Dennis Farina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Gaius Marius posted:

Silence of the Lambs There's a five star movie hiding in here if you just cut out about fifteen minutes of Demme doting on Hopkin's portrayal of Hannibal.

That leaves 9 minutes of Lecter. I understand why you prefer Manhunter, but I think the character lends so much thematic texture to the movie that it becomes a pretty uninteresting procedural without him.

quote:

You also have to take off a point for the lack of Dennis Farina

This is correct.