Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Vegetable posted:

I wonder how much of “my battery now lasts forever” is just people moving from an ancient phone with 80% battery capacity to, you know, a new battery

Also they must be charging it then leaving it in a drawer or something, I’ve never had any iPhone last two days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Snowy posted:

Also they must be charging it then leaving it in a drawer or something, I’ve never had any iPhone last two days

Yeah my phone definitely doesn’t last an entire day normally but the juice it gets from car rides and stuff pulls it through.

My watch though. I only use it for notifications and telling time, if I turn it off when I sleep it’ll last 3 days.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I would regularly take my iPhone 13 PM off the charger on a Friday and not put it back on until late Sunday. On wifi , anyway.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

I would regularly take my iPhone 13 PM off the charger on a Friday and not put it back on until late Sunday. On wifi , anyway.
Your saturdays sound a little sad my man

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
They’re too busy loving to be on the phone

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I think there's just one poor lady in the mobile device management team now, there were at least 4-5 before covid and of course the company is in austerity mode and who needs to backfill support positions! I'm not sure how many people she supports but in my division alone there's at least 200 people that have work issued cell phones, and that's just the western US. We're a multinational with over a hundred thousand employees, so no idea how many people she supports by herself. Anyway, corporations are stupid and I'm gonna pay for an iPhone now I guess!

It’s wild how small some teams are at Apple. They have thousands of employees world wide but they are almost all retail and customer support and even some of those customer support teams are like, well, one person.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RandolphCarter posted:

How much longer can I expect to get updates on an 11 pro max? Battery is starting to go and I’m wondering if I should swap the battery or just upgrade?

The iOS 17 device list is down to the XS and XR, so maybe one more iOS release before it goes to just security updates. Probably still a solid 2-3 years of it being perfectly useable with a battery swap though.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

njsykora posted:

The iOS 17 device list is down to the XS and XR, so maybe one more iOS release before it goes to just security updates. Probably still a solid 2-3 years of it being perfectly useable with a battery swap though.

Thanks. Probably just swap the battery and start saving for a new phone.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

My iPhone battery has been terrible for a while now so out of curiosity I used one of those shortcuts to parse the log file and get my actual battery capacity which turns out to be 74.51%. Meanwhile the battery in settings is reported as 85%, conveniently too high to get it replaced under ac+ (which expires in a few days). Well played Apple.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Virtue posted:

My iPhone battery has been terrible for a while now so out of curiosity I used one of those shortcuts to parse the log file and get my actual battery capacity which turns out to be 74.51%. Meanwhile the battery in settings is reported as 85%, conveniently too high to get it replaced under ac+ (which expires in a few days). Well played Apple.

Should let a tech reporter know about it. Might bea class action just waiting to happen

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
man, macro mode on the Pro is great (sorry if this is old news, I upgraded from the 12 Pro)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've never actually tried to get two days but I probably could on some busy weekends where I barely have any screen-on time.
I'll go to bed and put it on the charger at like 66%

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

so apparently there is a bug in ios 17.0.2 that prevents you from searching for all your imessages. my issue is it returns only a few results. for example my friend moved to tokyo in august or so but searching for the word, "tokyo" doesn't return his chat but i can easily scroll up to find it when i go directly into the chat.

this is annoying to say the least and apparently they've known about it since the beta.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I get about 12 hours but also I let several apps do some background stuff that I probably wouldn't if I actually cared about my battery life.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Vegetable posted:

Your saturdays sound a little sad my man

You’re right I’ll try to live a life where I spend my free time ignoring my life and instead stay locked in on my loving phone, lmao

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Strong Sauce posted:

so apparently there is a bug in ios 17.0.2 that prevents you from searching for all your imessages. my issue is it returns only a few results. for example my friend moved to tokyo in august or so but searching for the word, "tokyo" doesn't return his chat but i can easily scroll up to find it when i go directly into the chat.

this is annoying to say the least and apparently they've known about it since the beta.

Text search functionality has always been rear end.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The volume normalization is good but it can squash the tracks a bit, so if you're listening with a hifi setup and really want the best output, I would personally recommend turning it to Off and adjusting on a per-album basis.

Doesn't matter for the vast majority of people but worth mentioning imo :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The tracking for my trade-in hasn't changed in a week.

I have heard trade-ins disappearing is not that rare, so if that does end up being the case what happens?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Aphrodite posted:

The tracking for my trade-in hasn't changed in a week.

I have heard trade-ins disappearing is not that rare, so if that does end up being the case what happens?

You have to have the shipper do an investigation and it takes for loving ever

My wife’s got processed yesterday, mine is in process, so I wouldn’t worry about it just yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Phone carriers are bad at everything but trade ins is a new low. ATT can't even agree on how you get a shipping label, one part of the website says to use the label in the box but somewhere else it says you need a second label, the one in the box is for returning the new phone and if you use it your trade in goes to the wrong facility.

I'm thinking I'll just take it to an ATT store this weekend and make it someone else's problem.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dogen posted:

You have to have the shipper do an investigation and it takes for loving ever

My wife’s got processed yesterday, mine is in process, so I wouldn’t worry about it just yet.

Oh, mine's not even close to that far. It stopped after 1 hop at a UPS facility the day I dropped it off.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Oh yeah, my comment applies to the vendor Apple is using this time (we are going through ATT for the bill credits but it’s being facilitated by Apple).

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, mine's not even close to that far. It stopped after 1 hop at a UPS facility the day I dropped it off.

You could call them (UPS customer service) but I don’t know that they’d do much yet other than say give it time or vague promises to look into it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah I'm going to wait a little while still.

Odds are they won't talk to me though since I'm not the actual shipper, I just used a return label.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Where's it stuck? Apple and other outfits have their return/repair facilities in those big UPS and Fedex hubs. Your phone could be where it's supposed to be, sitting in a pile of a hundred other phones just waiting to be processed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Where's it stuck? Apple and other outfits have their return/repair facilities in those big UPS and Fedex hubs. Your phone could be where it's supposed to be, sitting in a pile of a hundred other phones just waiting to be processed.

I guess that could be the case. I'm pretty sure the location it's at is the one everything goes through when they arrive in Montreal, and so presumably where they have to go on the way out too. Lachine, QC.

The delivery address was for Concord, ON though.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 3, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It took a month plus for me to trade my last few phones in. I wouldn’t worry about it yet. There’s probably 14 million phone boxes in a pile.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Mine’s going through what seems like an insane transfer process with Pitney Bowes (ordered through AT&T, traded in through AT&T). Sent it back on like 09/23 and it’s not expected to arrive until tomorrow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

illcendiary posted:

Mine’s going through what seems like an insane transfer process with Pitney Bowes (ordered through AT&T, traded in through AT&T). Sent it back on like 09/23 and it’s not expected to arrive until tomorrow.

Pitney Bowes is nothing but a label printer, they basically do the same thing pirateship does but at an enterprise level. Your label was actually a USPS label and the package when through the USPS.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

xzzy posted:

Pitney Bowes is nothing but a label printer, they basically do the same thing pirateship does but at an enterprise level. Your label was actually a USPS label and the package when through the USPS.

My Pirate Ship labels actually always say Pitney Bowes too.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just had a "overheat" event on my 15 Pro. I checked the weather, put on a podcast (through speakers) and stuck the phone in a pocket while I ironed a shirt. After maybe 10-15 minutes i took out my phone and it was VERY hot (not in a case). Not burning hot, but ... like the outside of a mug with a hot drink, i guess. You know how hot it can get if you accidentally leave the camera on and put the phone in a pocket? Much hotter than that. It also ate like 10% of the battery. Let's hope it's a one-off, it's been perfectly normal before this, even during during the initial sync and so on.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

NFX posted:

I just had a "overheat" event on my 15 Pro. I checked the weather, put on a podcast (through speakers) and stuck the phone in a pocket while I ironed a shirt. After maybe 10-15 minutes i took out my phone and it was VERY hot (not in a case). Not burning hot, but ... like the outside of a mug with a hot drink, i guess. You know how hot it can get if you accidentally leave the camera on and put the phone in a pocket? Much hotter than that. It also ate like 10% of the battery. Let's hope it's a one-off, it's been perfectly normal before this, even during during the initial sync and so on.

Hot Pocket

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Apple is revolutionizing hand warmers for the colder markets.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it did make for a good hand warmer. Seeing as it's the first time in over a week of use, it definitely does feel more like a software bug than a design flaw.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

NFX posted:

Yeah, it did make for a good hand warmer. Seeing as it's the first time in over a week of use, it definitely does feel more like a software bug than a design flaw.

yet another feature shamelessly stolen from android

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
no need to buy an iron when I have an iphone

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NFX posted:

no need to buy an iron when I have an iphone

That’s what the i stands for

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

NFX posted:

Supposedly there were a couple apps that would trigger this. It sounds like a software issue

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

xzzy posted:

Phone carriers are bad at everything but trade ins is a new low. ATT can't even agree on how you get a shipping label, one part of the website says to use the label in the box but somewhere else it says you need a second label, the one in the box is for returning the new phone and if you use it your trade in goes to the wrong facility.

I'm thinking I'll just take it to an ATT store this weekend and make it someone else's problem.

Just a heads up I had to fight AT&T for hours of my life because I took it to a store and they boggled returning it. Have someone sign something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I checked on the AT&T subreddit to see if I could do a trade in at the store instead of shipping it and the place is full of employees saying they’ll refuse to do it no matter what corporate policy says because it hurts their metrics. Same for returns of online items in store, which AT&T explicitly says you can do. Also anyone who attempts this is a lazy entitled piece of poo poo. Nice folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So once I delete an app, is there any way to delete it from my purchase history so it doesn’t show the cloud download button in the App Store?