Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
oops, wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

doomrider7 posted:

Based on rudimentary knowledge of agriculture...not really. The theory is sound, but requires knowledge of composting otherwise you can kill the plants via dehydration or burning from salts or excess nutrients like nitrogen and ammonia. Stuff needs to be treated first. What she's suggesting is for nature to "do it's thing" which is not how it works(sometimes it can work, but you'd have to have put a LOT of research into that and I doubt Pina has).

The default in the three-field system that preceded it does include letting animals graze on the fallow field (which will grow wild plants and grasses), so "let the animals graze there" isn't actually a change; if they didn't know how to use manure as a fertiliser before this won't make a difference. The problem as I see it is actually the suggestion to grow a fodder crop instead of leaving the land fallow. Like, if you grow turnips in the (formerly) fallow field, and then graze the animals on the turnips, you won't actually get any turnips at the end of the harvest, so you won't have fodder for winter to feed the animals. Also, because the animals will eat the turnips before they're fully mature, they won't have time to grow and draw the nutrients out of the deep soil. Also also, if you grow a fodder crop like this, you won't have a field full of green plants to plough under into the soil as green manure, which is a crucial step in fallowing restoring the soil's health! So this is the worst of both worlds, you neither get the benefit of harvesting a fodder crop nor a benefit from fallowing, which is why it sounds to me like it'll cause a famine (I assume if that's what they're going for they'll gloss over the matter of it taking several years of harvests to deplete the soil).

But also this seems like the sort of thing any farmer would look at and go "hang on that's loving dumb" for all the above reasons, so instead of a famine it would hopefully just result in Pina, the prince and Remy's brother being called out as dumbasses. Or the issue is that the author or translator simplified things in which case I'm just thinking about it too hard.

I doubt any isekai would cover this (maybe that John Brown Isekai could) but even if the system was implemented accurately, the bit that's often glossed over with crop rotation though is that it's also not as simple as "three fields good, four fields better". With the three-field system you have 66% of your farmland given over to human-consumption crops at any one time. One third of the farmland becomes grazing land for animals, but you'll also have a meadow for harvesting hay (fodder) and a pasture for grazing the animals permanently. Going four-field may let you shrink or even eliminate the meadow and pasture from the farm and make more farmland. All of which is great...if you own the land. Often though the meadow and pasture might be areas impractical to farm, so you can't eliminate them, which means you'll actually be using only 50% of your farmland for human-consumption crops and 50% for supporting animals. Animal products are worth more though, so that's still great...if you own animals. And if you need to use 66% of the land just to hit subsistence levels, four-field farming may starve you to death. Which means in short, four-field systems are great for rich farmers who own their land and have lots of animals, and bad for poor farmers who are tenants on specific strips of land and own no animals. And that's why four-field farming went hand-in-hand with practices like Enclosure where villagers were forced off their lands so their lords could begin intensive "modern" farming practices. Overall agricultural production goes way up! Food farming is profitable at last! Shame about the villagers who lose their lands.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
You also have to know what crops to use in rotation. There is a reason why legumes like soybeans and peanuts are used in fodder and grazing rotations though I think they originally used something like clover.

Reveilled posted:

But also this seems like the sort of thing any farmer would look at and go "hang on that's loving dumb" for all the above reasons, so instead of a famine it would hopefully just result in Pina, the prince and Remy's brother being called out as dumbasses. Or the issue is that the author or translator simplified things in which case I'm just thinking about it too hard.

If any Autocratic government listened to farmers before ordering them to make changes we wouldn't have had the great leap forward or Lysenkoism. Pina is claiming this as a divine revelation from God and the prince believes her.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Any isekai story that brings up farming should just have the protagonist tell them to get as many white mages together as they can and have them carpet bomb the fields with Curaga and Regen when they're done.

Simple, clean, we immediately understand what's going on and how it works, there's no logistical problems there.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The junk collector posted:

If any Autocratic government listened to farmers before ordering them to make changes we wouldn't have had the great leap forward or Lysenkoism. Pina is claiming this as a divine revelation from God and the prince believes her.

Eh, there's a massive difference though between the state capacity and monopoly on violence of a 20th century dictatorship and a medieval monarchy. If Lysenko comes up with some poo poo-for-brains idea it gets transmitted to the collectivised farms via a bunch of bureaucrats who're all worried about dissent getting them shipped off to a gulag. If the Prince gets Pyra's poo poo-for-brains idea implemented it gets transmitted to the villages via a bunch of independent landowners with their own castles, retainers and levies, and even if they don't have much interest in farming their stewards who co-ordinate operations at their manors certainly will. If everyone believes that Pina is getting divine revelations then yep, they're all hosed, but if the barons and counts hear from their stewards that the proposals are utterly moronic and tell the prince to go gently caress himself, well, the Prince may feel less like Lysenko and more like King John.

Of course low state capacity is another thing that often gets glossed over in medieval-inspired modern fantasy (isekai or otherwise), so it may just be as simple as Prince Says Do It -> Thing Just Magically Happens!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Reveilled posted:

Ordinarily I’d just assume that either the translation was bad or the author just misunderstood or simplified the method, but given that it’s Pina proposing it, it legitimately could be that Pina has just hosed up and misremembered how the later system worked and is about to cause a huge famine.[/spoiler]

I am 100% sure this is a case of Pina loving up. Remilia, using Emi’s knowledge, is already creating a huge food surplus in her local area by using the demon settler’s mana to create “super” compost.

So this is probably setting up a another situation like the food distribution where Pina’s half-rear end “innovation” is going to cause problems and upset the people who weren’t charmed by the cheat items.

Then Remilia will be able to swoop in with an actual solution and further convince people that all the bullshit they heard about her were lies.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Fellis posted:

Is It Odd That I Became an Adventurer Even If I Graduated From the Witchcraft Institute?

https://mangadex.org/title/a220cb1c...craft-institute

I was concerned when the recent cover for this comic changed to a young dragon girl anthro, but the arc finally got to her and she’s a perfect amount of cute/menace/dumb like the rest of the cast. Some great reaction faces also, would embed images but there’s nothing that doesnt spoil

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah she's a goof just like the rest of the cast, I dunno why anyone would think differently with that series. I posted one of the things I like in the manga panels thread

Captain Invictus posted:

I love when a manga has a big detailed dramatic reveal of a character or new form or something, like so

and then they IMMEDIATELY go from grand, majestic, etc to a doodley-drawn idiot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
though that series isn't isekai, so you shouldn't be talking about it here!!!!!!!!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's isekai in spirit, since it's about a guy with "cheat skills" thrust into a generic isekai-fantasy setting as a fish out of water.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

though that series isn't isekai, so you shouldn't be talking about it here!!!!!!!!

The fantasy thread usually only gets activity once in a blue moon and doesn't retain a lot of traction so I don't have a problem talking about the occasional non-isekai series in this thread

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought there was something about that series losing its original translators and getting picked up by a machine translation hackjob. I'm gonna get back into it now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was joking, I don't give a poo poo if people discuss the barely-not-an-isekai

RareAcumen posted:

I thought there was something about that series losing its original translators and getting picked up by a machine translation hackjob. I'm gonna get back into it now.
if the machine translation is terribly off, they've been doing a drat fine job masking it. it might've been a bit bumpy when they started but I think people have been giving them tips because it reads a lot smoother now.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The scanlation is fine now but give em like a week, the person who MTL’s it basically lets the mangadex comment thread do his editing for him and updates it based on feedback there

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
I just want to say thanks to all the people who recently posted about new updates on mangadex for posting the link to the main manga, NOT the chapter. I'm not always sure if i am upto date on them, and when the link is to the chapter it and i follow it, it messes up the already read flag ect... but the link to the manga and then i can see the index and which chapters are unread is much better.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I was joking, I don't give a poo poo if people discuss the barely-not-an-isekai

if the machine translation is terribly off, they've been doing a drat fine job masking it. it might've been a bit bumpy when they started but I think people have been giving them tips because it reads a lot smoother now.

Yeah I must've seen this and just bailed immediately because I'm super behind on the series now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Decided to check top russian webnovel list and

A+ title, no notes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Isekai: Fartsovschik: Money Does Not Smell. Volume 1

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah I must've seen this and just bailed immediately because I'm super behind on the series now.

I get the feeling the guy doing the translation does actually have at least some idea of how to read Japanese given some of the TNs. You wouldn't know it was MTL if they didn't disclaim.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
started reading Peddler in Another World.

I think i like peddler type business isekais better. at least I can relate to just selling things.

versus the ones that seem to have photographic memory and somehow insane engineering knowledge to make things. Like I know what penicillin is made from, but hell if I can re-create it and actually make it with whatever random tools lying around just cause I saw a video about in high school

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

GateOfD posted:

I think i like peddler type business isekais better. at least I can relate to just selling things.

versus the ones that seem to have photographic memory and somehow insane engineering knowledge to make things. Like I know what penicillin is made from, but hell if I can re-create it and actually make it with whatever random tools lying around just cause I saw a video about in high school

I keep seeing penicillin be brought up, but what isekai has done that? I give Parallel World Pharmacy a pass since it explains how the mechanics for him spawning stuff in works, but what's the story with all of the others?

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

doomrider7 posted:

I keep seeing penicillin be brought up, but what isekai has done that? I give Parallel World Pharmacy a pass since it explains how the mechanics for him spawning stuff in works, but what's the story with all of the others?

I know Jin does it, but that’s because it’s more medical focused. It goes into how to make it because he remembered a lecture on how they used to do it before modern tech.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Unless the manga spends 70 chapters depicting the process of observation of information turning into stored information and memories I simply cannot believe that anyone would google or go to the library to look up 'How do you make antibiotics' 'What are batteries' 'How are computers made' 'What do transformers do'

If I got transported to a new world, I'd be dead in 12 minutes because I have no idea how to tell directions with a compass, there's no way a high schooler would know not to drink out of a river or eat random fruit off a tree.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RareAcumen posted:

Unless the manga spends 70 chapters depicting the process of observation of information turning into stored information and memories I simply cannot believe that anyone would google or go to the library to look up 'How do you make antibiotics' 'What are batteries' 'How are computers made' 'What do transformers do'

If I got transported to a new world, I'd be dead in 12 minutes because I have no idea how to tell directions with a compass, there's no way a high schooler would know not to drink out of a river or eat random fruit off a tree.

See now THAT one I get. It's when it's applied to characters who are adults who have some learned experience especially in that field(both Tensei Slime and Otherworldy Pharmacy come to mind since both the mains and the authors actually worked in those fields). But yeah when it's random HS kid* #163748 or whatever, yeah it gets unrealistic.

* I love Accomplishments of a Duke's Daughter, but some of the stuff Iris makes really does break suspension of disbelief.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's obviously going to depend on the high schooler, but those really basic survival skills aren't as dead as you might expect, especially when you get outside urban areas. Hunters learn that stuff real early (if they're not hunting with idiots), and Cub/Boy/Girl Scouts/Guides also learn them, in fact often more in depth than your average hunter (though it's not unusual they'll have much less experience with stuff like dressing and skinning an animal).

Of course, this is from a rural North American perspective. Urban and Japanese perspectives are going to be wildly different, which is where a good chunk of isekai protagonists come from, so :shrug:.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

doomrider7 posted:

* I love Accomplishments of a Duke's Daughter, but some of the stuff Iris makes really does break suspension of disbelief.
ah yes, we happen to have cocoa beans in this world, but nobody has done anything with them yet, conveniently enough!

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I think in Jin the method they used to make penicillin was thought up in real life by a group of medical students or researchers, who were having a brainstorming session on how you might do it in the most low-tech way possible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hell, knowing the end product is like halfway to discovery. That's kind of the weird part about advancements in tech, science, and med: If you already knew for 100% certain what you were looking for and that it for sure exists, its far easier to discover and create it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

ah yes, we happen to have cocoa beans in this world, but nobody has done anything with them yet, conveniently enough!

Not just that, but cosmetics and stuff like shampoo and conditioner as well as cakes and pastries. Series was cool and all and one of the first villainess isekai I read, but a lot of stuff begged the question of why it wasn't tried before as well as the convenience of knowing how to make these things and not have to need testing for reactions or toxicity(again, Otherworldy Pharmacy works because the MC worked in this field and poisonous cosmetics actually come up).

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I read a bunch of Accomplishments of a Duke's Daughter when it started gaining traction, then let it slide for a bit thinking I'd build a bit of a backlog to binge.

Then I read the spinoff prequel, Common Sense of a Warrior, where the MC, Iris's mother, is talked into temporarily giving up something she deeply loved, swordplay and fighting, by her father and an arranged fiance because it wasn't "proper" and wouldn't fit if she was to marry him. I just lost interest after that, even knowing she doesn't entirely give up on them, and it soured me on picking back up Accomplishments too.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-villainess-pushed-everything-on-the-mob-character/

Developing various businesses was a number one reincarnation cliche.
However, this only worked in the novels.
If I can do well with my feeble knowledge, I wouldn’t have had a hard time either.
At first, distillation and salt production were considered ground-breaking ideas. However, even though she knew the simple technique, there was no way that she, who was not an expert, could understand the finer details.
As a result of neglecting the rest of the venture, the business went downhill in no time.
As I have said before, these things only worked because of the talented people in the novels.
There were a lot of people who were excellent and enthusiastic about research, but no one could keep up with her, who was just coming up with ideas and starting businesses one after another.
As a result, the Nottenger Duchy gradually became impoverished by repeatedly constructing and closing factories.
"The Duke says that this time will work out…”
"I understand how he feels. It's true that her ideas are wonderful."
"But there's no follow-up..."
It was only her successful clothing business that has kept them afloat.
Under these circumstances, the Duke of Nottenger begged for help, and my Birmingham Marquisate bought a couple businesses in the form of support.
They were the salt business and the fluffy bread business.
The idea of extracting salt from seawater was not bad since people in this world didn't understand what salt was.
Although I knew that salt crystals were formed by boiling down seawater, the reason I didn't do it was simply because the salt that remained was incredibly bitter.
So when I first heard about her salt business, I was very impressed. I thought she knew how to get rid of that bitterness.
But apparently her knowledge was similar to mine. It was nice that salt was made, but the bitterness was too bitter to be used for cooking. Rather, I was surprised at her lack of knowledge of its bitterness.
Why did you even build a factory with that little knowledge?
But it can't be helped. If you work hard, you'll see the light of day.
Although she should have been a little more persistent and experimented more, she gave up quickly and moved on to the next business.
I shouldn't have been the only one who was dumbfounded.
By that time, however, her interest had shifted away, and all that remained were coastal factories, personnel, and huge debts built from the salt business.
That said, it wasn’t an amount that could ruin the Duchy.
However, the salt business was a tantalizing industry that could become a national import if it went well. Thereupon the Royal Family asked us if we would like to take over the business, and our Birmingham Marquisate reluctantly bought it.
Frankly speaking, it didn't go as well as she did at first.
However, thanks to my brother and I, the disappointed workers at the factory worked very hard.
As a result, the bitterness can be removed via filtration just before crystallization.
This was the result of the efforts of the people in the factory. I didn't do anything. The knowledge of your past life was really useless.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ElBrak posted:

I think in Jin the method they used to make penicillin was thought up in real life by a group of medical students or researchers, who were having a brainstorming session on how you might do it in the most low-tech way possible.

Yeah this is why Dr Stone fully discarded that and went straight to sulfa antibiotics, which you can synthesize from common and easy(ier) to acquire reagents.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

GateOfD posted:

I remember one specific one where the mc thought she hadn't gotten a 'goddess blessing' like most historical otherworlders because she didn't have insane magical powers and etc.
The blessing was explicitly the 'perfect recall' feature so many people just seem to have by default. Considering how strong of a skill the 'oh yeah I have photographic recall, nbd' thing is, it actually being an explicit blessing makes a lot of sense.

I quite liked the setting, where she was princess(?) of a reclusive neutral country, which secretly had like mid 1900s tech in a renaissance-ish era setting.
They threw that out the window a bit when they hauled rear end to the empire's capital in a giant 1920s(?) car, terrifying everyone within earshot.

I think I lost track of the series around the time of the mangadex nuke?, I really can't remember much of it other than some of the broad strokes.
Some neighbouring nation or empire had decided that one of their princes should marry her, and she solidifies her position by showing just how strong the nation actually is by repelling an army with gatling guns... or something like that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Captain Invictus posted:

That's the believable part. The unbelievable part was that she just told the chef to figure it out offscreen, and he did in a relatively short time and the story just jumped to her having completed chocolate products. Making chocolate from raw beans is not trivial even if you know every step of the process, let alone if you were tasked to just discover it without any clues!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ElBrak posted:

Off the top of my head, I believe Jin's friend came up with it to win an argument because there was a conversation specifically about lol no way could some isekai/time travel person actually make penicillin.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
some korean isekais or stories have the cheat JUST be the photographic recall, and that was all they needed to succeed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy poo poo at the latest Faraway Paladin

I guess I did not realize that Will has apparently infinite reincarnations, he just moves on to another world. or Valacirca is talking poo poo, which is also equally likely. but man, Valacirca is such a bastard. I am really curious as to why he stated he would finish off Will's companions if he refused to serve, and then didn't do so as soon as Will said no.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Got Too caught up in the back and forth of the dialogue :v:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Faraway Paladin: Valacirca probably would have roasted them all if Will hasn't leapt straight into his face spear-first.

I tell ya, this is straight up the best portrayal of a paladin.

Also, I feel like there's something Valacirca-related in the Gus flashback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mirage posted:

I tell ya, this is straight up the best portrayal of a paladin.

Definitely the best in manga, at least until we get a manga adaptation of The Deed of Paksenarrion. Then I'd be hard pressed to choose.