Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
When does that open up? I didn’t see any hands in the shop, so I’m guessing the main method is supposed to be just using the Thief/Bandit’s unique stealing skill they’ll probably unlock soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Clarste posted:

When I played it in Japanese I ended up getting all my equipment from stealing.

How's the game overall? Seems legit but the item reincarnation stuff seems stupid

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's legit, but item reincarnation is stupid.

Er, I liked it a lot more than 6, it's up there with 5 in terms of just fun to play. I even beat the carnage world this time, which I never bother doing. The story gets weirdly dark for a Disgaea game, but overall I liked all the characters and enjoyed it a lot. Fuji's relationship with his daughter kind of surprised me for how heartfelt it ended up being.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

When does that open up? I didn’t see any hands in the shop, so I’m guessing the main method is supposed to be just using the Thief/Bandit’s unique stealing skill they’ll probably unlock soon.

One of the uniques has a chance to steal on kill which is amazing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Clarste posted:

One of the uniques has a chance to steal on kill which is amazing.

I’m guessing that’s the tiny ninja girl/crack addict?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Steam says Disgaea 7 on Oct 3

We don't have to wait a year after Switch/PlayStation!?

Hells yeah, I've put like ~170 hours each into 1-6 except for 3

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Steam says Disgaea 7 on Oct 3

We don't have to wait a year after Switch/PlayStation!?

Hells yeah, I've put like ~170 hours each into 1-6 except for 3

Huh, I didn't expect a PC version this early. It looks like it's the only version without a demo, though?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

Huh, I didn't expect a PC version this early. It looks like it's the only version without a demo, though?

Yeah no PC demo. They’re probably still afraid of loving it up like they did with the disgaea 5 “demo” that allowed people to modify it and play the full game for free before the actual release date.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Clarste posted:

Screwing around in the Item World to get into worlds (and pick up loot) at a much higher rank than what the shops has is how I end up playing these games every time. Item World stuff is always just so fun and dumb.

I take it Disgaea 7's item world also has a hard cap on the item ranks that show up in the regular non-LoC item worlds? IIRC it was rank 14 in 4 and 5.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Clarste posted:

I always have a high level thief, they may or may not be good at combat.

I just watched a short review that said something like regular items can item world 20 floors rare 25 and legendary 30

However you can reincarnate the items infinitely now.

I'm down with that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That's true, but item reincarnation kind of sucks because you can't guarantee it'll be the same kind of item. Grats on your level 200 candy bar.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Clarste posted:

That's true, but item reincarnation kind of sucks because you can't guarantee it'll be the same kind of item. Grats on your level 200 candy bar.

Item reincarnation stays the same rank doesn't it? Or is the rank random too? Because if so then gently caress that noise (until someone makes a mod on PC that makes item reincarnation not suck).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rank can randomly go up one tier, but I don't recall it ever going down. But either way you get three options to choose from so you probably just won't pick the bad one.

Edit: I should probably add that eventually you get a way to force it to reincarnate as exact same item it originally was, which is great if you're starting with a max rank item but less so if you were slowing climbing the ranks with an older item.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 28, 2023

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Clarste posted:

There is a way to guarantee that the item you reincarnate does end up as the same type. I believe you can also de-rank an item, but that is more of a conscious choice because you'd have to reincarnate the item without maxing out the level.

From the reviews I've watched the big thing with Item World is that you get to it later in the story than usual, and that there are a lower # of floors. Honestly a lower # of floors isn't all that bad to me, because previously it was just use my character with a billion movement to rush the exit to the next level.

Clarste posted:

Rank can randomly go up one tier, but I don't recall it ever going down. But either way you get three options to choose from so you probably just won't pick the bad one.

Edit: I should probably add that eventually you get a way to force it to reincarnate as exact same item it originally was, which is great if you're starting with a max rank item but less so if you were slowing climbing the ranks with an older item.

drat edits making my initial point, uh, pointless!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

~20 hours to steam release
I know what I'm doing after work tomorrow.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Wonder why I can't pre-order it digitally for Switch?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Can someone explain to a complete idiot how evil gachas work? I don’t get it at all.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I'd totally forgotten that Disgaea was due to be released in 10 hours or so. Might take a break from my Cyberpunk addiction.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mayveena posted:

evil gachas

The implication that there's another kind

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Mayveena posted:

Can someone explain to a complete idiot how evil gachas work? I don’t get it at all.

I believe that instead of standard hospital rewards, it just pulls a random item as a reward every time you hit some threshold. That item is most likely going to be a piece of equipment but stuff like skill scrolls are in the list too

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Deki posted:

I believe that instead of standard hospital rewards, it just pulls a random item as a reward every time you hit some threshold. That item is most likely going to be a piece of equipment but stuff like skill scrolls are in the list too

Besides this, once you randomly pull one of each item on the target list you can claim the bonus item and the target list resets

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Good Citizen posted:

Besides this, once you randomly pull one of each item on the target list you can claim the bonus item and the target list resets

I don't seem to be able to do a pull unless I uncheck something. I also posted this question on reddit because I'm extremely frustrated. I need all the help I can get in Disgaea games and I feel like I need to know what I'm doing here.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Mayveena posted:

I don't seem to be able to do a pull unless I uncheck something. I also posted this question on reddit because I'm extremely frustrated. I need all the help I can get in Disgaea games and I feel like I need to know what I'm doing here.

I think you need to pass a dark assembly bill first iirc? Really just going off a few hours of demo play a few weeks ago here but I recall it being pretty straightforward after the bill is passed

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Will someone please give an honest review (doesn't have to be paragraphs) of this iteration? I skipped 6 but played 5C. I'm trying to decide if I want to dive head first into this or keep playing CS2 and Minecraft. I love these games (FFT is a fav) and will play it eventually regardless but priority-wise I could use some words.

I've watched some youtube videos and whatnot but I trust goon reviews more for some reason.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Garfu posted:

Will someone please give an honest review (doesn't have to be paragraphs) of this iteration? I skipped 6 but played 5C. I'm trying to decide if I want to dive head first into this or keep playing CS2 and Minecraft. I love these games (FFT is a fav) and will play it eventually regardless but priority-wise I could use some words.

I've watched some youtube videos and whatnot but I trust goon reviews more for some reason.

I mean it’s been out in English for 30 minutes. It came directly to pc on release this time and the performance there seems good tho?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So now that I've paid a whopping $112 for the complete version on Steam like a sucker, I feel comfortable letting folks know that I've been able to play it on Switch for a bit now (cough) and I've played up to the final chapter, so here's some infos.

-The story is better than the front half of D6 but IMO still not as fun as 5, and is very, very anime.
-Main game plays pretty much no different than previous iterations. You can break it over your knee by getting a few class *'s and reincarnating.
-Quest shop is back, yay!
-Class unlocks are bound to story progress; quests to unlock them are metered out as you reach new chapters.
-If basic UI functions and things seem weirdly unavailable, check the dark assembly, many things now need to be unlocked there first, but the bills aren't hard to pass.
-One novel difference is that many maps, especially in the back half of the story, just require defeating a 'boss' unit to complete. Like, not even final chapter maps.
-The DLC extra character battles are actually hard, with geo tricks and whatnots. You might not be able to just grab all DLC characters immediately.
-Prinny Instructor / Prinny Hat combo is there but has been reduced to 20% instead of 100%. Still worth it.
-You can adjust Class XP yield in the cheat shop now. Edit: Wait, that was in D6 too apparently
-A couple evilities claim to grant EXP but actually grant *Skill EXP*. It's obvious which ones. Other translation issues abound, check your character's actual bonuses in battle to confirm things do what you expect.
-As far as I can tell, auto-battle/Poltergas is only useful for two things: PVP (playing offline, haven't tried) and auto-repeating cleared maps. It is COMPLETELY DISABLED and unusable for item worlding. I do not yet know how that's going to effect postgame progression.
-For some reason they now color damage numbers based on the damage type, instead of damage/healing/critical; fire is red, wind is green etc.
-Litt

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 3, 2023

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm kinda shellshocked at the price for the ultimate bundle.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Good Citizen posted:

I mean it’s been out in English for 30 minutes. It came directly to pc on release this time and the performance there seems good tho?

I expect my reviews to coincide with the exact moment the game is released.

(my bad I didn't realize)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

OhFunny posted:

They typically charge $60 for the complete DLC pack on top of the $60 for the game, re-releases normally include all this DLC for free but it's just more characters. Not like they are locking an expanded itemworld or something.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Fuji’s English voice actor is amazing :allears:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

pixaal posted:

They typically charge $60 for the complete DLC pack on top of the $60 for the game, re-releases normally include all this DLC for free but it's just more characters. Not like they are locking an expanded itemworld or something.

Yeah, I saw the $100 complete edition and had to look at the DLC to figure out where that number came from. In addition to the $10 charge for deluxe, there's a $40 season pass, which should cover all of those characters and whatever else they want to release for it. It's a lot.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

So far (chapter 3) just soloing the game with a punchy boy thief and a tagalong healbot

Just give me all your loot chumps

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Same. Disgaea 5's EN release having all the DLC and still just costing the regular price was wonderful and spoiled me because it meant I was able to immediately grab characters like Laharl, Metallia, and Desco and ran a team of almost no generics for a long time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Are the D7 DLC maps like postgame stuff?

Also, $10 for D5 on PC is tempting since I never got around to completing that. On the one hand I already have it on the switch. On the other, my TV is kinda fucky at the moment, I do not like playing handheld on switch, and I would be able to play it on Steam Deck :v:

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

$197 Canadian, launch week sale its only $138!!
$150 down to $105 US!

What in the holy hell?
D6 hasn't gone below 35% off and this one is 30% off now. Is this going to be the cheapest it will get for 2 years?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Are the D7 DLC maps like postgame stuff?

They are available immediately

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Good Citizen posted:

They are available immediately

Hm, well, now that I think on it, even though I do not like to pass up side story content I think I will pass on the DLC stuff for now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Unlucky7 posted:

Hm, well, now that I think on it, even though I do not like to pass up side story content I think I will pass on the DLC stuff for now.

It's extra characters often with powerful passive you can abuse.

Most of it is just I like this character from a previous game I want them in this one.

Some will enable you to break the game in new ways, but the entire post game is about breaking the game what's 3 more?

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
Oof, I was ready to pay $70-80 but definitely not worth almost doubling the price for some more characters. Worst part is that if you don't care about the fluff (cosmetics, art book, etc) you're only saving about $10 by buying the bundle. ($60 base + $8x7 story DLC is $116).

Base game is fine for now, maybe I'll grab the DLC when it's on sale eventually. Or grab the ones that look good piecemeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

pixaal posted:

It's extra characters often with powerful passive you can abuse.

Most of it is just I like this character from a previous game I want them in this one.

Some will enable you to break the game in new ways, but the entire post game is about breaking the game what's 3 more?

I was never huge into Guest characters so the sidestory stuff was the thing I was mainly interested in. :shrug: