Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I still don't understand how that's a thing. I've been using optical fingerprint sensors since the OnePlus 6T and I've never seen the light from the sensor on any device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It seems you wither have a large thumb or are very precise. I see the light at least once a day. But even if I perfectly cover the sensor with my digit, it still glows through pretty strongly.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Maybe if we had a physical divot on the back that both guided your finger placement and used no light...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm fine with capacitive fingerprint sensors, but just put them on the power button. No need to weaken the backplate and create another ingress point or attach more wires coming off the backplate when you already have a power button right there. I honestly had more failed reads from the Pixel 5 sensor than I ever had from the Pixel 6 Pro or Pixel 7 Pro because the sensor placement was awkward. I would have to arch my hand in an unnatural way in order to bring my fingertip towards the center of the back of the device, leading to my finger being misaligned.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Have been thinking about upgrading from my Pixel 4A for a while and now that I managed to drop and break the screen I have an excuse. Isn't the Pixel 7A a pretty safe pick?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

I still don't understand how that's a thing. I've been using optical fingerprint sensors since the OnePlus 6T and I've never seen the light from the sensor on any device.

Maybe they use their pinky finger?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Laughing Zealot posted:

Have been thinking about upgrading from my Pixel 4A for a while and now that I managed to drop and break the screen I have an excuse. Isn't the Pixel 7A a pretty safe pick?

I'm selling my 4 month old Pixel 7 for a good price if you're interested. It's near mint, always in a case/screen protector. I can check battery health level this evening and make an SA Mart listing if you (or anyone else) is interested.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Are you going back to ios?

Also it time for the quarterly fingerprint sensor discussgument already

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

Like you, I have pretty big hands (we bringing back the basketball discussion?), but every once in a while I'll get my thumb not quite in the right spot. I won't go so far as some of the ridiculous hyperbole I've seen here and say it blinded me, even at night, but it's pretty bright.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mental Hospitality posted:

Someone got their hands on a Pixel 8 Pro already.
https://youtube.com/shorts/fsAUjOqnOm0?si=wccvoJ0MMNQhobzT

According to the poster, it retains the optical fp scanner. Might still use the same GN1 sensor for the main camera as well. I personally am just super hyped for the new display and it looks like the G3 might be a pretty decent SoC this year.

Any particular leaks on the G3? All I've seen is generic stuff that could have been written a year ago.

I say this every year, but I'm going to try to sit out the 8. My main disappointment with the 7 is the battery life, at least when I'm in work. It's not too bad at home on WiFi but the battery gets absolutely bungalowed otherwise. I'd love to see the regular 8 get one of those sweet sweet LTPO screens that go down to 1Hz but that's probably not going to happen until the Pixel 9 or 10, I imagine.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I've been using my new 7a for a week now, and while not having to worry about charging the battery three times a day is great, yeah the in-screen fingerprint sensor is dogshit compared to my 3a's rear one. I reckon it works 1/4 of the time, and I'm not totally certain that the one time it works it's actually using face unlock instead.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any particular leaks on the G3? All I've seen is generic stuff that could have been written a year ago.

Just speculation based on supposed synthetic benchmarks.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Googl...s.756901.0.html

Around 20% higher than G2, about on par with the Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1. Which isn't awful really. I never expected it to be at the level of the 8 Gen 2. I'm more interested in efficiency gains personally.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Carpet posted:

I've been using my new 7a for a week now, and while not having to worry about charging the battery three times a day is great, yeah the in-screen fingerprint sensor is dogshit compared to my 3a's rear one. I reckon it works 1/4 of the time, and I'm not totally certain that the one time it works it's actually using face unlock instead.

Typically it should get better as it learns your print. I've gotten used to holding my thumb there until it unlocks or fails, no quick taps like with my old back-of-phone reader. It has a solid hit rate once you get used to it I'd say. The biggest Achilles heel seems to be being outside with bright light. In that case I just pinpad it, although maybe covering the screen from the sunlight with my other hand would help?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pvt. Parts posted:

Typically it should get better as it learns your print. I've gotten used to holding my thumb there until it unlocks or fails, no quick taps like with my old back-of-phone reader. It has a solid hit rate once you get used to it I'd say. The biggest Achilles heel seems to be being outside with bright light. In that case I just pinpad it, although maybe covering the screen from the sunlight with my other hand would help?

Yeah, my Pixel 6 rarely fails at this point, and if anything is more reliable than the rear sensor on my previous Motorola phone. Never had a problem with bright sunlight, but then again I'm a mostly nocturnal creature.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Branch Nvidian posted:

Checking in to say my Xperia 1 V still owns and I tried to use my iPhone again for like a day and I hated it. Congratulations Sony, you finally did it.

Can I get more impressions of the Xperia 1 V please? Eyeing this phone because:
- I love photography, and their lens + manual mode seems like a beast
- It's not so cookie cutter, at least in terms of design

But I do have a few qualms:
- Not sure how good the UI/OS and battery life are
- The "out of the box auto mode" photography seems to range from great to iffy and I'm wondering how much it'll bother me that I can't take a snap quickly

Also it's very expensive so I'm not sure if there are other considerations. If I get it, it'll probably be the most expensive phone I've ever bought.

Alternatively considering the Zenphone which is considerably cheaper and everything but photography is top tier. The Mi 13 Ultra is another one that seems good but for a phone that's being pushed as a camera powerhouse, it doesn't.....seem that great, especially the selfie camera.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Artelier posted:

Can I get more impressions of the Xperia 1 V please? Eyeing this phone because:
- I love photography, and their lens + manual mode seems like a beast
- It's not so cookie cutter, at least in terms of design

But I do have a few qualms:
- Not sure how good the UI/OS and battery life are
- The "out of the box auto mode" photography seems to range from great to iffy and I'm wondering how much it'll bother me that I can't take a snap quickly

Also it's very expensive so I'm not sure if there are other considerations. If I get it, it'll probably be the most expensive phone I've ever bought.

Alternatively considering the Zenphone which is considerably cheaper and everything but photography is top tier. The Mi 13 Ultra is another one that seems good but for a phone that's being pushed as a camera powerhouse, it doesn't.....seem that great, especially the selfie camera.

So I can tell you that it is very much a "creator" oriented phone. I'm honestly not much of a photographer, but the 21:9 aspect ratio screen with no hole punch or notch and front firing speakers were a big consideration for me as a media consumer. It's unmistakably a Sony device, it's exactly what one would imagine Sony would make, so in a lot of ways it's kind of like an Android-based successor to the iPhone 4/4S (which internal documents from Apple showed they were trying to make what they thought Sony would design).

The UI/OS is fine. It's almost stock Android, so if you've used a Pixel and found that enjoyable or serviceable then the Xperia is no different. There are a few added Sony things, namely the "Side Sense" shortcut that lets you assign a few things to gestures. Battery life, despite having a "4k" screen is shockingly good. I tend to be a pretty heavy user with streaming HQ music from Tidal or watching youtube on cellular and the battery easily lasts me all day. The first 10% of the battery or so seems to drain really fast but then it levels off after that. On a few occasions I've gotten it down to 10% after a day of extremely heavy use, but I've yet to have it actually run out of juice on me.

The out of the box auto mode is fine, IMHO. Again, as someone who isn't a real photographer I'm not sure I can really give you the details you're hoping for, but I can say that I can pull the phone out of my pocket, press+hold the camera button to launch directly into it, and snap pictures of my cats and be perfectly fine with the quality. There is less algorithmic/computational stuff going on even in the basic mode, and none in the more advanced modes.

I hope that was the kind of information you're looking for. I'm happy to provide any other impressions you might be interested in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I say this every year, but I'm going to try to sit out the 8. My main disappointment with the 7 is the battery life, at least when I'm in work. It's not too bad at home on WiFi but the battery gets absolutely bungalowed otherwise. I'd love to see the regular 8 get one of those sweet sweet LTPO screens that go down to 1Hz but that's probably not going to happen until the Pixel 9 or 10, I imagine.

Effort post time.

There weren't a ton of significant changes between the G1 and G2, but it was a solid improvement.

G1: 2 X1 cores, 2 A76 Cores, 4 A55 Cores
G2: 2 X1 cores, 2 A78 Cores, 4 A55 Cores (with the big and mid getting a slight clock speed bump)

the G1 had a Mali G78 MP20 GPU while the G2 had a Mali G710 GPU. The GPU change was, from what I understand, the source of performance, thermal, and efficiency improvements over the G1 due G78 GPU having a lot of extra silicon that didn't help the AI operations much.

Both of these were built on Samsung's 5nm process node which, while not the best in terms of efficiency, was better than the 4nm LPE (assumed due to production timeframe, they just state it's LPX) that the SD8 Gen 1 was on (which was reported to only have around 35% yields at the time.)

The G1 had an older Exynos 5100 modem while the G2 had the new (not even announced until a day before the Pixel 7 launch) Exynos 5300 modem.

From here on out, everything is based on leaks but confidence level is high.

The G3 drastically changes the core arrangement and type, moving to modern ARM arch.

1 x Cortex X3
4 x Cortex A715
4 x Cortex A510

So, gone are the two big cores, only have one big core, and the mid and small are the more modern ARM reference arch. All of this is supposed to be on the newer 4nm LPP process which has been stated to have yields similar to TSMC's 4nm process. Now, yields don't necessarily mean that the power efficiency will be as good, but it's a positive indicator. Better yields usually mean chips that can perform the same at lower power levels.

The GPU has be reported so far to be the Mali G715. Many were hoping for the Immortalis G715, but early hardware readouts so far don't indicate that. It should still be a good bump in GPU performance.

The modem is reported to still be the 5300, but a later hardware revision that could have optimizations, but no real detail on that.

Some benchmarks that surfaced yesterday put the G3 between the SD8+ Gen1 and SD8 Gen 2 for geekbench scores (with clockspeeds that appeared to be underclocked), being about 6-10% below the SD8 Gen 2. Of course, that sent people in to a rage about "even if it matched SD8 Gen 2, that's last years chip and Gen 3 is about to come out." However, if google had stuck with Qualcomm, this phone would be launching with SD8 Gen 2 anyways since that's the way product timelines work. So, the complaints on that front seem hyperbolic as usual.

Other hardware readouts yesterday seem to confirm both the GN1 main camera sensor (so no hardware upgrade there to the rumored GN2). It also confirmed Goodix as the manufacturer of the fingerprint sensor on both models which means the same optical sensor that every phone that's not Samsung has. So, GN2 and ultrasonic are both rumors that appear to be false (also sending reddit into a rage.)

What we don't know is what custom silicon Google has carved out this time on the SoC die for ML accelerated stuff as the real estate they seem to be using has been increasing with each generation. My gut tells me that G3 is going to be a marked improvement over the G1 and G2 in several areas and should be a pretty worthy upgrade.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Good effort post that sums up a lot of what we've been seeing the last couple days.

There's also reddit rage over the exynos 5300 modem but I honestly thought reception and performance of my P7Pro was pretty good. It holds onto a voice/data connection better than my snapdragon OnePlus 11 at my work (a huge hospital that is very antagonistic towards cell reception). Good enough even that I never have to use the public Wi-Fi here anyways. Some of that may be due to antenna design of course.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/thisistechtoday/status/1708928673993158811

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mental Hospitality posted:

There's also reddit rage over the exynos 5300 modem but I honestly thought reception and performance of my P7Pro was pretty good.

Same. I'm on T-Mobile in the northeast and I haven't been able to discern any difference between my P7P, Pixel Fold, S23U, Fold 4, and OnePlus 11 as far as reception or data goes. I keep 5G on all the time with my Pixels without issue too.

I switched back to my P7P for a week in mid September for vacation since I didn't want to take the Pixel Fold to the beach. I was a passenger on a 700ish car ride and had zero reception issues the entire ride down and back. Easily used the phone for 7ish hours on 5g browsing and shitposting with zero problems, sure the battery was reaching the dregs by the end (15-20%) but it was about as heavy use as I do and it lasted fine and didn't have reception or heating issues.

I don't doubt that some people have issues, but cell reception is SUCH a highly variable thing. You can have a local cell site having issues for a week or two to cause outlier problems. There can be environmental factors. Crowd factors. Maintenance work. Provisioning issues. It's really hard to tell, without the proper testing and clear data, if signal issues as the result of the phone have any higher rate of occurrence than anything else out there or if the S/N ratio is out of whack.

I really considered taking the S23U on the trip, but looking back I can't think of anything that it may have done better. My battery was fine, I could view the P7P just fine in the bright South Carolina sun. Heat wasn't an issue either even though I was taking pictures and using my phone in 90 degree heat and full sun. It's a mystery.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Why can't we move on from glossy backs. Just one big smudge factory. :barf:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Artelier posted:

Can I get more impressions of the Xperia 1 V please?

I've got the 1 IV and with regards to the camera system I'd say that if you're spending 20 seconds in one of the manual modes composing a photo the results you can get are absolutely phenomenal, but in fully auto basic mode (which is different to fully auto pro mode, and is the default when you open the camera app) the pictures are definitely a notch below the pixel 7a that I came from.

The big differences I'd say are that in auto it tends to be much less HDR-y and generally a bit under exposed - pretty much every photo I take quickly in basic/auto mode I have to go and crank the brightness on a bit before sharing. I didn't realise how much I liked the default Pixel look until I didn't have it anymore.

The actual detail/quality is great and those above caveats are very much subjective aesthetic things, so they may not bother you at all. Personally I solved them by installing a modded version of GCam, but that can be a little bit buggy in its own ways.

Two things I love about the 1 IV camera though are the absolutely fantastic eye focus/focus speed and the ability to do bursts of 20 full-res HDR shots. Those are killer.

Battery life has been fantastic too, but YMMV on the V cos different chipset etc.

blunt fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 3, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

smoobles posted:

Why can't we move on from glossy backs. Just one big smudge factory. :barf:

My s23u has a matte back :smugbert:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

that blue color is horrendous

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

blunt posted:

Battery life has been fantastic too, but YMMV on the V cos different chipset etc.

Fwiw according to accubattery, my 1 V's battery life is 11 hours screen on, 48 hours screen off, and 25 hours combined. From everything I've read the 1 V tends to have better battery life than the 1 IV due to a more efficient chipset, but also individual use habits likely guide this more than anything else.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Another great post, you magnificent beast.

The CPU part of phone chips has felt great to me for the past few years. Probably in the area of diminishing returns in that regard, but I suppose the machine learning, onboard AI, language stuff can always use a bump. Can never have shutter speed too fast etc. I'd love to see battery life match or exceed the likes of the Snapdragon 765G in the Pixel 5, I take it that's just not on the cards for the flagship SoCs?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there an APK-less root option for 4.4.2? Ideally an online web-based one?

I have a mini projector that runs android, but its pretty locked down. It only has apps for settings (no dev mode or USB debug that I can find), a movie player which is pretty useless, a file browser which is extremely locked down (wont even show APK files), and an app store that I think is an ancient version of aptoide that wont update any more.

I can force a browser to open by hitting "reset my password" in the app store, which pops open a chrome tab and goes to the aptoide password reset page.

From there I can surf wherever I want. The problem is that every root option (towelroot, etc) wants to download an APK, which the projector will do, but the file browser wont show the files, let alone run them.

Do I have any options here? Can you run APK's by typing their path in a chrome address bar?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Do they usually have reviews up right after the announcement or are reviewers only getting their devices in the coming days? I'm curious to read a deep dive on the 8, since I could probably upgrade for 200-300 Euro between trade-ins and selling the Pixel Watch 2 but from just the spec sheet I don't see the value over the 7.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's probably only going to be hands on today with initial impressions and unboxings and I wouldn't expect the full embargo to drop until next week sometime. You see that pretty much with all tech stuff.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

It's probably only going to be hands on today with initial impressions and unboxings and I wouldn't expect the full embargo to drop until next week sometime. You see that pretty much with all tech stuff.

What's your take based on the specs so far? More of a refresh than a substantial upgrade?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I do hope 14 drops today. I've been swiping away the ota beta downgrade for ages now

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

What's your take based on the specs so far? More of a refresh than a substantial upgrade?

It's more of a substantial upgrade than the 7 was to the 6. The G3 is pretty much ground up different from the G2. The displays also look significantly upgraded, especially in the Pro where it's finally an LTPO panel. Both of those things SHOULD translate to quite a noticeable improvement in battery and thermals.

In old intel parlance 6 was a Tock, the 7 was a Tick, and they 8 looks to be a Tock.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
If these upgrades are enough to allow for smooth scrolling of the Google Now feed for the first time, hell, I might even upgrade myself.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Scrolls fine on my Fold and Pixel 7 Pro?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Merry Pixmas in ~10 minutes, link for the lazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxlaUCJZ27E

Verge liveblog

Skarsnik posted:

I do hope 14 drops today. I've been swiping away the ota beta downgrade for ages now

Base Android 14 is so subtle user facing feature wise that you have wonder if part of the delay was timing it with a Pixel feature drop that they announce today to blur the lines.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well something is happening as its no longer offering me the downgrade to 13 when I check for updates

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Watching the keynote ... they just heavily implied "and our camera isn't racist!" (Paraphrasing, "true skin tone" while showing a photo of a black person)

I wonder how that will go over. It's been an issue through all digital cameras and since the beginning of film photography.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

they announced that true tone feature like 4 years ago

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, Real Tone was a headline feature of the Pixel 6 series and it has received positive feedback of really making a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

ShoogaSlim posted:

they announced that true tone feature like 4 years ago

Yeah it's been a good idea that seems to not make waves in a negative way https://store.google.com/intl/en/ideas/real-tone/