Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

bozo the clown-rear end hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
I love going out with my airsoft gun and being harmless and benign; just as harmless and benign as today's sponsor, nordvpn

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah ok gently caress this guy and somehow double gently caress him if that’s airsoft.

it’s like a guy walking around in supertight pants and awkwardly posing and presenting so that the checkout cashier lady has to see the outline of his big dick, but then when the cops arrest him for lewd and indecent conduct it turns out that it’s actually a big dildo shoved in there

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

:pathetic:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I literally never listened to thst before, I thought it was just a screen grab.

What a loving idiot.
Just wanna trigger the libs

Is it in VR for the immersion to be with the 8 bit guy?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
IIRC it was recorded on an HTC Evo 3D back during that hot minute around 2010 when it looked like 3D would be the next big smartphone gimmick.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nowher posted:

America.jpg

Micropenis syndrome.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
He seems not great!

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah I mean, I found out about the gun poo poo later, the first thing that tipped me off was that he did a studio build video and was like "my electrician looked like Morgan Freeman!" because he was an older black dude.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

tracecomplete posted:

Yeah I mean, I found out about the gun poo poo later, the first thing that tipped me off was that he did a studio build video and was like "my electrician looked like Morgan Freeman!" because he was an older black dude.

lmao

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Nowher posted:

America.jpg

lol he's going to get murked by the police in a microcenter parking lot

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nothus posted:

lol he's going to get murked by the police in a microcenter parking lot

He’s white he’s totally fine

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wait, retrobrighting is bad? :(

Odd Tinkering does this with all his videos.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's a split opinion in the retro community, some people have said Retrobrite makes plastic more brittle and prone to yellowing even more while others have said so what I only need it to look good for 30 seconds of footage in a Youtube video.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
It's mainly UV light that causes the yellowing right? If you're going to store it carefully and out of sunlight it kind of makes sense. If you plan to actively use it rather than have it as a conversation piece the brittleness could be a problem, and if you're going to use it or have it in a sunlit room, definitely don't bother.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Flagrama posted:

It's mainly UV light that causes the yellowing right? If you're going to store it carefully and out of sunlight it kind of makes sense. If you plan to actively use it rather than have it as a conversation piece the brittleness could be a problem, and if you're going to use it or have it in a sunlit room, definitely don't bother.

I don’t know what the standards are in the retro electronics community but pretty much every other antique/retro thing community considers restoration like this destructive and the original condition pieces to be worth more.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don’t know what the standards are in the retro electronics community but pretty much every other antique/retro thing community considers restoration like this destructive and the original condition pieces to be worth more.
There's in fact a whole word for the change in a surface that's acquired from age and exposure: Patina :science:

And yeah, it's absolutely part of the appeal; just look at any European town with copper roofs - heck, it's even a thing in some parts of Usania, and the Statue of Liberty is famous for it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah leave that 40 year old jizm on there, it enhances the experience.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
In the case of the SNES, the plastic and flame retardant in the plastic oxidizes with exposure to air. More details: http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

They promised us ABS plastic would last forever, but all our old macs are turning to dust and the rubber belts and feet degrades into oily goop :smith:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah the brown is the bromine coming out, UV exposure helps it do that quicker

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

r u ready to WALK posted:

They promised us ABS plastic would last forever, but all our old macs are turning to dust and the rubber belts and feet degrades into oily goop :smith:

And that soft rubber coating on mice, joysticks & other electronics is slowly turning into a sticky mess. :barf:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RetroBytes chose to paint over his yellowed amiga 500 and i kind of agree with that especially if it's something you're going to use regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCv9wbQwgHU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
thought i saw a post elsewhere that the 8-bit guy used his daughter and/or her friends as models for some camera review or something

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's standard procedure for Youtubers with kids though.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Please watch this video about the science of retrobrite and common myths/explanations for things. Retrobriting is just bleaching, if you use good technique (like vapor chambers with minimal heat) you won’t get marbling and it won’t make things more brittle than they already are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPl356YKcVs

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Before being aware he was a gun weird, I gave up on 8 bit guy because EVERY VIDEO had about 40% of it devoted to the retrobriting process. Like, we know dude, you put them in the stuff, you put the tubs on your driveway because you're in texas and there's sunshine, you rinse the stuff off, I don't need to see it in full every time you get a new device in your collection.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Before being aware he was a gun weird, I gave up on 8 bit guy because EVERY VIDEO had about 40% of it devoted to the retrobriting process. Like, we know dude, you put them in the stuff, you put the tubs on your driveway because you're in texas and there's sunshine, you rinse the stuff off, I don't need to see it in full every time you get a new device in your collection.

Obnoxious Right-Wing Texan needs to constantly proclaim how sunny it is in Occupied North Mexico 24/7, film at 11

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

There's a subset of people who watch retro tech channels for something kind of like ASMR - the footage/process of retrobriting or recapping a board is a calming, important part of a video to them. I wouldn't be surprised if 8bitguy was appealing to that crowd.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seems Starfield got GN back to more regularly doing game specific benchmarking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAjQXdwkgEE

Third one in like two weeks

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arivia posted:

There's a subset of people who watch retro tech channels for something kind of like ASMR - the footage/process of retrobriting or recapping a board is a calming, important part of a video to them.

they are incorrect and I will fight them in the street

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

Please watch this video about the science of retrobrite and common myths/explanations for things. Retrobriting is just bleaching, if you use good technique (like vapor chambers with minimal heat) you won’t get marbling and it won’t make things more brittle than they already are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPl356YKcVs
The actual science is described in this pdf.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The actual science is described in this pdf.

The topics and chemistry in that document are addressed in the video, but if you prefer reading it’s a good TL:DW summary.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

There's a subset of people who watch retro tech channels for something kind of like ASMR - the footage/process of retrobriting or recapping a board is a calming, important part of a video to them. I wouldn't be surprised if 8bitguy was appealing to that crowd.

That was part of the reason I watched his videos along with RMC's restoration videos. That was also before his more chuddy aspects were more well-known, mind you.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

Stuff like TDNC and Macho Nacho are far better for that kind of thing really.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

The topics and chemistry in that document are addressed in the video, but if you prefer reading it’s a good TL:DW summary.
I would be very surprised to learn that the video isn't using the pdf as a source, even if it isn't properly credited - the article on HackaDay that it was published with is from January, 2021.

There's also some overlap between the sources.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Arivia posted:

He might be aiming for them but he sure as gently caress doesn't have a soothing voice. LGR, RMC, Techmoan and even guys like Perifractic are way easier to listen to if that's what people are after. Originally he was just one of only a few prominent guys doing this stuff but the space has been comfortably filled by loads of people doing it better and without breaking rare prototypes.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The intro to the new LTT video is genuinely hilarious and at Linus's expense. I clipped it so you can enjoy it without giving Linus any money:

https://2by2.info/ltt_phone_drop.mp4

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The iPhone should have survived that but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
I think he used a galaxy fold so that's probably why a dip bricked it