Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Was the second explosion from natural gas or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Was the second explosion from natural gas or what?

it looks like some sort of tiny fuel-air bomb. I think the black smoke at the start is the fuel-air mixing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The one time I ever went go-karting at a legit track, everyone got mad at me for doing exactly that but I was just a small guy and also it was my bachelor party so nobody did anything. I was just channeling my inner Wario.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Vampire Panties posted:

it looks like some sort of tiny fuel-air bomb. I think the black smoke at the start is the fuel-air mixing.

Since this seems to be in the Netherlands, I was thinking carbide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlP3RDL0YW8&t=180s

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, the driver on the left for trying to force him into the wall. If you are being passed you can't actually force them out, you can try to block them from passing when they are behind you, but that's all.

lmao what a dumb rear end sport, where's the fun if potential death isn't around every bend?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Furious George posted:

Today he would have been penalised for forcing another driver off track (the white line is now semi-consistently considered the edge of the track), but then he wouldn't have been penalised because he is Michael Schumacher

I guess life black-flagged him for us, am I right folks? Am I right?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zopotantor posted:

Since this seems to be in the Netherlands, I was thinking carbide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlP3RDL0YW8&t=180s
Nah, it was a fuel-air bomb like the others said, apparently using several jerrycans, and tens of liters of gasoline. But it was indeed in the Netherlands, in a very rural area, so you can be sure the guys also engage in carbidschieten.
Three guys were convicted to 200 hours of community service and 6 months probation. The damage to the tunnel cost €55.000,- to repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abql2ExwG54

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 3, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I guess that I’m unclear on why people would detonate a fuel–air bomb in a public park (?).

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It makes a very loud bang :shrug: (it's a bicycle tunnel through a park yeah)
Dutch people go crazy with fireworks around New Year's. Lots of mailboxes and trashcans and bus shelters get blown up each year.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

I guess that I’m unclear on why people would detonate a fuel–air bomb in a public park (?).

Dudes rock

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ekuNNN posted:

Three guys were convicted to 200 hours of community service and 6 months probation. The damage to the tunnel cost €55.000,- to repair.

Six months probation, huh. What are their user names?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

haveblue posted:

Dudes rock

Lol

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Mexico is the country with the festival where you hit explosives with sledgehammers, right? I can't remember if it's Mexican or Dutch.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, that's mexico
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PpO0KRPHrM

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://imgur.com/OQTB90t.mp4

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

:piss:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Is a squirrel the British equivalent of a tequila worm?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

can't park there, mate

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, the driver on the left for trying to force him into the wall. If you are being passed you can't actually force them out, you can try to block them from passing when they are behind you, but that's all.

He wouldn't have had to use the shoulder/pit lane if the driver on the left hadn't tried to basically push him into the wall.

sorry but this is the only way I can win racing games

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://packaged-media.redd.it/08w1...a6500abdba4#t=0

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Orvin posted:

I am hoping this is a decent place to ask the following question:

Nearby there is a large glass and steel office building (5 stories I think) that is in the process of being torn down. There was a strange piece of equipment that I finally got to see in action. It was basically a tube on the end of a 40 foot boom lift. I drove by yesterday while they were actively demolishing the building. That tube appeared to be spraying/misting water towards the section being demoed. It was being demoed by a weight on a crane, after the glass had been removed.

Is this regular practice for destroying large concrete buildings? Or are they maybe trying to keep something a little more harmful than concrete dust from spreading around? If it matters, directly next to this building a large subdivision of brand new homes and townhomes just went up and are still being built over the past year. So it might just be trying to get ahead of complaints from the builder and/or new home owner.

I don’t think the new owner of the office builder land has approval from the city to actually build anything there yet. I read some media stories that they want to build warehouses, but the city wants to keep it more productive commercial than warehouses.

It’s the old Lucent HQ in Naperville IL, for anyone in that area.

Specifically, in that case, they're spraying to keep silica dust from the concrete demo from going everywhere on site and over the neighborhood. Long term exposure to silica dust is bad and can lead to silicosis, but as long as it's on the ground and dampish and not in a massive dust cloud it's pretty harmless and will just mix in with the soil.

If they were dealing with something worse, like lead paint or asbestos, there'd be actual containment measures, such as tarps and negitive air filters. Letting any of that kinda stuff out into the environment and not properly containing it usually comes with angry government people and large fines

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rocks don't yield

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:catstare: Splash zone taking on a whole new meaning

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s foreshortening and they’re not nearly as close as they look, I tell myself.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Media consumption has destroyed modern people's sense of self preservation. Or is it "if it isn't safe they wouldn't let us do it"?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
They should just be made to wear safety glasses, in case a 30 lb, 1500C molten boulder clocks them on the head

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

starkebn posted:

Media consumption has destroyed modern people's sense of self preservation. Or is it "if it isn't safe they wouldn't let us do it"?

It’s important to balance the risk reduction associated with not being within spitting distance of an erupting volcano with the mental health impacts of missing out on something so awesome.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

HolHorsejob posted:

They should just be made to wear safety glasses, in case a 30 lb, 1500C molten boulder clocks them on the head

The presence of large rocks does not imply the absence of tiny rocks

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Platystemon posted:

It’s important to balance the risk reduction associated with not being within spitting distance of an erupting volcano with the mental health impacts of missing out on something so awesome.

And think of many hits they'll get when it shows up on their insta!

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7285468129369574702

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

CommieGIR posted:

He wouldn't have had to use the shoulder/pit lane if the driver on the left hadn't tried to basically push him into the wall.

This is probably a dumbass comment but if they are so concerned about how drivers pass and block each other why are they on the track at the same time? Shouldn't they do like, time trials? Would be much safer. :colbert:

Platystemon posted:

It’s foreshortening and they’re not nearly as close as they look, I tell myself.

But this seems to actually be what it is? They appear to be on a ridge that looks out onto the all the magma flow of death, not right beside it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pvt. Parts posted:

This is probably a dumbass comment but if they are so concerned about how drivers pass and block each other why are they on the track at the same time? Shouldn't they do like, time trials? Would be much safer. :colbert:

But this seems to actually be what it is? They appear to be on a ridge that looks out onto the all the magma flow of death, not right beside it.

I dunno, it looks like some are on the blackened rock on the far right, seems like they're quite close.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

starkebn posted:

Eh, we've always been a stupid species, we just have video evidence these days.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

OK by "Squirrel in the wine" do they mean:

1. One of the wine bottles has a deceased squirrel in it.
2. There is a squirrel living in the wine racks.
3. There is a drunk squirrel around ("been in the wine")
4. There is a very drunk squirrel living in one of the wine bottles.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Smik posted:

OK by "Squirrel in the wine" do they mean:

1. One of the wine bottles has a deceased squirrel in it.
2. There is a squirrel living in the wine racks.
3. There is a drunk squirrel around ("been in the wine")
4. There is a very drunk squirrel living in one of the wine bottles.

Guessing #2, and has startled folks who subsequently dropped 1+ bottles on the floor.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Yes. One squirrel, in the order of 3,2,4,1

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PainterofCrap posted:

Guessing #2, and has startled folks who subsequently dropped 1+ bottles on the floor.

Which the squirrel lapped up, thus exacerbating the problem.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, it's this. It's pretty straightforward to make something in the far distance look huge, and looming close to something in the middle distance, as long as you can keep everything in a line. Basically you just stand way back and use a zoom lens.

Source: https://petapixel.com/2013/04/27/silhouettes-in-a-giant-moonrise-captured-using-a-1200mm-lens/

The people watching the volcano at the railing aren't significantly closer than the photographer, I think.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 4, 2023

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/DxyhCKV.mp4

When you accidentally set the Zamboni to "Defrost"...

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
The good ol' Spicy Zamboni.

... I should call her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When the mixtape is straight fire