Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Jeffries publically: This is a serious and somber moment
Jeffries internally: lol, lmao

This has got to be a genuinely very funny time to be a House Democrat, after years (decades?) of media pieces about Dems In Disarray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Main Paineframe posted:

. If the House successfully votes in a Democratic peaker while the House has a Republican majority, every Republican that backed the effort will almost certainly be facing a well-funded primary challenger with the full backing of right-wing media.

If the dems won the speaker position, the gop has not secured a majority.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I know everyone is currently fixated on Kevin McCarthy, but we got some other news out of Arizona this morning:

Arizona to end deal allowing Saudi farms to suck Arizona's groundwater dry

quote:

LA PAZ COUNTY, Ariz. — The overseas company sucking water out of the Arizona ground will no longer be able to do so, according to an announcement from Gov. Katie Hobbs on Monday citing a default on the company's lease.

Hobbs said the State Land Department has terminated one of Fondomonte Arizona LLC’s four Butler Valley leases and also gave notice the State would not renew the company’s three other leases in the Valley when they expire in February 2024.

More in the link, but AZ has reviewed the leases and believe they have cause to terminate one of the leases that allows this company to grow alfalfa to export to Saudi Arabia, and will allow the other leases to expire. Fondomonte is, of course, going to fight this as much as they can - but I doubt they'll win. The major implication here is that it will relieve some stress on the Colorado River, which supplies a number of states. This is the same river/watershed that's been the source of contention over water rights over the last several years given the historic drought facing the western US, so unless Fondomonte is somehow successful in court, it should provide some relief to Arizona and possibly other states as well.

Pretty big win for everyone involved, unless you're Fondomonte or a Saudi cattle rancher.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One House Freedom Caucus member already getting cold feet.

https://twitter.com/RepDanBishop/status/1709234505855193181

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sounds like he's retiring as well?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

zoux posted:

He’s running for Attorney General.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Yeah, he's not running for re-election to the house because he wants to run for Attorney General of North Carolina.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Quorum posted:

Dems In Disarray.

Republicans without Recourse ?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Conservatives in Chaos

It really is a structural disadvantage that there's no synonym for disarray that starts with "R"

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Republicans in Ruin

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Morrow posted:

Republicans in Ruin

Republicans to Riot

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Rickety Republicans

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Morrow posted:

Republicans in Ruin

i like

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Is "Mr. McCarthy is an accurate reflection of the current House Republican Conference" supposed to be a compliment? Because it really, really doesn't come off as one

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

haveblue posted:

Is "Mr. McCarthy is an accurate reflection of the current House Republican Conference" supposed to be a compliment? Because it really, really doesn't come off as one

Oh I think it’s supposed to be an insult. Especially considering where it’s coming from.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

It's not.

He's basically saying that McCarthy sucks and is a RINO, unlike true freedom-loving patriots such as himself, but there aren't enough freedom lovers in Congress and he is regrettably going to have to support McCarthy because it will empower the Democrats if the House is in chaos and unable to credibly negotiate or threaten to send legislation to the Senate.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I think it's meant to be a policy thing. Gaetz wants to remove him primarily because he supports funding for Ukraine, but that is also the position of the party, so removing him for that is not really productive

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Blue Dog and Problem Solvers Caucuses are both confirming they won't attempt to help McCarthy. That means there will be 0 Democrats to support any motion to keep McCarthy unless he agrees to powersharing agreements.

It is honestly impressive that McCarthy has managed to systematically burn every possible bridge in congress at once.

Conservative Republicans, Moderate Republicans, all the Republican leadership except for Steve Scalise, Moderate Democrats, Liberal Democrats, Democratic Leadership, and even the MTG's who are crazy, but no longer part of the Freedom Caucus all say they can't trust him because he has lied to them and made too many promises he never fulfilled.

But, there is literally nobody who they can all agree on to replace him, so despite being hated and distrusted by literally everyone in congress, McCarthy is still just barely holding on by making it an election of himself vs. Democrats and/or anarchy.

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1709227538482860094
https://twitter.com/MZanona/status/1709241735308620254

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

That means the potential scenarios are (in order of likelihood):

- Everyone decides to go home and just try again after the 2024 election.

I know this was the bottom of the list, but I don't think a scenario where the government is shut down for like 14 months is a thing that could happen. Not paying your military for a year is a good way for bad poo poo to happen pretty fast.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gully Foyle posted:

I know this was the bottom of the list, but I don't think a scenario where the government is shut down for like 14 months is a thing that could happen. Not paying your military for a year is a good way for bad poo poo to happen pretty fast.

(I know. That was the joke answer because it was at the bottom of the list and implied that Gaetz would rather go home for 14 months than admit he lost.)

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
So, with all house dems voting to remove McCarthy, what is the threshold in terms of far-right votes needed to remove?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

smug n stuff posted:

So, with all house dems voting to remove McCarthy, what is the threshold in terms of far-right votes needed to remove?

Since the balance of power is currently 221 R to 212 D, he can lose four (Gaetz plus three others) without being fired. A fifth Republican voting to vacate and he's toast. Anybody not voting or voting present would change the calculus slightly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

smug n stuff posted:

It depends how many people are voting "Present" or not there to vote. It would be 5 most likely. Unless there is some kind of mass Present vote or people not voting.

The problem is that a new speaker has to get 218 votes (minus vacancies) and nobody has any idea who could actually do that.

It's pretty easy to topple him with just a few Republican votes, but not easy to find someone who can get a majority to replace him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My guess is he's removed abs then eventually voted back in due to lack of better alternatives.

Unless five Republicans switch parties which would be hilarious

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Republicans don't have anyone on deck who isn't (1) McCarthy or one of his allies or (2) a blatant opportunist with no other agenda.

Right now the Freedom Caucus has gotten McCarthy to constantly do stupid hard right posturing and introduce unpassable Kill Your Parents bills as "negotiating tactics." They literally can't do better.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I can see it going the first few rounds with McCarthy not having the votes and then holdouts extracting even further concessions out of McCarthy. I think it was a Vox media podcast yesterday a reporter suggested that part of the reason Gaetz is a gadfly is because he’s trying to pressure McCarthy into quashing an ethics investigation into him. Maybe McCarthy finally feels the twist, plays ball, covers for Gaetz and suddenly this all goes away.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If they pass the removal bill, is he gone right then and we're back to the beginning "no one can pass anything at all" or is midterm removal different where there's like an interim or acting or whatever Speaker?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Doesn't that go the other way as well? Other discussion that's been posted in here is that McCarthy is going to try to turn up the heat on Gaetz's ethics investigation as retaliation/leverage.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

projecthalaxy posted:

If they pass the removal bill, is he gone right then and we're back to the beginning "no one can pass anything at all" or is midterm removal different where there's like an interim or acting or whatever Speaker?

Back to no one can pass anything at all. There is no vice- or deputy speaker to assume the position if he's ousted or anything like that and without a speaker the only thing the House can vote on is who should be speaker

PharmerBoy posted:

Doesn't that go the other way as well? Other discussion that's been posted in here is that McCarthy is going to try to turn up the heat on Gaetz's ethics investigation as retaliation/leverage.

Only if his speakership survives this, and it may be up to Gaetz whether or not that happens

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I know everyone is currently fixated on Kevin McCarthy, but we got some other news out of Arizona this morning:

Arizona to end deal allowing Saudi farms to suck Arizona's groundwater dry

More in the link, but AZ has reviewed the leases and believe they have cause to terminate one of the leases that allows this company to grow alfalfa to export to Saudi Arabia, and will allow the other leases to expire. Fondomonte is, of course, going to fight this as much as they can - but I doubt they'll win. The major implication here is that it will relieve some stress on the Colorado River, which supplies a number of states. This is the same river/watershed that's been the source of contention over water rights over the last several years given the historic drought facing the western US, so unless Fondomonte is somehow successful in court, it should provide some relief to Arizona and possibly other states as well.

Pretty big win for everyone involved, unless you're Fondomonte or a Saudi cattle rancher.

Just absolutely LOL that we were letting anyone grow one of the most water intensive crops, in Arizona of all places.

Let alone, a foreign corporation.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
5 R’s making Jeffries speaker would be a hilarious strategy. They could still vote R and stymie the D agenda, and campaign on Dem’s not being able to fix anything having full control of Congress. It won’t happen, but it would be funny.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Name Change posted:

The Republicans don't have anyone on deck who isn't (1) McCarthy or one of his allies or (2) a blatant opportunist with no other agenda.

Right now the Freedom Caucus has gotten McCarthy to constantly do stupid hard right posturing and introduce unpassable Kill Your Parents bills as "negotiating tactics." They literally can't do better.

McCarthy was also a blatant opportunist with no other agenda, so I don't know if replacing him with another blatant opportunist is really that hard a sell. Especially since McCarthy made a ton of promises in order to get the speakership, and has broken enough of them that hardly anyone trusts him anymore.

In particular, the Gaetz faction loses basically all their leverage if they let him back in. They've been able to demand massive concessions with the threat of ousting him, but that only works as long as they can credibly threaten to oust him. If Gaetz pulls the trigger, he'd better hit, or else he's blown his entire negotiating position.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Just absolutely LOL that we were letting anyone grow one of the most water intensive crops, in Arizona of all places.

Let alone, a foreign corporation.

Yeah, 1 waterless western state with alfalfa as a main export down, only literally every other western state to go and then MAYBE the Great Salt Lake won't turn into a toxic arsenic dustbowl.

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 3, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

First roll call for the motion to vacate has 5 Dems and 3 Republicans absent.

That means McCarthy can lose 5 votes and still stay on. 6 to oust.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 3, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Prospect covers today's Supreme Court hearing on CFPB

Stakes aren't super high or anything

quote:

The case, which advanced through the ultraconservative Fifth Circuit, specifically challenges a payday lending rule that the CFPB finalized, but the lower court ruled that every single rule that passed through the CFPB, all of which was conducted through funding deemed unconstitutional, would have to fall, including a lot of rules banks would want to see upheld, like safe harbors that allow for the smooth functioning of mortgage markets. In an amicus brief, the Mortgage Bankers Association warned that calling into question all CFPB rules could “destabilize the mortgage market.”

He's optimistic based on oral arguments, which is always dangerous, but it is an aggressively novel and disruptive theory.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

When exactly is this vote happening? Right now? Can't find a clear feed to follow.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dolash posted:

When exactly is this vote happening? Right now? Can't find a clear feed to follow.

They are preparing for the first vote right now. It probably won't actually start for another 45 minutes or so due to procedural stuff.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

They are preparing for the first vote right now. It probably won't actually start for another 45 minutes or so due to procedural stuff.

And its going to be the same voting style as the voting to choose a speaker so that will take time as well.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1709267329094131769

quote:

FWIW -- Several House aides tell me that the motion-to-vacate vote will be an alphabetical roll call akin to the vote(s) for speaker back in Jan.

Will take a while.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Here we go!

15min to vote on the Motion to Table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Granted its probably bluster on Gaetz part, but he was crowing yesterday he would have motioned sooner but that there were votes he expected that had not made it back to washington yet as of early Monday, so maybe he has a whip count that he is going off of. Its not impossible to think he knows five other HFC members that want to see the world burn. But if he expected his threshhold to be lower because of assuming higher attendance than lol

:munch: