Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I've procrastinated on getting a lot of stuff for a while, so now I'm in the middle of shopping for a million things. I need a new range, washer, dryer, couch, and possibly a new TV. I'm making the switch from gas range and dryer to electric, which complicates things because I'm buying new technology that I'm not super familiar yet. Getting an induction range and a heat pump/condenser dryer. Hopefully my wife doesn't kill me with my obsession over getting rid of gas stuff in the house.

Even ignoring the indoor pollution bit, I am fully a convert to induction over gas. Absolutely amazing technology and something I will have installed before we move in to any new place going forward.

e: adding quote for the snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
My oven/microwave combo is about to celebrate its 30th birthday, and the microwave has sounded like an idling truck for 15 years but it's still working. The home inspector assured me that I'd need to replace it. Joke's on him!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Even ignoring the indoor pollution bit, I am fully a convert to induction over gas. Absolutely amazing technology and something I will have installed before we move in to any new place going forward.

e: adding quote for the snype

Yea, I have no issues switching to induction, only problem is getting a bunch of new pots and pans, but that's not the end of the world.

My biggest thing is I really want to switch to a heat pump dryer, but it looks like my options for that kind of suck. Most are really small meant to be installed under countertops, which I get because that's what they were designed for. There's one big one from Whirlpool, but the reviews I just read make it sound like a terrible dryer. So now I'm possibly going back to a conventional dryer, which I really don't want to do, but the technology just doesn't seem ready. So now I'm also debating just getting a regular gas dryer, or go to electric.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

In the decade-plus I’ve been in Japan, I haven’t had a dryer. The bathroom shower room has a whiz-bang combination exhaust fan/steam room generator/drying mode fan on it, and that works ok, but ideally you want to be just hanging everything outside.

Every time I came home to visit for any long stretch I’d wind up doing laundry, and using my parents’ dryer, and it always felt like a cheat code.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Yea, I have no issues switching to induction, only problem is getting a bunch of new pots and pans, but that's not the end of the world.

My biggest thing is I really want to switch to a heat pump dryer, but it looks like my options for that kind of suck. Most are really small meant to be installed under countertops, which I get because that's what they were designed for. There's one big one from Whirlpool, but the reviews I just read make it sound like a terrible dryer. So now I'm possibly going back to a conventional dryer, which I really don't want to do, but the technology just doesn't seem ready. So now I'm also debating just getting a regular gas dryer, or go to electric.

I'm still behind on threads in HCH from vacation and work, have you asked about it there? It seems like the non-conventional dryers have come up, although I think the conclusion was "it is not going to be as effective as a conventional dryer".

Have you tried the magnet test on your existing pots and pans? I was surprised how many of ours did work. Mostly just non-stick that didn't. Pretty sure we got a small and medium non-stick, then a new sauce pan or something. It was kind of nice to have an excuse to replace some of our older stuff, although I acknowledge my DINK privilege saying that.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Think it was about 10 months in the new house we didn’t have a a washer or dryer (no hook ups). We were bathtub washing and hanging everything. Wife didn’t trust the laundromat near us not to be infested with bedbugs. Wringing out towels was the worst. Eventually cleaned out the shed/storage, ran some lines and hooked the machines up out there.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Blowjob Overtime posted:

I'm still behind on threads in HCH from vacation and work, have you asked about it there? It seems like the non-conventional dryers have come up, although I think the conclusion was "it is not going to be as effective as a conventional dryer".

Have you tried the magnet test on your existing pots and pans? I was surprised how many of ours did work. Mostly just non-stick that didn't. Pretty sure we got a small and medium non-stick, then a new sauce pan or something. It was kind of nice to have an excuse to replace some of our older stuff, although I acknowledge my DINK privilege saying that.

Is their an appliance thread in HCH? I looked but didn't see one, unless it's just in the general house thread.

The biggest thing I saw with the heat pump dryer is that the coils have a tendency to clog up with lint and every year or two you need to clean it out. Unfortunately, the clean out process involves dismantling the whole loving dryer to get at the coil. I'm just mad because I really want to get away from gas everything, and these are supposed to be way more efficient, but dealing with something like that is just not going to happen. I could probably do it myself, but it would be like a whole day project with high chance I gently caress up the dryer in the process.

Line drying everything is not really an option since I live in an area where line drying isn't even possible for like 5 months a year. I try to line dry stuff in the summer when I can, but even then I really only have room for like half my clothes to line dry.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Is their an appliance thread in HCH? I looked but didn't see one, unless it's just in the general house thread.

Appliance questions usually just end up in the Home Zone, yeah. Motronic may grill you on the desire to get away from gas, but there are also a lot of non-US posters like harperdc who have experience with other dryer technologies.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Appliance questions usually just end up in the Home Zone, yeah. Motronic may grill you on the desire to get away from gas, but there are also a lot of non-US posters like harperdc who have experience with other dryer technologies.

That loving guy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks to this home improvement talk I'll respond to the HVAC folks that called last week to schedule a furnace inspection today. Honestly it was something I should've done last month as I'm suspecting I'll need to have it extensively fixed or straight up replaced.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

Thanks to this home improvement talk I'll respond to the HVAC folks that called last week to schedule a furnace inspection today. Honestly it was something I should've done last month as I'm suspecting I'll need to have it extensively fixed or straight up replaced.

Yesterday you said you'd call!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

BlindSite posted:

Hydration might have been a bit off. I've found that whether it's the humidity here or the flour we get here but a lot of times I'll have a recipe perfectly weighed and measured and it's still too moist.

Which for some breads with an open texture and pizza too is good but makes working with it a nightmare.

So I ignore all of those no knead recipes and just treat it like a grandma who's been baking all her life and when I dump it out and knead it, I'll keep dusting with flour til it comes together and doesn't stick to poo poo.

My usual go to is to get the giant dough ball good and smooth and not overly tacky and then rest it for 24ish hours in the fridge and take it out, punch it down and separate into balls 4 hours or so before cooking for it's final rise.

I think it was just underkneading because I wanted to go to bed

Usually this dough is very forgiving

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We build our pizza on a sheet of parchment paper and then transfer the paper & pizza onto the stone and just cook it on the paper. It can handle 475 degrees or whatever, gets kinda brown on the edges but it doesn't ignite or anything. In the past I've used cornmeal as an interface between the pizza and the peel/stone and that works too but we kept forgetting it until the moment we're trying to get it in the oven, so the parchment paper has been our new method. Obviously you do not do this with a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I've done that before but you don't get the nice char on the bottom of the crust that way

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 3, 2023

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I tried the parchment paper on fish trick I saw on Instagram/TikTok and I'll be damned but it actually prevents sticking.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
After the dipshit lot neightbors hit a gas line and hosed everything up in our house and the other neighbor's house I'm more than happy that we only have gas for a fireplace that's never really worked and out water heater. Didn't stop the gas company from having to entirely reroute our gas line though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If induction stove tech was what it is now back when I replaced mine with a gas one I would've gone that way.

I'll be interested to see when commercial restaurant kitchens embrace induction stoves.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I have an “induction” stove top (it’s really just an electric glass top), and idk. I hate using my favorite stainless high wall pan now because it has just a sliiiight dome to it so it’s all weebly wobbly on the flat glass top and it irritates the poo poo out of me.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I don't know who it was but someone here mentioned Banshee a while back. Just finished the series up and holy poo poo was that a wild ride. Never a dull moment, that's for sure.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Insanely fun show

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

wandler20 posted:

I don't know who it was but someone here mentioned Banshee a while back. Just finished the series up and holy poo poo was that a wild ride. Never a dull moment, that's for sure.

It ain’t classy and it ain’t pretty, but man it’s a trip, the opening 5 minutes of the first episode pretty well set the tone for what the entire series would be. Dude gets out of prison, bangs a bartender, fights some dudes, and tears away in a muscle car. Tickled the same itch a bunch of ridiculous low budget action movies from the 80’s do, pure dumbass machismo and I loved it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Check out Spartacus next. One of the best shows ever

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

T-Square posted:

I have an “induction” stove top (it’s really just an electric glass top), and idk. I hate using my favorite stainless high wall pan now because it has just a sliiiight dome to it so it’s all weebly wobbly on the flat glass top and it irritates the poo poo out of me.

if the inside of the pan isn't coated with something, you can get away with fixing this by cold-forming. You need a flat surface like a work bench, and a way to put the pan bottom-up with all of the edges well supported. Then get a chunk of hard flat wood, like an offcut of a 2x4, position it on top of the middle of the pan so it'll spread the force, and start hitting it with a big hammer. Start with light blows and keep checking for flatness. You're only making a slight adjustment so concerns like work-hardening and tempering etc. aren't really an issue.

Don't try to do this with a non-stick coated pan though, you can wind up separating the nonstick surface.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Pron on VHS posted:

Check out Spartacus next. One of the best shows ever

I've seen that one, great show.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Banshee is one of those shows that I really like, and I love Anthony Starr, but I can never seem to stay on it and always stop watching it and then forget where I left off so I never get back into it.

Also yeah Spartacus owns, the only lovely part is the lead actor literally dying of cancer after the first season :(

Leperflesh posted:

if the inside of the pan isn't coated with something, you can get away with fixing this by cold-forming. You need a flat surface like a work bench, and a way to put the pan bottom-up with all of the edges well supported. Then get a chunk of hard flat wood, like an offcut of a 2x4, position it on top of the middle of the pan so it'll spread the force, and start hitting it with a big hammer. Start with light blows and keep checking for flatness. You're only making a slight adjustment so concerns like work-hardening and tempering etc. aren't really an issue.

Don't try to do this with a non-stick coated pan though, you can wind up separating the nonstick surface.

Hmm I’ll have to try this. It’s like dead center in the pan that’s ever so slightly raised so I don’t see why this wouldn’t work.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
RIP Andy Whitfield, if he had remained cast as Spartacus it would have become the greatest show ever made

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’m still bummed about Pullo dying

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Yearly Reminder that everyone should watch Black Sails

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Looks like we may get a new Speaker of the House.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

https://twitter.com/timodc/status/1709275250762932658?s=46

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
If McCarthy goes, it’s death by Butthead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

T-Square posted:

Banshee is one of those shows that I really like, and I love Anthony Starr, but I can never seem to stay on it and always stop watching it and then forget where I left off so I never get back into it.

Also yeah Spartacus owns, the only lovely part is the lead actor literally dying of cancer after the first season :(

Hmm I’ll have to try this. It’s like dead center in the pan that’s ever so slightly raised so I don’t see why this wouldn’t work.

I've also noticed this warping seems to be more likely to happen in the first place if you have the habit of running water into your hot pan straight off the stove. Which is what you should do with your cast iron, but you should not do it with stainless, aluminum, bimetal, or especially with coated pans. Differential rates of cooling can cause the pan to warp, usually by bowing out a bit in the middle.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

First off he's a total tool and I don't care too much about him going away other than worrying who is next. But second I don't understand why Matt Gaetz is still a thing that is important in any fashion.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Grittybeard posted:

First off he's a total tool and I don't care too much about him going away other than worrying who is next. But second I don't understand why Matt Gaetz is still a thing that is important in any fashion.

Tyranny of the minority taken to the extreme.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

wandler20 posted:

Check out Warrior on HBO. Same show runner, this time about chinese gangs in 1900s San Francisco.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the house freedom caucus, e.g. the maga assholes on the far right, own their party and know it and despite being a tiny minority in the house they are flexing and matt gaetz is their current leader

mccarthy knew this when he went in as speaker, knew that he was either going to have to take his marching orders from gaetz or repudiate that wing of his own party, and with a majority in the house of just five seats he's got no choice but either give a bunch of free stuff to the dems to get a few of them to vote for him for speaker, or do whatever the matt gaetz krew want him to do

it's emblematic of the position the whole republican party is in right now: their presidential frontrunner has multiple criminal and civil trials and may go to jail but he still controls the base and would win the primary if it was held today, by a landslide, and the entire rest of the party has no way of simultaneously dealing with that and continuing to refuse to court democrats by actually making compromises and admitting that democratic party priorities don't actually destroy the country and bring about the apocalypse

it's hilarious but also super depressing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

like it's amazing, literally all any republican leadership has to do is let go of the last 20 or 30 years of extreme obstruction assholery and go to the super milquetoast center-right dems in the house and senate and negotiate compromise positions, in which the dems will gleefully give away 80% of their needs as an opening position for negotiation, and then they could pass bipartisan bills

but they cannot because they've spent decades poisoning their own base with insane rhetoric about the downfall of civilization if you let the baby murderer mexican loving commie vaxine-poisoned traitor democrats ever accomplish any thing at all

so now how can they "compromise" on a spending bill, impossible :ohdear: what will the base think and do

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Check out Warrior on HBO. Same show runner, this time about chinese gangs in 1900s San Francisco.

I was googling shows like Banshee and this one popped up on almost every list. Might have to give it a shot.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I’m watching The L Word right now and I think it just may have cracked my egg if I watched it 20 years ago.
Virtually every queer woman I know has seen it, including my hairdresser, who told me she used to style her hair like Shane’s (which…I would be surprised if she didn’t, honestly.)

Anyway, that’s what I do instead of keeping precise tabs on when they’re going to go full fash in DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Banshee was also beautifully directed. The episodes with Starrs character in prison training to defend himself from the albino.. the fight itself… beautifully done.

So many amazing characters in that show. Great actresses - the two main female characters are *really* good.

After Chayton it kinda jumped the shark but they very famously had some of the greatest fight choreography on tv. The guy who did it went on to do a ton of avengers and some FX shows