Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Soonmot posted:

What the gently caress?!? What were they saying?

Oh Christ they were making some joke about the Scroll Keeper that I don't remember the specifics of. And of course I being a dumb loving nerd cheerfully pointed out that it was canon that the Scroll Keeper's role was to constantly make edits to his library of scriptures to paint the Skeksis in a more positive light to the Gelfling at large. He very enthusiastically agreed with me and pointed how the makers of the show knew their history or something I interpreted as referring to the original movie. Turns out he was comparing the Scroll Keeper and the Skeksis at large to the Jews and the conspiracy of them editing history to make themselves look better/the victims or something. Without checking out his page as a stand alone post it looked totally innocent and I stupidly commented on it. To this very day I'm humiliated my name is on his goddamned page being quoted like "I actually got it".

Larryb posted:

Speaking of The Dark Crystal, how were the various comics and Age of Resistance out of curiosity?

Don't know about the comics but I was obsessed with the show for a bit.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
3rd episode of Krapopolis is an improvement. The dog domestication plot was pretty drat good. I'm curious about what the cat one will be like.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

quote:

anime chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ass6mO4rI

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

He like me fr fr

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Das Boo posted:

He like me fr fr

Meanwhile us perverts be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCquvEv9DM4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I feel this so hard. I wish I could get into it because I love animation but there just ... if it isn't overt fan-service weirdness I just am not a fan of hard-line gender roles and that seems to be where Japanese media is (at least in regards to women).

Totally. Why can't I just dip into a random slice of life show without worrying about the obligatory sex creep character who's constantly trying to sexually assault all the female characters and it's played for laughs. Or the infantilisation of women. Or sexualisation of child characters. Or the homophobia.

I read a tonne of sci fi in the 80s and 90s. Authors like Piers Anthony, Larry Niven, Heinlein and all the other disgusting creeps who created amazing worlds that set my mind on fire. And who would all slowly let their brain filth seep into those worlds.

Sometimes you need to disappear into something to get away from everything.

And sometimes that means you make yourself not see all the huge red flags. I'm sick and goddamn tired of being put in that position, so I just won't watch those shows.

Even when I have people saying, "Oh it's the greatest show ever! You'll love it. It's just a little rapey in the first few episodes though. But after that, it's amazing!"

Anyway, this isn't a Wendy's drivethrough.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wait, what did Larry Niven do?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

I AM GRANDO posted:

Looks like:

quote:

According to author Michael Moorcock, in 1967, Niven, despite being a staunch conservative, voiced opposition to the Vietnam War.[14] In 1968 Niven signed an advertisement in Galaxy Science Fiction in support for continued US involvement in the Vietnam War.[15][16]

In 2007, Niven, in conjunction with a think tank of science fiction writers known as SIGMA, founded and led by Arlan Andrews, began advising the U.S. Department of Homeland Security as to future trends affecting terror policy and other topics.[18] Among those topics was reducing costs for hospitals to which Niven offered the solution to spread rumors in Latino communities that organs were being harvested illegally in hospitals.[19]

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Was that A Link to the Past boss fight music during the choose your own adventure reading session?

I thought so too!

Loved Fionna and Cake overall. I thought it started out a bit obtuse but once it got going it was great. I'd be satisfied if this was it for Adventure Time but I'd also be happy if it wasn't.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Y’all need to drop that nonsense and get with the program. Anime peaked with G Gundam and any other piece of media is an objective waste of time and effort. It has everything.

Robuts? Big
Punchh? Yes
Kick? Boy howdy
Tournament arc? Buddy…
Theme song? Boppin
Weepy protagonists that blow up their cool robots like every three episodes for some reason or the other? gently caress no!
Politics? Punchhhhh
Skin tight jump suits? More like Fiona and that cake

Sorry, blacked out there for a minute. Anyway, funny voice man PurpleEyesWTF of “I’m at Soup” fame is apparently not dead and voicing on some project for a smallish channel I’ve never seen before. It’s not groundbreaking but it’s fun.

https://youtu.be/Rms54VWjVRA?si=PbkkG7wJJlalutzR

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I AM GRANDO posted:

Never read the sequel to Ringworld.

Main character has sex with a prepubescent child

Also, in the real world:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Warbird posted:

Y’all need to drop that nonsense and get with the program. Anime peaked with G Gundam and any other piece of media is an objective waste of time and effort. It has everything.

Robuts? Big
Punchh? Yes
Kick? Boy howdy
Tournament arc? Buddy…
Theme song? Boppin
Weepy protagonists that blow up their cool robots like every three episodes for some reason or the other? gently caress no!
Politics? Punchhhhh

Honestly I can't find any way to argue any of this. You're right, you're right.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, mech design peaked with Gundam Maxter, the American Gundam who wears football pads (that he can turn into boxing gloves in an alt-mode), carries six-shooters, and rides a flying surfboard.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Totally. Why can't I just dip into a random slice of life show without worrying about the obligatory sex creep character who's constantly trying to sexually assault all the female characters and it's played for laughs. Or the infantilisation of women. Or sexualisation of child characters. Or the homophobia.

Yeah it's interesting -- I have more resilience where it comes to (some) of these things than you, but I absolutely relate about this idea of having to struggle to read past a lot of the genre's more problematic elements. It's not even the potentially triggering material, either, though that's obviously an issue. Just now, I was checking out the trailer for Netflix's upcoming PLUTO adaptation, and while there's nothing inherently issues based going on my brain still reacted to the way it was marketed with its sobbing immortal child. Instant knee-jerk reaction against that.

More pertinently, there's a (maybe only) half decent site out there, The Anime Feminist, that might help you filter out content when you're looking for something to watch.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Anything Naoki Urasawa is loving gold.
I am full hype.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

More pertinently, there's a (maybe only) half decent site out there, The Anime Feminist, that might help you filter out content when you're looking for something to watch.

Thanks for this. I thought I was the only one that thought about anime this way.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
With the possible exception of Attack on Titan (it has fascist and weird gender stuff but no weird sex stuff) I feel like every single anime TV show I have to preface it with "If you ignore," and it is pretty poo poo.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Taear posted:

With the possible exception of Attack on Titan (it has fascist and weird gender stuff but no weird sex stuff) I feel like every single anime TV show I have to preface it with "If you ignore," and it is pretty poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwsK7iGSEo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What is their stance on the current era Beowulf that is Chibodee Crocket?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Warbird posted:

Robuts? Big
Punchh? Yes
Kick? Boy howdy
Tournament arc? Buddy…
Theme song? Boppin
Politics? Punchhhhh

I'm not a big anime guy but I half-watched Gurrenn Lagann when it was on Toonami and I think it had all these too.

:wtc:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Hazo posted:

I'm not a big anime guy but I half-watched Gurrenn Lagann when it was on Toonami and I think it had all these too.

It didn't have a tournament arc, but it sure did have the rest. 'Stay the hell away from my little bro KICK' or whatever it was.

It also has Space Combat (if another series has robots throwing galaxies around like shuriken I'd love to see it)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like Gurren Lagann, but it's sexist and homophobic as all get out. Particularly given that spiral power is machismo / big dick energy, and then they decide to extend the metaphor when a character dies by getting drilled through the butt.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I like Gurren Lagann, but it's sexist and homophobic as all get out. Particularly given that spiral power is machismo / big dick energy, and then they decide to extend the metaphor when a character dies by getting drilled through the butt.

Except Leeron is the best drat character in the show.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Taear posted:

You need to watch Ping Pong. I wanna say the “worst” thing in the show is one of the characters kinda sorta has a crush on his older cousin. But nothing actually happens with it. It’s just used as a datapoint on how screwy his life is.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

You need to watch Ping Pong. I wanna say the “worst” thing in the show is one of the characters kinda sorta has a crush on his older cousin. But nothing actually happens with it. It’s just used as a datapoint on how screwy his life is.

Trigun Stampede was pretty excellent in my opinion. The original kinda bent to the 90's slant of trying to make the main character a lovable perv but they cut that poo poo out entirely this time around and everything is so much better for it. Even sadder that trait was never in the original manga the studio just stuffed it in there. Off the top of my head the Ayakashi series is also fairly excellent as a surrealist supernatural Noire taking place throughout Japanese history. It also takes on pretty heavy themes like obsession with clout, loss of identity and emotional abuse within the family. Lacks any sympathy for sex pests as well last i checked.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fun fact: That bikini wearing girl with the sniper rifle? 16. What the actual gently caress she's 14? Jesus loving christ. I actually restarted the series to actually watch it through and had to remove it from the "Continue watching" section of the TV's interface due to some of the apparently official art of the 14 year old being something I wouldn't want other people seeing and asking questions about. loving christ.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
The only thing more tiresome than people complaining about how all anime is kiddie fucker woman hating nonsense is how much anime is kiddie fucker woman hating nonsense.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Except Leeron is the best drat character in the show.

Leeron was also, I believe, the start of a competition between Steve Blum and Crispin Freeman to see which of them could say the dirtiest possible thing in the recording booth in-character and get it on the gag reel which lasted for many years across many anime dubs they were a part of.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Warbird posted:

Fun fact: That bikini wearing girl with the sniper rifle? 16. What the actual gently caress she's 14? Jesus loving christ. I actually restarted the series to actually watch it through and had to remove it from the "Continue watching" section of the TV's interface due to some of the apparently official art of the 14 year old being something I wouldn't want other people seeing and asking questions about. loving christ.

:catstare:

I guess on the bright side nobody casually glancing at your Recently Watched list would ever think she was 14.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Every time I see these godforsaken ages my eyes roll into the back my head and through my loving skull. It's like I've gone entirely past disgust and just straight into gently caress right off.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Its just so god drat unnecessary too. If you make her 18 poo poo doesn't change. Its still an amazing anime.

Hell, I've heard a lot of good things about the NetFlix CyberPunk anime, including how they deal with the sexbot that looks like a young girl. But that's also why I don't want to watch it.

Anyways, I'll take a Frosty please.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah there's often a lot of ambiguity to what ages these people are supposed to be and what the art is supposed to represent, even without getting into immortal unaging vampire situations, so you'll never really know unless you read some external data. Sometimes you get baby-lookin' adults, sometimes you get mature-looking kids.

I think historically American media has tended towards most people looking like adults regardless of age, both from live-action sitcoms where grown-rear end adults played teens and from comic artists that only knew how to draw adults. The original Teen Titans look nothing like teens. But these days you can get a pretty wide range of ways of depicting people from show to show so it can be hard to figure ages, but I think most of the blurriness is about adolescent characters anyways.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i love anime tbh

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Edgerunners is great, but yeah it has a sexualized child presenting character because of course a Trigger Studio production has to have their "fan service" gross poo poo. Anime is tiresome with its baggage.

The fan service character isn't critical to the story at all, and the series would be infinitely improved if they just left it out. But gotta pander to the mass of pervs.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think historically American media has tended towards most people looking like adults regardless of age, both from live-action sitcoms where grown-rear end adults played teens and from comic artists that only knew how to draw adults. The original Teen Titans look nothing like teens. But these days you can get a pretty wide range of ways of depicting people from show to show so it can be hard to figure ages, but I think most of the blurriness is about adolescent characters anyways.

Lmao they literally reused Speedy's character model and voice actor in Justice League, where everyone is adults. Sure they Bruce Timm-ized his torso a little bit, but otherwise he looked exactly the same.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Jehde posted:

Edgerunners is great, but yeah it has a sexualized child presenting character because of course a Trigger Studio production has to have their "fan service" gross poo poo. Anime is tiresome with its baggage.

The fan service character isn't critical to the story at all, and the series would be infinitely improved if they just left it out. But gotta pander to the mass of pervs.

I find it genuinely difficult to find anime that doesn't fall into the same old trappings of : the lovable pervert, the child fetish bait, the incest love interest, the psycho girlfriend, nonstop panty/titty shots, bland everyman protagonist, casual hardcore sexism etc.

Not to say there aren't some actual good fun ones out there. But very few progress past a lot of these stumbling blocks and tiresome is a good word for it, because it gets exhausting when you're enjoying something and one of these rears it's ugly head.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My friend may I interest you in some G Gundams?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Absolutely the funniest part of the Baldur's Gate 3 release was the contingent of people whining on forums that 'all the women are ugly', that western game companies and cinema 'don't understand beauty', and specifically contrasted western RPGs/cinema with JRPGs and anime. This, in a game that featured multiple female romance interests clearly designed as nerd fantasies.

In the context of the recent posts it kinda feels like that said contingent has been trained by certain gross tropes to expect those tropes and view those tropes as ideals, to the point of wanting to punish anyone who moves away from them. When they move outside that comfort zone they get confused, angry, and start blaming the wokes. So its like anime companies are in a pervy hell of their own making?

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah there's often a lot of ambiguity to what ages these people are supposed to be and what the art is supposed to represent, even without getting into immortal unaging vampire situations, so you'll never really know unless you read some external data. Sometimes you get baby-lookin' adults, sometimes you get mature-looking kids.

Sometimes it's funny, okay you're 17 and also you saved the world from God
Fine!

But also you're 17 and you just got married and you're a bit like hmm, what?