Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

coelomate posted:

Jake Tapper on CNN: "Reading the tea leaves and doing basic math, 6 house Rs have already voted to remove. If vote continues as expected, likely means McCarthy will lose, which means for the first time in the history of the U.S., a speaker will have been removed from his leadership position"

Yes... ha ha ha... yes!

How quick will they vote on a successor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

BDawg posted:

Trump! (not happening)

let me tell you about the last time people said that...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JosefStalinator posted:

Yes... ha ha ha... yes!

It took 15 rounds of voting to elect McCarthy, and that was after McCarthy had emerged as the frontrunner. Right now no one even knows who they'd be voting for

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

JosefStalinator posted:

Yes... ha ha ha... yes!

Immediately, because they can't actually do anything without a Speaker.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So this ends one of three ways right?

Either the tea party folks break and surrender

Not going to happen. Their power comes from their ability to rally a frothing base, and if they break and run in something this high stakes they would get killed back home, or worse, primary challenged from even further right.

quote:

Or the moderate Republicans convert to Democrats
Could happen with one or two repubs in Biden districts. That being said, anyone who switches parties is going to be voted out come next election, and the democrats would have very little way of controlling them.

quote:

Or some of the Democrats vote for a Republican

Never would happen.

Most likely outcome is the dems let the republicans twist in the wind for a few days.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

in my opinion the clearest choice to replace mccarthy is mccarthy

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

It took 15 rounds of voting to elect McCarthy, and that was after McCarthy had emerged as the frontrunner. Right now no one even knows who they'd be voting for

Oh I figured it would take a while - was more curious when the hilariously tortured process would begin.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I assume the Republicans will get back to a majority eventually. Maybe Gaetz and company will frame just vacating him (and maybe a few failed votes) as enough of a rap on the knuckles, along with some more vague promises and hypothetical concessions. Maybe they go so far as to prop up another member of the Republican leadership as speaker, just to change the face in charge and shake off Kevin's bad mojo.

I can't see a bunch of moderate Republicans becoming Democrats (the margin's just too big), or Democrats supporting Kevin in return for nothing, or Kevin keeping the rest of his caucus's support if he tries to strike a power-sharing deal with the Democrats that isolates the hardliners. It'll be something internal to the caucus shifting before anything else, I think.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Oh gently caress me, he's going down

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So this ends one of three ways right?

Either the tea party folks break and surrender

Or the moderate Republicans convert to Democrats

Or some of the Democrats vote for a Republican

Any other theoretical options?

Or McCarthy gives the tea party folk some “we won” banner type deal and they vote for him again.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

coelomate posted:

let me tell you about the last time people said that...

Trump or not, I don't see them electing a non-Rep.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Remember that no matter what happens, any member of the house can say the magic words and start this whole process all over again

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Seems like there's a small chance too that some conservative Dems could come to some sort of deal or agreement with McCarthy and declare themselves Problem Solvers or Non Labeled or whatever dumb poo poo name they use

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Or McCarthy gives the tea party folk some “we won” banner type deal and they vote for him again.

Yeah. I'd be shocked if McCarthy doesn't end back in the chair simply because... Who else?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dubar posted:

Remember that no matter what happens, any member of the house can say the magic words and start this whole process all over again

This is pretty inside baseball, but what would it take to get that rule removed? Can it only happen with a new congress?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I still think its more likely that Republicans find someone willing to bite the bullet than come to democrats for help

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

So we're at 216 to 207, they have to get to 218 to oust him right?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Kloaked00 posted:

Yup, two more yea votes and its over.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Kloaked00 posted:

Simple majority of those voting to oust. He's toast. You'd need 218 to get a replacement assuming the whole house is present.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My vote for speaker goes to the widening gyre.

But seriously, who the gently caress even WANTS this job? It's basically a political bomb collar that barely even comes with prestige.

There's always someone who's the right mix of ambitious and arrogant to think that they, somehow, will have less trouble with it than McCarthy did.

If you're naive enough or narcissistic enough to not realize it's an unwinnable situation, then being Speaker of the House is way cooler than being just one of 200+ Republican members of the House.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kloaked00 posted:

Just needs a majority of those present - he's done. :fork:

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Looks like final tally is 216 - 210.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The wish is granted, long live Jambi.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Yays are 216

Nays are 210

Resolution is adopted

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

The office of speaker of the house of us representatives is hearby declared vacant

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Edit: wrong thread

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

some bowtie is now crowning himself speaker pro tem

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lol that’s a hella gavel bang by bowtie thor there

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

coelomate posted:

some bowtie is now crowning himself speaker pro tem

Bah gawd, is that George Santos' music!?

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Puck42 posted:

Do we get the return of Wild and Crazy CSPAN Cameras again?

That's part of the rules package separate from the speaker (but voted on after the speaker was first elected) so I don't think so? I'm not sure if it's even possible to replace the rules package mid-session, my thought is 'probably' just via a vote but the package is not actually tied to the speakership. It just can't happen until after there's a speaker at the start of each session.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Lmao, just slamming that gavel

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

pursuant to clause 12(a) of rule 1 bowtie-chair declares the house in recess

lol

lmao

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
This rules. We're off the precipice.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Congrats to Kevin for making history with the shortest speakership in American history and becoming the only Speaker to ever be forcibly removed on the same day.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 3, 2023

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
So how long until Gaetz is found floating face down in the reflecting pool?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Cimber posted:

This is pretty inside baseball, but what would it take to get that rule removed? Can it only happen with a new congress?
A majority of the chamber can change any rule they want at any point unless the constitution explicitly defines it. Everything else is just decorum and process to run smoothly that assumes a level of good faith governing effort that isn't there anymore.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Congrats to Kevin for making history with the shortest speakership in American history and become the only Speaker to ever be forcibly removed on the same day.

Longest serving Republican speaker was Dennis Hastert.

Wonder why he rarely gets brought up.

:iiam:

Caros
May 14, 2008

The best part is that he did it to himself. He sold the possibility of a vote to vacate as part of the deal to get the speakership in the first place (rather than going for the 16th vote) and shockingly, shockingly the clowns used it against him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Gaetz is already floating Scalise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

McCarthy, who instituted the leopard eating face rule to appease the leopard eating face party, currently shocked that the leopard eating face party votes to eat McCarthy’s face