Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

vuk83 posted:

Am I the only one disappointed that the ucs venator doesn’t have sliding hangar doors?

Well I am now I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

vuk83 posted:

Am I the only one disappointed that the ucs venator doesn’t have sliding hangar doors?

Nah, it's actually a bit of a deal killer for me that they don't open up and reveal a landing deck.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Just ordered 31139 Cozy House and 31131 Noodle Shop. They're going to be in the "old" part of town between the farms and the modern, sleek-looking downtown+apartment combo. I keep finding good deals on this stuff and they're all going out in Dec.2023 so I'd rather get them now for a discount than in a year or two for 30%+ markup.

Do not take any financial advice from me, ever!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

maybealabia posted:

The weird dudes on Lego Master pronounced MOC like "mock" but I always just read it as M. O. C.

Opinions? Objections?

As English tends towards the path of least resistance it's mock instead of em oh cee

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 3, 2023

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

vuk83 posted:

One of the YouTube reviews linked up thread mentioned the lack of sliding hanger door. He mentioned that it would have required a complete rework of the set, as there is the Technic frame running right through that whole area.

While I think it would have been nice to have, I don’t think it would have been worth the extra cost, or change in size to make it work.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

drat like the defining feature of the ship other than the dual bridges. Lame.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

As English tends towards the path of least resistance it's mock instead of em oh cee

Awful

Well I'll probably never say it out loud to anybody anyway

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
you down with MOC?
Yeah you know me

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Just bought the Tranquil Garden in Auchan Luxembourg for €82, with €32 immediately going back onto the store card in credit making it effectively less than half the RRP of €105. I think there's a French goon that posts here, maybe they have the same deal there.

Was planning on getting it at some point anyway but jumped at that offer and now have a set ready for a rainy day build.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've got a kid that just graduated from duplo. He's really into road plates and playsets. The problem for us right now is that our play room is all carpeted, so play set stability kind of stinks

I've been eyeing the slab dream lab backed by mdf and a frame for wife acceptance, but I'm wondering what other folks have done to solve the carpet problem.

Some of the tables and things on Etsy look interesting, but wanted to check with y'all before I drop a few hundred USD on a solution. Have considered building something myself (picture frame or white board plus jumbo base plates or something like that

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I know that a big piece of cardboard isn't MUCH better than carpet, but might give you an interim solution

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

TorakFade posted:

Edit: and I will most definitely need this:

:sickos:

Weren't there pics of this set secretly dropped?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Flyinglemur posted:

I know that a big piece of cardboard isn't MUCH better than carpet, but might give you an interim solution

Yeah that's what we're doing right now, but not passing spouse approval unfortunately

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
When I was a kid we just had like a big slab of finished wood that my monorail etc lived on that lived under the ping pong table and could be easily slid out and back under.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Weren't there pics of this set secretly dropped?

there were some floating around on Reddit and the like, but they were extremely low-res and people tried to upscale them with AI with ... kinda bad results. All you could really tell is there will be animal moulds, and at least 2 big buildings, which is basically just saying "yes it will be a Lego medieval civilian set". Lots of theorycrafting going on, and nothing from Lego to confirm or deny anything. Castle is the theme I'm most in love with, so a big medieval market village is riiiiight up my alley to go next to the Lion's Castle and I'm chomping at the bit for more info :holy:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Gyshall posted:

Yeah that's what we're doing right now, but not passing spouse approval unfortunately

Sounds like you need a new spouse, problem solved

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When I was a kid, I had a slab of masonite that used to be the wood paneling in the family room. For my nephew, my dad just got a plastic play table and cut up some cheap base plates and glued them to the table.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Since I have The Mighty Bowser and will be getting the Piranha Plant, I kind of want to have one of those Mario figures for the display. What's the cheapest way to obtain one, just buy it loose from Bricklink? Or is there a reasonably priced set that includes one?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

maybealabia posted:

The weird dudes on Lego Master pronounced MOC like "mock" but I always just read it as M. O. C.

Opinions? Objections?

I read it in my head as M.O.C, but on the incredibly rare occasion I say it out loud I say mock. It's really not a term you'd ever use around normal people, so I think I've only used it when talking to my friends wifes brother, who is a Lego nut who owns a Bricks and minifigs store. Say moc around anyone else and you just sound like a weirdo.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Moc-Moc-A-Moc

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Skios posted:

Since I have The Mighty Bowser and will be getting the Piranha Plant, I kind of want to have one of those Mario figures for the display. What's the cheapest way to obtain one, just buy it loose from Bricklink? Or is there a reasonably priced set that includes one?

You mean the Adventures with Mario figure? Those go on sale pretty regularly for under $40. That's probably your best best for a new one because resellers sell them new for around $40.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3861094537...ItemCondition=3

There ya go. $36 shipped.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 3, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...2iconly%22:0%7D
The Pixelated Mario from the SNES is under 3 bucks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The local target near me has an NES set at cost and it tempts me every time. Anyone who has it: is it good?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

The local target near me has an NES set at cost and it tempts me every time. Anyone who has it: is it good?

I had a lot of fun with the NES set, but for me it was partially peak nostalgia. I was in 2nd grade when I got an NES just a little while after they released (yup I am a bit old). But the build was interesting and fun. Seeing the television come together was really cool and having the screen move was fun the first couple of times. It helps that it is pretty close (or maybe actually) 1:1 scale.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

HootTheOwl posted:

It's great. It's a good display piece and a fun build.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Thirding that the nes was a fun build and looks nice too.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Skios posted:

Electronic Mario is cooler than I thought he would be, but his giant lifeless eyes when he's turned off are really creepy. Peach is even creepier.

Here are a few ideas:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-129563/Neits89/8-bit-super-mario-bros-sprite-jumping/#details
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-142658/delight_moc/mario-super-mario-bros/#details
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-154766/dtcdtcdtcbricks/mario-8-bit/#details

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 3, 2023

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I finished the Concorde today. This thing rules. It takes up my entire coffee table. Probably one of the most satisfying builds I’ve put together in a long time. And converting it to a BA or AF livery wouldn’t be that hard.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

HootTheOwl posted:

its a great build. i honestly like the TV more than the NES itself, and would almost buy it specifically for the TV.

the loading mechanism for the NES is cool, but it does require a little fix to work consistently imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VM53ffqndc

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think the NES (and atari) builds look so nice and I have plenty of nostalgia for both, but I cannot bring myself to want them on my shelf for the same reasons I wouldn't do it with an actual console.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

I think the NES (and atari) builds look so nice and I have plenty of nostalgia for both, but I cannot bring myself to want them on my shelf for the same reasons I wouldn't do it with an actual console.

Because they’d both just sit there collecting dust?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

that's pretty much why i don't have the atari and why i consider the CRT TV to be the highlight of the NES set

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Skios posted:

The Architecture set for the Lego House is available now on Lego.com for Europe and the UK. £44.99/€49.99.

I was in Billund last year and was sure I was going to pick this up, but in person it was a bit bland. I ended up getting the Orchids, no regrets.

The actual House itself was a great time.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Thanks for the tips everyone!

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Flyinglemur posted:

Sounds like you need a new spouse, problem solved

Or no spouse, I sleep in a big bed with my LEGO

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I sleep in a minfig, do you?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The Lego thread and the GBS USA thread were next to each other in my bookmarks and for a minute I thought the Lego thread title had been changed to LEGO thread: this is not a place of honor.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

bird with big dick posted:

The Lego thread and the GBS USA thread were next to each other in my bookmarks and for a minute I thought the Lego thread title had been changed to LEGO thread: this is not a place of honor.

No highly esteemed build is commemorated here.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Forbidding Blocks
A network of hundreds of house-sized stone blocks, dyed black and arranged in an irregular square grid, suggesting a network of "streets" which feel ominous and lead nowhere. The blocks are intended to make a large area entirely unsuitable for farming or other future use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

TorakFade posted:

Just ordered 31139 Cozy House and 31131 Noodle Shop. They're going to be in the "old" part of town between the farms and the modern, sleek-looking downtown+apartment combo. I keep finding good deals on this stuff and they're all going out in Dec.2023 so I'd rather get them now for a discount than in a year or two for 30%+ markup.

Do not take any financial advice from me, ever!

I built the third pattern of Cozy House (multi-story canal house) with my little guy and it was great, but I’m kicking myself for not building the main pattern first because now I feel like I gotta sort the pieces before we build the main pattern, so I’m not spending the whole time searching.