Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Owldad is a very harsh lesson in how to play neutral and advantage states then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The coolest thing about World's Worst Dad is how drastically his AI changes if he tags you with his heal prevention stuff. Dude gets aggressive as hell

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Yeah my preferred strat against Owl uses thrust attacks quite alot. The one attack where he does a single Ichimonji can be sidestepped (the timing is generous in my experience) and punished with a thrust attack.

Any time he does the elbow bash and single single sword slash that knocks you back on both deflects, he is going to follow up with a spray of firecrackers and a flaming sword swipe. You know what the best thing to do here is? After the first two deflects that push you backwards, hold R1 and you will thrust forward, stepping forward as the firecrackers explode harmlessly behind and interrupting Owl before he can do the flaming sword slash.

I'm really good at fighting Owl Dad, I stick on top of him and get into a rhythm and end up flawlessing him even with Charmless Demon Bell.

I have more trouble with Great Shinobi Owl on the other hand, alot of his dirty tricks are meant to break your rhythm. I even should get into the habit of ignoring that stupid lloyd's talisman he throws out, my usual tactic of sidestepping out of the pool often puts me at a bad angle and his followup attacks often dead angle through my deflects and one-shot me (at the difficulty levels I play at).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The subtle differences between owl dad and great shinobi owl are one of my favourite things about this game. Just little variations in tactics and style that give you the impression he's a bit older and weaker. So easy to ignore or not even think about, but Fromsoft did that for us.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

honestly this is really just Elden Ring

The variable timings and the rollcatches (so many rollcatches) are more ER's thing, but the rest applied to the framework starting with DS2 and continuing on to ER. They chilled a little on the lazy susan tracking after DS2 but it never got back to feeling like the normal combat from Demon's. Honestly the whole souls schtick from earlier games barely registers in ER's constant backhop->slow walk->gap closer boss fights.

Thanks to this discussion I've now reinstalled Sekiro and my coordination is so messed up by Lies of P that I'm doing everything way too early. :v:

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

bike tory posted:

The subtle differences between owl dad and great shinobi owl are one of my favourite things about this game. Just little variations in tactics and style that give you the impression he's a bit older and weaker. So easy to ignore or not even think about, but Fromsoft did that for us.

It’s very cool. I like to read it as not just that Great Shinobi Owl is older and physically weaker, but also the act of betraying Wolf sapped his spiritual power. He lost the ability to summon his spirit owl because killing his foster son took something away from him. The fact that he left the memory charm behind indicated he does feel regret or at least guilt.

That and/or the memory is what Owl wished had happened at the Hirata Estate: an honorable showdown with Wolf, not sacrificing his confidant Lady Butteryfly to get a swing in at his unsuspecting son.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I read it more as Wolf's mental landscape -- the first go-round is him being in denial that his father figure could ever betray him (despite, like, there clearly having been a betrayal of some sort and another of his old mentors clearly being in on it), and the second go-round is basically him killing the cop Owl Dad in his head. It's also why Owl's able to do outright loving magic instead instead of just a bunch of clever ninja tricks -- Owl isn't a demon or an immortal, that's just the stature he assumes in young Wolf's eyes.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 4, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Still haven't made a ton of progress from the Ashina Castle statue - spent more time identifying routes and exploring down them. The boss of the Hirata pathway is proving too much for me right now, so I decided to go get some more prayer beads.

Decided to take out the dude at the top of the Ashina staircase. I suck at the game so it took a few tries and then, when I won, my jaw dropped when I opened the door behind him does not open from this side you loving assholes

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Just started playing sekiro and I love how intense the deflect mechanic makes combat. Feels way more fluid compared to ER where you kinda have to wait around enemy attacks. Sekiro is just like go go go go.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Meadowhill posted:

Just started playing sekiro and I love how intense the deflect mechanic makes combat. Feels way more fluid compared to ER where you kinda have to wait around enemy attacks. Sekiro is just like go go go go.

Yeah! ER's combat can definitely be tense and interesting, but it just can't produce the same kind of adrenaline-tinged, breakneck engagement as a Sekiro bossfight. When you finally nail that Sekiro battle you've been struggling with and go from immediately eating poo poo to suddenly being loving untouchable, it feels goddamn awesome.

Going from Sekiro to ER is like going from ER to OG Dark Souls. It feels like you're in permanent bullet time, as though everything in the game is wading through molasses.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Meadowhill posted:

It's so good to be free of the tyranny of the stamina bar. I feel like the only thing holding me back in Sekiro is my ability to devote enough brain space to attacking and defending myself, not that I can't act because I ran out of green.

Man With Scissor
Mar 18, 2008
Started a Kuro's charm-less run on NG++ and it's so fun, almost like learning to play this game all over again. Ugh, this game is so good.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Mr. Fish posted:

With the bull, get ready to parry once you see his horns dip before he charges. I like to follow up the parry with an Ichimonji for big damage straight to the head and extra posture heal. Rinse and repeat, bing bing bong so simple

Y'all know what ? I never parried the bull once. It didn't even *occur* to me to try and parry him because of From's usual "parry is for things with weapons, natural attacks from claws/hooves/horns/bites can be blocked but never parried". I've beaten Sekiro like 3 or 4 times. It's always been "Firecracker when it goes apeshit, roll around like a 3 year old on a sugar high otherwise, sneak a big hit in when it gets stuck on terrain or charges into a corner, repeat" with the bull for me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the way I beat him, which admittedly youtube told me about, was To run away from him toward the opposite corner of the arena, and when you get far away he'll drop his head and do a straight-line charge which is super easy to deflect. If you rinse and repeat his posture will break and you'll get the deathblow before he gets his phase 2 move set.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Running around and dodging got me killed, and quickly. Getting right up in in his nose and mashing R1, parrying horns, then dodging diagonally towards him to slap his rear brought him down very quickly after getting slapped up badly in the previous three tries where I tried to out-run/out-dodge.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

I simply treat Bull, CMonk and DoH like Dark Souls bosses: get behind em and slap da butt.

I think I’ve killed them via health not posture in every playthrough.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Running around and dodging got me killed, and quickly. Getting right up in in his nose and mashing R1, parrying horns, then dodging diagonally towards him to slap his rear brought him down very quickly after getting slapped up badly in the previous three tries where I tried to out-run/out-dodge.

Yeah, dodging is worthless. The trick on the strategy I used is that if you get a certain distance away from him he only has the one attack pattern, at least for phase 1

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bull fight is easier if you don't try to deflect imo. Same with Ogre. From kinda messed up by putting the two bosses who you don't really need to deflect right at the start of their game in which you want to always be deflectin'

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I feel for bull I've found it easiest to just position yourself behind it as much as possible and just slash away. Never feels good to try and deflect when there's chip damage

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I feel for bull I've found it easiest to just position yourself behind it as much as possible and just slash away. Never feels good to try and deflect when there's chip damage
Same. Deflecting is probably still technically better, but it feels incorrect because of the chip damage. The bull is a poo poo boss because it's really unintuitive, and works differently from almost every other boss in the game. Thankfully it's one of the easiest bosses, but it still sucks to fight.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Y'all wildin'. Deflecting the bull was a million times easier for me than trying to deal with its thrashing bullshit.

The trick is really just to run away and not deal with any of his up-close stuff. You can pretty consistently force him to charge from distance and then you're dealing with a single, not too hard move that you deflect a handful of times before the beast goes down.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Well, I had a really hard time with Genichiro the first time I played this game like 2 years ago. Replaying it now for the 2nd time I got him on the first try, really was not expecting that. I guess back then I wasn't playing aggressively enough.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Item Getter posted:

Well, I had a really hard time with Genichiro the first time I played this game like 2 years ago. Replaying it now for the 2nd time I got him on the first try, really was not expecting that. I guess back then I wasn't playing aggressively enough.

Yeah the difficulty curve for a first playthrough is intense, but once you’ve mastered the clang clang you never forget. Genichiro, Owl, and Sword Saint each stonewalled me for a couple weeks I think.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Genichiro is great because (endgame spoilers) so many of his moves are the same throughout each of his appearances. You go from being destroyed by him in the tutorial to learning his moves in the midgame and then by the time you take on the final boss Geni is barely a warmup. Then you can beat him again at the start of NG+

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Party Boat posted:

Genichiro is great because (endgame spoilers) so many of his moves are the same throughout each of his appearances. You go from being destroyed by him in the tutorial to learning his moves in the midgame and then by the time you take on the final boss Geni is barely a warmup. Then you can beat him again at the start of NG+
And then when you feel confident and powerful you go die to chained ogre.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

skasion posted:

Yeah the difficulty curve for a first playthrough is intense, but once you’ve mastered the clang clang you never forget. Genichiro, Owl, and Sword Saint each stonewalled me for a couple weeks I think.

Yeah I think beating Sword Saint took me 3 days straight and I consider it my greatest accomplishment in life.

Well after bragging about Genichiro on the internet I proceeded to get killed like 80 times by Snake Eyes Shirahagi which was the same experience I had the first time around. At least the other snake eyes went down in one round after the fight with the first one finally clicked. I think that even though I beat them somehow on the first playthrough I never actually figured out how to fight them properly until now. I think it it's very easy to forget that even if someone is kicking you and shooting at you or whatever you still deflect and fight them exactly the same way as a guy with a sword.

In other words

No Wave posted:

And then when you feel confident and powerful you go die to chained ogre.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 6, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

RN I'm stuck at Genchiro, and I haven't played for a few weeks. I've explored all of the other pathways around because it felt like I wasn't quite powerful enough for him yet, but then everything went to a dead end or to places that felt even more dangerous (underground).

I guess I should try him again soon.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
First Genichiro took me so, so many tries and when I finally beat him I just wanted to do the fight again.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I had the same experience with Genichiro, that was the first real "No, seriously, you have to get good" moment for me. I haven't picked up Sekiro in, like, two years right now but I'm confident I could still beat him handily because that fight is so burned into my brain.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I guess that might be part of the design. He's a jump in difficulty, but that jump also encouraged me to do tons of exploration. Guess I just need to suck it up and beat my head against the wall.

The thing is the last time I tried him I felt like I was doing well, or well enough, in catching the parries and timing, but I wasn't making enough progress on his posture or health bar to give me hope. I'd fight him and maybe get him 1/3 of the way through his first bar before he'd exhaust me. That's what led me to believe that there was some kind of gear/level check in front of me and sent me off through the world to see what I could find.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I don’t know how many attempts Gerinacho took me. It’s probably better for me to measure those attempts in hours, which I’d put somewhere in the 7-8 mark. That’s just repeatedly banging my head against it over the course of a week or so.

I found it such a soul destroying experience that I only progressed for about a further hour afterwards then just lost all steam with the game. That said, I still regard Sekiro extremely highly and want to go back to it at some point.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Bumhead posted:

I don’t know how many attempts Gerinacho took me.

Petition to replace referring to him as Gonichumi to this.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
Eyyyyy it's me Jerry Nacho, give me immortality!!!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Half-off on Steam until the 20th.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bumhead posted:

I don’t know how many attempts Gerinacho took me. It’s probably better for me to measure those attempts in hours, which I’d put somewhere in the 7-8 mark. That’s just repeatedly banging my head against it over the course of a week or so.

I found it such a soul destroying experience that I only progressed for about a further hour afterwards then just lost all steam with the game. That said, I still regard Sekiro extremely highly and want to go back to it at some point.

Gerinacho is pretty cheesy, just gotta chip away at him

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Bumhead posted:

Genchiro took a lot of tries for me but it is where the game finally *clicked*. In my first 33 hours I beat 1 mini boss and just explored a lot of Hirata Estate and got stuck against Shinobi hunter and the drunkard and that second miniboss with the sword in the fort. I gave up and didnt try again until playing through elden ring and thinking maybe I needed to give it another go. my second 33 hours into the save file have been marked by pretty solid improvement, and right now I'm on the final genchiro/isshin and the genchiro phase just seems quaint when a week or two ago I was thinking "okay, this is where I give up"

whenever I get really stuck though. I walk away for at least a few hours. maybe watch a video with some tips and come back later. but I do think I've had most success on fights that I do after coming back from a break

I think the game does a good job of capitalizing on your time investment on certain bosses too. like guardian and corrupted monk took a lot of tries from me, but headless ape/bride of headless ape I got on the first try and true corrupted monk I think took four tries and very much had a "I know this, I can do this" feel to each. I also think dev are aware at what point fatigue would set in for people because screen monkeys and divine dragon are basically freebie gimmick bosses

anyways I went from thinking this game was well outside my abilities to being much more confident, good difficulty curve but that initial hurdle is rough

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I was talking with a friend recently and they admitted to giving up on sekiro shortly after release due to the Jinsuke Saze fight. Naturally this made me want to play Sekiro, so I'm doing a charmless demon bell run now. I got through Genichiro last night. Are there any bosses in particular that have given people trouble on this kind of run in the past?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Demon of Hatred

E; 7 spears ashina - Shume Masaji Oniwa if you don't backstab his bodyguard and him before the fight starts in earnest

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 19, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've paused this game again because I'm stuck on Genchiro. But I'll come back to it. Just thinking about the feeling that when fighting a boss and that red deathblow icon pops up is giving me a dopamine rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

E; 7 spears ashina - Shume Masaji Oniwa if you don't backstab his bodyguard and him before the fight starts in earnest

This fight was trivial if you backstab the bodyguard, puppet him, and then stab and puppet him again around the time you get the 1st deathblow on the 7 spears (basically this resets the timer on a puppet)

edit: gave the Genchiro/Isshin a few more goes last night and I can clear Genchiro without taking hits pretty reliably and first round Isshin without taking hits (I do have to chip his health down to 0 though) but as soon as he pulls out that spear and that traditional Japanese semi-automic pistol I start falling apart so fast. he's making big swings are covering a lot of distance and it's hard to get a read on half the moves

text editor fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 19, 2023