Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8SyAGBGIk0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
The Leader (Possibly) of the Civilizing Forces has checked in.

:newt: posted:

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) is an anti-Republican who has become actively destructive to the conservative movement.

Drama has filled the halls of Congress for 234 years. Bringing together a group of 435 strong-willed personalities guarantees conflict, and it has always been a tumultuous body. But some behavior crosses the line — and when it does, there has to be consequences.
Gaetz obviously hates House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) — and that’s fine. If Gaetz were simply a loudmouthed junior member who attacked McCarthy every day, that would be fine, too. He would just be isolated with a small group of lawmakers who can’t figure out how to get things done. They’d huddle together seeking warmth and reassurance from their fellow incompetents.
But Gaetz has gone beyond regular drama. He is destroying the House GOP’s ability to govern and draw a sharp contrast with the policy disasters of the Biden administration.
Former House speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), a liberal Democrat with whom I disagree on almost everything, perfectly captured Gaetz’s childish behavior in an interview with CNN’s Jake Tapper on Sunday. Gaetz “has no sway” or influence in Congress, Pelosi said, “except to get on TV and to raise money on the internet.” Pelosi told Tapper he was “wasting [his] time on that guy.”
I served 20 years in the House, including four as speaker. On occasion, I fought against the GOP establishment. I led the fight against President George H.W. Bush’s 1990 tax increase after he had broken his word about “no new taxes.” I felt bound to stay with my commitment to the American voters.
Unlike Gaetz, though, when I rebelled, I represented the majority view of the caucus at the time.
Gaetz’s motion to remove McCarthy should have been swiftly defeated, but it wasn’t; he should still be expelled from the House Republican Conference. House Republicans have far more important things to do than entertain one member’s ego.

Bit late on the draw, Newt, but also... :sickos:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
What happens when they can't agree on a new speaker? Did they just defacto shut down the government because nothing can happen without a speaker?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

How many Scaramucci’s was this? Like…24? 25?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What happens when they can't agree on a new speaker? Did they just defacto shut down the government because nothing can happen without a speaker?

Its a little different than at the start of a session because you need to vote for a speaker before you can pass House rules, but those rules are still in effect.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

By default congress becomes a Spirit Halloween store

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It is believed that the House cannot conduct legislative business without a speaker. Thus, it would be impossible to pass appropriations bills or another continuing resolution.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

marshmonkey posted:

the boos have it

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kid Rock will be voted in as Singer of the House instead

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The government is still funded for 45 days I believe but the house can't do anything else till they sort this out yeah.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Good luck finding somebody in the current house that has greater support among the GOP rank and file members right now than McCarthy. :lol: Even the whip I doubt can get a majority

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The government is still funded for 45 days I believe but the house can't do anything else till they sort this out yeah.

They'll probably still be unable to pick a speaker without dem votes in that time, so get ready for a long shut down folks.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So how many times will Jeffries get the majority of the votes this time? What's the over/under?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So McCarthy is out then?

Tremendous content etc etc

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1709310557546070423
Cry more

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1709312529946873968
Republican conference should be pretty spicy, wonder if McCarthy is gonna try to put someone else up or just try himself again

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Randalor posted:

So how many times will Jeffries get the majority of the votes this time? What's the over/under?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

One of the House Freedom Caucus members who helped oust Boehner is also defending McCarthy by correctly pointing out that McCarthy is spineless and gave in to all of their demands.

https://twitter.com/fredbauerblog/status/1709288334747443264

He's certainly a fellow traveler, but Tom Massie isn't actually a Freedom Caucus member. (e: or at least, he's publicly denied being one.)

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Why would they vote to vacate without a clear plan for someone else to take the job?

It seems a bit faulty to ask someone to volunteer to stand where you just tossed a grenade, and blew up the guy that was there, all while smiling and holding another grenade.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

They can't pass any bills or do any real House business without a speaker. Existing bills remain in effect, though, so the government as a whole won't shut down until the spending bills authorizing it to spend money expire. Which will happen in a bit under six weeks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Why would they vote to vacate without a clear plan for someone else to take the job?

It seems a bit faulty to ask someone to volunteer to stand where you just tossed a grenade, and blew up the guy that was there, all while smiling and holding another grenade.

Because they don't know how to govern and are motivated entirely by the incoherent anger and demands of their base

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Gaetz and allies don't care about running the government, they just want to hurt their enemies

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Matt Gaetz would probably say it's about sending a message.

Most other people would probably say it's because Matt Gaetz is an idiot.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

In my opinion it's more about building 'Street Cred' for their future careers as TV pundits and guest speakers.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

eviltastic posted:

He's certainly a fellow traveler, but Tom Massie isn't actually a Freedom Caucus member. (e: or at least, he's publicly denied being one.)

He was also bought in a way by McCarthy- after mccarthy's elevation to speaker he got a spot on the rules committee along with Chip Roy, and he got chair of the antitrust subcommittee when it should have gone to Ken Buck (who is now super pissed) by seniority.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

marshmonkey posted:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So on the non-zero percent chance Jeffries actually gets elected Speaker, csn he immediately remove the rule saying that anyone can oust the Speaker, or is that rule in place for the term?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Years and years of a total lack of accountability and "win" at all costs partisan hackery mentality brought the GOP to this point where one random rear end in a top hat far right extremist from Florida could dictate the fate of an entire congress because their party allows these people ridiculously outsized influence. Don't expect accountability to visit the GOP any time soon or for the U.S to ever reach a point where the system doesn't overwhelmingly favor them most election cycles to where they can effectively stumble and bumble and poo poo talk their way to slim majorities or strong minorities every single election. It's so blatant to everyone that doesn't drink the QAnon Kool-Aid which is the dysfunctional bad party in the states and which is the painfully disappointing but still quasi-functional one and has been since I was in high school and not even allowed to vote in election yet.

Piell posted:

Gaetz and allies don't care about running the government, they just want to hurt their enemies

He's firmly in the grievance politics camp of congressperson as brought to you by the likes of social media and the MAGA movement yeah.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Randalor posted:

So on the non-zero percent chance Jeffries actually gets elected Speaker, csn he immediately remove the rule saying that anyone can oust the Speaker, or is that rule in place for the term?

If Jeffries wins, can he eliminate the rule that requires the House to have a speaker to function

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

So like, businesses & rich people fund Republican campaigns because their policies are more immediately profitable than Democratic policies, right? At what point does antics like this and shutdowns start to cost them more than Democratic policies do? Wrecking the US's international credibility and interrupting basic government services that everyone depends on has to start impacting business bottom lines sometime, right? How bad does it have to get before they stop paying for Republican campaigns?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

ColdPie posted:

So like, businesses & rich people fund Republican campaigns because their policies are more immediately profitable than Democratic policies, right? At what point does antics like this and shutdowns start to cost them more than Democratic policies do? Wrecking the US's international credibility and interrupting basic government services that everyone depends on has to start impacting business bottom lines sometime, right? How bad does it have to get before they stop paying for Republican campaigns?

it'll never happen because they've grown up their whole lives thinking Republicans are better for biz even though they're often not. it's so ingrained it's never coming out.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

This is unfair. Spirit Halloweens are actually useful.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
USCE Fall: McCarthy, his face eaten

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

When McCarthy won the speakership, one of the conditions he offered Gaetz was basically "if I don't do everything you say, you can blow me up with this grenade I'm giving you". On top of that, Gaetz waved that grenade around basically all the time, constantly making all sorts of demands.

When McCarthy got sick of him and started ignoring his demands, Gaetz kind of had to throw that grenade if he wanted to retain any leverage at all. If not, he would have been seen as a pushover who was all threats and no action.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

ColdPie posted:

So this is a general poll, rather than a poll of businesses & rich people, but I do not think much progress has been made in terms of convincing the country that the Republican are a threat to the economy.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/4235353-gop-holds-edge-in-new-poll-on-safeguarding-prosperity-military-security/

(Polling from gallup)

"Fifty-three percent of respondents said the GOP would do a better job at keeping the country prosperous over the next few years, compared to the Democrats’ 39 percent. The 14-point advantage is the widest gap on the question since mid-1991. It also is up from the 10-point gap last year. "

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Congrats to Kevin for making history with the shortest speakership in American history and becoming the only Speaker to ever be forcibly removed on the same day.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/RepLuna/status/1709310697060855907

First public demand has been made (she didn't vote today because she's out on maternity leave so seems like there would actually have been 9 votes against McCarthy, she's returning now)

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 3, 2023

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
lol and additionally lmao. I hope they vote to expel Gaetz on down the line too.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Piell posted:

First public demand has been made (she didn't vote today because she's out on maternity leave so seems like there would actually have been 9 votes against McCarthy, she's returning now)

A Republican taking maternity leave is like a vegetarian having a steak dinner.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Piell posted:

Ugh, I've actually met this person a few times. Trump train, First-Middle-Last train, and literally does the looks-good-in-yoga-pants strategy outside of polling stations to secure votes.

Basically shove MTG into a vat and push the "Younger, hispanic, vet" button and here you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

ColdPie posted:

When you say "businesses and rich people" think more family owned business (Uihleins, Ron Johnson, local car dealership chains) than huge financial institutions. Someone like Romney will occasionally support good policy on line-go-up grounds, but that part of the party is disappearing.