Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

q_k posted:

Maybe ECA stack? Ephedrine, caffeine, aspirin as a combo. Great for weight loss (also great for a heart attack).

That’s what the aspirin is for duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

apparently they got 600000 pounds in 2005 and then like 40000 5 years later lmao

That's a lot of insects on your windshield either way

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

quote:

Here, Rousseau asks exactly the same question that puzzled so many indigenous Americans. How is it that Europeans are able to turn wealth into power; turn a mere unequal distribution of material goods – which exists, at least to some degree, in any society – into the ability to tell others what to do, to employ them as servants, workmen or grenadiers, or simply to feel that it was no concern of theirs if they were left dying in a feverish bundle on the street?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

is an eca stack better or worse for my heart than buying whichever preworkout is on clearance?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

That's a lot of insects on your windshield either way

There's a lot of cars

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ziasquinn posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windshield_phenomenon

The windshield phenomenon (or windscreen phenomenon) is the observation that fewer dead insects accumulate on the windshields and front bumpers of people's cars since the early 2000s. It has been attributed to a global decline in insect populations caused by human activity, e.g. use of pesticides.[1]

I don't even drive and I can see it (locally) whenever I go outside in Summer. Still enough wasps in the garden to piss me off. Why can't I have bees and bumblebees?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't even drive and I can see it (locally) whenever I go outside in Summer. Still enough wasps in the garden to piss me off. Why can't I have bees and bumblebees?

We have killed all the good bugs, now you get to fight both wasps and thirst in the upcoming water wars :)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Remember to vote Nestlé for president of Corpozone 1!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Biplane posted:

We have killed all the good bugs, now you get to fight both wasps and thirst in the upcoming water wars :)

What's great about that inevitable little party is that we're the ones with the water :negative:

e: so, I won't be thirsty, I'll just be dead.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ziasquinn posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windshield_phenomenon

The windshield phenomenon (or windscreen phenomenon) is the observation that fewer dead insects accumulate on the windshields and front bumpers of people's cars since the early 2000s. It has been attributed to a global decline in insect populations caused by human activity, e.g. use of pesticides.[1]

This pretty much coincides with the proliferation of Roundup-ready crops, but I'm sure there were lots of causes. You can buy organic if you want to feel better, be poorer, and still not fix the problem.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Organic is fun because they get to use the really nasty chemicals that everyone else abandoned for more effective and targeted poo poo half a century ago

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I’ve known that google has been getting shittier but lmao

https://twitter.com/_zeets/status/1708975821791109383?s=46&t=48WuxJzhl6QogQUktl94fA

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

Organic is fun because they get to use the really nasty chemicals that everyone else abandoned for more effective and targeted poo poo half a century ago

I don't doubt that, but can you elaborate? A few years ago I did a grad-level course in organic agriculture, and that did not come up. The main credible criticism I'm aware of is that "organic" is a broad term, so you don't get all that much information about how the crops were grown just from the label, and the regulatory bodies (OMRI et al.) are underwhelming.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lmao google really sucks loving poo poo

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
And yet I still can't find a good ML poster retailer smdh

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

plant wormwood and mint. wasps don't like wormwood or mint, but bumblebees like the mint flowers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't doubt that, but can you elaborate? A few years ago I did a grad-level course in organic agriculture, and that did not come up. The main credible criticism I'm aware of is that "organic" is a broad term, so you don't get all that much information about how the crops were grown just from the label, and the regulatory bodies (OMRI et al.) are underwhelming.

The limitations placed on organic farming are kinda dumb and arbitrary and have always struck me as stuck with the original mid-20th-century vibe-based decisionmaking rather than anything based in a scientific evaluation of sustainable farming. As a result they draw the line at the use of "synthetic" chemicals, so it's totally fine to use either toxic poo poo derived from plants (like rotenone or pyrethrin or even in the past nicotine, though I think they've clamped down on that one because lol) or general broad inorganic poisons like copper salts.

I mean I'm sure a lot of farms don't, wikipedia seems to indicate most farms don't, but you can absolutely spray your whole field with copper sulphate and then turn around and sell it as "organic" with a straight face and not be breaking any rules.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

plant wormwood and mint. wasps don't like wormwood or mint, but bumblebees like the mint flowers.

plus you can use the wormwood to make absinthe if you plant the right kind (illegal)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

The limitations placed on organic farming are kinda dumb and arbitrary and have always struck me as stuck with the original mid-20th-century vibe-based decisionmaking rather than anything based in a scientific evaluation of sustainable farming. As a result they draw the line at the use of "synthetic" chemicals, so it's totally fine to use either toxic poo poo derived from plants (like rotenone or pyrethrin or even in the past nicotine, though I think they've clamped down on that one because lol) or general broad inorganic poisons like copper salts.

I mean I'm sure a lot of farms don't, wikipedia seems to indicate most farms don't, but you can absolutely spray your whole field with copper sulphate and then turn around and sell it as "organic" with a straight face and not be breaking any rules.

Copper sulphate is my go-to organic fungicide (though not on food crops), so yeah that checks out.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Copper sulphate is my go-to organic fungicide (though not on food crops), so yeah that checks out.

Copper salts are nasty enough (particularly to fish) that I make the effort to collect all the effluent from when I etch copper circuit boards to dispose of it properly lol

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

caveat: mint grows like no tomorrow and will take over your entire yard if not contained properly. I leave it up to the reader to decide if this is a pro or con.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

poemdexter posted:

caveat: mint grows like no tomorrow and will take over your entire yard if not contained properly. I leave it up to the reader to decide if this is a pro or con.

I planted mint and everyone tells me this. My reaction is just "gently caress yeah".

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

BonHair posted:

I planted mint and everyone tells me this. My reaction is just "gently caress yeah".

imagine wanting a mojito and just walking 2 feet outside and picking fresh mint. the dream...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

poemdexter posted:

imagine wanting a mojito and just walking 2 feet outside and picking fresh mint. the dream...

This is my overall garden plan. Also various berries, tomatoes and cucumbers. And I'm currently trying to get cumin and caraway to grow in the window

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The loving yard is protected. Got some Precious Olde Plants growing on it so I can't plant poo poo. I mean yeah I can't really oppose conservation but also none of the plants are flowers so it looks like poo poo and also no bees of any variety. (I rent, by the by.) One time I got some big pots and planted flowers in them and someone poo poo in them.

e: maybe there are flowers, but no, you know, pretty flowers, and not ones that attract bees. Or butterflies.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the solution is hanging gardens

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The poo poo is fertilizer, they were trying to help

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The loving yard is protected. Got some Precious Olde Plants growing on it so I can't plant poo poo. I mean yeah I can't really oppose conservation but also none of the plants are flowers so it looks like poo poo and also no bees of any variety. (I rent, by the by.) One time I got some big pots and planted flowers in them and someone poo poo in them.

e: maybe there are flowers, but no, you know, pretty flowers, and not ones that attract bees. Or butterflies.

you can absolutely oppose conservation

it's just colorblind segregation. if you can't remove the plants, you can't build apartments.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bald Stalin posted:

Marxist Leninist poster retailer

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Greg12 posted:

it's just colorblind segregation. if you can't remove the plants, you can't build apartments.

The whole lot is protected. Buildings, garden, trees.

e: Probably the only reason I can afford rent.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

Neem oil for example can be a contraceptive and abortifacient.

kills bugs great though.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Neem oil for example can be a contraceptive and abortifacient.

kills bugs great though.

smells EARTHY which is a way of saying bad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Greg12 posted:

what the gently caress are you even talking about this is the most cspam-brained take I’ve ever seen

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Greg is right

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I learned recently that Paw Paws are pollinated by flies. People hang corpses in the trees to attract them. Isn't that something?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bald Stalin posted:

I know, I had to get this poster from Etsy:

like Bo Burnham sang about when he mentioned "Discount Etsy AgitProp" as part of the ongoing collapse of civilization
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOqq1knVxs

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PerniciousKnid posted:

I learned recently that Paw Paws are pollinated by flies. People hang corpses in the trees to attract them. Isn't that something?

That's sick (in a good way)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's sick (in a good way)

That's why I'm going to plant some pawpaws by my chicken coop. Suck my cock capitalism.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bubmlebees seem to be the main (or most obvious) pollinators around my house, and I love seeing them bumble through my tomato plants :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Everyone should plant honeysuckle because the honey that comes from bees with access to that is the best honey in my very honest opinion. Bonus: honeysuckle likes to grow up fences and lattice so you don't even need to take up yard space really.