Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Busy Bee posted:

I intend on traveling in a few weeks and want to be logging in from the country I'm based in.
There are three possibilities here:

1. If your company cares where you're logging in from, then like everyone else has said doing this will 100% be putting your job at risk if you get caught as you are intentionally trying to deceive them.
2. If your company doesn't care, but you need to access services that will be a pain in the rear end if your IP changes or is coming from an unexpected country, then your company should be providing a VPN solution for you that they approve and support and this is a problem for IT to solve.
3. If your company doesn't care where you're logging in from and it doesn't matter for whatever you might need to do then this is pointless and you shouldn't bother.

Either way there's no good reason to be using company equipment on a personal VPN, especially not any commercial VPN service.

That said if you just want to access your home streaming providers in another country or whatever then the travel router is the way to go. It's transparent to whatever's connected behind it and is also very useful for getting multiple devices on to hotel WiFi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
The other thing is Bee, the workplace probably provides a VPN already for connecting to a corporate workplace, no? So why do you want to identify differently? Company probably doesn't care if you ask them openly. I worked a job in the Midwest and I negotiated being able to train overseas doing 50% work and 50% vacation (1 week of each), and so I did work VPN for work and hosed off for week #2 in the EU. Help aspects here are making sure you can do something to show value and making sure that you're doing something that justifies being overseas. I gave it about 3 months + of notice because of the unique request, so I sure hope you didn't plan on telling them (now) or you may not get a decision in time.

Like, I'm not sure what spy novel poo poo you're thinking of here but I would like to remind you that if you're using O365 and/or anything tied to your phone, they *KNOW* where you are anyway from your phone - as you'll be phoning home regularly.

Don't gently caress with VPN's unless you don't mind long and fairly uncomfortable talks with security. And I say this as someone who in an IT role usually has the keys to the entire kingdom because I did monitoring as an SME so literally "admin access to every server on the entire network" was not an unheard of ask for what I do. And I still wouldn't even try to pull that kind of poo poo. And I even ran Proton on my phone to do poo poo anyway, but I told them what countries/when/etc.

Don't think you're in some silo, you're talking about using corporate equipment.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Extremely dumb question: BiDi single mode fiber is full duplex, right?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yes.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've got an arris surfboard sb8200 cable modem that's been working fine for about 2 years. It's plugged into the cable outlet, and then the ethernet cable goes into an orbi router, which is also ethernet-wired to a networking switch. I try to keep as much as possible wired, and the previous owners put ethernet outlets in every room that lead to the basement so the switch is in there.

A couple of days this last week, internet connectivity has turned off. I'll get a message on my (wired) pc that the ip address assigned is invalid. Wifi devices have the same issue. If I restart the cable modem and the orbi it gets fixed, after a couple of tries. One time was tuesday morning and another time thursday afternoon. I was trying to think of what happened at those times, and both times was when my son woke up and turned on the nintendo switch, or came home from school and turned on the nintendo switch.

Now, all of my devices have an auto-assigned IP. I tried to have fixed IP addresses but some part of the orbi setup for it just sucked, so it's auto. I have turned the wifi on the nintendo switch off (it's always offline anyway) just in case that caused the issue.

I asked people in the local area if their comcast connection was also going down and they all said no. A couple of people said 'I got that before, it means it's time to get a new modem'. Any ideas?

nerox
May 20, 2001
Unless I am missing something, it sounds like a problem with the Orbi and its DHCP server moreso than the cable modem or ISP.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to troubleshoot my home network and wondered if anyone could help.

Situation

I've recently upgraded to Fibre broadband which is advertised at 500mbps.

The fibre comes through the wall to an ONT wall box which is then connected to the provider's router. Ideally I would like this to connect via a cat5e cable which is in the wall (installed when the house was built) so I can site the router in the utility room.

Problem

When the system was first set up and the router was connected directly to the ONT box with the supplied ethernet patch cable, I ran a speed test and easily hit the advertised 500mbps.

I then hooked it up via the internal cat5e cable as planned. So it goes

ONT -> patch cable -> wall rj45 socket -> wall cat5e cable -> Router.

I try the speed test again the next day and it's now clocking at 92mbps. The router info tells me the fibre connection is capped at 100mbps fill duplex. It's a provider supplied router so I don't have much more control.

What I've tried

I speak to tech support and after the usual pleasantries (restart, factory reset etc) they finally advise me to try again with just the patch cable to the router and lo and behold it goes back to 500mbps.

I google around and various reddit threads suggest this might be due to shoddy terminations in the wall cable. I re-terminate the plug end and repeat the punch down on the socket and it works - speed is back to 500mbps. This only lasts a few hours though as it degrades to 100mbps again.

I get a cable tester and it's showing all 8 leads as being live and the speed is back at 500mbps after I reconnect the modem via the wall cat5e cable.

Any ideas on what the problem is likely to be here? I can imagine the wall cable being problematic but why would it start at 500 and then drop to 100 spontaneously? All the baseline speed tests were with the same device (android phone) at the same distance from the router and were replicable with my desktop.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Z the IVth posted:

Any ideas on what the problem is likely to be here? I can imagine the wall cable being problematic but why would it start at 500 and then drop to 100 spontaneously? All the baseline speed tests were with the same device (android phone) at the same distance from the router and were replicable with my desktop.
If the cable is hosed in some way it could initially negotiate gigabit speeds and then drop back to 100mbit at some point after errors. 100mbit only needs two of the four pairs to work properly, gigabit needs all four.

If it works fine with a different cable, the problem is almost certainly the cable.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's possible the cable is damaged. It may negotiate at first at gigabit speeds, but after a few hours of use if the network interfaces are seeing lots of errors it might downgrade the link to 100mbit. How hard would it be to run a new cable?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure the answer here is "sure" but I want to make sure my crazy idea is possible. I've got the option of moving up to 5gig internet and I'm trying to sort out if I could even use that.

Right now I have the Internet wired up to a router with switches and APs behind it like normal all gigabit. My router is downstairs and my main desktop is upstairs with a cable run to it.

All the mikrotik routers I can find with a 10gbs port only have a single one.

Here is the thought:
Use a managed 10g switch downstairs and VLAN the Internet to upstairs, to another switch, then I can hang the router and desktop off that switch.

So internet traffic would route through the internal LAN to the router then swap over to the appropriate VLAN to find it's way back outside. This would let me get from the desktop to the Internet at 5gig I believe.

Obviously that's a bunch of equipment and configuration and I'm not entirely sure that I'd be able to make use of the extra bandwidth. And I'd have to grab a higher speed network card for the desktop too.

Or is this one of those "time to abandon mikrotik" convos? I'm not doing anything advanced now that I have fast enough Internet for almost anything.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

It's possible the cable is damaged. It may negotiate at first at gigabit speeds, but after a few hours of use if the network interfaces are seeing lots of errors it might downgrade the link to 100mbit. How hard would it be to run a new cable?

It's buried in the wall when they built the house so if it's really a cable problem then setting up a mesh network is probably the more feasible solution. The issue is the ONT is stuck on one corner of the house so signal in the furthest parts of the house isn't great (but still there as I live in a shoebox).

Would cable damage show up with a network tester? Admittedly the one I used is the cheap Chinese "row of lights" type so it may not be very sensitive

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
An intermittently bad pair will show up on a real tester, as they'll send test packets and measure signal integrity. But those start at $1000

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

FunOne posted:

All the mikrotik routers I can find with a 10gbs port only have a single one.

They have lots of options for that though? At 10g you should be moving toward SFP+

Are you only looking for 10g RJ-45? That would be your issue.

Look at like a CCR2004 maybe.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I just set up pihole running on an old laptop running Ubuntu and now I can't remote into my synology NAS using teleport anymore. Pihole seems to be blocking this, any idea on how to allow it?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Just because all the pairs are electrically sound doesn't mean it's going to work with the insane modulation rates that 1000 requires.

Sure sounds like a bad cable friend, I'd maybe try using two different devices on each end that you haven't tried before to make sure the issue persists with new equipment. Use the old cable to pull a new one through.

Or use a BERT tester like a Viavi 6000 to certify it up to 1000m using simulated traffic.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Just because all the pairs are electrically sound doesn't mean it's going to work with the insane modulation rates that 1000 requires.

Sure sounds like a bad cable friend, I'd maybe try using two different devices on each end that you haven't tried before to make sure the issue persists with new equipment. Use the old cable to pull a new one through.

Or use a BERT tester like a Viavi 6000 to certify it up to 1000m using simulated traffic.

I'm holding out hope that maybe there's some damage in the exposed cable ends in the socket area as I didn't look that closely at them. But if the cable is damaged internally I don't think a re-pull is likely to be successful as I it doesn't look like its threaded through conduit and I suspect pulling is going to damage whatever new cable I pull as well. :smith:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Looking for the secret sauce on my Mikrotik configuration here.

I have Google Fiber and a RB hEx setup in basic NAT configuration with almost everything working perfectly. My Pixel 6 phone won't pull an update over WiFi. Snooooping on why, I see that when the phone pulls the OTA in DNS it pulls a ip6 address instead of an ip4 address. I've generally got ipv6 disabled (WinBox->Ipv6->Setttings->Disable ipv6), so I suspect that's why it can't find these servers.

What do I need to do here? I have no problem enabling ipv6 but obviously I need to know what other than checking to box actually needs to be done. Or is there some other setting where I can force it to ipv4 only across the board?

Just to rule it out, I reset my hEx completely back to default config and still no luck.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 5, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does your phone have a IPv6 address (besides link-local)? And if it does, did it get it via DHCP or router discovery?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I reset to default config. I then found info on adding DHCP v6 to pull an address and assign one to the bridge. Now ipv6 test websites work as expected.

However I still can't get this drat OTA to load on my Wifi.

Unoriginality
Jan 1, 2008
If it's a Pixel and you've got a desktop or laptop somewhere, why not just download the OTA from Google and apply it with ADB? Sidestep the whole drat thing.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I also have plenty of data so no big deal to just pull it over the actual air. Just weird that the home network wouldn't work at all. I've solved (I think) the ipv6 stuff so previously unknown problem now sorted, but it still didn't fix whatever was going wrong here.

On another note, I reconfigured my 3 WiFi APs into the middle DFS channels at 80mhz each. Tons of bandwidth and no conflicts from the neighbors at all. So far no major incompatibilities noted.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I was using an Asus RT-AX86U since 2020 but I've moved and the Bell "Giga Hub" is the default modem and router. They won't put it into bridge mode for me and instead, if I want to use my own hardware, I have to configure my router to connect with PPPoE and turn off all the routing functions of the giga hub.

The issue is that even if I use the credentials they gave me and any combination of ports and cords, all I get is a "DATO Packet timeout" error on my Asus router. Some digging turns up some known issues with PPPoE and my router model. I tried flashing an open source firmware to see if that would help, but no luck there. Weirdest thing is it definitely worked fine for a few hours, then just failed and never functioned again. The Asus just reads "Disconnected".

So, are there any routers with good mesh systems that are known to work well with PPPoE or should I just play ball with Bell's hardware and get some of their stupid mesh pods that they rent?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

When I was in a similar pickle, I just forwarded all the ports to my own router and lived with double NAT.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wibla posted:

When I was in a similar pickle, I just forwarded all the ports to my own router and lived with double NAT.

Yeah it can get a little weird but sometimes if you just set DMZ on the ISP's router to your own router it's good enough and is probably what I'd try first out of laziness.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

redreader posted:

I've got an arris surfboard sb8200 cable modem that's been working fine for about 2 years. It's plugged into the cable outlet, and then the ethernet cable goes into an orbi router, which is also ethernet-wired to a networking switch. I try to keep as much as possible wired, and the previous owners put ethernet outlets in every room that lead to the basement so the switch is in there.

A couple of days this last week, internet connectivity has turned off. I'll get a message on my (wired) pc that the ip address assigned is invalid. Wifi devices have the same issue. If I restart the cable modem and the orbi it gets fixed, after a couple of tries. One time was tuesday morning and another time thursday afternoon. I was trying to think of what happened at those times, and both times was when my son woke up and turned on the nintendo switch, or came home from school and turned on the nintendo switch.

Now, all of my devices have an auto-assigned IP. I tried to have fixed IP addresses but some part of the orbi setup for it just sucked, so it's auto. I have turned the wifi on the nintendo switch off (it's always offline anyway) just in case that caused the issue.

I asked people in the local area if their comcast connection was also going down and they all said no. A couple of people said 'I got that before, it means it's time to get a new modem'. Any ideas?

I ended up doing a factory reset on the router which fixed everything. Weird, since I hadn't changed any router settings for a year or so?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Does anyone have experience with wireless home internet? I live in a large city in Texas so signal shouldn’t be a problem. My apartment is ancient though so dsl isn’t an option.

The three of us stream Hulu and YouTube all the time. I’m just sick of paying $150 to xfinity every month and I’m not sure how to go about getting some of the new subscriber deals that seem way cheaper than what I have. So I figured I’d get wireless as a backup and cancel xfinity for the time being at least. We can’t be without internet at all even for a short time.

Just wondering if it’s a viable option at this point. If I buy the modem do I have to sign a contract? AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile? I’m sure I’m in a 5g area if that matters.

Sorry if this is ramble-y, I’m just dreading going out and deciphering all of the plans/deals/options out there… any advice is appreciated.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
All else being equal, assuming providers that are actually trying to provide good service, a cable provider should always be able to do better than a wireless provider. It's just a matter of how much RF bandwidth is available and what SNR can be achieved, and wired always beats wireless on those points unless the wire really sucks.

I personally would never consider a wireless internet connection as a primary service in a densely populated area. They're fine as a backup, but their use as a primary connection should be limited to places that can't get a wired link at all or can only get some poo poo-tier DSL.

Of course all else is not equal, if Comcast sucks in your area or the price is really substantially better while the difference in service doesn't matter for your use case then it might be worth considering.

If you own the modem and bought it unlocked from a general purpose retailer then it should be usable with any provider that it's compatible with. You may have to look up frequencies in use in your area to be sure of that. The ones sold directly by the cell companies tend to be locked to their service AFAIK.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 6, 2023

nerox
May 20, 2001
T-Mobile home internet is like $30/month and has like a 15 trial period. Why not just try it out for a week and if it sucks return it.

Wireless internet is one of those things no one is going to be able to tell you how it is unless they have it in your area.

FWIW, everyone I know who had T-mobile home internet in my area thought it was the greatest thing since sliced break 6 months ago. Now more people have signed up and they complain that its unusable from about 5pm to 10pm on weekdays.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah it's still a shared bandwidth thing so it's YMMV on how many people are in your area. I think they deprioritize the home internet traffic in favor of some other traffic as well, but that may be dependent on carrier.

My company actually had a person cancel fully working 500mbps symmetrical fiber in favor of t-mobile because it was cheaper and he didn't notice any speed issues for his use which made us kind of scratch our heads and go "well, uh, okay then, I guess if he's happy? It's not like we can force him to keep us" because we weren't going to drop his price to $30/month.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

wolrah posted:

All else being equal, assuming providers that are actually trying to provide good service, a cable provider should always be able to do better than a wireless provider. It's just a matter of how much RF bandwidth is available and what SNR can be achieved, and wired always beats wireless on those points unless the wire really sucks.

I personally would never consider a wireless internet connection as a primary service in a densely populated area. They're fine as a backup, but their use as a primary connection should be limited to places that can't get a wired link at all or can only get some poo poo-tier DSL.

Of course all else is not equal, if Comcast sucks in your area or the price is really substantially better while the difference in service doesn't matter for your use case then it might be worth considering.

If you own the modem and bought it unlocked from a general purpose retailer then it should be usable with any provider that it's compatible with. You may have to look up frequencies in use in your area to be sure of that. The ones sold directly by the cell companies tend to be locked to their service AFAIK.

nerox posted:

T-Mobile home internet is like $30/month and has like a 15 trial period. Why not just try it out for a week and if it sucks return it.

Wireless internet is one of those things no one is going to be able to tell you how it is unless they have it in your area.

FWIW, everyone I know who had T-mobile home internet in my area thought it was the greatest thing since sliced break 6 months ago. Now more people have signed up and they complain that its unusable from about 5pm to 10pm on weekdays.

Shugojin posted:

Yeah it's still a shared bandwidth thing so it's YMMV on how many people are in your area. I think they deprioritize the home internet traffic in favor of some other traffic as well, but that may be dependent on carrier.

My company actually had a person cancel fully working 500mbps symmetrical fiber in favor of t-mobile because it was cheaper and he didn't notice any speed issues for his use which made us kind of scratch our heads and go "well, uh, okay then, I guess if he's happy? It's not like we can force him to keep us" because we weren't going to drop his price to $30/month.

This is all really good advice and I appreciate it. I'll come back with a trip report if I can get off my butt and do something. T-Mobile trial in particular looks really good right now.

thanks!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My non-techy sister switched from AT&T Fiber to T-Mobile 5G Home Internet and she was very happy with the overall performance.

Meanwhile I'm sitting over here praying that somebody expands Fiber into my neighborhood so I can self host Plex better instead of paying over $110 for 35 Mbps upload with Xfinity.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If I remember correctly, T-Mobile's home internet is on the lowest cellular network priority level, even below MVNOs. Congested towers will hit it the absolute hardest.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

astral posted:

If I remember correctly, T-Mobile's home internet is on the lowest cellular network priority level, even below MVNOs. Congested towers will hit it the absolute hardest.

Yeah this is true, at least according to a reddit post

quote:

Reddit link

T-Mobile

T-Mobile uses QCI 6, 7, 8, and 9. They are generally considered to be only a bit behind ATT in their traffic deprioritization policies for MVNOs.

QCI 6 is applied to all of T-Mobile's postpaid and prepaid plans (except for Essentials) and Google Fi which also has QCI 6 as well. This means if you want the absolute best from T-Mobile, you want to get a plan directly from them. Even their cheap $10 prepaid 1GB Connect plan has priority data.

QCI 7 is applied to T-Mobile’s Essentials plan as well as all MVNOs (besides Google Fi) such as Mint, Metro By T-Mobile, US Mobile GSM LTE, and Tello.

QCI 8 is believed to be for any hotspot usage on a consumer plan.

QCI 9 is for their home internet service (yes, its deprioritized to last network priority) and all plans once their data bucket is exhausted.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

namlosh posted:

Does anyone have experience with wireless home internet? I live in a large city in Texas so signal shouldn’t be a problem. My apartment is ancient though so dsl isn’t an option.

The three of us stream Hulu and YouTube all the time. I’m just sick of paying $150 to xfinity every month and I’m not sure how to go about getting some of the new subscriber deals that seem way cheaper than what I have. So I figured I’d get wireless as a backup and cancel xfinity for the time being at least. We can’t be without internet at all even for a short time.

Just wondering if it’s a viable option at this point. If I buy the modem do I have to sign a contract? AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile? I’m sure I’m in a 5g area if that matters.

Sorry if this is ramble-y, I’m just dreading going out and deciphering all of the plans/deals/options out there… any advice is appreciated.

I wanted to jump in to add that "wireless" Internet service can mean a couple different things. It sounds like you're talking about cellular Internet, which is going to be the most common. There are also wireless ISPs (I used to work for one) which use their own towers and equipment and are not related to cellular stuff at all. From what I can tell the wireless ISPs have really kind of disappeared from metro areas and are mostly found in rural places without the infrastructure for wired Internet, but are still around.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ceros_X posted:

Yeah this is true, at least according to a reddit post

The de-prioritization was something I was remembering from reading up on it a while ago and I'm amazed to find out it's actually the bottom priority not just below some other things. Lol, lmao, etc

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
As a result of my decommissioning a ridiculously designed intercom/doorbell system installed by the previous owner of my house, I now have a single gang box with a cat6 cable terminating in it at about eyeball height on a prominent wall in my kitchen. Previously it held a small display to view who was at the front door and unlock it. It runs direct to my home networking "rack" so providing it with POE would be trivial, but it isn't near a power outlet (or any surfaces or shelves).

I've been googling around but I haven't found any decent solutions or ideas for this spot. The best I can come up with is a small information display of some kind, or maybe something to show some big buttons for HomeKit stuff I have going on around the house, but even in that space I haven't found many specific products to consider. It'd be nice to show who is at my doorbell (Reolink running as a homekit doorbell through Scrypted) but I have no idea how possible that is.

I've already got a wired wifi access point in the same room so no need for that sort of thing. Feels like a waste to just cover up high quality ethernet cable with a blank...

Any ideas?

Happy Pizza Guy fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 8, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

As a result of my decommissioning a ridiculously designed intercom/doorbell system installed by the previous owner of my house, I now have a single gang box with a cat6 cable terminating in it at about eyeball height on a prominent wall in my kitchen. Previously it held a small display to view who was at the front door and unlock it. It runs direct to my home networking "rack" so providing it with POE would be trivial, but it isn't near a power outlet (or any surfaces or shelves).

I've been googling around but I haven't found any decent solutions or ideas for this spot. The best I can come up with is a small information display of some kind, or maybe something to show some big buttons for HomeKit stuff I have going on around the house, but even in that space I haven't found many specific products to consider. It'd be nice to show who is at my doorbell (Reolink running as a homekit doorbell through Scrypted) but I have no idea how possible that is.

I've already got a wired wifi access point in the same room so no need for that sort of thing. Feels like a waste to just cover up high quality ethernet cable with a blank...

Any ideas?

You could make it a client to view your cameras with a raspberry pi + screen or something similar. I don't know much about homekit with scrypted but if you can load it in a browser you could display it there. There's lots of third party screens available for the Pi but the official touchscreen is 7" or so (with kind of a big bezel). Even a tablet would do it, but that wouldn't take advantage of the PoE unless you just ran a PoE to power output adapter to keep it charged. I think the new Pi 5 has a PoE hat as an official accessory so whenever those are purchasable it might be an option, although there may be something available for the 4. Of course to power the screen and the computer you might need more than just PoE, but it's worth thinking about.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Alright Ubiquiti nerds, I have friend who has weird issues with his Unifi setup - essentially, logging into a smart TV app using a phone on the same network never works. This feature is often used in apps like HBO Max, Youtube TV on tvOS and Android TV smart apps.

I also noticed while I was there that Chromecasting and Airplay is super finicky, so there must be some weird setting he needs to change.

What Unifi setting does he need to dig into to get this stuff fixed? I think he has an EdgeRouter and various APs.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 8, 2023

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Corb3t posted:

Alright Ubiquiti nerds, I have friend who has weird issues with his Unifi setup - essentially, logging into a smart TV app using a phone on the same network never works. This feature is often used in apps like HBO Max, Youtube TV on tvOS and Android TV smart apps.

I also noticed while I was there that Chromecasting and Airplay is super finicky, so there must be some weird setting he needs to change.

What Unifi setting does he need to dig into to get this stuff fixed? I think he has an EdgeRouter and various APs.

What Unifi products does he have? The edge router isn’t.

I’m not familiar with how those log ins work if they use the local network at all or if it just requires the game IP address as the source but I’d check to see if they are connected to a guest network using isolation and if they run a vpn on their phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Check in the WiFi settings for Client Device Isolation and make sure it's off. If he has multicast and broadcast control on, make sure chromecasts etc are on the list of exceptions (or turn it off).