Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

200 guys, a girl, and an anarcho-state.

Thread title candidate right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Thread title candidate right here.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The testimony from the expert witness brought in to the House hearing on impeaching Biden today went to... some unexpected places.

One of the members of the committee starts attacking him for his previous advocacy of the FLDS Mormon polygamist cult.

He starts awkwardly defending polygamists marrying multiple 16-year old girls as "religious freedom." He also said his reasoning for seeking out and defending a polygamist accused of raping a 13-year old girl in court was:

- "I admit, I'm pretty libertarian."
- He doesn't think morality laws of any kind are good
- He thought this might be a good case to try and get polygamy laws struck down.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1707424832567026108

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm guessing he's probably in favor of morality laws if they're based on Mormonism. Either that or he's not really Mormon

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm guessing he's probably in favor of morality laws if they're based on Mormonism. Either that or he's not really Mormon

He is not actually a Mormon. He lives in D.C. and that is why he sought out the accused (and eventually convicted) pedophile rapist polygamist in Utah. He is a libertarian law professor.

The absolutely wild thing is that he represented the Sister Wives from the TLC reality show in a case to try and get polygamy laws struck down and failed. So right after that, he decides the next best case to find a sympathetic judge and jury is... a FLDS guy who was accused of raping his own 13-year old stepdaughter and charged with polygamy at the same time.

I know there probably aren't a ton of criminal polygamy cases to choose from, but there has got to be a better second option after the Sister Wives if you're trying to get a friendly case.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Oh he's the lawyer, not one of the accused. Got it. My bad

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh he's the lawyer, not one of the accused.

Yet.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fair

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I just think it is hilarious that an impeachment hearing ended up in this subject and this guy - under oath - responded to "Why did you call a guy marrying two sixteen years olds beautiful and say that discrimination against them is like how the government historically discriminated against black people and native Americans? Also, why did you seek out a pedophile rapist to defend him because you thought it might be a good chance to get polygamy laws struck down???"

With: "I admit, I'm kind of a libertarian."

It's so on the nose it could have been part of a political satire script.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

I just think it is hilarious that an impeachment hearing ended up in this subject and this guy - under oath - responded to "Why did you call a guy marrying two sixteen years olds beautiful and say that discrimination against them is like how the government historically discriminated against black people and native Americans? Also, why did you seek out a pedophile rapist to defend him because you thought it might be a good chance to get polygamy laws struck down???"

Ask him about firefighters.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AF Branco cartoon spotted

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s always a good sign when you immediately start equivocating every time you’re asked a question.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Does no one in this thread know who Fox News shill Jonathan Turley is? He’s the law professor who teaches no classes and gets rolled out to defend the GOP position on every issue that ever arises.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

predicto posted:

Does no one in this thread know who Fox News shill Jonathan Turley is? He’s the law professor who teaches no classes and gets rolled out to defend the GOP position on every issue that ever arises.

I think most people know who he is, but his previous interest in polygamy laws is less well-known.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What an unfortunate looking mustache on that guy
https://twitter.com/mises/status/1707786748057493748?t=OvkF9h-nuXYb_WZkSx4AXA&s=19

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

President Skroob!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/RealSpikeCohen/status/1708633495814193330?t=T15waxOnKs4M8C05kHwbEA&s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Simply for creating a website? A succulent darknet website?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I love the "he merely facilitated the black market where 99.9% of sales were of firearms, drugs, and money laundering schemes. He did not agree with those things, but his deep commitment to the libertarian principle of non-aggression meant that he could not stop others from doing so."

"Let's just look at the government's insane argument. The only thing they can prove he did is create a website. Everything else happened because he facilitated it, but he was never there. How can it be illegal to sell drugs if you are just the kingpin and not personally meeting every buyer? How can it be illegal to sell illegal firearms if you just own the store and don't work the counter? How can it be illegal to money launder if you just open up a money laundering business and people happen to come to you to launder their money, but you never launder any of your own money? How is it illegal to pay someone to murder another person if you never pull the trigger? It's madness and big government gone wild."

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
"I can't believe the government require you to pay taxes on the 1% cut you take from nearly all of the online global drug trade"

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Of course, this guy can't actually prove the U.S. Government did any of that stuff, it merely hired people to do it for itself. So nothing bad actually happened to this guy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

quote:

Many items that were sold on Silk Road were legal
Damning with faint praise.

quote:

Despite the fact that these false, unproven allegations were never prosecuted, the federal government used them in the media to paint Ross as some kind of violent criminal kingpin, despite the fact that he was nonviolent and lived a very meager life, living with 3 other roommates in an apartment.

The FBI also seized over 144,000 Bitcoin that they found in a shared wallet on Ross's computer, which today is worth over $3.8 billion.
My meager life as a billionaire.

quote:

Imagine if Elon, or Zuck, or any of the other owners of web platforms were charged for what other people did on them.
Man don't get my hopes up like that dude.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

"Let's just look at the government's insane argument. The only thing they can prove he did is create a website. Everything else happened because he facilitated it, but he was never there. How can it be illegal to sell drugs if you are just the kingpin and not personally meeting every buyer? How can it be illegal to sell illegal firearms if you just own the store and don't work the counter? How can it be illegal to money launder if you just open up a money laundering business and people happen to come to you to launder their money, but you never launder any of your own money? How is it illegal to pay someone to murder another person if you never pull the trigger? It's madness and big government gone wild."

Sure he opened the murder and rape house but how is he responsible for the actions inside the murder and rape house.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Point remains that managers of Nestle deliberately and knowingly killed more babies in developing economies than old mate would have harmed across the globe in a lifetime, one gets multiple terms of prison and the other suffers no personal consequences. What old mate did wrong was not pay his taxes and (more importantly) not avail intelligence services of information contained within his sphere.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Point remains that managers of Nestle deliberately and knowingly killed more babies in developing economies than old mate would have harmed across the globe in a lifetime, one gets multiple terms of prison and the other suffers no personal consequences. What old mate did wrong was not pay his taxes and (more importantly) not avail intelligence services of information contained within his sphere.

Yeah, you know, attempting to hire contract killers.

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/silk-road-boss-first-murder-attempt-mentors-idea/
https://www.businessinsider.com/ross-ulbricht-charged-in-2nd-silk-road-murder-for-hire-plot-2013-10

I don't think anyone deserves life in prison without parole. Everyone deserves the chance of parole. Ulbricht's sentence is cruel, and unjust (like many in the US).
But that doesn't mean we have to kid that he was just some small time player.

Pointing out nestle is silly because how many people you think read this thread and think NEstle's boss shouldn't be in jail?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah, you know, attempting to hire contract killers.

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/silk-road-boss-first-murder-attempt-mentors-idea/
https://www.businessinsider.com/ross-ulbricht-charged-in-2nd-silk-road-murder-for-hire-plot-2013-10

I don't think anyone deserves life in prison without parole. Everyone deserves the chance of parole. Ulbricht's sentence is cruel, and unjust (like many in the US).
But that doesn't mean we have to kid that he was just some small time player.

Pointing out nestle is silly because how many people you think read this thread and think NEstle's boss shouldn't be in jail?

Did you not read the tweet that posted earlier?

He hired a contract killer to murder someone, but they didn't die. What is the crime if nobody dies and you weren't even going to pull the trigger? The outcome is the exact same as if he never hired a contract killer. If that is your standard, then are you going to send everyone who doesn't hire a contract killer to jail?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I forgot he was the contract killer guy, actually. The complaints in this thread weren't about what he had gotten up to personally (bad enough though and I'm not saying he should be free from sanction), it was that he was running a market attempting to be anonymous of the government and implying that he got his just deserts (notably you are very fair on this) because of that.

Procures of contract killers may not be that common but they are common enough for me to say this guy wasn't being lorded and gloated over in this thread due to being uniquely violent.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically not even convicted of the murder for hire allegations! (because the court involved with those just kinda shrugged and figured it wasn't worth the time after he got tossed in the slammer for life)

Wikipedia posted:

Ulbricht was not charged in his trial in New York federal court with murder for hire[33][44] but evidence was introduced at trial supporting the allegations.[33][45] The district court found by a preponderance of the evidence that Ulbricht did commission the murders.[46] The evidence that Ulbricht had commissioned murders was considered by the judge in sentencing Ulbricht to life and was a factor in the Second Circuit's decision to uphold the sentence.[45]

Ulbricht was separately indicted in federal court in Maryland on a single murder-for-hire charge, alleging that he contracted to kill one of his employees (a former Silk Road moderator).[47] Prosecutors moved to drop this indictment after his New York conviction and sentence became final.[48][49]

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Did you not read the tweet that posted earlier?

He hired a contract killer to murder someone, but they didn't die. What is the crime if nobody dies and you weren't even going to pull the trigger? The outcome is the exact same as if he never hired a contract killer. If that is your standard, then are you going to send everyone who doesn't hire a contract killer to jail?

They're arguing the whole thing was somehow entrapment by the feds. The problem is thar this scenario is entirely possible and was definitely used against other people in the past.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I recommend not trying to find a contract killer online because actually there isn't a secret wonderland of professional assassins who make their services publicly available to randos like you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Instead you have to keep ordering grubhub until you get a delivery guy who is willing to do murder.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Panfilo posted:

They're arguing the whole thing was somehow entrapment by the feds. The problem is thar this scenario is entirely possible and was definitely used against other people in the past.

Yeah they think it's entrapment when you go online to get a hitman and get a fed instead because libertarians are great at law.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SlothfulCobra posted:

I recommend not trying to find a contract killer online because actually there isn't a secret wonderland of professional assassins who make their services publicly available to randos like you.

I read about a case in China where a guy tried to hire a hitman, who then tried to subcontract the hit to another guy, who did the same, through a chain of like six dudes, until the last hitman approached the victim and said "hey, I was hired to kill you, but if you fake your death and lay low for a while, we can split the money." The victim said "ok" then immediately went to the police because he was the only person in this entire fiasco who wasn't a complete moron.

Point is, even if you find a hitman online who isn't a cop, you're still dealing with the kind of person willing to take a murder contract.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yeah "Hitmen" as pop culture informs us don't really exist, yes there are professional criminal assassins out there but they're all employed long term by organized criminal outfits and thus won't just take money from some rando to kill another rando. There's no way to guarantee no one's a cop otherwise

Caros
May 14, 2008

Panfilo posted:

It is not. The logs from his computer are public record Due to the indictments and it is abundantly clear that he was the one who opened every conversation on the topic.

He initially wanted the guy beaten up for theft (which was funny because the theft in question wasn't done by his former mod, but by corrupt DEA Agent Carl Mark Force IV. Then, after he found out the guy got arrested he transitioned that into asking for him to be murdered.

Th cops absolutely have a long history of lovely entrapment behavior in the US, particularly among terrorism cases, but there is nothing in this that is on them.

And even if you somehow bought that, the other attempt at murdering five people didn't involve any law enforcement at all and was instead just a massive con where a vendor who rugpulled silk Road pretended to be a bunch of other people and eventually got dpr to pay for a hit on himself.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Also entrapment doesn't simply mean "law enforcement left a tasty doughnut on a plate in the town square and then arrested the person who took and ate it". There's a great comic around explaining it that this post is too narrow to contain

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Entrapment implies that law enforcement convinced you to commit a crime you would not have otherwise committed, not that they simply gave you an opportunity.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Not entrapment: let's go rob this bank
Entrapment: rob this bank with me or I'll kill you
Grey area: spending eight months becoming the only friend of someone ostracized from society, then saying "if we're really friends, you'll rob this bank"

The last category is messy, but it's rare. Lots of people seem to think just being asked "hey, want to crime?" is automatically entrapment.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What's going on with the Libertarian party?
https://twitter.com/TylerGroenendal/status/1710414347866976437?t=mj91c6yE-kYbI_URc6LWwA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Panfilo posted:

What's going on with the Libertarian party?

Clicking through: Cato said that a vaccine for the deadly pandemic was good
https://twitter.com/angela4LNCChair/status/1710308697258238182