Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fartknocker posted:

I posted this back in the offseason thread and I’ll repost it here since it’s relevant.

TLDR: He has a better resume than Nagy or Pederson when they got hired:

The “he’s an rear end in a top hat!” argument barely holds when, as previously mentioned, you look at basically every Belichick assistant who’ve gotten chances, among various others.

Case in point: Patricia got a crack at head coaching lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Last year Kafka was a finalist for the Cardinals job despite having one year as OC under his belt for the Giants, after coming from underneath Bieniemy and Reid the year before. Bieniemy, meanwhile, had to go to take a Lateral move to a different franchise just to try and shake off the "Reid and mahomes did it all" critique.

Every excuse that has been made against Bieniemy has not stopped other coaches and retreads from finding work. Maybe he does interview poorly, but at this stage what the hell else can it be outside prejudice that is driving a lot of it?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Josh McDaniels loving ditched a team last-minute and still got a second chance to lose to Jeff Saturday.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m not sure you can say he’s a bad head coach when there is zero way to actually tell that

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

he’ll get a job somewhere and then he’ll suck and then go back to being a coordinator and being fine and that will be his tale as is true for so many coordinators that couldn’t hack it as a head coach

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a neat cape posted:

Anthony Lynn
David Culley and Pep Hamilton (Pep wasnt a HC candidate that I am aware of but he was an OC and until that time a well regarded QB coach, I think).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The POC coach who got hosed over the most is Steve Wilks. He had that lovely franchise playing it's best football in like 15 years and he gets canned for some mediocre retread white guy.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Wilks had one of the best interim records from a coach in the last 20 years and probably deserved the Panthers job or a second HC job somewhere

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
What's Jeff Fisher up to?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

The POC coach who got hosed over the most is Steve Wilks. He had that lovely franchise playing it's best football in like 15 years and he gets canned for some mediocre retread white guy.

The Panthers went 6-6 under him and missed the playoffs in a very bad division. They went 15-1 and went to the Super Bowl in 2016.

syzpid posted:

Wilks had one of the best interim records from a coach in the last 20 years and probably deserved the Panthers job or a second HC job somewhere

He went .500 and couldn’t beat a moribund Tampa team to make the playoffs. Bisaccia went 7-5 with the Raiders and actually made the playoffs and he’s back to being a ST coordinator.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Just wanna point out that those except Lynn are defensive guys.

The racism in the league is worse on the offensive side of the ball bc for ages its been purely the purview of former white qbs.

At this point there's no excuses, he's clearly a very loving good offensive coach, he's got Reid's explicit backing for an HC position (which btw Reid's tree is pretty loving good so that should mean something), and most importantly he's got Sam Howell looking competent and dangerous.

Mike McDaniel getting ignored for some reason.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

When you have a chance to hire the guy who was fired mid season and replaced by a coach with zero experience you take it

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

MaximilianK posted:

What's Jeff Fisher up to?

Refusing the call since he can't go 8-8 anymore

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Honestly the he is an rear end in a top hat thing probably does hold water.

Zimmer talked about how it took forever for him to become a HC cause he was himself in interviews and told owners why and how their team sucks.

No matter how much a person is a good coach billionaires dont like people talking down them.

But they especially dont like it when its a black dude doing it.

What im saying, is its probably borh but doubly cause their racist assholes.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Panthers went 6-6 under him and missed the playoffs in a very bad division. They went 15-1 and went to the Super Bowl in 2016.

He went .500 and couldn’t beat a moribund Tampa team to make the playoffs. Bisaccia went 7-5 with the Raiders and actually made the playoffs and he’s back to being a ST coordinator.

If Pineiro doesn't shank a chip shot in ATL, they're 7-5 under him. With Sam loving Darnold and PJ Walker at QB.

The Tampa game was a bummer, but Jaycee Horn and Donte Jackson were both injured, and Brady and Evans feasted on CJ Henderson and Keith Taylor. Meanwhile, they beat the living poo poo out of a Detroit team that was playing great and had playoff aspirations.

Honestly I think calling Wilks a retread with the awful situation he had to deal with in his single year in Arizona isn't really fair.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Apparently Fisher was going to coach in the USFL but opted to resign. Some team has to capitalize on this opportunity

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ozymandius1024 posted:

If Pineiro doesn't shank a chip shot in ATL, they're 7-5 under him. With Sam loving Darnold and PJ Walker at QB.

He had Baker too until he released him. Baker isn’t a world but he can perform with good coaching, as evidenced by his play this year.

Yes, Wilks got dealt a bad hand in Arizona and he did a respectable job as an interim, but he had 12 games to make his case and lost half of them. Yea, they beat the Lions. Bad teams beat good teams all the time in the NFL. They also lost to Atlanta, Pitt and Tampa, three bad teams. Any one of those games probably wins them the division.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Docjowles posted:

Apparently Fisher was going to coach in the USFL but opted to resign. Some team has to capitalize on this opportunity

He coached the Michigan Panthers for the inaugural season and they looked atrocious while going 2-8. He was also the GM so he had a hand in the roster too. I think coming into the 2nd season the USFL was trying to cut costs and he resigned instead of taking a pay cut.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He had Baker too until he released him. Baker isn’t a world but he can perform with good coaching, as evidenced by his play this year.

Yes, Wilks got dealt a bad hand in Arizona and he did a respectable job as an interim, but he had 12 games to make his case and lost half of them. Yea, they beat the Lions. Bad teams beat good teams all the time in the NFL. They also lost to Atlanta, Pitt and Tampa, three bad teams. Any one of those games probably wins them the division.

They played better under Wilks than they are playing this year by a good margin. They are gonna win 1-2 games this season. They also likely hosed up the no 1 pick.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 3, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the way this team looks and is playing now, I agree with McMagic''s assessment. This team is getting worse every week and if the spiral hasn't already begun, it's about to. I don't see how they get more than 3-4 wins. Without Burns under contract. Without a first round pick. With massive regression in their first round left tackle from last year, and very poor early returns on their draft class this year. All their DBs need to be replaced (sorry Horn). They need at least one top flight WR, a RB who's not Miles Sanders, playcalling, etc. At the end of the season we're probably looking at the lowest point in team history.

Obviously Fitterer has to go, but who do you replace him with? Are you going to let Reich pick a GM who mortgages more future picks to draft a WR? Is Tepper going to hand pick another poo poo head?

Can argue that Tepper has been the worst owner in the league since he acquired the Panthers. I doubt he's going anywhere.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

mcmagic posted:

They played better under Wilks than they are playing this year by a good margin. They are gonna win 1-2 games this season. They also likely hosed up the no 1 pick.

Yea, but just because they made a bad hire doesn’t mean Wilks was a good one. Saying he had them looking the best they have in 15 years is just nuts.

They’ll probably improve some once a Reich is forced to give up play calling halfway through the year.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Wilks is on Niners rehab now. He’s going to own a top 5 defense for the next two years and get another crack at a HC gig.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Wilks is on Niners rehab now. He’s going to own a top 5 defense for the next two years and get another crack at a HC gig.

Kyle Shanahan is reverse racist and will never hire a white guy

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Benne posted:

My only question about firing Eberflus midseason is, uh ... is there anyone in the building to replace him?
ChatGPT?

Someone's eventually gonna try it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Diva Cupcake posted:

So just in time for when Tepper fires Reich, got it

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FizFashizzle posted:

Can argue that Tepper has been the worst owner in the league since he acquired the Panthers. I doubt he's going anywhere.

They've got the 3rd worst winning pct in the NFL since he bought the team, and certainly seem to be trending down (at least Jacksonville has Lawrence and Pederson).

Only being able to say "At least we aren't the Jets" doesn't feel so hot.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

ChatGPT?

Someone's eventually gonna try it.

Twitch plays nfl coaching

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Mega64 posted:

Josh McDaniels loving ditched a team last-minute and still got a second chance to lose to Jeff Saturday.

This is poorly worded/constructed. Josh McDaniels only got the one chance to lose to Jeff Saturday but he absolutely made the most of it. I get what you're trying to say about McDaniels dipping out on the Colts before though

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Twitch plays nfl coaching

I don't care how we get an offense of nothing but 4 verts and fullback dives, I just want that to happen

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nervous posted:

This is poorly worded/constructed. Josh McDaniels only got the one chance to lose to Jeff Saturday but he absolutely made the most of it. I get what you're trying to say about McDaniels dipping out on the Colts before though

It's always a good time to remember that McDaniels lost to Jeff Saturday in his first ever game coaching, and also lost to the Rams led by Baker Mayfield who had been on the team for like 3 days, and also gave Arizona one of their 4 wins. In the same season. lol.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Docjowles posted:

It's always a good time to remember that McDaniels lost to Jeff Saturday in his first ever game coaching, and also lost to the Rams led by Baker Mayfield who had been on the team for like 3 days, and also gave Arizona one of their 4 wins. In the same season. lol.
He truly is the gift that keeps on giving!

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Docjowles posted:

It's almost like something happened during all three of these games to ensure the Raiders lost. :thinking:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya Josh McDaniels coached them

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
did he really coach though?

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Ya Josh McDaniels "coached" them

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:aaaaa: huge if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ya the ref scamspiracy made Josh McDaniels coach them