Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Out of everyone you could possibly fly into Finland for a match, why Allie lol?

Sounds awesome though, hope you get to see more shows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kennel posted:

Saw my first Finnish indie-show in (literally) 20 years. The last time they hadn't had time to train even a single local talent.

This was the second annual Northern Queens event and featured exclusively women and non-binary folks. They had two late cancellations (illness & ???), but managed to save the situation by turning a tag match into singles. They had managed to get some relative well-known names (Max the Impaler and Allie Katch, not sure about the others) and based on some FB posts this was one of the most "star-studded" shows around here.

As I haven't followed the local scene at all, I was somewhat worried about two things: wrestling being embarrassingly bad and audience being embarrassingly silent (as Finnish crowds tend to be). Wrestling ended up being adequate and the crowd was pretty good. About 250 people (by my estimation), no awkward silent moments, and everyone was generally cheering actively for the babyfaces and joining the basic chants, fun times, although could be better. Gender ratio was close to 50:50 which was pretty cool. Also nice to see that the promotion is heavily emphasizing anti-bigotry. Not exactly given in such a niche scene.

The first match (Stella :finland: vs. Ava Everett :911:) wasn't technically very good with some weak offense from both, but the crowd was into it and Ava managed to heel it up to keep the audience in the match.
During the break Max the Impaler came to kill local geeks and stole the smallest girl, who was never seen again.
Allie Katch :911: vs. Nightshade :britain: was slightly better than the other two undercard matches, although Allie's kind-of-constantly-sexual-assaultish offensive is pretty sketchy.
Nikita vs. Nina Samuels :britain: was quite fun with a small local babyface overcoming foreign bully heel, even if it was a bit botchy.

The main event between Regina Rosendahl :finland: vs. Max the Impaler :911: was legit pretty decent match and clearly the MOTN. A classic battle between the local ace and a huge foreign monster. Max's NWA title was on the line, so the winner was forgone conclusion, but it was nice hard-hitting brawl with some funny ref-scaring hijinks. While Regina was super popular, the crowd dynamics could have been better as Max didn't really get any heel heat because the crowd generally liked them. During the finish the ref didn't count the three, which is always a letdown, but at least he immediately called the bell, so they didn't have to do awkward extra spot.

I had good time, have to check their other shows later this year.

Nina Samuels is ex NXT UK, & also has had a couple of tours with Sendai Girls in Japan since getting released.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

syzpid posted:

gcw did a tour of europe with wXw, which outside of Ilja and Walter getting scooped up, faired better than the UK companies that partnered with WWE.

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022
https://x.com/stlanarchy/status/1704862360488345816?s=61&t=BqwnpU_jGktuHDu1JOKJ3A

Not sure if this is his only date or not, but Masato Tanaka will be in the US in a week and a half.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

syzpid posted:

Invictus shut down over the weekend. I only went to one show that they gave me free tickets to, but I had a good time. Seemed like they had a decently sized fanbase and a lot of up & coming NYC talent. No idea what happened.
Just spitballing, but the added expenses of starting to run on the NY side of the river probably didn't help.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Kennel posted:

As I haven't followed the local scene at all, I was somewhat worried about two things: wrestling being embarrassingly bad and audience being embarrassingly silent (as Finnish crowds tend to be). Wrestling ended up being adequate and the crowd was pretty good. About 250 people (by my estimation), no awkward silent moments, and everyone was generally cheering actively for the babyfaces and joining the basic chants, fun times, although could be better. Gender ratio was close to 50:50 which was pretty cool. Also nice to see that the promotion is heavily emphasizing anti-bigotry. Not exactly given in such a niche scene.

The crowd used to be rowdier a few years ago and there used to be a lot of heckling from front-row regulars, which has died down. Most of that being stupid stuff that would really take away from the match. There are still chants, but the pre-COVID era had a more active chant culture. That partly disappeared since the chant section moved behind the curtain. Also, the crowd is (at most) 15% wrestling fans (who follow other promotions), with the rest being casuals or FCF fans who only follow the local scene.

The anti-bigotry message is maybe the biggest change in the scene. Just 10 years ago there were shirts that proudly claimed that the promotion was politically incorrect. Change in leadership drastically moved the promotion to a new era.

syzpid posted:

She moves tickets, that's why.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 2, 2023

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

davidbix posted:

Just spitballing, but the added expenses of starting to run on the NY side of the river probably didn't help.

That makes sense, it's too bad. The show I saw was in Ridgefield park which isn't too bad of a drive from the Philly burbs or NYC.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

syzpid posted:

She was in Europe for GCW so it's not like they had to fly her very far.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

syzpid posted:

because she's great you dummy. anyone going to revolver this weekend? i'll be there shooting at both events

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm thinking about it but I have a wedding to go to on Saturday. I don't think I can swing it :(

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I'm thinking about it but I have a wedding to go to on Saturday. I don't think I can swing it :(

I'm sure the couple will understand why you can't make it

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

They’ll probably get divorced anyway

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Going to weddings is bullshit never do it

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Going to weddings is bullshit never do it

Free drinks

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

But it's gonna be in a cool movie theater and my friend and her soon-to-be wife are cute and we've been friends for years and I will get free food and drink :(

I need to make it to a Revolver show again some day, though, just to reconnect with the old crew while seeing some great matches.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

but its on sunday

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah but it's also like...six or seven hours of wrestling between both shows on a weekend I'll have done a long drive the day before, I have to make some decisions depending on how I feel, and how my partner is doing too.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Have fun at the wedding with your friends

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Have fun at the wedding with your friends

Terrible advice

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Choom Gangster posted:

because she's great you dummy. anyone going to revolver this weekend? i'll be there shooting at both events

I have seen her a few times now. I pretty much like everything about her except for the wrestling. It just seemed weird to me until the following

MassRafTer posted:

She was in Europe for GCW so it's not like they had to fly her very far.

That makes a lot more sense. I don't follow GCW closely and didn't realize they were in Europe.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/EnjoyWrestle/status/1709678194800934913 drat last Enjoy show until Spring; I do wonder if they are going to make the trip to New Jersey "Philly"

I feel if they could get on The Collective it would help them a lot since they don't do their shows live because of how much of a headache it is and they like to edit stuff later

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 5, 2023

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

They still haven't announced if Kosei Fujita is going to make the trip west but I am very excited about this match, The Parea in particular I don't see enough of since whenever they come to Perth they work NHPW instead of the far superior EPW

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

SG Bamboo posted:

They still haven't announced if Kosei Fujita is going to make the trip west but I am very excited about this match, The Parea in particular I don't see enough of since whenever they come to Perth they work NHPW instead of the far superior EPW

I looked this up and I am a little disappointed that this isn't an inclusive exclusive indie as all those dudes look like dudes dudes. I think that it is in Australia that threw me.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/AchillesF6/status/1711146214303908172?t=14-hzzuU7G4pygIWJLd68g&s=19
Enjoy was a sick show as always; ended earlier than normal. All 6 matches delivered

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
In other GCW news, Brett isn't feeding his talent.

https://twitter.com/LorenYDOD/status/1711378548613689375?t=jY1KQCBN2ITWBafpeaPpUg&s=19

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I have one free extra ticket to DEFY Primolucha in Yakima on Friday if anyone wants it.

You'd just have to meet up with me, because I'm picking up actual physical tickets. I won 2 tickets from a radio station contest but I don't have a +1.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
lol reposts someone's instagram, goes mildly viral, and plugs their own podcast instead of the wrestler's stuff

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hell yeah, they waited until three hours until the show starts but we finally have a match for big Fuj

https://twitter.com/WSWWrestlingAUS/status/1711640200756265105

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

To nobody's suprise Ichiban Sweet Boy is a real sweetheart

https://twitter.com/BambooFlash/status/1711731754720178295

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

SG Bamboo posted:

Hell yeah, they waited until three hours until the show starts but we finally have a match for big Fuj

https://twitter.com/WSWWrestlingAUS/status/1711640200756265105

Oh I thought Cassie Lee/Peyton Royce retired. Are the IIconics running wild in Australia?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Numero6 posted:

Oh I thought Cassie Lee/Peyton Royce retired. Are the IIconics running wild in Australia?

They both took time off to have kids, I think this is Cassie's second match back.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Lumbermouth posted:

They both took time off to have kids, I think this is Cassie's second match back.

Oh ok, neat. Thank you.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It was supposed to be Lee/Shawn Spiers vs Matt Cardona and Steph Delander but Steph got injured at the last show and had to miss the rest of the tour, so it became a three way match instead. Was happy to see Kross again, she was cool at the DDT show in Japan I went to but didn't get much time to shine

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Speedball at defy :unsmith:
Speedball vs Judas Icarus at defy :smith:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
If you have a problem with my boy Icky we're gonna have words. :colbert:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

born on a buy you posted:

ahem Judas is coming into his own and becoming rad as hell, be nice :mad:

maybe Icarus can teach Speedball how to clean his tootsies and in return Speedball can teach Icky how to kick really, REALLY loving hard. love both of those workers, excited to see it.

I want Icarus and Titus Alexander to have a rematch at DEFY; they worked so well together.

Nicole Matthews v Viva Van is on that card too; expecting that match to be stiff as hell. haven’t been super impressed with Nicole’s work since she’s come back but I bet working with someone who will really lay in the hits will bring out the best in her. looking forward to that for sure.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 11, 2023

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

born on a buy you posted:

Icky is going to kick you rear end

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Icarus is lucky Rivers joined the group with his dumb entrance mask. Only reason he’s not the most cornball member of his cornball faction

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

You’re laughing.

He was Misery’d on live tv and you’re laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

the escape goat posted:

haven’t been super impressed with Nicole’s work since she’s come back but I bet working with someone who will really lay in the hits will bring out the best in her. looking forward to that for sure.

I'll talk to some people and see if they'll let me edit Nicole's match with Daniel Makabe from last month, because it kicked rear end.