Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

poemdexter posted:

Everyone should plant honeysuckle because the honey that comes from bees with access to that is the best honey in my very honest opinion. Bonus: honeysuckle likes to grow up fences and lattice so you don't even need to take up yard space really.

Why should I care what flavor honey bees make, they're not giving any to me :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Neem oil for example can be a contraceptive and abortifacient.

kills bugs great though.
hey this is in my shampoo

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

poemdexter posted:

caveat: mint grows like no tomorrow and will take over your entire yard if not contained properly. I leave it up to the reader to decide if this is a pro or con.

oh yea definitely use a box. they prefer boxes anyway.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

poemdexter posted:

Everyone should plant honeysuckle because the honey that comes from bees with access to that is the best honey in my very honest opinion. Bonus: honeysuckle likes to grow up fences and lattice so you don't even need to take up yard space really.

Specifically native honeysuckles IMO. Coral honeysuckle grows well here, and I've trained a few vines up a wall. The hummingbirds love it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I would like to believe this, but the sourcing is really sparse: one slide at a Google conference plus a whole lot of extrapolation. She didn't even screenshot a search that demonstrates the hypothesis.

Most honeysuckles sold at garden stores or gathered in the wild are invasive-as-gently caress European and Asian imports. The only honeysuckles you should plant on purpose are the ones native to your area. https://naturalresources.extension.iastate.edu/encyclopedia/honeysuckle-invasive-species-profile

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Most honeysuckles sold at garden stores or gathered in the wild are invasive-as-gently caress European and Asian imports. The only honeysuckles you should plant on purpose are the ones native to your area. https://naturalresources.extension.iastate.edu/encyclopedia/honeysuckle-invasive-species-profile

My yard is full of invasive rear end in a top hat honeysuckle, thanks capitalism.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I would like to believe this, but the sourcing is really sparse: one slide at a Google conference plus a whole lot of extrapolation. She didn't even screenshot a search that demonstrates the hypothesis.

seriously this is one step up from an opinion article, i've been trying to figure out how she knows or what she saw

also lol she worked for DuckDuckGo until a year ago

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
DuckDuckGo search results are worse than Google

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
more like duck duck NO

more like googDON'T

more like interNOT

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

DuckDuckGo search results are worse than Google

I see so many people say they switched to DDG and never looked back but honestly I usually get crappy results and wind up back on Google.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

rafikki posted:

I see so many people say they switched to DDG and never looked back but honestly I usually get crappy results and wind up back on Google.

This has been my experience, too.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

it wasn't something from a conference; they're sitting in the audience at the ongoing trial being held over the government's charges of anti-competitive behavior https://www.justice.gov/d9/press-releases/attachments/2023/01/24/us_v_google_complaint_0.pdf

supposedly the bit they're talking about was part of an evidence exhibit

that being said, ye, it's pretty thin at the moment. that being said, i have zero problem believing it

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
People who aren't binging for those sweet microsoft rewards points are internetting wrong.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah but you only have to do that for 30 searches and after that you're home free... to go back to ugh, google

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

more like interNOT

Been saying this

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

rafikki posted:

Duck duck go is missing a lot of the backend curation and corrections google makes for you.
It works more like an old school search engine.
This has pros and cons.
If you're mostly searching well tread paths where google's corrections are helpful or the way operation commands and symbols are more suggestions/weight rather than enforced google might be better.

If you're looking for something more specific and obscure and some of your search terms might trigger the e-commerce sections of google duck duck go can be better.

DDG has gotten worse over time as old school SEO style tricks and bots have started gaming its system though, but then again so has google's insistence on selling you poo poo.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Coolness Averted posted:

Duck duck go is missing a lot of the backend curation and corrections google makes for you.
It works more like an old school search engine.
This has pros and cons.
If you're mostly searching well tread paths where google's corrections are helpful or the way operation commands and symbols are more suggestions/weight rather than enforced google might be better.

If you're looking for something more specific and obscure and some of your search terms might trigger the e-commerce sections of google duck duck go can be better.

DDG has gotten worse over time as old school SEO style tricks and bots have started gaming its system though, but then again so has google's insistence on selling you poo poo.

Isn't DDG a frontend for Bing?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

skooma512 posted:

I think it makes calls to bing, but it's not just a bing front end. I thought it also made calls to google, since scriptblock is saying it wants to load elements of google's framework, but DDG says they don't search anything google owned so idk

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

skooma512 posted:

their image search is but i'm pretty sure their regular keyword search is homegrown

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SniperWoreConverse posted:

plus you can use the wormwood to make absinthe if you plant the right kind (illegal)

the best kind of plants to have in your garden are the illegal ones, like sassafras trees (precursor to ecstasy BUT also sarsparilla)

augias
Apr 7, 2009

I still use askjeeves and i write.my queries like i was making requests of an english butler

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Jeeves, where is the nearest arbys establishment??

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

augias posted:

Jeeves, where is the nearest arbys establishment??

I could not say, sir.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jeeves, of course, wasn't a butler.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Got it, I'm setting your destination for ARBY'S in CLOSEST, ILLINOIS

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Jeeves, of course, wasn't a butler.

What?! They lied to me!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

yeah I organize my love life via spreadsheets

she spreads her legs in the sheets.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
i aint no incel, i use excel

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Do you pivot?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

COVID thread always ten steps ahead

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Been doing that for slightly over a month. Makes things so much easier!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

jeebus bob posted:

Do you pivot?

Gotta do all the lookups, v, h, x and indexmatch.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Oct 4, 2023

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
I would like a job.

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

LuxuryLarva posted:

I would like a job.

you say that now but then you show up and by the third day it's gently caress this I'm done

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

you say that now but then you show up and by the third day it's gently caress this I'm done

I doubt LL means they want a job, they probably mean they want the means to survive in our society.

Aside from a few Boomer-brained Protestant-work-ethic-types and some hustle-culture-millenials-and-Gen-Zers, I suspect nobody actually wants a job.

I sure as poo poo don't. I just want to get paid.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Hire me and find out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm not hiring. I'm only firing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lmao, get with the times, my lovemaking is all power bi.