Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/01/sunday-preview-a-rabble-of-warbands-are-heading-to-a-mortal-realm-near-you/

You want some books? Of course ya do!

Next weekend sees the regular hardback version of Realmslayer by David Guymer go up for pre-order. Alongside the e-book and audiobook versions.

A new Warhammer Crime anthology, Once a Killer will also be available in hardback and e-book versions.

Lastly there's the audiobook version of The Lord of The End Times Josh Reynolds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have been attempting to start making my way through the Dawn of Fire series because I want to know what is happening with the lore and I think I've realized why I gave up on the first book the last time I tried to get through it.

I'm twelve chapters in and I have no drat clue what is going on in the plot and I'm finding it hard to care. As far as I can tell there is a dead ship where everyone died of laziness but that doesn't matter, Terra was attacked by Khorne but it was just a dream(?), some historian is now part of logistics I guess, and now a random inquisitor showed up for some reason.

Does the plot line actually get coherent at any point or is it just a pile of characters that haven't even managed to stand out enough for me to remember their names.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The whole series so far is just useless filler from BLs lesser authors. They wrote themselves into a corner because the setting has moved ahead at least a decade, so that likely means nothing consequential can happen.

Based on your spoilers, it sounds like you haven't read Chris Wraight's Custodes novels, you should read them instead.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Chemtrailologist posted:

The whole series so far is just useless filler from BLs lesser authors. They wrote themselves into a corner because the setting has moved ahead at least a decade, so that likely means nothing consequential can happen.

Based on your spoilers, it sounds like you haven't read Chris Wraight's Custodes novels, you should read them instead.

I probably should since I love his White Scars HH novels despite not caring about the Scars and he writes Death Guard really well.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Finally got around to reading Double Eagle. Goddamn that was a ripping yarn.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I finished Vaults of terra: The Dark City and wow, the ending was a lot darker than I expected for a trilogy. None of the characters get even a remotely good ending! Very typical of the Imperium to nuke itself in the foot by scuttling the dark eldar throne deal, though. Poor Gorgias :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I mean literally would also destroy the imperium if it went through.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

jadebullet posted:

I probably should since I love his White Scars HH novels despite not caring about the Scars and he writes Death Guard really well.

Definitely read them, also seconding the Dawn of Fire novels are not worth bothering with.

Only thing I'd say for them is at least they're not as bad as "The Beast Arises" series.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Demiurge4 posted:

I mean literally would also destroy the imperium if it went through.

Would it? I was under the impression that it would have actually saved the throne, unless the DE were lying to Crowl at the very end, where it seems to have had very little reason to do so

It was a great little series, though. Very much recommend it, it was neat to visit terra in 40k

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

I finished Vaults of terra: The Dark City and wow, the ending was a lot darker than I expected for a trilogy. None of the characters get even a remotely good ending! Very typical of the Imperium to nuke itself in the foot by scuttling the dark eldar throne deal, though. Poor Gorgias :(

The throne deal was a bad deal. They were right to nuke it

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I don't know that it would have destroyed the Imperium, but the Dark Eldar having a genetically perfect clone of the Emperor seems like a real bad idea even if their initial thought was to use the clone as a barrier against Slaanesh. It clearly wasn't the deal that the Mechanicus thought it was making, too. If only they weren't so fanatically xenocidal as to not fully comprehend the differences between the Eldar and Dark Eldar.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

The throne deal was a bad deal. They were right to nuke it

Was it? I'm not trying to be obtuse, but aside from it, in a vacuum, being a bad idea to trust a deldar- how was it a bad deal for the empire? Yeah, you give commoragh a lifeline, but in exchange you do the same for the throne? If there was a major, backstabbing drawback, I must have missed it during my listen

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Finally got around to reading Double Eagle. Goddamn that was a ripping yarn.

Rereading Titanicus myself, still solid. Even if it might have too many subplots going on.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yeah I didn't get the feeling that the character rejected it because it was an objectively bad deal. They rejected it because every single human in there, including Cowl and the Custodians in their own ways, is a genuine Emperor worshipper and the idea of xenos enslaving a clone of their God is fundamentally intolerable to them. Note that they didn't even discuss the risks for a microsecond - as soon as the plan was exposed, everybody in the room went immediately berserk.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

Was it? I'm not trying to be obtuse, but aside from it, in a vacuum, being a bad idea to trust a deldar- how was it a bad deal for the empire? Yeah, you give commoragh a lifeline, but in exchange you do the same for the throne? If there was a major, backstabbing drawback, I must have missed it during my listen

The de were creating a second emperor

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Finished Creed: Ashes of Cadia, it's pretty decent. To sum it up, it starts like a commando movie but it turns rapidly into a zombie survival horror. Some really cool scenes going on there. One thing I really didn't like is that the reveal of the big macguffin they are chasing is pretty lame and not very credible, or maybe it's just Papa Creed being a smug rear end in a top hat who loved convoluted schemes for no good reason

Bohemian Nights posted:

There's a lot of assumptions going on in there. Is the secret of the Emperor's powers locked inside his genetic code? Can you create super powerful and stable alpha+ psykers just by cloning them? How no one has ever done that poo poo before?

I don't know who was right or wrong, but the Custodes flipping out and stomping on the deal once they learned what the dark eldar wanted exactly was very in-character for them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

At the very least the DE should have been up front about their project hahahah

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Primarchs have been cloned before, it probably scales up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Even apart from the blasphemy, letting the DE have a weapon like that is not a good idea

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
It was incredibly incredibly incredibly incredibly blasphemous and it's difficult to make a real comparison to a real world scenario, but there's absolutely no way that poo poo would have flown even if it wasn't the notorious backstabbers and general fuckers the DE.

It was absolutely reasonable for them go insane once the plan was revealed.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Maybe letting elon make a clone of bowie?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What if the Romans got a bit of blood and flesh from Jesus and used it in a sacrificial ritual to Jupiter or something, I guess? Wise to spoiler this because I got the twist spoiled for me and it was annoying, and it's easy to infer what we're talking about here.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
It's perfect for the setting because Crowl is a hateful, closed-minded, stubborn bigot who turns out to be completely right about everything.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Yeah, alright, I buy the whole insanely sacrilegious aspect, and I may have disregarded the larger ramifications of a cloned emperor. But, the way I imagined it, it'd be more of a slab of psychically active cloned meat with no actual intelligence, just a biological cog in a machine. Aside from not being able to fix the throne as a result of the deal falling through, the knowledge of the throne's impending failure is also "lost", though Wraight leaves just enough avenues for discovery open that not ALL hope is lost.

^ In a way, the throne falling apart and failing within "the next few hundred years", is also incredibly 40k, with any numbers of certain dooms being permanently just around the corner, no matter how many corners you turn

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You are trusting the DE could even deliver on their end of the bargain

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Plucky Brit posted:

It's perfect for the setting because Crowl is a hateful, closed-minded, stubborn bigot who turns out to be completely right about everything.

more like because he is hive mind of hateful old close minded stubborn bigots

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah, alright, I buy the whole insanely sacrilegious aspect, and I may have disregarded the larger ramifications of a cloned emperor. But, the way I imagined it, it'd be more of a slab of psychically active cloned meat with no actual intelligence, just a biological cog in a machine. Aside from not being able to fix the throne as a result of the deal falling through, the knowledge of the throne's impending failure is also "lost", though Wraight leaves just enough avenues for discovery open that not ALL hope is lost.

^ In a way, the throne falling apart and failing within "the next few hundred years", is also incredibly 40k, with any numbers of certain dooms being permanently just around the corner, no matter how many corners you turn

The other thing is considering the emperor is so strong psychically and in an unbelievable amount of pain on the throne that a clone on a comparable throne would basically be an infinite food source for all of comorragh, like a massive nuclear reactor of pain. He'd basically be a massive powerup for all the dark eldar

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My main reasoning is that the clone by itself would be useless. They would use it to hijack the Emperors soul and basically remove him from Terra and enslave him in the webway.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Bohemian Nights posted:

I reaaaaaally don't buy that you can get the throne working with just a slab of meat that's also psychic, it really, truly seems to need a guiding intelligence to function. The Emperor would have 1000% just made an internally screaming lump of psychically active meat to operate the throne if that's all it took, but instead we are shown that only him, Magnus, or Malcador could really do anything with it. That's 100% the DE lying about poo poo.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I also just finished the Vaults of Terra trilogy. Enjoyed it a lot, will probably be checking out some of Wraight's other stuff in the future. I was actually rooting for the bad guys in the end because I wanted to see what kind of horror show a cloned Emperor would be. I'm sure it would simply be a biological component of their ghetto Golden Throne and not at all some kind of grotesque howling out of control flesh monstrosity, no sir.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Chris Wraight is really great. The scene in Path of Heaven is one of my absolute favorites where Targutai Yesugai knows he is about to die after sitting on the Dark Throne so he sends out 3 psychic messages to his closest friends with his last words. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Bohemian Nights posted:

I could be wrong but my reading of it is that the Dark Eldar were going to/might use their resurrection technology instead of cloning technology on the Emperor. So instead of cloning the Emperor to get a meat puppet they were going to drag his soul from the Golden Throne on Terra and put it in their cloned body in the pits of Commorragh, as this was how the Haemonculi that was killed on Terra was able to resurrect and be at the end of the negotiations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s possible

It was a hectic part of the book

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah primarchs have been cloned but the most succesful one also had a soul stolen from an alternate universe iirc. Just cloning the Emperor would be useless since it's the soul not the flesh that makes him Him. Like even during the Heresy he's essentially just a soul that can take human form

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Primarch cloning is super weird in its results. Fabius Bile has figured out how to produce physical clones of the Primarchs, but they, with one special exception, have seemed to lack the Primarch soul that truly made them something more than just even bigger Astartes.

The Ferrus clones had the original memories up to a certain point but seemed to be weaker since Fulgrim could just snuff them out when the clones refused to join him, whereas original Ferrus almost killed Fulgrim on Istvaan and needed Daemonsword juice to bring down. Similarly, the Horus clone was overpowered and slain by Abaddon, though it was already wounded by that point.

Also, the clones dying has never produced a Warp-energy explosion which is what happened when Ferrus and Alpharius bit the dust. They just, like, died, no light-show.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Dark Eldar Haemonculi are probably the second greatest geneticists in the galaxy as a group (first being the Tyranid Norn Queens but they're not a talkative bunch) if anybody can pull off stealing the emperor's soul using a cloned body it would be them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

None of the primarch clones were using DE tech tho

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/04/unravel-peter-fehervaris-dark-coil-series-in-a-special-edition-box-set/

Today's BL news is a collection of one of the threads favourite series, namely Peter Fehervari’s Dark Coil.

quote:

First up is the anthology As Within, So Without, comprising nine stories – Nightfall, Fire and Ice, The Crown of Thorns, The Walker in Fire, The Greater Evil, The Thirteenth Psalm, Aria Arcana, Nightbleed and The Sins of My Brothers.
Books two and three are Peter Fehervari’s novels, The Reverie and Requiem Infernal

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/04/unravel-peter-fehervaris-dark-coil-series-in-a-special-edition-box-set/

Today's BL news is a collection of one of the threads favourite series, namely Peter Fehervari’s Dark Coil.

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The genetics do matter for both primarchs and the emperor, they just aren't the biggest part of their power. It's probably like 70/30 or 60/40 soul juice/genetics.